What is more important: IQ or mechanics?

France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Re: What is more important: IQ or mechanics?

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

Yea, also unless you have 70 IQ, you can learn a lot from experience. Mental and preparation also play a big part at very high level so I wouldn't say that IQ really matters.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

So much bs in this thread omg.
@momuuu
Yes I know what correlation means. IQ and proficiency in games usually go together. Then of course other aspects are necessary to master something (experience above all).
@Diarouga
Elite sportsman are intelligent in a way. It may not be quantificable with the IQ but you dont get good at any sport if you are stupid. In team sports actually spacial intelligence is extremely evident. In videogames even more.
@tedere12
I dont know how did you get other players IQ score but kasparov also had an estimated IQ of 170 or something like that. Now, it isnt his real IQ but it is still a perception of his intelligence which is higher than others. I aslo doubt, anyway, that many other chess players have more than 135 of kasparov.
In any case, expertise also play a role jn success. But again if you dont have a baseline of intelligence you cant even try to be successful at something like chess.
Image Image Image
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

Its amazing. You say you understand what correlation means yet you also say things you wouldn't say if you knew what correlation meant. Your mental gymnastics that you perform to preserve your own flawed perception of yourself never cease to amaze me.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

jesus christ stop being a douchebag. I know what correlation is and it works for the 2 considered variables. I couldnt care less if I made a mistake in the definition of correlation.
What matters here is that there is a tendency for better players to have a higher iq and for high iq people to perform well in games
Image Image Image
France bwinner
Howdah
Donator 01
ESO: bwinner

Post by bwinner »

do you really think football or rugby players are more intelligent than other people ? @Garja
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

momuuu wrote:Its amazing. You say you understand what correlation means yet you also say things you wouldn't say if you knew what correlation meant. Your mental gymnastics that you perform to preserve your own flawed perception of yourself never cease to amaze me.

Have you contributed a single positive thing to this community in the past year, or is it just flaming and passive aggressive comments?
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

Garja wrote:jesus christ stop being a douchebag. I know what correlation is and it works for the 2 considered variables. I couldnt care less if I made a mistake in the definition of correlation.
What matters here is that there is a tendency for better players to have a higher iq and for high iq people to perform well in games

It's not a matter of using the correct definition, it's that you don't seem to understand what that definition means. How else could you write this:
Garja wrote:No you cant be dumb af and be good at any game.
As said there is a correlation between iq score and ability in sports an games.

The correlation means that people that are good at sports/games on average have a higher iq than people that are bad at sports/games. That doesn't mean that a dumb person can't be good at sports/games. You conclude something that can't be conclude based on just a correlation, yet you provide the correlation as your main argument. How did this happen garja?
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

bwinner1 wrote:do you really think football or rugby players are more intelligent than other people ? @Garja

Eh that's already making further assumptions.
In terms of a standardized IQ with people from different fields perhaps no even tho it depends who compare them to (they are probably average in fact). You cant compare pears and apples.
A better question would be, do you think better players are more intelligent than bad players on average?
Image Image Image
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

@momuuu
why you try so hard to discuss on the form rather than the sustance zzz. Those are 2 different ststements, one is about correlation the other is just an answer to bwinner post. I know that technically correlation doesnt exclude that possibility but in practice a very dumb person is gonna be a bad player.
Image Image Image
Turkey HUMMAN
Lancer
ESO: HUMMAN

Post by HUMMAN »

bwinner1 wrote:do you really think football or rugby players are more intelligent than other people ? @Garja

if they are top %0.01 yea. There are claims reason brain improved is motor functions, which is pretty complex. Implying walking or staying at different positions at robots are pretty diffucult. Now at the sports like football rugby etc you have to deal with objects, create strat, coordinate with team etc.
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

Yeah jerom chill with garja lol, all your posts seem to be targeted towards him, dont get me wrong it was amusing at first but the obessession of our sexy italien god is too much
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

Garja could also stop spewing out nonsense as if he eats it for breakfast. I swear half of his statements are demonstrably false.
Turkey HUMMAN
Lancer
ESO: HUMMAN

Post by HUMMAN »

#drama
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

intelligence is a buzzword. Most people don't even know what exactly they mean by it when they mention it. IQ is surely not the only measurement of intelligence.
United States of America SoldieR
Pro Player
ESO: SoldieR

Post by SoldieR »

Classic argue about how to argue topic
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

umeu wrote:intelligence is a buzzword. Most people don't even know what exactly they mean by it when they mention it. IQ is surely not the only measurement of intelligence.
I think the whole idea of iq is stupid in the first place. I mean its not possible to quantify someones intelligence, let alone by a simple multiple choice test that can be completed in an hour.
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

gibson wrote:
umeu wrote:intelligence is a buzzword. Most people don't even know what exactly they mean by it when they mention it. IQ is surely not the only measurement of intelligence.
I think the whole idea of iq is stupid in the first place. I mean its not possible to quantify someones intelligence, let alone by a simple multiple choice test that can be completed in an hour.
I don't know what kind of IQ test you took, but mine took at least 4 hours and had a wide range of topics, including logical reasoning, verbal intelligence, mathematical insight, memory and general knowledge. The outcome wasn't just one number, but a number for each of the different elements, so you know exactly what your strengths and weaknesses are. Yours probably was a free one on the internet if it was a one-hour multiple choice one.

