Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Casting from recorded games

Post by edeholland »

We had a few conversation about it in various threads, let's continue in one thread to keep our sanity.

Here, Interjection & others discuss streaming live vs releasing a prerecorded video.

Here another discussion starts, Tabben/Diarouga/Garja saying we should cast from recs and Jerom/Eagle giving counterarguments.

Summary from what I have seen:

Pros
  • Less lag issues because less players in the game (only 2 players instead of the usual 4)
  • Invitespammer and ESO down are less of an issue
  • If not livestreamed, downtime can be cut out, making the stream focus on the gameplay
  • If live casted from replays, players can give commentary in the chat on the games & commentary
  • If not casted live, players & casters can give commentary in the chat on the games & commentary
  • More freedom in when games are played and casted (only have to schedule with 2 people instead of 4)
  • Can pause during casting

Cons
  • No real-time admin intervention
  • Recorded games play at inconsistent speeds (always too slow from what I have seen)
  • Only way to cast with 2 people is by screen-sharing (because of point 2)
  • Screen-sharing is shitty quality
  • Screen-sharing means that caster 2 doesn't have his own camera
  • Recs can be overwritten or forgotten, meaning the games have to be played again
  • Not actually live (not as hype)
  • Result may be spoiled
Pro or con depending on your opinion
  • No casters available to restart the map if the map is unfair
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Re: Casting from recorded games

Post by edeholland »

So far, I noticed a few things
-Who are the ones advocating for casting from recs? The players.
-Who are in favor of casting like we do now (live in-game)? The casters.
-Where does that leave us? Nowhere.
-Hotel? Trivago.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

Live cast is really annoying. Half of the time we have to rehost the game because the caster forgets to install his UI, which is super annoying, and the other half of the time it lags like hell, and it's almost unplayable.
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger
ESO: lemmings121

Post by lemmings121 »

Some other thing to consider: without livecasting on important games, there is noone to see if there is a missing hunt/mine. and asking your oponent for a rehost after you finally scout it at 4 mins that you indeed dont have a third hunt might be a problem.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

No real-time admin intervention

caster =/= admin (usually), games streamed live still require an admin available online, just as games streamed from recs

@lemmings121 , but the same issue is present is every other non-casted game --- of course it'd be nice to avoid that, but it's not that unfair compared to the rest
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Not actually live (not as hype)

This is all that matters for me. It's just not the same when it's not live.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

somppukunkku wrote:Not actually live (not as hype)

This is all that matters for me. It's just not the same when it's not live.

This wouldn't really matter as much if it was almost impossible to tell, but it is extremely clear and directly bothersome that the games are not live. The chance of seeing the results already are very large. Replays run at a godawful speed normally, and run at different speeds so cocasting is terrible.

I must say that if these aspects are somehow removed, then it actually becomes enjoyable again. I often watch sc2 streams or even ESOC streams from past broadcast while they are happening because I missed the beginning and in that case you really don't notice anything, although you still might pick up when the stream is supposed to end and thus be spoiled by that.

If there are ever replay casts, I really hope ESOC won't try to make cocasts happen. At some point it's just better to have one person solocast it, because all the syncing problems and stuff are just terrible for the experience.
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

You also miss the ingame excuses and complaining
Austria knusch
Pro Player
EWTDonator 01

Post by knusch »

i think the lag issue should be rly considered here.

all nerfs/buffs and number tweaking and effort into better balance goes straight out the window if u cant even move your units properly...
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

In my opinion in tournaments, donators should be respected. And that is same as showing the games live. If someone lags so much that game is unplayable then kick player/the caster out.
Anybody is free to play 1v1s outside of tournaments with no lag at all.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

Exactly. It's also a bit ludicrous to approach all these games as ultra competitive. The prize pool is pocket money, the devotion of the players seems worse than that of an average sunday league football team when it comes to truly practising hard and aoe3 in general is a very weird and buggy game to be taken extremely seriously. Of course ideally there would be no lag, but the way I see it is that these tournaments are just events for the community to enjoy. It will still be pretty enjoyable if it's a bit laggy. Of course you should kick the players/casters that are too laggy, but there shouldn't be too many of those.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

you're as naive as if you just joined ESOC about players being serious :idea:
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

The recorded game speed is such an issue, it is nearly impossible to do this with a good quality.
mad cuz bad
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

True.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

somppukunkku wrote:In my opinion in tournaments, donators should be respected. And that is same as showing the games live. If someone lags so much that game is unplayable then kick player/the caster out.
Anybody is free to play 1v1s outside of tournaments with no lag at all.

Honestly I would prefer playing tourneys without any money but without lag than a lag fest with giant prize pool.
Image Image Image
United States of America Amsel_
Howdah
ESO: The_Amsel

Post by Amsel_ »

As a viewer, the cons outweigh the pros. But if Diarouga is right then perhaps it makes more sense to do recorded games. Although, it might be feasible to just do both. I remember that one tournament where Kaiser withdrew because of bad lag. In situations like that, it makes a lot of sense to do replays. But I think this is more about Satunterday Smackdown than tournaments. Since smackdown is more of a pure entertainment thing, I would support doing it live. Those cons seem way too steep. Tournaments are more about competition, and it would be unfortunate to see skill at the game be replaced with skill at coping with lag. Plus, if the smackdown prize holds up, you'll get players no matter what. A 50/50 shot at earning some money is probably worth playing with a bit of lag.
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

If the wonderful @Development Team could figure out how to fix the replay play speed in the UHC project it would be awesome
mad cuz bad
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

@edeholland Pro: If interjection forgets his UI, you don't have to restart the game at 3min!
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

wow, a rational man, major generalisation

trample mode is meant to kill 1-HP Minutemen and nothing else!!!!
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

Can't get irony :lol:

Anyway, it's actually an issue. I think I had to restart casted games at least 5 times because the casters forgot their UIs, and it's very frustrating, especially when you get a good start.
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

Since when does Dodgerouga actually play casted games? I seem to remember you accepted the last matchup of the month, and the first smackdown, and then turned down both at the last moment.
United States of America GiBthedurrty
Lancer
Donator 01
Clan: YumiW

Post by GiBthedurrty »

lol
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

Mitoe wrote:Since when does Dodgerouga actually play casted games? I seem to remember you accepted the last matchup of the month, and the first smackdown, and then turned down both at the last moment.

It was because I had no time, not because I dodged.
United States of America musketeer925
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: musketeer925

Post by musketeer925 »

Fixing rec playback is not going to happen I'd say
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

Well, at any rate, for me personally I’d say lag has rarely impacted the outcome of a series or even a game for me when casters are involved. The majority of the time it is totally playable.

Also, I already watch few enough games live, but I’m definitely not going to watch them if they’re casted off of recs. There’s no excitement, and recs are honestly terrible anyway. The players are going to forget to record games, and the recs aren’t going to play at full speed either, leaving you with a crappy 0.8 or 0.9 speed rec that has to be solo casted or something. Doesn’t sound like a great experience to me.

Plus players will just start complaining about the map more often when they lose, or maybe someone during a semi-final match or something similar will “forget” to record a game and use cheats or something. The casters help ensure fair play as much as the lag sometimes inhibits it. In extreme cases I think casters should cast from recs, but ideally they will cast live.