Is Age of Empires 3 definitive Edition dead or doomed to fail?

Switzerland bobabu
Howdah

Is Age of Empires 3 definitive Edition dead or doomed to fail?

Post by bobabu »

After Age of Empires 1 definitive edition did so poorly, I wonder if they still plan to release Age of Empires 3 definitive edition.
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger
ESO: lemmings121

Re: Is Age of Empires 3 definitive Edition dead or doomed to fail?

Post by lemmings121 »

afaik, the game didnt "do poorly", imo they didnt even try to deliver a full game, just a cash grap for nostalgia. when you set to make a rts game with no recs, bugged AI, and no matchmaking, imo thats not even trying to make a rts game.
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

bobabu wrote:After Age of Empires 1 definitive edition did so poorly, I wonder if they still plan to release Age of Empires 3 definitive edition.

Afaik they keep confirming on weekly streams that the DEs are still in the works. Even further, that both AoE2:DE and AoE3:DE are being developed at the same time: https://forums.ageofempires.com/t/age-o ... ve/35285/7
momuuu wrote: theres no way eaglemut is truly a top player
Great Britain Interjection
Howdah
Donator 04
ESO: Interjection

Post by Interjection »

I think it's worth looking at who they were making the games for:

Age 1: Almost no one plays this competitively so there was significantly less need for competitive features such as matchmaking and recs. I agree they should probably have been included anyway but the point is the only people who were likely to pick the game up were those looking for an afternoon of nostalgia.

AOC: For sure the most competitive Age of Empires. I think we can expect all the bells and whistles here. This surely has to do everything Voobly already does and more, right? Otherwise who's gonna play this in the long term. I think it's safe to assume Forgotten Empires are deving this since they did AOE1DE. And AOE2 is obviously their particular interest as a company - it's where it all started for them. Given how big their events are (https://www.ageofempires.com/tournaments/) I think Microsoft would be daft to miss such a big e-sports opportunity.

AOE3: It's worth pointing out there's 4 people working at forgotten empires who did some pretty huge AOE3 projects (WoL, NE, Unhardcode project, more). So there is enthusiasm for the game on their team. If what @EAGLEMUT says is true though (AOE2 & AOE3 are being deved at the same time), it's unlikely they'll be deving AOE3 as they'll be busy with AOE2. Makes me wonder who they'll contract to work on AOE3 - should be fine as long as they liaise with the community. Personally, I think we'll end up with all the features AOE3 currently has but improved. What I'm really hoping for is for them to implement stuff that will actually improve the game, good maps, balance patch we can keep contributing to like we already do, native obs mode, new higher resolution models.

Let's cross our fingers.
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

From what I've heard FE isn't working on AoE3:DE, but on AoE2:DE, so another team/company/group is working on AoE3:DE, but it is being worked on.

I haven't always checked out the weekly stream on https://mixer.com/AgeofEmpires but that might be worth watching as well if you want AoE development updates.
United States of America SoldieR
Pro Player
ESO: SoldieR

Post by SoldieR »

I've recently been getting discouraged, seeing how aom:ee is, and the way the did everything for that. I got on it when it came out and it felt like a browser game. The multiplayer ui was extremely bland, basic, and ugly layout. It didn't even say how many online users, simple things. I hate to say it, but looking at all the recent "remakes", they are basically just lighting effects added to make things look shiny, and lag increased. I would be surprised if we get something better than what our community here can/could make.

The best thing they can do is implement the work and ideas that our community is willing to provide.
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger

Post by lemmings121 »

IAmSoldieR wrote:I would be surprised if we get something better than what our community here can/could make.

No way they will make a obs ui as good as Aiz's one, the bit of hope I had for aoe3de vanished after aoe1de.

I'm expecting that they just deliver the exact same game that we have today, bugs included, and just make a high res texture pack and suport for 4k (wow, such 4k! modern game! everyone plays in 4k today!)
Great Britain Interjection
Howdah
Donator 04
ESO: Interjection

Post by Interjection »

Don't worry @SoldieR Microsoft fired Skybox :lol: :lol:
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

Official patch and maps are EP, power over new patches given to ESOC, cheats fixed, a non bugged out online environment, all cards and age up politicians instantly unlocked from the start and then hopefully some extra players that try the game, and I think to us it should be a huge succes. We judge the other remakes as remakes of games that we don't love as much. Those are rarely worth their price. However, we would greatly appreciate a bunch of those small extras for aoe3, such as no cheaters anymore or better maps.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

I guess the answer was "doomed to fail" after all
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor
ESO: chris1089

Post by chris1089 »

lemmings121 wrote:
IAmSoldieR wrote:I would be surprised if we get something better than what our community here can/could make.
No way they will make a obs ui as good as Aiz's one, the bit of hope I had for aoe3de vanished after aoe1de.
This comment aged well.
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger

Post by lemmings121 »

chris1089 wrote:
lemmings121 wrote:
This comment aged well.