But even then, the result will be different every day and it influenced on a lot of factors. That doesn't make IQ stupid overall, because it's still one of the best ways we have to rougly measure someone's intelligence at that given time.
France bwinner
Howdah
Donator 01

Post by bwinner »

Garja wrote:

Eh that's already making further assumptions.
In terms of a standardized IQ with people from different fields perhaps no even tho it depends who compare them to (they are probably average in fact). You cant compare pears and apples.
A better question would be, do you think better players are more intelligent than bad players on average?

Well when when I say football/rugby players I mean professional ones aka top 1% so good players compared to everyone else aka bad players.
Armenia Sargsyan
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: lamergamer
Clan: c0ns

Post by Sargsyan »

Top players have better physicality wtf
Like Mkhitaryan speaks 7 languages and has phd in economics but hes nowhere near Messi's or Ronaldo's level
krichk wrote:For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge Challenger_Marco
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

Ye that's comparing pears and apples.
Top players have better physics and a number of other mental attributes that make them successful in their field and that people outisde of sport have more limited.
Not to mention that elite players usually know several languages and depending on the sport they have similar intelligence attributes of those of other fields.
Even in the field of science succesful.people are not simply more intelligent, they also have more experience, etc.
Image Image Image
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

edeholland wrote:
gibson wrote:
I don't know what kind of IQ test you took, but mine took at least 4 hours and had a wide range of topics, including logical reasoning, verbal intelligence, mathematical insight, memory and general knowledge. The outcome wasn't just one number, but a number for each of the different elements, so you know exactly what your strengths and weaknesses are. Yours probably was a free one on the internet if it was a one-hour multiple choice one.

But even then, the result will be different every day and it influenced on a lot of factors. That doesn't make IQ stupid overall, because it's still one of the best ways we have to rougly measure someone's intelligence at that given time.

Iq tests only test for certain types of knowledge and intelligence though. Iq testers generally know this, but the public treats it as if the iq test is the once and for all deciding factor, or that its ranked higher because its been tested, quantified and therefore legitimized. Social intelligence for one isnt measured by most if any iq tests
France bwinner
Howdah
Donator 01

Post by bwinner »

Garja wrote:Ye that's comparing pears and apples.
Top players have better physics and a number of other mental attributes that make them successful in their field and that people outisde of sport have more limited.
Not to mention that elite players usually know several languages and depending on the sport they have similar intelligence attributes of those of other fields.
Even in the field of science succesful.people are not simply more intelligent, they also have more experience, etc.

But you can very well have good physic and bad IQ... This isn't even related. Like the most important attribute could be to run fast and I don't see how you need to be intelligent to do that.
Then they can only speak several language because they need to when they live in a foreign country or they are taugh how to in formation centers +a lot of them still don't learn the language after several years in the country while you never see that in other professions, like Ibrahimovic can't speak a word of french for instance.
I don't think they are especially dumb but not especially smart either.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Garja means a different type of intelligence.

Also, ibracadabra lived in like a dozen different countries, and the lingua franca (pun not intended) is generally english. You definitely see this in other professions and in other countries, i can personally attest to this. My manager doesnt speak the local language after 7 years in the country, and he probably never will as he doesnt need it in his professional life nor in his limited day to day contact with locals. Hes definitely not the exception. Learning a language is quite intensive, and if you dont use it regularly, you will lose the skill and knowledge. I was advanced at french after 6 years of high school, but now i dropped to intermediate or even pre intermediate as ive never used it after high school again.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

bwinner1 wrote:

But you can very well have good physic and bad IQ... This isn't even related. Like the most important attribute could be to run fast and I don't see how you need to be intelligent to do that.
Then they can only speak several language because they need to when they live in a foreign country or they are taugh how to in formation centers +a lot of them still don't learn the language after several years in the country while you never see that in other professions, like Ibrahimovic can't speak a word of french for instance.

As I tried to point out, top sport players dont only have good physique they are also intelligent. And anyway in order to have good physical abilities you need to be intelligent as well.
Ibrahimovic is definetely an example of smart person, the fact that he doesnt onow French is because he probably never wanted to learn it.
He does speak some Italian for example.
Image Image Image
France bwinner
Howdah
Donator 01

Post by bwinner »

Garja wrote:
bwinner1 wrote:

As I tried to point out, top sport players dont only have good physique they are also intelligent. And anyway in order to have good physical abilities you need to be intelligent as well.
Ibrahimovic is definetely an example of smart person, the fact that he doesnt onow French is because he probably never wanted to learn it.
He does speak some Italian for example.

I never implied ibra is dumb. Though if you want me to find dumb top player : RibƩry can't even speak a proper french even though it's his nativ language (he can't speak any language properly in fact) for instance.
Then you have plenty of other who's I doubt the intelligence like maradona, balotelli or nasri...
In rugby there is even better examples : so many player are gifted red cards and make lose their team just because they are stupid. I have played rugby myself and I know it can be frustrating, but if you answer to provocations, you are just dumb (btw this is also the case for zidane who lost a world cup with that).