Anyone knows any good AoE3 You Tubers?

No Flag DracoWolfgand
Skirmisher

Anyone knows any good AoE3 You Tubers?

Post by DracoWolfgand »

Most AoE3 videos I find seem to be mostly replay of matches, which... No offense, but personally, although I find it fun to play the game, I tend to find it quite boring to watch someone else plaiyng it. Dont ask me why. Anyway, I am looking for someone who likes doing things like, making civilization analysis, giving strategy tips, discussing the campaigns... If anyone here is familiar with Spirit of the Law work, something on that spirit, minus applied to AoE 3, and not wanking the Japanese so much( A civ which I actually like on both games, by the way, but Spirit is known for being a bit of a Japanese fanboy.
United States of America GiBthedurrty
Lancer
Donator 01
Clan: YumiW

Re: Anyone knows any good AoE3 You Tubers?

Post by GiBthedurrty »

iamgib
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor
ESO: dansil92

Post by dansil92 »

SamaraiRevolution is a good youtuber. Funny, and plays at a pr19-24 level so more appealing to newer player than, say, lordraphael that makes you feel really really slow and terrible at macro
France P i k i l i c
Howdah
ESO: Pikilic
GameRanger ID: 7497456

Post by P i k i l i c »

Tips tricks and advice from Interjection:
https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLS ... GdA5xPLHme
Consider not the one who speaks the truth, but the truth that is said

:hmm: AoE logic :hmm:
India gh0st
Lancer
ESO: gh0st007

Post by gh0st »

United States of America Papist
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Papist

Post by Papist »

There isn't really an equivalent to SOTL in the AoE3 community, mainly because AoE3 is not nearly as complex and nuanced as AoE2 (therefore, not as much material for videos). If you're looking for strategy tips, VeniVidiVici has some good videos (scroll to the bottom of the playlist)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... fmzqnKsF46
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

Papist wrote:There isn't really an equivalent to SOTL in the AoE3 community, mainly because AoE3 is not nearly as complex and nuanced as AoE2 (therefore, not as much material for videos).

I would strongly disagree with that statement. The reason you think there aren't as many complexities and nuances is because there's no one like SOTL around to be explaining them.
momuuu wrote: theres no way eaglemut is truly a top player
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

I've actually been meaning to make some videos like this for a long time. I even have full scripts/images/footage. Just haven't had the time to really invest into finding a good video editor that doesn't cost me $99999999999999 and learning how to use it :(
Great Britain Interjection
Howdah
Donator 04
ESO: Interjection

Post by Interjection »

You can probably get a 2 week trial somewhere, I don't think it will be hard to learn. Try Camtasia, that's very simple to use
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

No Flag DracoWolfgand
Skirmisher

Post by DracoWolfgand »

dansil92 wrote:SamaraiRevolution is a good youtuber. Funny, and plays at a pr19-24 level so more appealing to newer player than, say, lordraphael that makes you feel really really slow and terrible at macro

I have started watching some of his videos, and although they are interesting, I cant help but to have several nitpickets. For a example:

-On his Russia overviewq, he mentioned that he thinks the Russian royal guard units are poor and that he sees little reason to use the Cavalry Archers when he could be using Musketeers instead. The thing is, while I dont think there is anything bad about preferring musketeers over light cavalry per say, Russian Musketeers are actually some of the worst in the game, especially by the time Royal Guard upgrades would actually matter, as the Russian "bonus" that makes their infantry units cheaper but weaker makes their infantry units some of the least population-effective on the game.

-On his India overview, he also seems to greatly underestimate just how good the Zamburak actually is, focusing himself too much on Howdahs. Zamburaks are actually amongst the most population effective light cavalry units on the game, right alongside Ruyters: Six Zamburaks will actually be hitting much harder then one Howdah, and Zamburaks are much less succetiple to "overkill" damage then the Howdah. I think that the reason why he underestimates the Zamburaks is because their low health makes then quite micro-intensive to use too. note that I am not saiyng Howdah are useless per say, but I feel that then and Zamburaks are just more effective in different circunstances.

-Similarly, while I technically agree in that, if you have any plans to continue using the Old Han Army past the Colonia Age, the Old Han Reforms are vital, the truth is that, how do I put it... By the end of the day, you will still be plaiyng a "Make my Army not Suck" card, as in opposed to going with Changdao Swordsman and Arquebusier so that you can use a "Make my Army Good" card.
France P i k i l i c
Howdah
ESO: Pikilic
GameRanger ID: 7497456

Post by P i k i l i c »

Dear @DracoWolfgand,
You think you know a lot of things about this game. I used to be like you, unless I decided to play online, do you play online? If you do, you will see your rank is actually rather low. That actually makes sense, because you actually know less than you think you do. There are things you have understood well, but also others you don't know about or you're wrong about. Be aware the overwhelming majority of the posters on these forums are better players than you, some even are the world top players. And, if they tell you something, and you disagree, you are the one who's wrong. You may not know why, but you will understand later and by playing more. For example, with the years you will understand why mahouts are not so great and why Old Han Reforms is an OP card.
So, I advise you not to try explaining things to people, or at least explaining why this is your point of view, and don't say "this is true, because of that".
I used to think like you, and I learnt more. I don't say all this to offend you, but as an advice. I hope you will realise that what I said is true, gl & hf
Pikilic
Consider not the one who speaks the truth, but the truth that is said

:hmm: AoE logic :hmm:
No Flag DracoWolfgand
Skirmisher

Post by DracoWolfgand »

P i k i l i c wrote:Dear @DracoWolfgand,
You think you know a lot of things about this game. I used to be like you, unless I decided to play online, do you play online? If you do, you will see your rank is actually rather low. That actually makes sense, because you actually know less than you think you do. There are things you have understood well, but also others you don't know about or you're wrong about. Be aware the overwhelming majority of the posters on these forums are better players than you, some even are the world top players. And, if they tell you something, and you disagree, you are the one who's wrong. You may not know why, but you will understand later and by playing more. For example, with the years you will understand why mahouts are not so great and why Old Han Reforms is an OP card.
So, I advise you not to try explaining things to people, or at least explaining why this is your point of view, and don't say "this is true, because of that".
I used to think like you, and I learnt more. I don't say all this to offend you, but as an advice. I hope you will realise that what I said is true, gl & hf
Pikilic

My post actually did not even mentioned Mahout Lancers. Now, if you want to have a conversation about Mahouts, you are free to do that, just... Well, if you watched Samurai video about the Indians, you will see that he actually enjoys using then( And Elephants in general ) as much as I do, if not more so. ... So, if your point is suppose to be that I shouldnt criticize a more experienced player, well, I guess I ough to be using more Mahouts, then!

In all seriousness, I am not claiming to be some kind of professional. It is simply that, when I mention a specific unit, or tactic, that I prefer to use, I actually prefer explaining why I prefer to use this tactic, rather then going "Take my word for it, I know what I am talking about.". So, I prefer that, when responding to my posts on the future, you respond to the points I make on the post as in opposed to my perceived lack of experience or points that I have made on a different topic on the past. With that said, if you would like to explain to me, be it on the form of a post or even show me on a recorded game, just why Russian Musketeers are awesome and you should always use then over Tartar Cavalry Archers, and the same thing goes for Indian Howdahs versus Zamburaks, naturally I am all ears.
European Union scarm
Howdah
ESO: Malebranche

Post by scarm »

Russian Musks are excellent because they are costeffective. You basically can't trade well with them as the opponent. I am mainly focussing on treaty because that what i have decent experience with, and there Russia is considered one of the 4 op civs on RE, because they have a very effective aggressive playstyle, since they can a) again, trade effectively due to their cheap infantry and b) run very well due to instant-train infantry, Fort-Building musks and opriboxes. Their ability to build a fb in a different place in seconds and mass there means, that the russians musks beng rather "populationinefficient" doesn't really matter for most matchups, because you are way better at actually keeping your pop in places where it matters and can be used than other civs. Not saying that cavarchers aren't good, you for example need at least one for an opribox :P
No Flag DracoWolfgand
Skirmisher

Post by DracoWolfgand »

I, by my own admission, have no experience whatsoever with treaty :p. It is weird, I always assumed that on treaty games population efficiency would be more important then cost efficiency, but hey, maybe I was dead wrong.

If I am talking about supremacy games( The area where I have at least a slight inkling of a clue of what I am talking about ), I always got the feeling Russian infantry is pretty good on the early game due to their ability to mass it-Very-Quickly, but it tapers off on the late game, particularly if the game ever reaches the Industrial Age. What, I was told, is actually really rare in high SR games. The reason being, well, mostly what I said above: As the game drags, eventually it comes the point where population efficiency becomes more important then cost efficiency. When I try doing iinfantry strategies with the Russians late game, I always find myself slowly but surely losing territory. Maybe I am doing it wrong, though, I dont know.
European Union scarm
Howdah

Post by scarm »

Generally speaking you are right, but it also matters how good your supply is. If you can't sustain a decent mass, you will find yourself spamming units into a void and losing eco.

I.e. it does not only matter how many stats you have per pop, but also how long those stats are idling.
Tokelau jesus3
Jaeger

Post by jesus3 »

:ear:
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger
ESO: lemmings121

Post by lemmings121 »

Ignore SamaraiRevolution's analisis and opinions on whats good or bad. He might be entertaining for someone new at the game, but better players just dont watch him because he is very clueless and will say a lot of wrong stuff as a fact.
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor
ESO: dansil92

Post by dansil92 »

lemmings121 wrote:Ignore SamaraiRevolution's analisis and opinions on whats good or bad. He might be entertaining for someone new at the game, but better players just dont watch him because he is very clueless and will say a lot of wrong stuff as a fact.

If you wanna play at a <lt level he is pretty good, which is why i suggested him as a starting youtuber (his videos actually led me to buy the game again on steam after like, 13 years of not playing)-- but just watching Saturday smackdown and tournament commentaries is definitely a better way to improve, plus @Interjection may be one of the most entertaining people to listen to on the entire Internet
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger
ESO: lemmings121

Post by lemmings121 »

dansil92 wrote:
lemmings121 wrote:Ignore SamaraiRevolution's analisis and opinions on whats good or bad. He might be entertaining for someone new at the game, but better players just dont watch him because he is very clueless and will say a lot of wrong stuff as a fact.

If you wanna play at a <lt level he is pretty good, which is why i suggested him as a starting youtuber (his videos actually led me to buy the game again on steam after like, 13 years of not playing)-- but just watching Saturday smackdown and tournament commentaries is definitely a better way to improve, plus @Interjection may be one of the most entertaining people to listen to on the entire Internet

Yes ofc, if you just want to have fun and watch some games, he is great, I'm just saying that to DracoWolf, to dont stress to much trying to overanalise samurai's opinions on the game.
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by Papist »

DracoWolfgand wrote:[spoiler=]I, by my own admission, have no experience whatsoever with treaty :p. It is weird, I always assumed that on treaty games population efficiency would be more important then cost efficiency, but hey, maybe I was dead wrong.

If I am talking about supremacy games( The area where I have at least a slight inkling of a clue of what I am talking about ), I always got the feeling Russian infantry is pretty good on the early game due to their ability to mass it-Very-Quickly, but it tapers off on the late game, particularly if the game ever reaches the Industrial Age. What, I was told, is actually really rare in high SR games. The reason being, well, mostly what I said above: As the game drags, eventually it comes the point where population efficiency becomes more important then cost efficiency. When I try doing iinfantry strategies with the Russians late game, I always find myself slowly but surely losing territory. Maybe I am doing it wrong, though, I dont know.[/spoiler]

I'm not quite sure what you mean. Russian musks are always more cost and pop efficient than Euro musks. Based on their colonial stats, you can do the following calculations:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(For reference the gather rate for food is .86/sec and is .6/sec for gold before upgrades)

Russian musketeers: (281/.86) + (93/.6) = 326.7 + 155 = 481.7 vs

481.7/5 = 96.34 vs

Euro musketeers: (75/.86) + (25/.6) = 87.2 + 41.7 = 128.9 vs

(128.9-96.34)/128.9 = .254

Therefore, Russian musks are approximately 25.4% cheaper than standard European musks.
--------
HP comparison: (150-120)/150 = 20%

Ranged damage comparison: (23-18)/23 = 21.7%

Melee damage comparison: (13-10)/13 = 23.1%

Composite combat comparison: (20+21.7+23.1)/3 = 21.6%

Therefore, Russian musks are approximately 21.6% weaker than standard European musks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So basically, Russian musks are 25% cheaper than Euro musks but only 20% weaker, making their trades more cost-effective. Also, I only did the calculations for Russian musks because there is an analagous unit to compare them to -- strelets and cossacks have an even more insane value (especially after Boyars is in). This is why Russia's late game is so good. Although you obviously need a good composition and good macro to take full advantage of it.
No Flag DracoWolfgand
Skirmisher

Post by DracoWolfgand »

No, I mean, they are-Cheaper-Then normal Musketeers, but... I was talking specifically in terms of population efficiency. And honestly, on this regard... Unless there was a part of your math that I missed, Iiiii dont remember Russian Musketeers occupiyng less population space then the ones of any other civ.

On top of that, I was more looking at how good Russian musketeers are on the late game. Now, from what I understand, your math was done assuming just their default Colonial Age stats. I know games dont often get to the Industrial Age, but by this point, as Royal Guards and upgrade cards become more relevant, I assume the math will get more com... You are about to say there is no point using Musketeers on the Fortress Age forwards, arent you?
European Union scarm
Howdah

Post by scarm »

The thing is, population efficiency isn't really a thing unless you have a maxed out eco, until then cost remains the main limiting factor for your unit production. And you a) basically never reach that point in supremacy from what i've seen and b) if you do, what i said about russian musks in treaty kinda becomes relevant. Also because russian lategame eco sucks once maxed out (in treaty) having cheap units is good for them anyways. Also Cossacks are that incredbily population and cost efficient that they can kinda make up for the trashy infantry anyways.
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by Papist »

DracoWolfgand wrote:No, I mean, they are-Cheaper-Then normal Musketeers, but... I was talking specifically in terms of population efficiency. And honestly, on this regard... Unless there was a part of your math that I missed, Iiiii dont remember Russian Musketeers occupiyng less population space then the ones of any other civ.

On top of that, I was more looking at how good Russian musketeers are on the late game. Now, from what I understand, your math was done assuming just their default Colonial Age stats. I know games dont often get to the Industrial Age, but by this point, as Royal Guards and upgrade cards become more relevant, I assume the math will get more com... You are about to say there is no point using Musketeers on the Fortress Age forwards, arent you?

Population efficiency isn't really relevant to this discussion, because you aren't going to reach max pop in most games.

I used musks for my example because doing the comparison is easy (since Euros have the same unit). The same phenomenon is even more dramatic for strelets and cossacks, which do have upgrade cards and are more likely to make an appearance in the late game.
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

Papist wrote:
DracoWolfgand wrote:[spoiler=]I, by my own admission, have no experience whatsoever with treaty :p. It is weird, I always assumed that on treaty games population efficiency would be more important then cost efficiency, but hey, maybe I was dead wrong.

If I am talking about supremacy games( The area where I have at least a slight inkling of a clue of what I am talking about ), I always got the feeling Russian infantry is pretty good on the early game due to their ability to mass it-Very-Quickly, but it tapers off on the late game, particularly if the game ever reaches the Industrial Age. What, I was told, is actually really rare in high SR games. The reason being, well, mostly what I said above: As the game drags, eventually it comes the point where population efficiency becomes more important then cost efficiency. When I try doing iinfantry strategies with the Russians late game, I always find myself slowly but surely losing territory. Maybe I am doing it wrong, though, I dont know.[/spoiler]

I'm not quite sure what you mean. Russian musks are always more cost and pop efficient than Euro musks. Based on their colonial stats, you can do the following calculations:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(For reference the gather rate for food is .86/sec and is .6/sec for gold before upgrades)

Russian musketeers: (281/.86) + (93/.6) = 326.7 + 155 = 481.7 vs

481.7/5 = 96.34 vs

Euro musketeers: (75/.86) + (25/.6) = 87.2 + 41.7 = 128.9 vs

(128.9-96.34)/128.9 = .254

Therefore, Russian musks are approximately 25.4% cheaper than standard European musks.
--------
HP comparison: (150-120)/150 = 20%

Ranged damage comparison: (23-18)/23 = 21.7%

Melee damage comparison: (13-10)/13 = 23.1%

Composite combat comparison: (20+21.7+23.1)/3 = 21.6%

Therefore, Russian musks are approximately 21.6% weaker than standard European musks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So basically, Russian musks are 25% cheaper than Euro musks but only 20% weaker, making their trades more cost-effective. Also, I only did the calculations for Russian musks because there is an analagous unit to compare them to -- strelets and cossacks have an even more insane value (especially after Boyars is in). This is why Russia's late game is so good. Although you obviously need a good composition and good macro to take full advantage of it.

I’m pretty sure that Russian musks have decimals on all of their numbers, making the comparison a bit closer and more exact than you describe. Their cost has decimals, and I believe some of their stats are rounded up on the UI off of decimals too. I could be wrong about the latter, I’m not actually certain, but I’m reasonably certain that the cost as decimals.

Pretty sure the main reason Russian lategame is good is not because the unit is good but more because it’s so easy to stay at max pop when your units train instantaneously.