:sad:
European Union aaryngend
Howdah
Clan: N3O

Post by aaryngend »

chris1089 wrote:
lemmings121 wrote:
This comment aged well.
You guys have no patience. They said multiple times that they will improve the UI as time passes based on feedback.
United States of America SoldieR
Pro Player
ESO: SoldieR

Post by SoldieR »

Not sure if that is sarcastic, but I've been giving feedback for about 9 months and the only ui improvements were adding the damn popout arrow for garrison by default and the enlarged homecity deck button.
Germany lordraphael
Pro Player
EWTNWC LAN SilverAdvanced Division WinnerDonator 01

Post by lordraphael »

not to mention the horrible grid system for hotkeys. You cant implement a grid system like that. because aoe 3 has no building menu like sc2 and aoe 2. How come you didnt mention that in beta etc ? or is there a way to adjust hotkeys ?
breeze wrote: they cant even guess how much f***ing piece of stupid retarded they look they are trying to give lesson to people who are over pr35 and know the best mu. im pretty sure that we need a page that only pr30+ post and then we could have a nice discussins.
India Challenger_Marco
ESOC Media Team
ESO: challenger_marco

Post by Challenger_Marco »

lordraphael wrote:not to mention the horrible grid system for hotkeys. You cant implement a grid system like that. because aoe 3 has no building menu like sc2 and aoe 2. How come you didnt mention that in beta etc ? or is there a way to adjust hotkeys ?
Yeah there is in options where you can use legacy.
:nwc:
Germany lordraphael
Pro Player
EWTNWC LAN SilverAdvanced Division WinnerDonator 01

Post by lordraphael »

Challenger_Marco wrote:
lordraphael wrote:not to mention the horrible grid system for hotkeys. You cant implement a grid system like that. because aoe 3 has no building menu like sc2 and aoe 2. How come you didnt mention that in beta etc ? or is there a way to adjust hotkeys ?
Yeah there is in options where you can use legacy.
then i can use adjust every hotkey manually ? Besides aoe 3 legacy sucks aswell, they could have implemented building menus like in sc2 etc. It makes it so much more accesible
breeze wrote: they cant even guess how much f***ing piece of stupid retarded they look they are trying to give lesson to people who are over pr35 and know the best mu. im pretty sure that we need a page that only pr30+ post and then we could have a nice discussins.
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

I brought this up during the beta. I think it was taken into consideration at least. The problem I had was that certain unique buildings (or the lack thereof) pushed the icons away leading to one building having multiple hotkeys in the grid system. This could have been resolved by locking the buildings in a grid position, but I don't think this was done. I haven't tried the grid system since the betas.
Argentina Jotunir
Howdah

Post by Jotunir »

aaryngend wrote:
chris1089 wrote:
Show hidden quotes
This comment aged well.
You guys have no patience. They said multiple times that they will improve the UI as time passes based on feedback.
So we can all play it happily when we are retired :dry:
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

aaryngend wrote:
chris1089 wrote:
Show hidden quotes
This comment aged well.
The game was announced over 3 years ago and has been officially out for weeks
European Union aaryngend
Howdah
Clan: N3O

Post by aaryngend »

SoldieR wrote:Not sure if that is sarcastic, but I've been giving feedback for about 9 months and the only ui improvements were adding the damn popout arrow for garrison by default and the enlarged homecity deck button.
You forget that there is something called priority. It was clear that they don't give a fuck about the UI before/during launch and shortly after it. Things like this are usually implemented months after release.
If you pick the right settings, the UI is more than fine right now. There are just a boatload of other issues which need attention first.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

aaryngend wrote:
SoldieR wrote:Not sure if that is sarcastic, but I've been giving feedback for about 9 months and the only ui improvements were adding the damn popout arrow for garrison by default and the enlarged homecity deck button.
You forget that there is something called priority. It was clear that they don't give a fuck about the UI before/during launch and shortly after it. Things like this are usually implemented months after release.
If you pick the right settings, the UI is more than fine right now. There are just a boatload of other issues which need attention first.
The "boatload of other issues" in the officially released product are one reason I have no desire to be patient
Argentina Jotunir
Howdah

Post by Jotunir »

Jotunir wrote:The massive memory leak and subsequent loss of data has to do with incompetent software developers. Programming errors can lead to memory conflicts and, without virtual memory, an application can accidentally write data outside its own memory space, causing problems with other programs. I believe this is what happened with AOE3 DE...
By the way, this is not easily fixed at all.
I hate to quote myself, but I had to. Enjoy :chinese:
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

aaryngend wrote:
chris1089 wrote:
Show hidden quotes
This comment aged well.
Yeah sorry we are a bit impatient to play a game which doesn't burn down your computer and registers your clicks
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
No Flag Colonel0tto
Crossbow

Post by Colonel0tto »

The grid system works absolutely fine honestly and makes a lot of logical sense. I haven't looked back since I switched. And you can still use legacy hotkeys, so I don"understand this complaint.