ESOCTV on YouTube

Germany Lukas_L99
Pro Player
Donator 01
ESO: Lukas_L99

Re: ESOCTV on YouTube

Post by Lukas_L99 »

Mitoe wrote:@momuuu FYI, this is the 2nd event this year (Grand Tour during the summer), and the 2017 Autumn Tournament ended in January this year. Aside from February through April, there wasn't much downtime this year, actually.

I actually agree about the YouTube stuff. I agree that the tournament brackets and stuff could be easier to find as well. Those are things we will work on in the future.

This tournament our primary focus was on improving rules, scheduling, and time management; and I think we've done a fantastic job in these areas. I believe this is the first ESOC tournament without any major delays (seriously, someone give @Cometk and @QueenOfdestiny some cookies for this). If you look at older tournaments they all took 1-3 weeks longer than this one because one or two rounds always got heavy delays, and there were a lot of unnecessary extensions.

We even got some cool little quality buffs such as our new animated overlays ;)

To conclude, there are a lot of changes that need to be made that are probably long overdue, but we've also fixed a lot of other overdue problems in this last event and things will only improve before the next one. If we had more manpower we could get a lot more done and put a lot more brainpower into improving some of the things you've highlighted here @momuuu, but for this tournament I can count on one hand the number of people who have had a meaningful impact on its organization and progression. Something we've already been thinking about for next year is expanding the size of our team so that we can meet these goals and adapt more easily throughout events.

Hopefully this provides a bit more perspective behind our goals and decision making this time around.

I also think the Media Team did a really good job this tournament, especially when you look at the scheduling and so many games being streamed and casted.

Sure, there are always things to improve on and people should obviously be able to criticize stuff. But we need to keep in mind people do this stuff in their free time, you can't really compare it to a game like SC2 where professionals are leading the marketing stuff, right?
Netherlands MCJim
Retired Contributor
ESO: MCJim

Post by MCJim »

momuuu wrote:
MCJim wrote:Speaking about the YouTube discussion... The reasons against changing the YouTube policy are in this post: viewtopic.php?p=331104#p331091 It's simple: the majority of the people that filled in the survey, want one video a day. I'd say the discussion is closed.

I for one, can't just totally change the policy of the YouTube channel because there's a small group of people that want to see the games on YouTube immediately. We don't have the manpower, I don't have the time for it and the most important reason: this group of the up to date tournament followers (Twitch audience) is way smaller than the group that likes to follow the tournament on YouTube. Therefore I stand up for their interest: meaning ONE video per day!

Of course people want to have one upload every day over fewer uploads you muppet. That's just irrelevant.

The relevant part is that over 50% of people wants important matches to be uploaded ASAP. If you were to actually look at what people want, instead of being totally biased........

The first sentence of your first post really implies you want to have everything uploaded immediately, muppet!

momuuu wrote:Please just upload the tournament games asap.
:food: My AoE3 YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/MCJimAgeofEmpiresIII
:wood: My AoE3 Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/MCJim_

:coin: Age of Streaming YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/AgeOfStreaming
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

The point that I think jerom is trying to make is that the big tourney games should be expedited instead of being several weeks behind
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

gibson wrote:The point that I think jerom is trying to make is that the big tourney games should be expedited instead of being several weeks behind

Yes, this. I'm sure the actual stats will back me up on this.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Of course they will. This has never not happened in a major aoe tourney, because there is no way to hold anyone accountable to deadlines without eliminating content.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

I think most people are fine with having a pr40 bash a pr25 in the ro16 be uploaded later and have kynesie was raphel uploaded sooner
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

O this is YouToob, I'm a 'diot
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

id like to see the videos fairly soon after theyve been played, for example i missed rapha vs somppu and its still not on youtube despite being several rounds ago
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

Not asking for the media team or the staff in general, just wondering: who would want to help out with some of the media, social media, PR or other related stuff?

