How to herd

Turkey HUMMAN
Lancer
ESO: HUMMAN

How to herd

Post by HUMMAN »

Sometimes while herding hunt goes back if there are buildings to the direction i wanna herd. Its like they bounca back. Any tips?
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Re: How to herd

Post by edeholland »

When the hunt has moved too far from the starting position, it will sometimes herd back. This is to prevent players from moving hunts all the way over the map to their base and away from the opponent. On RE maps, this is quite annoying, but on ESOC maps you usually have hunts very close to your base, so backherding should not be a problem.

I think it's calculated from the position your villager is standing when it shoots an animal, so you can fiddle with that.

Check also: https://youtu.be/gp26YQWnqGo
No Flag 91
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by 91 »

Actually villager position does not matter, at least not as the only parameter, and you can test this:

- Start herding a hunt towards your TC, while standing as far away as possible from the hunts, shooting the animal with the greatest distance from your TC
- When you get a backherd the first time, mark the villager position by building a wall pillar
- Now herd again, but this time position the villager as close as possible to your TC, shooting the animal closest to your TC. It may take a few attempts but you can very clearly stand much closer to the TC without backherd now.

However it's not easy to determine exactly what affects it, after tons of testing I feel like it's simply like an invisible circle marking the position of the whole herd. The invisible circle moves with the herd, maybe slower or not at all if animals walk by themselves (as opposed to shooting them). If the circle gets too far away from the herd's starting position, they will backherd.

Important to notice is that when you find a hunt it might not be its exact starting position, as they tend to wander around...

I've seen comments and had the feeling that number of animals makes a difference, but I have trouble making any exact science of it.. :hmm:

I've not managed to make buildings affect the results, I've tested a bit, but not extensively.
Turkey HUMMAN
Lancer
ESO: HUMMAN

Post by HUMMAN »

So i herd in transition, is it valid to herd in age1 if u are gonna camp for 10 minutes? Since herds wander around.
Germany agrondergermane
Skirmisher
Donator 01

Post by agrondergermane »

HUMMAN wrote:So i herd in transition, is it valid to herd in age1 if u are gonna camp for 10 minutes? Since herds wander around.

depends on map and matchup. if u dont age later than normal and the hunts are far its allways good to herd early. otherwise transition is early enough.
-Deep down I know it's me, and deep down I know you are so jealous :).- Sir_Musket 2018
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

buildings certainly don't affect it; from my perspective back-herding happens very rarely, and although obviously annoying, can be dealt with
India Challenger_Marco
ESOC Media Team
ESO: challenger_marco

Post by Challenger_Marco »

Simple hunt mechanics - The herd moves towards the direction you shoot untill 8 shots starting from the spawn,then it backherds , its for all type herds ,tested and verified.
:nwc: