Would you like a winter or spring tournament?

Would you like a winter or spring tournament?

Winter
51%
Spring
49%

Total votes: 86

No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Re: Would you like a winter or spring tournament?

Post by kami_ryu »

Bi annual events has my vote.

but sprinkle in some smaller things

maybe like a top 8 invitational based on esoc elo or something.
United States of America Cometk
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

kami_ryu wrote:Bi annual events has my vote.

idea of a ladder tournament has been on the backburner for a long time but it’s not something we really have the resources to host rn
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

Winter is coming bois
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

IMO rare big tournaments is best, because smaller events means only the really good players will play, and that's what I'd rather see (vs. waiting 2 months for RO32 for some decent games)
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

I want more games like in ro8 onward. Real high level gameplay.
Great Britain Interjection
Howdah
Donator 04
ESO: Interjection

Post by Interjection »

momuuu wrote:I want more games like in ro8 onward. Real high level gameplay.

Seems like we need a league for that, rather than a tournament
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

I wouldn't want another major event so soon neither as a participant, developer, watcher nor donator of the one that's just concluded. Give me a break or some sort of a different, smaller event.

Conducting an event during Steam Winter sales seems to be of questionable benefit, considering new players would be outright barred from participation anyway due to the likely PR requirement. I'm not sure how likely they are to watch or donate towards a game they just bought, either.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

Interjection wrote:

Or another invitational? Content wise that was great imo. Media team jumped the gun on saying that didn't work imo.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

you guys all bragging as if you had any social life smh :hehe:
Great Britain Interjection
Howdah
Donator 04
ESO: Interjection

Post by Interjection »

Seriously though, can we not do a winter this year
Canada Warno
Dragoon
Donator 08
ESO: Warno

Post by Warno »

Ideally I think two big events a year is good.
As a viewer some smaller tournaments (2v2, random maps/civs, noob+pro) would be interesting too. Just weekend tournaments, pick top 8 that would want to compete.

As for what else I would like to see:
First person streams with mic - Mitoe/Aiz/Kaiser come to mind when they explain what they are doing, very insightful listening why they are doing what they are doing.
United States of America XeeleeFlower
Retired Contributor
Xeelee Patron

Post by XeeleeFlower »

I don't want a winter or a spring tournament. I would rather have 1 big tournament a year. Autumn seems to be a good time for that. There could be smaller tournaments leading up to the next big tourney, but I don't feel that there should be a lot of them.
Time is wise and our wounds seem to heal to the rhythm of aging,
But our past is a ghost fading out that at night it’s still haunting.

http://www.galactanet.com/oneoff/theegg_mod.html
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

We need Saturday Smackdowns, not tournaments.
Pay more attention to detail.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

1 major tournament a year is a suicide
United States of America XeeleeFlower
Retired Contributor
Xeelee Patron

Post by XeeleeFlower »

Are you going to fund more tournaments?

Edited to add: $3,200 a year for 2 big tournaments combined with other smaller tournaments is asking a lot of money from such a small community. Afaik, some donators aren't exactly flush with cash any more. :flowers:
Time is wise and our wounds seem to heal to the rhythm of aging,
But our past is a ghost fading out that at night it’s still haunting.

http://www.galactanet.com/oneoff/theegg_mod.html
Turkey HUMMAN
Lancer
ESO: HUMMAN

Post by HUMMAN »

XeeleeFlower wrote:Are you going to fund more tournaments?

++
I think esoc should ask donors to what to do.

4 tournerys kill the hype and even top player dont join or study game, it gets common. Instead do common little tourneys to make competitive scene alive and hit year with 1 big ass tourney.
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor
ESO: BrookG

Post by BrookG »

It's easier to organise semi-consistently small events with few participants or weekly streams like Smackdowns, instead of a big tournament. A big tourney soon means no break for organisers, little time to fill in the fund pot, and small participation from high level players.
Correlation doesn't mean causation.
http://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

"mr.brookg go buy jeans and goto the club with somppuli" - Princeofkabul, July 2018
Brazil macacoalbino
Howdah
ESO: MacacoAlbino
Clan: 3Huss

Post by macacoalbino »

I think I wouldnt be against having a single big tourney a year.
And I’m really excited if we could make smackdown style streams as well.
Also, I wasnt really active this year, and I’m not sure about the format used in the small events but could it be possible to sneak some 1-2 day events with few players with just bo1s and bo3s (maybe finals bo5, idk)?

Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

HUMMAN wrote:

++
At least we should come up with a system to decide how to decide how to organize future events.
Pay more attention to detail.
United States of America YungPinch
Crossbow
ESO: Alextheking61

Post by YungPinch »

I don't really care when it is I just want to see something different... Small changes like not having a civ-reset or after you won with a civ you cant play it again stuff like that would do the trick.
I would also like to see blind picks or something but as said before its not really competitive so I think the small changes are the key to another exciting tournament..
When you have to play more civs the player who is more skilled overall will win and not the guy who can do a cav semi with ger and france. (And we would see less dutch / india)
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

you don't have to throw $1.6k into one tournament
United States of America Cometk
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

[spoiler=Opinions for Winter tourney]
Sargsyan wrote:Winter would be better as alot of people tend go outside less and also there are winter vacations
Kynesie wrote:Play during winter makes more sense than during nice spring days....
Mr_Bramboy wrote:Winter all the way. I'm not keen on playing when the weather is getting nicer outside.
KINGofOsmane wrote:gaming in winter makes more sense indeed
dietschlander wrote:Winter please! To be started asap
MCJim wrote:Winter is a better time of the year, though right now I feel it's to fast compared to last Autumn tournament.
Mr_Bramboy wrote:
edeholland wrote:While I understand winter is better as a season, don't you think it's a bit early? It would start in like 1,5 months, while the previous tournament only just finished.

Mine finished three months ago - maybe more. As someone who doesn't follow the competitive scene at all, it's time for another tournament!
Interjection wrote:Winter may well be a better time to host a major. I fully support this.

But going forward let's have a ~6 month break between the start of each event
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Opinions for Spring tourney]
lemmings121 wrote:I like having 2 "main events" a year, and in between them we can try out 'beta' balance changes, with enough time to revert or change again before the next tourney. Since we are a small comunity, it takes some time to test changes, and if we make too many big tourneys, we might keep finding weird balance problems midway torneys often.

In the down time, small events can be held. Things using ideas that where discussed here recently, like the 'weird maps' thread of goodspeed or civ restrictions, etc.
edeholland wrote:While I understand winter is better as a season, don't you think it's a bit early? It would start in like 1,5 months, while the previous tournament only just finished.
kami_ryu wrote:placeholder winter event. big esoc tourney later in spring. last tourney just finished
Interjection wrote:Give the tournament staff a rest please.

Organising and casting these events is very draining for a lot of people. I think a bigger break between events is important to allow everyone to recover and for hype/anticipation to grow for the next event. Also I think this is an ideal length of time to 'test' balance changes
Sargsyan wrote:Ok lets do weekend tournaments then
zoom wrote:I want three tournaments per year and a big-ass major. Or half-and-half. Unfortunately, since there are but two, winter makes no sense with the only other one just having taken place.
zoom wrote:Also, wasn't there a lot of ESOC scheduling last time you did winter? Like, even more than the usual unusually vast amount.
MCJim wrote:Winter is a better time of the year, though right now I feel it's to fast compared to last Autumn tournament.
Lukas_L99 wrote:
Interjection wrote:Give the tournament staff a rest please.

Organising and casting these events is very draining for a lot of people. I think a bigger break between events is important to allow everyone to recover and for hype/anticipation to grow for the next event. Also I think this is an ideal length of time to 'test' balance changes

Exactly this. Too many tourneys lead to oversaturation for viewers, players and organizers.
Interjection wrote:Winter may well be a better time to host a major. I fully support this.

But going forward let's have a ~6 month break between the start of each event

ovi12 wrote:IMO rare big tournaments is best, because smaller events means only the really good players will play, and that's what I'd rather see (vs. waiting 2 months for RO32 for some decent games)
EAGLEMUT wrote:I wouldn't want another major event so soon neither as a participant, developer, watcher nor donator of the one that's just concluded. Give me a break or some sort of a different, smaller event.

Conducting an event during Steam Winter sales seems to be of questionable benefit, considering new players would be outright barred from participation anyway due to the likely PR requirement. I'm not sure how likely they are to watch or donate towards a game they just bought, either.
Warno wrote:Ideally I think two big events a year is good.
As a viewer some smaller tournaments (2v2, random maps/civs, noob+pro) would be interesting too. Just weekend tournaments, pick top 8 that would want to compete.

