What is the type of playstyle you want to see/play the most?

What type of play do you want to see more of?

Colonial play
41%
Late game
29%
Fine as it is
29%
Other
2%

Total votes: 49

No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

What is the type of playstyle you want to see/play the most?

Post by Jaeger »

There has recently been some talk of buffing colonial play. I think we may all enjoy a new style of play for some time, but I don't think colonial play is the way to maximize the fun of both watching and playing.

I think the the biggest obstacle to fun is that games end when the natural resources run out. The reason is: if mills/plantations are viable, it will lead to more late game games. The reason why lategame is good is because it opens the door to a whole new set of strategies which haven't been explored too much. In lategame, you can have a much more diverse unit composition; mortars, horse art, factories, heavy cannons, new and cool HC shipments, natives etc.

There are also more decisions to be made; ship military upgrades or economic ones? Ship factories or HC? Invest in german SW boom or not? Etc.

The biggest objection I can think of is that this will lead to turtly play, which is boring. But I think if we combine this change with a massive wall nerf (for example build limit on walls), it will be perfect.

To see an example a really good such game, here is Princeofkabul vs Nagayumi, Game 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bo8pCiVSTpU
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
Spain Snuden
Jaeger
ESO: Snuden

Re: What is the type of playstyle you want to see/play the most?

Post by Snuden »

I like to watch either a very aggressive rush or a Kynesie water play strategy.
Skirm/goon age 3 play makes me close the stream before the players even reach 30 villagers.

When playing I often end up with a passive "Age 2 unit mass" style, which haven't really worked for 1600+ games, and probably never will.
Looks cool on the post-game graph though.
[Sith] - Baphomet
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

Each game can be interesting, regardless of the setting, but I seem to enjoy a lot games where a lot of creativity is involved, which is usually determined by late game, which in turn opens up more possibilities. Colonial skirmishes, where economies are small and every unit counts, are quite tense and satisfactory, too.
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

pecelot wrote:Each game can be interesting, regardless of the setting, but I seem to enjoy a lot games where a lot of creativity is involved, which is usually determined by late game, which in turn opens up more possibilities. Colonial skirmishes, where economies are small and every unit counts, are quite tense and satisfactory, too.

I completely agree. But the thing is, if I had to see one style forever, I would rather see the lategame style. My concern is that if we buff colonial, we will see just more of the colonial style with only 2-3 types of units, and even less of the lategame style that we see now.
India Challenger_Marco
ESOC Media Team
ESO: challenger_marco

Post by Challenger_Marco »

It should be just as it is ,no need of buffing ,nerfing or anything.
:nwc:
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

more extreme rushes
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

ovi12 wrote:
pecelot wrote:Each game can be interesting, regardless of the setting, but I seem to enjoy a lot games where a lot of creativity is involved, which is usually determined by late game, which in turn opens up more possibilities. Colonial skirmishes, where economies are small and every unit counts, are quite tense and satisfactory, too.

I completely agree. But the thing is, if I had to see one style forever, I would rather see the lategame style. My concern is that if we buff colonial, we will see just more of the colonial style with only 2-3 types of units, and even less of the lategame style that we see now.

watch treaty.
Germany yemshi
Jaeger
ESO: yemshi

Post by yemshi »

Good and helpful advice!
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

big boi oreo schooling those filthy rookies, sorry, sir
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

umeu wrote:
ovi12 wrote:

Treaty is too much walls and too much infinite res. Watch Prince vs Nagayumi and come again

watch treaty.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

More boring part is people only watch one person's recs and just copy their bo's. there was bunch of good players in the past playing at any age with their own bo's such as Musketjr, Goongoon, Diarouga, Acergame, Mongo10 asian good players such as Jui, Shmras, Boneng, Nagayumi, setugen, nowadays people stick to certain bo's and playing with them. Im sure most players unaware what kind of bonuses the nat improvments give or how rattan rush is broken as hell. There isnt much thing you can do about it
Great Britain Interjection
Howdah
Donator 04
ESO: Interjection

Post by Interjection »

I think you're asking the wrong question with that poll.