I hear the word manpower a few times, but I won't believe that that should be the bottleneck.
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

MCJim wrote:
momuuu wrote:
Show hidden quotes

There are no demands, only observations on how ESOC fails to engage the slightly less dedicated user in almost every regard. And the solution isnt unreasonable at all: instead of purposely delaying uploading games to youtube they should just upload to youtube within a week of the round finishing so that they actually keep up with the tournament. Thats not unreasonable at all..

It's important to upload YouTube videos on a stable base, so fans keep fed by nonstop content. Videos will get more views and the channel is able to grow faster.

When you bring more details into it, it's all about which group is the biggest. Followers of the tournament on Twitch or followers of the tournament on YouTube. Twitch followers (like Jerom) want to immediately see the games on YouTube, so they are always up to date when a stream goes live again. YouTube followers follow the tournament on YouTube, and mostly don't watch the streams. This group is okay to have daily videos, because they don't watch Twitch anyways so there's no reason to keep up to date of the current state of the tournament. (I've also never seen a comment in the comment section on YouTube of someone who's complaining about the YouTube videos being released too slowly.)

Which group is the biggest and we should listen to? That's the YouTube follower group. In less than 24 hours, a video gets about 1k views. This exists out of many unique people, more than the average Twitch stream gets. This means that we'd lose the biggest group of viewers when we annoy them with 10 videos in one day. This group wants to follow it slowly, one video a day.

Keeping up with Twitch and thus more videos per day also means more downtime on the channel, because we have to wait for the exports or there are no streams to be exported anymore. It gives more pressure to me to have everything ready in a certain time. I can't promise I can keep up at any moment of my life. This would require more manpower.

I understand you want to focus on the YouTube community, but I feel like we have the wrong approach. The YouTube channel was made so people could watch back a stream when they missed it, so they could still follow the tournament. The focus is clearly not on building a YouTube community, because we are uploading very simple content without putting effort into building an actual channel. I think we need to focus on pleasing ESOC and the Twitch community, by uploading every good series as soon as we are able to.

However, I also want to build a YouTube community, which is why I think we should upload more diverse and interesting content. Good series are already interesting, and just need a good introduction, thumbnail and title to work. Other content, like interviews, podcasts, hype and news videos etc, should be uploaded more often. This might make the average viewer interested in ESOC, while being about AoE3 primarily.

A good example is your community channel. A random VOD from a random stream on that channel gets more views than the finals of the Sup Cup #3, Dros analytics or the Heart of the Cards Tournament from Inter&H2O on our channel. Why? This is because of building a community, marketing, making the channel interesting and putting in more time and effort. Here you can see the examples:
Image Image

Now, I have been in the staff for a long time, and I know getting realiable people who take their responsibility can be hard. However, I think we need to start looking for more help. With YouTube, but also with the other parts of marketing that were mentioned before.

I really appreciate the amount of work there is being put into a tournament, and I'm sorry for not focusing on the positive side, but I hope I can make some meaningful suggestions.
Germany QueenOfdestiny
Retired Contributor
ESO: QueenOfdestiny

Post by QueenOfdestiny »

The discussion is getting a bit out of hand. Suggestions can be given here https://goo.gl/forms/WhYNPyosQuv9B6YT2
We know about this problem and working on it.
Thanks for putting your thoughts into this!
We soon gonna post results :flowers:
shit juice :hmm:
United States of America Cometk
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

momuuu wrote:Please just upload the tournament games asap. Youtube has 0 value to me because by the time serious matches are uploaded they've long been spoiled. And given that I currently don't actively follow the scene but simply occasionally look at a twitch stream, I am having a hard time following the tournament. There are almost no news posts here, the content on youtube is mostly irrelevant pr25 players duking it out to get bashed by a serious player and the twitch streams are packed with similair boring second chance games. The notification "ESOCTV has gone live" is worthless to me because I dont know what I will find when I tune in. Chances are its just another irrelevant game or showmatch, or that Ill be staring at the countdown for over an hour. Youtube uploads are mostly irrelevant and there seems to be little way to otherwise keep up with the tournament or follow the storyline of it because there is also a lack of newsposts. The only real thing there is to follow the tournament is some google calendar thing which is unfortunate because a) i dont use it and b) if I would use it I would never want to have it cluttered with aoe3 related stuff.

Honestly, in every regard esoc is failing to engage the slightly less dedicated person. There are almost no real tools to keep up, unless you want to dig through poorly named twitch vods while trying to not get spoiled but also trying to skip all the irrelevant matches.

From the above quote, this is what I gather you want out of ESOC in regards to Media management:
1) Upload tournament games from Twitch to YouTube ASAP
2) More news posts
3) Don't post low-level games to the YouTube (or at least post them at low-traffic times so that they're easier to ignore)
4) Don't stream Second Chance and avoid streaming showmatches

Is this accurate? Could you elaborate more on what it is exactly that you would like to see?
United States of America Cometk
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

momuuu wrote:I have a serious question for the media team:

Given the insane competition for entertainment there currently is in the world*, how would a non-diehard fan keep up with this tournament and end up being engaged into the community due to the tournament? What are the realistic means for this type of person to actually follow a tournament? What makes it so that the games that currently show up on youtube aren't glorified showmatches with little extra weight to it? How can it be that I don't even know at what stage of the tournament we are at? Are we looking at the finals, the semi finals? I wouldn't even know, I don't even know who's going to face who next up. How can the current approach even be justified to people that aren't diehards?

This has been answered a few times before already, but my take on it is that if somebody has an intrinsic interest in AoE3 they'll naturally gravitate towards our organized and relatively professional (relative to other AoE3 YouTube stuff out there) content. Where else do you see AoE3 tournaments being hosted? Nowhere. If what you're proposing is that we find ways to inspire the young children of the next generation to pick up the venerated game of Age of Empires 3, then my man that's just not something we could ever hope to do. ESOC is the only place that hosts tournaments of this scale. If you already like AoE3, we do a reasonably fine job of facilitating events to play in and content you enjoy. Maybe not to the likings of everyone, but a reasonably fine job for most people.

I think a big solution to your woes is for the Tournament Bracket to have better visibility. Earlier in this thread Chusik mentioned it being hard to find, and that's certainly true. It's not intuitive for everyone where to find the "tournaments page" -- it's tucked away on the sidebar between a bunch of other important stuff. Easier access for this is something we should, and will, fix.

momuuu wrote:A good example is starcraft 2. I used to play sc2, lost motivation for it. However, I continued watching GSL because those guys actually hit all the aspects relevant to engage someone with their content (contrarily to ESOC) and kept me watching their stuff for multiple years without me even touching the game. I think I didn't play a game from somewhere around 2014 till basically the start of 2018, and yet I watched all their content. That's because they manage it well, don't flood their channel with B-tier players, because the notification 'GSL has gone live' garantuees you will be watching good fucking content, because you know every upload on youtube or whatever other platform is used will be a great upload. The result of this is that after 4 years I got back into the game, because watching all that great content kept me involved and eventually got me wanting to play again.

ESOC's equivalent? Flooding the youtube with pr20 vs pr20 while ignoring actually properly covering their only premiere event this entire year. But no, you're a negative guy if you bring up serious arguments and point out extremely severe flaws (complete mismanagement imo).

A quick look on Liquipedia tells me that the 2018 GSL Season 1 event had a prizepool of $160,000. That's x100 the size of our prizepool for our completely community-funded Autumn Championship. Not to mention the fact that the GSL has professional organization, professional casters, and professional players.

Do you realize where you are? Your comparison is not serious at all. Yes, you're absolutely right in that there are flaws with ESOC and our tournaments and our marketing and our community, but to say it's due to "complete mismanagement" is either misplaced hyperbole or just ignorance.

Let me give you a personal anecdote of mine. There's a popular YouTube music reviewer by the name of Anthony Fantano whose videos I've been watching since 2013. I used to watch his videos so often that I could tell you all of the scores from his 2014 reviews, even now, 4 years after the fact. Well nowadays I usually won't click on his videos when I see them in my subbox. When I do, it's usually only if I see an obscure band name and want to check the genre tags and the score that he posts in the description, so that I can get a sense of if it's a niche project I might like, but even then I won't watch the review. Well, what changed? Not much has changed in Anthony's style of videos; he still has the same format and delivers his reviews in the same way. What changed was that I'm not as interested in spending my time listening to a review that I might already be able to guess his opinion on. I'm busier than I was 4 years ago and don't have as much time to spend engaging in music culture. And when I do have time, I'd rather be enjoying my other hobbies, or listening to actual music. I'm still subscribed to him and enjoy his videos, but they aren't a big part of my life. Maybe you feel the same way about ESOC and AoE3?
Netherlands dietschlander
Lancer

Post by dietschlander »

Please do the opposite!!
Theres going to be a dam, the great dam and we'll let the beavers pay for it - Edeholland 2016
Anyway, nuancing isn't your forte, so I'll agree with you like I would with a 8 year old: violence is bad, don't do hard drugs and stay in school Benj98
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

Cometk wrote:
momuuu wrote:Please just upload the tournament games asap. Youtube has 0 value to me because by the time serious matches are uploaded they've long been spoiled. And given that I currently don't actively follow the scene but simply occasionally look at a twitch stream, I am having a hard time following the tournament. There are almost no news posts here, the content on youtube is mostly irrelevant pr25 players duking it out to get bashed by a serious player and the twitch streams are packed with similair boring second chance games. The notification "ESOCTV has gone live" is worthless to me because I dont know what I will find when I tune in. Chances are its just another irrelevant game or showmatch, or that Ill be staring at the countdown for over an hour. Youtube uploads are mostly irrelevant and there seems to be little way to otherwise keep up with the tournament or follow the storyline of it because there is also a lack of newsposts. The only real thing there is to follow the tournament is some google calendar thing which is unfortunate because a) i dont use it and b) if I would use it I would never want to have it cluttered with aoe3 related stuff.

Honestly, in every regard esoc is failing to engage the slightly less dedicated person. There are almost no real tools to keep up, unless you want to dig through poorly named twitch vods while trying to not get spoiled but also trying to skip all the irrelevant matches.

From the above quote, this is what I gather you want out of ESOC in regards to Media management:
1) Upload tournament games from Twitch to YouTube ASAP
2) More news posts
3) Don't post low-level games to the YouTube (or at least post them at low-traffic times so that they're easier to ignore)

Is this accurate? Could you elaborate more on what it is exactly that you would like to see?

1) upload tournament games in a timely manner so that it's possible for people that missed the streams from the past round to catch up with what happened so they can watch the streams in the upcoming round without them actually being spoilers. Things showing up in the youtube feed is free advertising compared to people having to guess there have been worthwhile matches streamed on twitch and go out of their way to remember and look those up.

2) yes, writing newsposts is not hard.

3) Don't have low-level games get priority over serious games. I get that in general content is better than no content, but low level games right now completely dillute the good content. I do see that there are people that do enjoy watching that stuff but I am sure there is at least a reasonable audience that doesn't really want to see mediocre players duke it out as frequently.

4) Depending on what group you want to target more, yes. Streaming low quality games definitely has a negative impact as it devaluates the weight of the ESOCTV notifications; When people know that there is a serious garantuee that there will be a good stream of good games when ESOCTV goes live, they are far more likely to tune in. This principle has even been tested, first during winter 2016 and then also during autumn 2016, where we would not stream unless announced beforehand, with good casters and mostly quality games and always in HD. I think this almost tripled the viewercounts, if not more compared to Summer 2015 or this tournament (the latter being not the greatest comparison, as there are serious issues with both player level and available casters right now of course). By being more picky about what you stream you will be more succesful in engaging a much wider audience.
Second chance started out as a tournament for the players, for the lts, captains and majors to actually have a closer playing field where they are more likely to actually make a serious run and have a serious shot at winning. Initially, it wasn't as much intended as yet another streaming event as much as it was meant to be an event for the players to have fun playing some more rounds in a 'competitive' setting. I don't know if streaming these should have as much priority as it has right now, especially if you consider how much this devaluates the other content on ESOC. After all, it makes the garantuee of ESOCTV worth less and imo it also creates a bit of chaos as to whats going on right now - at least it does to me.

In all honesty not all of these suggestions are win-only decisions, but I think a crucial part of the community is mostly being ignored. Firstly let me emphasize that I'm not just saying this because it would be beneficial to me, I've actually since the beginning of the media team argued for this group of players. Since the very beginning I've stated that I dislike how youtube is handled for all these reasons. And now that I am part of this group of people that is slightly less involved, it only confirms my ideas about this as I now experience this first hand. I think there are many people like this that can be involved in the community, that do love age of empires 3 but have lost the willpower to actually play the game. There's nothing in this world that scratches that eternal itch of wanting to play aoe3 than seeing good players use very smart build orders. The way snowww has been playing has left me pretty close to wanting to play aoe3 again. I feel like if all this stuff had been hyped up more and if I had been able to follow these games more closely more easily, that I might have been playing aoe3 again due to it. And there surely are hundreds of people like this out there, given that we've hit viewer numbers of up to 600-900 for later rounds of tournaments. I even think the majority of interested people doesn't actively browse ESOC and twitch to find out what is going on, and can't catch that many streams (after all, the average person has work/university and social activities throughout the week), and that huge group of people is suffering right now due to the youtube policy - a policy that is catered not towards those potentially competitive players but towards inactive casuals.

If ESOC should have a priority (unfortunately in my experience ESOC has little goals or vision right now, but that's a different discussion) then in my eyes it should be trying to involve and actively engage as many potential active competitive players as possible. This would seem especially important if you consider the state of the aoe3 community; it's hard and time consuming to play aoe3 because it's very hard to actually find active competitive players to play the game with (preferably on EP, which is even harder). These tournaments are a prime way to inspire and motivate these players to pick up the game again or to start playing on EP. Yet, especially the youtube policy actively makes it harder for these people to be involved. That's a sad thing to me.

Cometk wrote:
momuuu wrote:I have a serious question for the media team:

Given the insane competition for entertainment there currently is in the world*, how would a non-diehard fan keep up with this tournament and end up being engaged into the community due to the tournament? What are the realistic means for this type of person to actually follow a tournament? What makes it so that the games that currently show up on youtube aren't glorified showmatches with little extra weight to it? How can it be that I don't even know at what stage of the tournament we are at? Are we looking at the finals, the semi finals? I wouldn't even know, I don't even know who's going to face who next up. How can the current approach even be justified to people that aren't diehards?

This has been answered a few times before already, but my take on it is that if somebody has an intrinsic interest in AoE3 they'll naturally gravitate towards our organized and relatively professional (relative to other AoE3 YouTube stuff out there) content. Where else do you see AoE3 tournaments being hosted? Nowhere. If what you're proposing is that we find ways to inspire the young children of the next generation to pick up the venerated game of Age of Empires 3, then my man that's just not something we could ever hope to do. ESOC is the only place that hosts tournaments of this scale. If you already like AoE3, we do a reasonably fine job of facilitating events to play in and content you enjoy. Maybe not to the likings of everyone, but a reasonably fine job for most people.

I think a big solution to your woes is for the Tournament Bracket to have better visibility. Earlier in this thread Chusik mentioned it being hard to find, and that's certainly true. It's not intuitive for everyone where to find the "tournaments page" -- it's tucked away on the sidebar between a bunch of other important stuff. Easier access for this is something we should, and will, fix.

momuuu wrote:A good example is starcraft 2. I used to play sc2, lost motivation for it. However, I continued watching GSL because those guys actually hit all the aspects relevant to engage someone with their content (contrarily to ESOC) and kept me watching their stuff for multiple years without me even touching the game. I think I didn't play a game from somewhere around 2014 till basically the start of 2018, and yet I watched all their content. That's because they manage it well, don't flood their channel with B-tier players, because the notification 'GSL has gone live' garantuees you will be watching good fucking content, because you know every upload on youtube or whatever other platform is used will be a great upload. The result of this is that after 4 years I got back into the game, because watching all that great content kept me involved and eventually got me wanting to play again.

ESOC's equivalent? Flooding the youtube with pr20 vs pr20 while ignoring actually properly covering their only premiere event this entire year. But no, you're a negative guy if you bring up serious arguments and point out extremely severe flaws (complete mismanagement imo).

A quick look on Liquipedia tells me that the 2018 GSL Season 1 event had a prizepool of $160,000. That's x100 the size of our prizepool for our completely community-funded Autumn Championship. Not to mention the fact that the GSL has professional organization, professional casters, and professional players.

Do you realize where you are? Your comparison is not serious at all. Yes, you're absolutely right in that there are flaws with ESOC and our tournaments and our marketing and our community, but to say it's due to "complete mismanagement" is either misplaced hyperbole or just ignorance.

This might not have been clear enough, but I don't even have 1/10th of the passion for sc2 as I have for aoe3. For most of my life aoe3 has been the primary game I have been playing and it's an absolute joy to strategize or think about the game. Sc2 on the other hand has just been a change of pace and the only real platform to easily and quickly find good 1v1 games in an RTS. If aoe3 was as active as sc2 and had similair matchmaking, I don't think I'd ever have played sc2. But, like a large portion of the aoe3 community back then, I did pick up sc2 hoping to find a balanced and active RTS with good matchmaking. I did find that, but I also found a game that is otherwise not nearly as great as aoe3.

To me the content for aoe3 doesn't have to be nearly as good to watch it. After all, I've spend a lot of time even watching simple first person aoe3 content by at best decent players, yet I have never done anything similair in sc2. I didn't actually proceed to watch any content other than the GSL. Sc2 content to me isn't as great as aoe3 content.

But actually the anecdote features a very important concept that could easily be extrapolated. Someone loses a bit of passion for a game, but regains that by watching tournaments of that game. He is still involved because the streams of that tournament are managed in a way that keeps him involved with little effort: Whenever that stream goes live and notifies you of it, it always has the same sort of content. Thus, you never have to dig to find that bit of content that you enjoy, you are offered it on a plate, ready to be consumed. This is entirely equivalent to what ESOCTV could do. However, ESOCTV currently instead dillutes the content that would keep people engaged with lesser content and announcement hidden away somewhere in a subsection of the forum. It's an unfortunate state of affairs.

Let me give you a personal anecdote of mine. There's a popular YouTube music reviewer by the name of Anthony Fantano whose videos I've been watching since 2013. I used to watch his videos so often that I could tell you all of the scores from his 2014 reviews, even now, 4 years after the fact. Well nowadays I usually won't click on his videos when I see them in my subbox. When I do, it's usually only if I see an obscure band name and want to check the genre tags and the score that he posts in the description, so that I can get a sense of if it's a niche project I might like, but even then I won't watch the review. Well, what changed? Not much has changed in Anthony's style of videos; he still has the same format and delivers his reviews in the same way. What changed was that I'm not as interested in spending my time listening to a review that I might already be able to guess his opinion on. I'm busier than I was 4 years ago and don't have as much time to spend engaging in music culture. And when I do have time, I'd rather be enjoying my other hobbies, or listening to actual music. I'm still subscribed to him and enjoy his videos, but they aren't a big part of my life. Maybe you feel the same way about ESOC and AoE3?