First person streams with mic - Mitoe/Aiz/Kaiser come to mind when they explain what they are doing, very insightful listening why they are doing what they are doing.
BrookG wrote:It's easier to organise semi-consistently small events with few participants or weekly streams like Smackdowns, instead of a big tournament. A big tourney soon means no break for organisers, little time to fill in the fund pot, and small participation from high level players.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Other opinions]
Snuden wrote:I would like to see and participate in small weekend tourneys... Something like a handicap tourney for example.

It could also be a 3v3 tourney, where each team should consist of 1 player in the 0 - 10 PR range, 1 player in the 10 - 20 PR range and the last player in the 20 - 30 PR range. Maybe make it 10 - 20, 20 - 30 and 30 - 40 ranges instead.
zoom wrote:I want three tournaments per year and a big-ass major. Or half-and-half. Unfortunately, since there are but two, winter makes no sense with the only other one just having taken place.
HUMMAN wrote:do 1 big ass tourney next year in winter and this year make small tourneys and change the meta slowly.

momuuu wrote:
Interjection wrote:

Or another invitational? Content wise that was great imo. Media team jumped the gun on saying that didn't work imo.
Warno wrote:Ideally I think two big events a year is good.

XeeleeFlower wrote:I don't want a winter or a spring tournament. I would rather have 1 big tournament a year. Autumn seems to be a good time for that. There could be smaller tournaments leading up to the next big tourney, but I don't feel that there should be a lot of them.
pecelot wrote:1 major tournament a year is a suicide

Edited to add: $3,200 a year for 2 big tournaments combined with other smaller tournaments is asking a lot of money from such a small community. Afaik, some donators aren't exactly flush with cash any more. :flowers:

pecelot wrote:you don't have to throw $1.6k into one tournament

Gendarme wrote:We need Saturday Smackdowns, not tournaments.
HUMMAN wrote:

++

4 tournerys kill the hype and even top player dont join or study game, it gets common. Instead do common little tourneys to make competitive scene alive and hit year with 1 big ass tourney.
macacoalbino wrote:I think I wouldnt be against having a single big tourney a year.
And I’m really excited if we could make smackdown style streams as well.
Also, I wasnt really active this year, and I’m not sure about the format used in the small events but could it be possible to sneak some 1-2 day events with few players with just bo1s and bo3s (maybe finals bo5, idk)?
Gendarme wrote:
HUMMAN wrote:

++
At least we should come up with a system to decide how to decide how to organize future events.
YungPinch wrote:I don't really care when it is I just want to see something different... Small changes like not having a civ-reset or after you won with a civ you cant play it again stuff like that would do the trick.
I would also like to see blind picks or something but as said before its not really competitive so I think the small changes are the key to another exciting tournament..
When you have to play more civs the player who is more skilled overall will win and not the guy who can do a cav semi with ger and france. (And we would see less dutch / india)
[/spoiler]
Reasons for a Winter Tourney
- Keeps up ESOC's momentum and January is the most active time on ESO
- It's the better season for gaming, people are more likely to be indoors
- Players who were eliminated in Autumn early have been waiting longer to play tournament matches than Top Players

Reasons for Spring Tourney
- Doesn't spend as much money
- Gives us some breathing room and doesn't overwhelm players, organizers, and viewers
- Can simply conduct other, smaller events (weekend tours, invitationals) to hold over players and viewers in anticipation for the next big event
United States of America giveuanxiety
Advanced Player
Donator 02
ESO: GiveUAnxiety

Post by giveuanxiety »

One big tournament a year would be so bad and make it pointless for me to play aoe3 at all. I would like to see a winter tournament. Also with 1 big tour or just fewer tournaments in general means the twitch channel isnt live as often and the channel and community will grow at a slower rate.
Lasol wrote: :hmm: just Saw a YouTube video with giveyouanexiaty. He Said check youre stove, if you Want to improve youre aoe3 skills.

WHAT does check your stove means? And how do you do it?
Turkey HUMMAN
Lancer
ESO: HUMMAN

Post by HUMMAN »

U can organize small tourneys to play and watch. It can still grow, in opposite making big tourney too often kills hype and less people watch it. Tell me last tourney with over 1000 viewers.
Germany yemshi
Jaeger
ESO: yemshi

Post by yemshi »

giveuanxiety wrote:One big tournament a year would be so bad and make it pointless for me to play aoe3 at all. I would like to see a winter tournament. Also with 1 big tour or just fewer tournaments in general means the twitch channel isnt live as often and the channel and community will grow at a slower rate.

Why wouldnt you play? Would you pass RO8 anyway? Or is it just the competition?