the key thought

Italy Mosx
Dragoon
ESO: Mosx

the key thought

Post by Mosx »

id like introduce myself,I come from macgameranger, many of you started with me (gabe theonlybause,ogluke itluke alaron…ect), what i d like to ask u is what is the key that leads from being a mediocre pr 20-24 player to become a level of game best pr 32 and more, better what is the common think of the high level players from the mediocre ones?im sorry for my bad english!
op mechanics, op build order :export: :coin: :ugly: :uglylol: :maniac:

https://www.twitch.tv/mosxgr
China _JDK_solarwind
Crossbow
ESO: solar_wind

Re: the key thought

Post by _JDK_solarwind »

Well basically lots of match ups to practice general skills, map readings to help you know your environments better, study differences between different civs to know your opponents better. But in general, I think situational awareness will be the most important thing, this is what other things are doing for. You practice your skills, do your map reading off the match ups, study all differences between civs, but finally all these things are to help you establish correct situational awareness during a match. The situational awareness is about all those around you during a match. What is the opponent currently doing? What is it gonna be(turns out to be a strong military storm or fast economic booming, or some more tricky situations which are hard to tell)? What should you do to react? What are all those now? What will they be after several minutes? When should you pressure the opponent? What did you see when you were doing the scouting? Did they tell the truth? Is the opponent concealing something from you? What's the reality?
And, all these things will be where your decision makings are based on. In general, fighting in AOE3 is all about information gathering, analysis, making the decisions, execution, and then LOOP AGAIN: re-gather latest information, and then re-analyze the situation, and then redo your decision making by adjusting your plans or even turning to your alternatives.
I guess this is what RTS about, the strategy(ies) and reactions.
So, basic skills make you able to carry out anything you want to do, situational awareness help you do the RIGHT things accordingly to predominate the match.
Have fun!
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

Mosx wrote:id like introduce myself,I come from macgameranger, many of you started with me (gabe theonlybause,ogluke itluke alaron…ect), what i d like to ask u is what is the key that leads from being a mediocre pr 20-24 player to become a level of game best pr 32 and more, better what is the common think of the high level players from the mediocre ones?im sorry for my bad english!

I've said that plenty of times, but imo there are 2 key differences between at pr35 and a pr20-24:

1) The macro. I really can't emphasize how important it is. When I play or watch people like bwinner or major_dark play (who are not pr 20-24 at all by the way, they're pr30ish, I just don't really play against pr20-24 guys anymore), I see that they have a lot of iddle vills in middle game, and don't manage their vill repartition very well when something isn't part of the plan.

Of course, if even pr30 guys make these mistakes, it's a lot bigger at pr20-24 level: they have 1k resources in bank at 10min. Stacking resources is a very common mistake actually, even at top level. For example iamturk had like 3k resources in bank in his game with jap vs kaiser's brit recently while he wasn't maxed at all. He still won the game somehow but 15-20 extra naginata would have helped.

Also pr30- guys are late on their build order. Spain ff and Fre 4v/700c semi ff should reach age 3 between 7:30 and 7:40, however sometimes I see some guys who reach the 3rd age after 8min doing these build orders, and trust me, at high level if you're 20sec late it's game.

2) The strategy/decision making. When you play, you should have a plan. Ideally, you should try to visualise how you want the game to go before you green up. Of course, it's not very often going to go your way, but if you do that, it means that at least you have a plan. Sometimes when you play vs captain guys, they do some random shit and get rekt, and when you ask them why they did that, they answer "I don't know, it's the build order". You can't become a top player if you just make vills and units and don't understand why you want a specific unit composition, or hit a timing against a civ.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

I think #2 is most important. Going into the game with a plan is probably the most important thing you can do and easiest way to improve. Now obviously it has to be a good plan if you want to win, but even a not so good plan is probably better than doing random shit.
China _JDK_solarwind
Crossbow
ESO: solar_wind

Post by _JDK_solarwind »

gibson wrote:I think #2 is most important. Going into the game with a plan is probably the most important thing you can do and easiest way to improve. Now obviously it has to be a good plan if you want to win, but even a not so good plan is probably better than doing random shit.

Agree, and sometimes the plan needs to be changed, due to unexpected situational changes. So always give ourselves a plan B.
Italy Mosx
Dragoon

Post by Mosx »

Thank u for ur answer :D

Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

Better stay mediocre player cos then you have ppl to choose from when playing. There is just a few really good player, and they keep on whining about hos fewer ppl they can play with. :huh:
Point being, careful of what you wish for, cos suddenly you get it, and find that the fun is being drained out of the game :cry:
Hippocrits are the worst of animals. I love elifants.
Italy Mosx
Dragoon

Post by Mosx »

I'd understand this many ppl In game think play at same pr is better someone give free win for this but why sincerely I don't understand maybe play low level is more fun

Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

there are plenty of captains to play with

and captains are not mediocre :mad:
France P i k i l i c
Howdah
ESO: Pikilic
GameRanger ID: 7497456

Post by P i k i l i c »

But whats wrong with being mediocre? I'm trash and happy
Below is a collection of happy faces for you
:smile: :P :biggrin: ^_^ :flowers: :chinese: :santa: :grin: ;) :lol: :kinggreen: :mrgreen: :uglylol:
Consider not the one who speaks the truth, but the truth that is said

:hmm: AoE logic :hmm:
Great Britain WickedCossack
Retired Contributor

Post by WickedCossack »

I say it everytime and cause a fight but the main difference is mechanics. :P

You're not going to go from 1st leuit to a top player switching from xbow pike to 5 huss semi.
France bwinner
Howdah
Donator 01
ESO: bwinner

Post by bwinner »

WickedCossack wrote:I say it everytime and cause a fight but the main difference is mechanics. :P

You're not going to go from 1st leuit to a top player switching from xbow pike to 5 huss semi.

as diarouga said, macro matters a lot. Though I don't think anyone can improve it to the top lvl (for instance I don't think I can), just because we don't all have the same capacities.
Though I don't think there is one aspect that is always the key, every player is different, some are bad at macroing, some can't control their units, some have no game plan etc
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

bwinner1 wrote:
WickedCossack wrote:I say it everytime and cause a fight but the main difference is mechanics. :P

as diarouga said, macro matters a lot. Though I don't think anyone can improve it to the top lvl (for instance I don't think I can), just because we don't all have the same capacities.
Though I don't think there is one aspect that is always the key, every player is different, some are bad at macroing, some can't control their units, some have no game plan etc
you could be a top player if your played more and with top players more. This is true of basically everyone.
France flontier
Lancer
Intermediate Division Winner
ESO: Flontier
Clan: PLOP

Post by flontier »

bwinner1 wrote:

Macro is part of the mechanics, People only think about micro when they heard mechanic but thats not only this stuff. Its just one aspect.
Its also all your multitask which is influenced by your mechanic, and so the accuracy of your macro as well. How many of us have 20idle vills when we are focus on a fight lol. Looks like there is a fkg villagers party everytime i check my base.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

gibson wrote:
bwinner1 wrote:

you could be a top player if your played more and with top players more. This is true of basically everyone.

this is not true
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

When I hear mechanics, I think of APM ie micro and multi-tasking.
Macro isn't very apm intensive, it's all about game knowledge.
India gh0st
Lancer
ESO: gh0st007

Post by gh0st »

gibson wrote:
bwinner1 wrote:

not really
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger
ESO: lemmings121

Post by lemmings121 »

[Armag] diarouga wrote:When I hear mechanics, I think of APM ie micro and multi-tasking.
Macro isn't very apm intensive, it's all about game knowledge.

maybe when you campare a pr35 and a 40, the macro diference might be small and unnoticeable, im not sure since i'm far from that level.

But between a lt, my pr30, and players 35+, the macro diference is game deciding.
I can just make the same bo in a equal situation and get there with 15 units more then a lt, and 15 units less then a brig.

Agree, just put soldier with his 2007 builds vs any major doing the "meta optimal counter" and see what happens.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

soldier would lose more than he should if mechanics were the deciding factor, which they really aren't.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

@lemmings121 I said that macro was one of the most important things.
I was just saying that macro and mechanics (APM) are two different things.
United States of America SoldieR
Pro Player
ESO: SoldieR

Post by SoldieR »

So my mechanics are bad?
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

no, you are mentioned as the opposite. your reading skillz are bad though :uglylol:
United States of America SoldieR
Pro Player
ESO: SoldieR

Post by SoldieR »

umeu wrote:soldier would lose more than he should if mechanics were the deciding factor, which they really aren't.

Hmm.. "I would lose more than I should if they were deciding "
More than I should or more than I do.

I think in general, people think I win more than I should, based on my playstyle. Playstyle wins, when strat should lose.