This bothers me a bit. It's a fun anecdote but I don't understand how you can reach that conclusion without knowing much at all. I still like the game at its core, however as I've said a few times before on these forums I just dread the waiting times for games (and the quality of games once you finally find someone thats somewhat close to your skill level) and I dread the idea that improving more would mean it would be even harder to find games. But still, I have a burning passion for the mechanics and strategies behind the game and I'm pretty sure one can see that in my reasonable frequent posts on ESOC. I actually also have a tendency of following games even when not playing those anymore. For example, I still sometimes watch dota games, I've followed sc2 even if I haven't touched the game in months and I similarly still watch plenty of hearthstone gameplay.

The reality also is that something becomes more fun to follow once you follow it more actively. For example, I tend to watch cycling quite a bit. But it only truly becomes fun when I've followed some tour from the beginning till the end and know the details of the competition and cyclists. Similairly, following sc2 is much more fun when you're more familiar with the players, their stories, the metagame and challenges that people face. These ESOC Tournaments to me would be more fun if I knew the storylines. I would have actually been more excited to see hazza or kynesie or so play if I had had the opportunity to familiarize me with the things that went down in earlier rounds. Yet, this has been hard because there are almost no relevant videos on youtube to catch up with and because I won't start digging through the twitch channel in the hopes of finding relevant games.

You can fault me for that, but to me that seems like it's very normal behaviour. You come home and obviously the ESOC tournament is not directly on your mind. You'll start up your computer, and open whatever sites you tend to visit for daily content. I think many people will visit places like facebook, youtube, reddit, ESOC etc, but I believe few people will actually look at past twitch broadcasts, as almost all big content creators will simply upload their stuff to youtube in a pretty timely fashion. It is thus logical behaviour to only look at youtube for new video content, and this is what I do for example. Thus, I never actually get involved with the tournament. The few times that I do watch are by pure chance or because I've read some vague comments on discords that I'm in that there's a reasonably enjoyable series going on. That's actually my primary way of realizing ESOCTV is live with a good way; I really don't respond to the twitch notification because it feels like the majority of the time I tune in to a low level match or stare at a waiting screen for an hour or so, I don't see anything relevant appear in my youtube feed (as far as that goes, the RO16 apperantly just started) and the schedule on ESOC is hidden somewhere in forums that are mostly cluttered with scheduling. These three things can be improved and should be improved if you want to involve a larger audience. Create posts/newsposts on ESOC more frequently, simply updating old posts might seem like a clean way to do announcements but people will easily miss that - they won't show up in unread posts and I often think I've already seen the newspost and just ignore it. Upload to youtube more quickly. This is an amazing medium to reach your followers and should be utilized imo. Lastly, consider at least slightly adjusting twitch policies: be more weary of unannounced streams, be careful with dilluting the good content with random showmatches or low level second chance games and please don't start the stream so far in advance - it really disincentivizes me to watch because the chance that I tune in to a waiting screen for more than an hour is pretty large nowadays.
India rsy
Jaeger
Donator 01

Post by rsy »

Are we forgetting the fact that we can rematch past broadcasts/highlights on twitch if we missed a stream? I mean that's what I do anyway
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor
ESO: BrookG

Post by BrookG »

Twitch is harder for rewatching previous streams. I have always had trouble with buffering, breaks, and general video quality.
Correlation doesn't mean causation.
http://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

"mr.brookg go buy jeans and goto the club with somppuli" - Princeofkabul, July 2018
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Yea watching twitch vods is terrible
Netherlands dietschlander
Lancer

Post by dietschlander »

BrookG wrote:Twitch is harder for rewatching previous streams. I have always had trouble with buffering, breaks, and general video quality.

Same here, highly prefer YT to rewatch (and comment).
Theres going to be a dam, the great dam and we'll let the beavers pay for it - Edeholland 2016
Anyway, nuancing isn't your forte, so I'll agree with you like I would with a 8 year old: violence is bad, don't do hard drugs and stay in school Benj98
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

Cometk wrote:@momuuu you might find this a useful resource viewtopic.php?f=563&t=15483

thx a lot :flowers:
Hippocrits are the worst of animals. I love elifants.