Just for fun: What would be the AoE3 counterparts of each AoM civilization?

No Flag DracoWolfgand
Skirmisher

Just for fun: What would be the AoE3 counterparts of each AoM civilization?

Post by DracoWolfgand »

Now, first of all, for those of you who played Age of Mythology and this game, it should be pretty blindingly obvious that this game took a lot of hints from Age of Mythology( From subtle things like pathfinding, to more obvious things like the association between the politician systen and the Minor God systen ). Which to make it clear, I dont fully mind, as both games were made by the same people( Well... Same company, at least. I dont actually know anything about the "behind the scenes" of either game ), and both games have their own gimmicks which make then their "own" game. But recently, I begun asking myself the question: So... What would be the closest counterpart of each civilization from-That-Franchise, into-This-Game?( I would rather exclude the Chinese because they are too strikingly obvious ).

For the Greeks: Hard to say, but I kind of want to say the Dutch, because Dutch Halberdiers are kind of, sorta comparable to Hoplites, which the greek used a lot historically. Of course, the greek, of AoM, are a incredibly versatile civ that most certainly can NOT be reduced to just their Hoplites( That is actually part of what I loved about AoM: The civs of that game were all incredibly versatile while somehow feeling unique and very distinct from eachother at the same time ), so one could probably make decent arguments for then plaiyng like other civs as well.

For the Egyptians: So... I want to say the Indians, thematically, because both civs prefer to use "unconventional" cavalry over "traditional" cavalry-Namely on the form of Elephants and Camels-But, actually... At a further look, you realise that is actually all they have in common. Egyptian cavalry was much better( On its own game ) and played much differently then Indian cavalry, and where their infantry was concerned, the Indians are stronger and have more of a focus on quantity over quality... Hmmm...

For the Norse: My first thought was the Aztecs due to both civilizations focus on meele infantry units! Then I remembered that the Norse were more of a "Cavalry and infantry" civ, while the Aztecs are more of a "Infantry and archers" civ, having no "true" cavalry units whatsoever. So, with that in mind, I wonder who else could I go with... Germans, maybe? Norse units leaned a bit on the glass canon side, and both the Doppelsoldner and the Uhlans are kind of glass canons, so...

Atlanteans: So, on the case of this one, there are actually-Three-Civs who inherited some kind of gimmick originally belonging to the Atlanteans: The British with their Manors, the Germans with their Settler Wagons, and the Aztecs, whose Jaguar Warriors resemble the Atlantean fanatics and who also happen to posess the longest ranged archer in the game( Although, one could argue the Atlantean Arcus actually plays a lot more like the British Longbowmam, where the Aztec Arrow Knight would be more comparable with the Greek Gastraphetes ). Of these civilizations, I was wondering which one matches the most with the Atlanteans thematically... I kiiiind of want to say the Aztecs, because they are the most "ancient" of the bunch, but I am not sure...
France P i k i l i c
Howdah
ESO: Pikilic
GameRanger ID: 7497456

Re: Just for fun: What would be the AoE3 counterparts of each AoM civilization?

Post by P i k i l i c »

Hmm... I didn't play AoM very much. But I remember Norse have some kind of German Settler Wagons. But to be honest civilization-speaking I personally find too many differences between AoM and AoE3 gameplays to really compare
Consider not the one who speaks the truth, but the truth that is said

:hmm: AoE logic :hmm: