New year's classic betting sign ups, info & rules

Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

New year's classic betting sign ups, info & rules

Post by Goodspeed »

Mammals of ESOC,

It's time for another betting event. With the mono-civ cup starting this weekend, there is another opportunity for you to show everyone how well you know the players, civ balance, and/or how well you can bet the odds. Last time it was @deleted_user2 who barely scraped by at 54k points where second place (@FreshDumbl3dore) had 53k.

That's right, @zoom didn't win. Miracles do happen, God exists and all that. The man is mortal after all, which makes his many betting victories all the more impressive. If he's a mere mortal like the rest of us (assuming the rest of us are mortals) then why does he keep winning? What knowledge does he have that eludes everyone else?
To be fair to Somppu, it's not his first victory either. A second legend was born when snowww 5-4'd kynesie and Somppu joined zoom in the betting hall of fame as a multiple-event winner. Let's see if he can pull off the third.

For those who participated before, it'll be the same as always, including the added rule from last time: You are only allowed to donate if you have above the average amount of points. This rule prevents people from signing up, not participating and donating all of their points to someone else.
Everyone who is new to it, make sure you read the rest of this post. Don't hesitate to ask any questions in this thread or via PM, and I welcome any feedback. If you think I should do something differently please do mention it, even small things. Also, if something seems out of the ordinary or doesn't seem to be working like it should, shoot me a PM.

Betting begins with the round of 32 of this event. That's next week!
Happy gambling and may fortune be with you.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Prize
There is a $50 prize up for grabs this time around. Winner takes all! The winner is the player with the most betting points after the finals of the tournament.
Participation is free.

How to sign up
Simply leave a reply in this thread, or send me a message. You will receive a PM with further info. If you're reading this after the tournament started, you can still sign up.

How the system works
After you sign up, you'll receive a message from me with a link to your own personal betting sheet (example) where you can enter your bets and a link to the stats sheet which contains the standings as well as everyone else's bets. The system is hosted in the cloud (Google docs) and updates automatically as you place your bets. Where to enter your bets: http://i.imgur.com/84cIjd2.png but on your own personal sheet of course.

Betting updates will be posted in a discussion thread which I will post later, with all betters tagged in it. So make sure you keep an eye on your notifications during the event! Alternatively you can keep an eye on your betting sheet, which will always show all of the open betting matches and when they are scheduled to be played.

You start with 1500 points.
Which matches to bet on will be decided by me. There will be at least 5 matches to bet on in every round up to the round of 16, and after that you will be able to bet on every match. I will send a message to all participants if there is a new match to bet on. This information can be found in your player sheet too, of course.
Note that if a match is played early in the round and there is still some time, I may select another match in that same round to bet on so keep an eye out for that.

The system rewards participation, as there is a bit of inflation each match which only benefits people who participate (and win). Typically the point total at the end of the event will be around 150% of the point total at the start of the event.

How the odds work
If the odds against player A winning are 5.00 (also read as 5 to 1) that means you get 5 times the amount of points you bet in payout if player A wins. So if you had bet 1000 on player A winning, you would get 5000 points in payout which is a 4000 point profit.
The odds update real time based on your and other players' bets. The odds are frozen right before the match starts and payouts will be based on those final odds, not based on the odds at the time you placed your bet.

If many people bet on a result, you will get less points in payout if it happens. This means you are not betting against a bookmaker, you are betting against the other betters and if a lot of them think player A will win but you think player B is underrated, it could be a worthwhile strategy to bet a bunch of points on player B.
In short, if you bet on a result which the community thinks is unlikely and it happens, you are rich! If you bet on a likely result and it happens, you also win but you are less rich. The more risk you take the higher your potential reward, but of course many well-placed safe bets can also add up to big profit. Develop your own betting strategy accordingly.

Rules
1. There is a maximum of 1000 points per specific result (like Player A winning 3-0) and 10000 on the results "Player X winning". The system will complain if you try to put more points on results than allowed.
2. At the bottom of your player sheet is your balance (points available to bet with). If this number reaches less than zero as a result of you placing bets, none of your bets will be counted so make sure it stays above or equal to zero.
3. You can't bet on your own matches except on you winning and/or you winning x-0.
4. You are allowed to donate points to other players, but only if they have zero points left AND if you have more points than the average amount per player (1500 to start). "Malicious donations" (under 50 points) are not allowed.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Re: New year's classic betting sign ups, info & rules

Post by deleted_user0 »

I'm gonna grab the third. In!

Also Hazza told me that he has been waiting for this event. Unfortunately, his mother took away his electronic devices so he can't sign up here. But I just received a physical letter that he is in.
United States of America Cometk
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

In
Sweden tabben
Lancer
EWTNWC LAN Bronze
ESO: tabben

Post by tabben »

India gh0st
Lancer
ESO: gh0st007

Post by gh0st »

In
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

The one spam post I make every year: in.
United States of America dicktator_
Howdah
EWT
ESO: Conquerer999

Post by dicktator_ »

in
steniothejonjoe wrote:I can micro better than 99% of the player base and that's 100% objective
:mds:
Spain Snuden
Jaeger
ESO: Snuden

Post by Snuden »

In.
[Sith] - Baphomet
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

Alright I'm in.
momuuu wrote: theres no way eaglemut is truly a top player
United States of America SoldieR
Pro Player
ESO: SoldieR

Post by SoldieR »

In
United States of America GiBthedurrty
Lancer
Donator 01
Clan: YumiW

Post by GiBthedurrty »

Hi
No Flag thebritish
Jaeger

Post by thebritish »

I want to participate.
krichk wrote: For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge thebritish
India Ashvin
Retired Contributor
ESO: Octanium

Post by Ashvin »

Let's do this
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

In, Im sure @Hazza54321 also would like to participate
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

In ;)
Hippocrits are the worst of animals. I love elifants.
Austria knusch
Pro Player
EWTDonator 01

Post by knusch »

IN :biggrin:
Germany yemshi
Jaeger
ESO: yemshi

Post by yemshi »

In
United States of America XeeleeFlower
Retired Contributor
Xeelee Patron

Post by XeeleeFlower »

edeholland wrote:The one spam post I make every year: in.
Spammin'
Time is wise and our wounds seem to heal to the rhythm of aging,
But our past is a ghost fading out that at night it’s still haunting.

http://www.galactanet.com/oneoff/theegg_mod.html
India rsy
Jaeger
Donator 01

Post by rsy »

Imma win this time
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

on
mad cuz bad
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

@Hazza54321 u in?
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

I'm in
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
France bwinner
Howdah
Donator 01
ESO: bwinner

Post by bwinner »

in
Armenia Sargsyan
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: lamergamer
Clan: c0ns

Post by Sargsyan »

In
krichk wrote:For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge Challenger_Marco
Netherlands blackwidow
Dragoon
ESO: MASTERdutch

Post by blackwidow »

ᵃˢᵈᶠ