The problem with walls

Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

The problem with walls

Post by gibson »

In team on seems more and more players are just spamming 10 layers of wall to make up for the fact that theyre bad. An ez way to fix this is to just make bastion walls x50000% instead of x500%. This way there will be no reason for them to make more than 1 layer :flowers:
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Re: The problem with walls

Post by edeholland »

What do you except on Siberia though
United States of America GiBthedurrty
Lancer
Donator 01
Clan: YumiW

Post by GiBthedurrty »

Hmmmmmm me no wall in team
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

bastion costs 400w 600c
France P i k i l i c
Howdah
ESO: Pikilic
GameRanger ID: 7497456

Post by P i k i l i c »

These people must have high apm or sth
One of the reasons I dislike 3v3s is you almost surely have to wall at some point. Im just too lazy too wall even 1 layer its so boring and time consuming. And I feel like Im the only one to feel this on the planet.
In FFA people build 3+ layers lol. After 30 mn of playing and defeating 2 guys I happily quit the game. Remaining players for some unknown reason prefer to treaty during 2 hours (keep max units out right click in middle of lag repair wall) *352 times. So enjoyable isnt it?
Consider not the one who speaks the truth, but the truth that is said

:hmm: AoE logic :hmm:
Austria supahons
Dragoon
ESO: supahons

Post by supahons »

Some players just enjoy turtleing, and playing 2 hour games, this isn't a problem if it's NR or FFA. Avoid Deccan in teamgames.

But then there is the "if i can't win at least i waste some time player-type". When you're bad then you can still win by making the other player ragequit.
They wall the map and play hide and seek (The 1000 vs 100 score, +20 min games ...)

AoE isn't the only game i've noticed this. I've seen this in all games with a timer too (eg chess, they don't resign when they're checkmated in one turn and go afk)
Then you have to make a decision to spend some time for the win or just resign :/
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

with the way raiding works (for example not being able to rebuild factories), I don't really see anything wrong with walling --- a cost increase would do, though bear in mind that bare walls are paper-thin on EP
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

Yea, one layer of EP walls, if you don't have bastion, is useless.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

pecelot wrote:with the way raiding works (for example not being able to rebuild factories), I don't really see anything wrong with walling --- a cost increase would do, though bear in mind that bare walls are paper-thin on EP

No, a cost increase is bad. Make it a buildtime increase.also bastion should be age3 only
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01

Post by edeholland »

Build time increase seems very logical. Walls build extremely quickly, you can quickly build a wall when your opponent is marching towards you, rendering all previous city planning useless. You could also experiment with having to build gates instead of just clicking to turn a wall into a gate, but that may be too annoying.
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

nepuvir sb gVGeG
Pay more attention to detail.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

Yeah bastion colonial is counter intuitive, since there basically aren't siege units in that age.

[Armag] diarouga wrote:Yea, one layer of EP walls, if you don't have bastion, is useless.

With ranged units behind, one layer is enough to get free kills. Definitely will pay off for the 50w cost of walling your base or whatever
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01

Post by edeholland »

lordraphael wrote:
Jerom wrote:Walls are really strong yeah. Funny how walling was considered to be noob a while back.

it is still for noobs mostly walls just take the pace out of the game and cap the skill of players because they just limit your options way to much for their cheap price
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player

Post by Kaiserklein »

Btw walls repair basically instantly, another bs we could fix.
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

nepuvir sb gVGeG
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

I mean 1 vill builds a wall way faster than 50 units sieging it
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03

Post by Gendarme »

nepuvir sb gVGeG
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Completely agree. Walls are something that should be designed/built before battles, not during them.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

Kaiserklein wrote:Yeah bastion colonial is counter intuitive, since there basically aren't siege units in that age.

[Armag] diarouga wrote:Yea, one layer of EP walls, if you don't have bastion, is useless.

With ranged units behind, one layer is enough to get free kills. Definitely will pay off for the 50w cost of walling your base or whatever

I mean in late game in team games. In 1v1 walls are of course worth because they're not expensive (basically 50w), and allow you to boom more, but in team walling the map costs like 300-400w and walls don't stop 20 cuirs or 30 ashis.

By the way, I agree with Somppu that you shouldn't be able to rewall while your opponent is sieging your 1st layer.
Great Britain boyu
Musketeer
ESO: boyu

Post by boyu »

[Armag] diarouga wrote:
Kaiserklein wrote:Yeah bastion colonial is counter intuitive, since there basically aren't siege units in that age.

I mean in late game in team games. In 1v1 walls are of course worth because they're not expensive (basically 50w), and allow you to boom more, but in team walling the map costs like 300-400w and walls don't stop 20 cuirs or 30 ashis.

It's not so much the raiding element of team games where walls become OP so much as the fact that they create stalemate scenarios. You get to a point where you have to make mortars, which can't break 3 or 4 layers without your army taking losses due to being outmassed as a result of making the mortars in the first place.

That's basically what you could see in the game with Gibson yesterday... he could never fully break through, and the moment they right click his base it's gg because he hasn't got 3 layers of walls to defend his eco.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

you don't, cause then the builder dies to siegers' fire
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player

Post by Kaiserklein »

Yes the build time is insanely stupid
No Flag querty
Skirmisher

Post by querty »

Just for sup of course...
2oow0u.jpg
Austria knusch
Pro Player
EWTDonator 01

Post by knusch »

would it be possible to have walls build without pillars at ideal length (smallest of the larger segments...) and dbl the cost and buildtime as a starting point?

right now by deleting pillars u save both costs and buildtime compared to the original design
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01

Post by edeholland »

knusch wrote:would it be possible to have walls build without pillars at ideal length (smallest of the larger segments...) and dbl the cost and buildtime as a starting point?

right now by deleting pillars u save both costs and buildtime compared to the original design

Is the smallest length the ideal length though? If your wall segments touch the damage done to one is instantly transferred to the segments next to it, making it easy to bring down a long wall. I would rather have walls that just barely don't touch.