Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Re: ESOC elo ladder

Post by edeholland »

Kaiserklein wrote:Obviously it's still not fine. ELO was never accurate and won't ever be, we can't really expect much better than that

The thing that matters most to me is if it's better than PR or other elo sources.

Another thing that matters to me is if we can base seeding for tournaments on elo, pr or another measurement of skill.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

PR is the biggest joke ever so yeah EP ELO is better. Even jap ELO is better than PR anyway.
EP ELO is also better than jap ELO because it's played on a patch without cheaters/broken balance/broken maps. But that's just because EP is better than RE; the ELO system itself isn't any better, it's as mediocre as the jap ELO one. But again, we can't really hope for better than that, since there isn't a good way to measure skill.

If you'd seed a tourney right now based on ELO, it would be a huge joke. Then again I guess people would try to get a good ELO to have a good seeding if a tourney was announced, so the rating would be different. We'll have to see next tourney I guess. But for the record, the seeding of previous tourney using EP ELO was bad, probably because it was so new then.
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

EP Elo and an up to date elo in general is a good picture of the current state of players, so it is accurate.
It doesn't have to coincide with tourney results or anything, altho if tourney games were rated the two would certainly tend to overlap.
Image Image Image
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor
ESO: BrookG

Post by BrookG »

I don't understand what are you questioning, is it the formula or the fact that few games have been played?
Correlation doesn't mean causation.
http://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

"mr.brookg go buy jeans and goto the club with somppuli" - Princeofkabul, July 2018
United States of America SoldieR
Pro Player
ESO: SoldieR

Post by SoldieR »

The problem is no quick search. People usually only play against the same players. It's hard to gain and keep gaining any points when you dont have anyone to beat up on, points just keep trading back and forth between the same 20 players.
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

Would be 21 players if Eaglemut wasn't so crooked.
Pay more attention to detail.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

Garja wrote:
n0el wrote:
Show hidden quotes

I think that was a temporary issue for a few hours when they moved the data.

Nah. Simply people were arguing it wasnt accurate. Now Diarouga is in it and magically the ladder is fine. Wow I didn't think I would have to explain the joke.

It's not fine, it's just better than the jap elo now, while it used to be worse.

Any elo is better than PR btw.
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

I kind of feel like in order for it to be accurate there needs to be an overall rating for both RE and EP, instead of separating the two.
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor
ESO: BrookG

Post by BrookG »

@Jaeger here's an idea for your thesis: design a mathematical way to combine the 2 and compare the effectiveness of the possibilites
Correlation doesn't mean causation.
http://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

"mr.brookg go buy jeans and goto the club with somppuli" - Princeofkabul, July 2018
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

BrookG wrote:@Jaeger here's an idea for your thesis: design a mathematical way to combine the 2 and compare the effectiveness of the possibilites

Haha thanks that would be interesting, but I'm trying to use the thesis as an opportunity to learn more Complex Analysis
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

An ELO ladder gets better when
1) there is more interaction between the different layers of the community. Pr20's need to indirectly be donating their points to the pr40's for the ranking to become accurate. When the interaction between those two layers is only done by a handful of people that play with both the stabilizing goes extremely slowly
2) there needs to be a reasonably big volume of games for the ELO to be accurate. I don't know what the state of the EP elo is like right now, but if the amount of games played is low it's going to be inaccurate

Also, although pr isn't the greatest due to some exploits, one thing that I do think works well is the general volatility of pr. Going from one rank to another takes a bunch of games once you've played enough games (for newer accounts its not great though) to the point where I think under normal circumstances the pacing is quite good. For ELO games, it feels like getting a decent streak can possibly have a huge effect on your ELO. The problem with that is that aoe3 is a volatile game, where you can easily play a bunch of above average games where you also get lucky with the match up/crate start/map spawn and that could really allow you to jump in the ELO rating by a bit too much imo.
United States of America SoldieR
Pro Player
ESO: SoldieR

Post by SoldieR »

Mitoe wrote:I kind of feel like in order for it to be accurate there needs to be an overall rating for both RE and EP, instead of separating the two.

isnt that just jp elo rating?
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

momuuu wrote:An ELO ladder gets better when
1) there is more interaction between the different layers of the community. Pr20's need to indirectly be donating their points to the pr40's for the ranking to become accurate. When the interaction between those two layers is only done by a handful of people that play with both the stabilizing goes extremely slowly
2) there needs to be a reasonably big volume of games for the ELO to be accurate. I don't know what the state of the EP elo is like right now, but if the amount of games played is low it's going to be inaccurate

Also, although pr isn't the greatest due to some exploits, one thing that I do think works well is the general volatility of pr. Going from one rank to another takes a bunch of games once you've played enough games (for newer accounts its not great though) to the point where I think under normal circumstances the pacing is quite good. For ELO games, it feels like getting a decent streak can possibly have a huge effect on your ELO. The problem with that is that aoe3 is a volatile game, where you can easily play a bunch of above average games where you also get lucky with the match up/crate start/map spawn and that could really allow you to jump in the ELO rating by a bit too much imo.

The other issue is that people can dodge.
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

IAmSoldieR wrote:
Mitoe wrote:I kind of feel like in order for it to be accurate there needs to be an overall rating for both RE and EP, instead of separating the two.

isnt that just jp elo rating?

Yeah, except that jp elo has been around so long now that there's a ton of inflation.
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

Why does inflation matter?
India Ashvin
Retired Contributor
ESO: Octanium

Post by Ashvin »

Gendarme wrote:Why does inflation matter?

Because the rate doesn't decay even if you stay afk for 6 months.
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

Answer is unclear. Downvoted.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

Because the playerbase was seemingly slightly larger and thus the top end had higher ranks. This has dropped since the cheaters I feel like, so right now the highest ranked elo players are just the inactive players because actively playing will cause your rank to drop.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

The EP elo is inflating too. Top 10 bottom line is now 1820, while before autumn tourney it was 1800.
Image Image Image
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

I'm pretty sure thats good. The jp ELO has actually been deflating. I believe Mitoe just used the incorrect term.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

Garja wrote:The EP elo is infalting too. Top 10 bottom line is now 1820, while before autumn tourney it was 1800.

Yea it is.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

momuuu wrote:I'm pretty sure thats good. The jp ELO has actually been deflating. I believe Mitoe just used the incorrect term.

Yes it is good. Just saying that despite the low number of players on EP it is still enough to slowly stretch out the Elo separating the top players from the base rating.
Image Image Image
France bwinner
Howdah
Donator 01
ESO: bwinner

Post by bwinner »

One problem is that since the average new player on ep is between major and capitain, it is the same winning vs a major and winning vs a ms that has never played on ep (which is probably why eaglemut was preseeded master tourney for instance). It means that you can get a colonel elo since bashing major (what a colonel does) is the same like bashing ms (what a lt does).
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

bwinner1 wrote:One problem is that since the average new player on ep is between major and capitain, it is the same winning vs a major and winning vs a ms that has never played on ep (which is probably why eaglemut was preseeded master tourney for instance). It means that you can get a colonel elo since bashing major (what a colonel does) is the same like bashing ms (what a lt does).

Yea that was the big issue, you could get a high elo without being a top player, while it's impossible on the jap ladder (you can't get really more than +250 elos if you bash noobs).
We don't have access to the full EP ladder atm, but it seems that the current top10 is the real top10 although some are overrated/underrated because they don't play atm.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

bwinner1 wrote:One problem is that since the average new player on ep is between major and capitain, it is the same winning vs a major and winning vs a ms that has never played on ep (which is probably why eaglemut was preseeded master tourney for instance). It means that you can get a colonel elo since bashing major (what a colonel does) is the same like bashing ms (what a lt does).

Yeah, its a huge downside of small playerbase ELOs. The influx of new players will distort the elo quite a bit too.

Honestly some of these aspects make me appreciate pr.