I don't want to vote because my answer is: 'A healthy blend of different styles'.

I think a good start would be to reduce the cost of mills and plantations and possibly make the upgrades cheaper (or at least research more quickly). Perhaps land grab could also have this effect.
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

I just wanna see more bow/pike. <3
Pay more attention to detail.
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

Interjection wrote:I think you're asking the wrong question with that poll.

I don't want to vote because my answer is: 'A healthy blend of different styles'.

I think a good start would be to reduce the cost of mills and plantations and possibly make the upgrades cheaper (or at least research more quickly). Perhaps land grab could also have this effect.

Yes that's true. I guess my point is that out of all the styles, late-game is the best, and I'm worried that buffind colonial play like some people want will make games even less likely to reach that state.
No Flag 91
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by 91 »

Topic title and poll question are different, would be good if someone update. Anyway, the poll says "What type of play do you want to see more of?" :smile:
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Post by zoom »

Neither. I want diversity. As Goodspeed has pointed out a few dozen times, though, a developed meta gravitates toward relative greed and late-game play.
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

91 wrote:

Topic title and poll question are different, would be good if someone update. Anyway, the poll says "What type of play do you want to see more of?" :smile:

I don't see how the topic and poll questions are very different, they are almost identical.
No Flag ssaraf
Dragoon
ESO: robinhood_xing

Post by ssaraf »

ovi12 wrote:To see an example a really good such game, here is Princeofkabul vs Nagayumi, Game 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bo8pCiVSTpU

I agree with @Jaeger and the above game is my favourite game of all time in ESOC history. Thanks @princeofkabul for this insane game. <3
No Flag 91
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by 91 »

ovi12 wrote:
91 wrote:

I don't see how the topic and poll questions are very different, they are almost identical.

If people vote they like colonial the most it means they want a majority of the games colonial based.

If people vote they like to see more colonial it can still mean they want a mix of all types, but that the current state of the game is not enough colonial.

So I'm not sure what the poll is really saying

:biggrin:
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

91 wrote:
ovi12 wrote:
Show hidden quotes

If people vote they like colonial the most it means they want a majority of the games colonial based.

If people vote they like to see more colonial it can still mean they want a mix of all types, but that the current state of the game is not enough colonial.

So I'm not sure what the poll is really saying

:biggrin:

Fair enough, but I expect people's interpretations and responses to be kind of all over the place, so as long as the topic and poll title point to approximately the same idea, we will have the desired discussion. I'm expecting ESOC standards for the responses not stackexchange ones :P
Brazil Luciofrancosi
Skirmisher
ESO: luciofrancosi

Post by Luciofrancosi »

To be fair I think the game is ok the way it is, there are a few things that I believe that could make it better like making water more contestable, nerfing dock attack would be a great way of doing this!!
If ppl want colonial play so much, than I think xbows could use a buff on this case!! Since promoting this kinda of playstyle will put some civs in huge disadvantages, specially when dealing against a civ like India or russia!!
"Supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting"

Sun Tzu - The art of war
United States of America Hidddy_
Retired Contributor
ESO: Hidalgito

Post by Hidddy_ »

Let's play yukon and Painted Desert again
De Funk
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

One option should be "kynesie"
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

zoom wrote:Neither. I want diversity. As Goodspeed has pointed out a few dozen times, though, a developed meta gravitates toward relative greed and late-game play.

This is absolute bullshit though. A meta gravitates towards what is best. If aggression is best the meta will be aggressive.
Australia VooDoo_BoSs
Dragoon
ESO: VooDoo_BoSs

Post by VooDoo_BoSs »

ovi12 wrote:

This.

By definition, the variety of gameplay we see during lategame is greater than early-game due to the greater number of units / techs, etc. available. Having this variety is the difference between a stale game and one that stays interesting / exciting (eg: early TWC was dominated by Iro at the mid-high level due to their dominant strategies).

I think that FIs with some civs are becoming a bit more popular which is refreshing, and the water boom meta is also a nice change. Would love to see more of this and buffs to other mid/late-game technologies such as unique church card.