Would you like a winter or spring tournament?

Would you like a winter or spring tournament?

Winter
51%
Spring
49%

Total votes: 86

Brazil macacoalbino
Howdah
ESO: MacacoAlbino
Clan: 3Huss

Re: Would you like a winter or spring tournament?

Post by macacoalbino »

Yo, I think I recall someone’s idea to make a small event with games played on fast mode. Did that ever happen? Could it ever happen in the future also?

Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

games' length isn't a problem, rather the number of series played
United States of America dicktator_
Howdah
EWT
ESO: Conquerer999

Post by dicktator_ »

I'd like 1-2 big tournaments a year but with smaller events during downtime. The weekend tournaments were fun.
steniothejonjoe wrote:I can micro better than 99% of the player base and that's 100% objective
:mds:
France Guigs
Tournament Admin
ESO: Guigs

Post by Guigs »

What about doing a 2v2 tourney for winter ? :)

Turkey HUMMAN
Lancer
ESO: HUMMAN

Post by HUMMAN »

first of all i dont like the argument we need big tourney to keep ESOC alive. The thing is big tourneys have only "big" prize pool, level of players number of top players is not so big.(no bsop, h20, samwise, etc.) What i see is many PR 35+ players which form a solid competitive base, so do tourneys to reward them in terms of not playing vs. lows or small events like SS, weekend tourneys. Why waste big money on it if the same competitive player base would play small tourneys(with 200 dollar prize pool) anyway. Players like lordraphael were not even interested/avaible in joining weekend tourneys, let players who like aoe earn some money and they perform high level games too. I dont know main aim of big prize pool tourneys(increasing popularity? increasing competitive scene?) there are better ways to these things with the same amount of money. For example SaturdaySmackdown is probably more effective in terms of increasing popularity/interest, or advertising etc.
Instead making 3000-4000 dollar tourney once a year(or less), advertising and announcing it before may increase playerbase and viewers. Many people i know who plays aoe series are unaware of aoe3 tourneys you do.
United States of America giveuanxiety
Advanced Player
Donator 02
ESO: GiveUAnxiety

Post by giveuanxiety »

ya I play for the competition, If tournament was once a year there would be basically no reason for me to play the game.
Lasol wrote: :hmm: just Saw a YouTube video with giveyouanexiaty. He Said check youre stove, if you Want to improve youre aoe3 skills.

WHAT does check your stove means? And how do you do it?
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

giveuanxiety wrote:ya I play for the competition, If tournament was once a year there would be basically no reason for me to play the game.

Keep in mind we are talking about the major tournaments here. The ones with 120+ players and a prizepool of 500-1500 bucks. When we don't host a major, we could always host smaller tournaments, weekend tours, invitationals, smackdowns, ladder tournaments and other stuff. Or are you playing specifically for the majors?
Germany Oliveza
Pro Player
ESO: Oliveza

Post by Oliveza »

imo 1-2 big tourneys would be the best, so staff and Donators can rest , and also the hype has time to build up.
i like snudens idea of creating some smaller tournaments(Maybe you only cast the semifinals/finals) where also low-pr Players can Play, with some Kind of skill restiction(only >pr25 or sth)

Edit: if you do a winter Tournament, Keep in mind that a lot of ppl are on hoildays with Family etc during Chrismas and new-year so it might be more difficult to
schedule the Matches.
:mds: > BIGS
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

I kind of understand where GUA is coming from. Weekend tournaments, invitationals, and other events are not always open to everyone to compete in all the time, and the competition doesn't always feel the same. As a player I totally get how it would be a bit de-motivating.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

how about $500 tournament for winter and then a bigger one with $1000+ for late spring?
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

[quote="Cometk"][b]Reasons for a Winter Tourney[/b]
- Keeps up ESOC's momentum and January is the most active time on ESO
- It's the better season for gaming, people are more likely to be indoors
- Players who were eliminated in Autumn early have been waiting longer to play tournament matches than Top Players

[b]Reasons for Spring Tourney[/b]
- Doesn't spend as much money
- Gives us some breathing room and doesn't overwhelm players, organizers, and viewers
- Can simply conduct other, smaller events (weekend tours, invitationals) to hold over players and viewers in anticipation for the next big event[/quote]

Actually, I changed my mind; I didn't think about January being the most popular month. I think we should have winter tourney, soon.
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

Yay, ovi broke the forums!
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

Ovi check your quote tags please :(
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Maybe a small 16 player invitational for winter? Seeding could be i.e top 8 last tournament, 2nd chance winner, 3 wild card invitations and 4 (or invites too) last spots could have a small qualifier if needed.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

yea i want more of these 1 week/weekend type tournaments. i like the grand season thing a lot, although the setup needs some tweaking (no koth tbh, just add some special things like TWC only or that type of stuff)
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

Just adding an idea here, but should consider doing expansion based tourneys. Games wuold be more balanced but entertaining at the same time.
Image Image Image
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

Garja wrote:Just adding an idea here, but should consider doing expansion based tourneys. Games wuold be more balanced but entertaining at the same time.

As in limit all players to a single culture, like the ESOC WarChiefs Classic?
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

Yes, but without fancy rules on MUs.
Image Image Image
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

edeholland wrote:Ovi check your quote tags please :(

Tbh the point of BBCode is that it prevents users from injecting some code through the field, so I don't understand how Ovi's BBCode can break the forums' HTML/CSS. There must be something really wrong
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

Just fixed it. I am a god.
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

momuuu wrote:Yay, ovi broke the forums!

Finally my plan is complete! I have been an underling of Neuron ever since he got kicked off, and now revenge
United States of America giveuanxiety
Advanced Player
Donator 02
ESO: GiveUAnxiety

Post by giveuanxiety »

Weekend tournaments are basically pointless to me. I currently work every other weekend so that alone eliminates half of those tours for me. Then on my off weekends I want to be out doing something instead of setting a really long time commitment to aoe3. 16 man tours obviously pointless to me as I would not play in them. (Also someone saying why not have seasonal tours and winter prize of $500. Serious... the AOE3 community is for the most part in mid 20's to early 30's we have careers and one person can donate $500 for a tournament. That's not a lot of money for a tournament, people were getting made at the last tour start thinking OMG $1600 we wont have money for any more tournaments, relax people we built a good community here where most viewers are in mid 20s-30s and make some money and are happy to support a game that has provided them with lots of joy in their life.
Lasol wrote: :hmm: just Saw a YouTube video with giveyouanexiaty. He Said check youre stove, if you Want to improve youre aoe3 skills.

WHAT does check your stove means? And how do you do it?
Germany QueenOfdestiny
Retired Contributor
ESO: QueenOfdestiny

Post by QueenOfdestiny »

We will all of you inform soon what result we have for the next tournament.
We try to plan everything a bit a head. Let's spoiler a bit
[spoiler=spoiler]Team tournament
Weekend tour
autumn 2019
A lot of streams[/spoiler]

Let's hope something comes true!
Thanks a lot for everyone who bring up new ideas. They all welcome and we take all of them into account.
shit juice :hmm:
Germany Lukas_L99
Pro Player
Donator 01
ESO: Lukas_L99

Post by Lukas_L99 »

QueenOfdestiny wrote:Team tournament

Yesssss
United States of America YungPinch
Crossbow
ESO: Alextheking61

Post by YungPinch »

Since I saw a lot of ppl talking about it during streams I would like to see one fixed map just to try it out. (Idk but I think a fixed map should be easier to create than a "real" map)
Maybe it will be complete bs but maybe it will be cool who knows. It would be something new and exciting for sure.
Could use it in one of the smaller tourneys or in the first rounds of a bigger tourney (Can always cut it if it doesnt work at all)