smurfs are ruining the game

Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

smurfs are ruining the game

Post by spanky4ever »

I am a low ranked player - Yes I know! But I would say I am better than what my rank actually tells you. Why do I say so?
I like to play 1v1. And when I meet a person that is not a smurf, we will have a good game. But more than 50% of the time, I meet some OP player with a smurf account, who like to bash noobs. Looks like smurfs prefer 1v1?

There is all this talk about who is best, and who has the highest rank in the chat, and in the forums. What is odd though, is that most of the ppl who reach high ranks, prefer to play unrated with their peers. When they grow tired of playing against a person who can match them, they make tons of smurfs, and bash corporal and sergeants like myself.
Its kind of putting me off the game I must admit. I mean. I like to watch OP play, but I don't like to be bashed by smurfs all the time.

You don't have to agree with me on this. I'm just stating my experience with the game - and the smurf thing is just about ruining the fun of it.

btw editors, if this is the wrong place to post this. feel free to move it, cos it is pretty confusing where to put your posts these days ;)
Hippocrits are the worst of animals. I love elifants.
France Aykin Haraka
Howdah
EWT
ESO: aykin

Re: smurfs are ruining the game

Post by Aykin Haraka »

you should try EP even if there's no low players
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

Aykin Haraka wrote:you should try EP even if there's no low players

EP is not welcoming to low ranked players like me, I would just prefer to play RE and be left alone from the noob bashers. :cry:
France bwinner
Howdah
Donator 01
ESO: bwinner

Post by bwinner »

Aykin Haraka wrote:you should try EP even if there's no low players

there is some, they are usually smurfing on sirmusket's account
Tokelau jesus3
Jaeger

Post by jesus3 »

papa smurf is a boss
Sweden tabben
Lancer
EWTNWC LAN Bronze
ESO: tabben

Post by tabben »

seems like a very strategy related thread indeed! :smile:

Anyways, if you're referring to games you've played on the account 'iwillspankyou' - by looking through the elo of those players you've lost to recently, i can tell you that neither of those seem to be smurf accounts. And it's not hard to tell, literally all of them are "stuck" around the rank they were when they played you (corporal - master sergeant), compared to a smurf who would quickly rank up within a couple of games. And you're wrong if you think high level players enjoy bashing corporals/sergeants, like no offense but playing AI is probably more exciting. Could maybe see 1st lts/captains looking to bash players around pr12, but again it doesn't seem to be the case with your opponents lately.

My suggestion is to just add accounts that you trust to not be smurfs and stick to playing with them. Generally there are alot more opponents to choose from at lower levels which is good for you :flowers:
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

jesus3 wrote:papa smurf is a boss

I made this post, cos I really dont think its funny. It's more wrecking the game. You might think its funny though? I remember HO2 hosting a game over a few days, where he was ranking up with his howdah- account, bashing players who are much worse than him, all along his trail. He had an account that ranked him in the top, but I guess it was super fun to put down players who thought he was their peer. I think this is not very fun, and I also said this in the chat. Everybody else seemed to think it was super fun though.
I just think this is getting to a level, that it's ruining the fun for players like myself. And who do you think the game will prosper when real corporals/sergeants just don't find the game fair anymore? We are the bread and butter of this game, and if we leave, you can play EP all by yourself. GLHF :idea:
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

Yea, usually it's fun to bash people who are 10-15 pr lower than you because you can troll but if there's still a way you lose if you troll too hard. Playing against people below pr25 as a top player isn't fun.
France bwinner
Howdah
Donator 01

Post by bwinner »

also I believe there is much less smurf in low level than in high level, just because less experimented player usually don't have access to more than 1 account. So stop crying.
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

No need to be rude guys.

Are there really a lot of people smurfing at that elo though? I don't really understand what the point would be :S For me, at least, the only reason I would smurf is if I really can't find any games, and even then I try not to play with anyone below major level unless I'm truly desperate to alleviate my boredom. Most of the time I would rather log off than play vs someone lower than that because it's just not fun for me.
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

So racist towards blue people
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

tabben wrote:seems like a very strategy related thread indeed! :smile:

Anyways, if you're referring to games you've played on the account 'iwillspankyou' - by looking through the elo of those players you've lost to recently, i can tell you that neither of those seem to be smurf accounts. And it's not hard to tell, literally all of them are "stuck" around the rank they were when they played you (corporal - master sergeant), compared to a smurf who would quickly rank up within a couple of games. And you're wrong if you think high level players enjoy bashing corporals/sergeants, like no offense but playing AI is probably more exciting. Could maybe see 1st lts/captains looking to bash players around pr12, but again it doesn't seem to be the case with your opponents lately.

My suggestion is to just add accounts that you trust to not be smurfs and stick to playing with them. Generally there are alot more opponents to choose from at lower levels which is good for you :flowers:

+1 I think the one and only answer. And as a 1st lt/ captain player myself, I can say that even at my level nobody (in their right mind) would consider playing vs PR12 for fun.
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
Great Britain I_HaRRiiSoN_I
Retired Contributor

Post by I_HaRRiiSoN_I »

For example if mitoe asked to play a game vs me (PR 25) I would say yes, and wouldnt feel hard done by if i lost as I know there is a large difference in skill and knowledge. If somebody of a similar rank to me was playing against me but then destroys me I would feel disheartened that I'm not playing to the same standard as my opponent as I think Pr level is fairly re-presentable of a persons skill level rather accurately below pr30. What really annoys me is when streamers play on random accounts (around the captain mark) and play rated games and still play a try hard style (with all the game knowledge and micro/macro which took them to colonel+ ranks), and everyone is just chilling thinking its normal. Now i wouldnt want to say where smurfing is most prevalent but it's not going to affect the very top players of the game as well they we beat (or at least have a close game) with anybody smurf or not. decaying PR ranks from player inactivity definitely doesnt help this situation . My opinion, im not crying over it - but i'm possibly not playing as much as a result of it.
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

bwinner1 wrote:also I believe there is much less smurf in low level than in high level, just because less experimented player usually don't have access to more than 1 account. So stop crying.

lol, who are you kidding? There are a lot of ppl. with 10s of smurfs, enjoying to bash ppl with much lower skill level. There was a glitch sometime back (dont know if it exists now) where some ppl could make as many accounts they wanted, for free. And the 7 dollar sale 2 times a year? Its not new ppl making all those accounts! Most of them are old players, making new smurf accounts. :shock:
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

I hope the new AOE3 DE will cost 600 dollars, and no sales - anytime!
France Aykin Haraka
Howdah
EWT
ESO: aykin

Post by Aykin Haraka »

actually i'm pretty sure it wasn't you playing on bwinner ;)
France bwinner
Howdah
Donator 01

Post by bwinner »

iwillspankyou wrote:
bwinner1 wrote:also I believe there is much less smurf in low level than in high level, just because less experimented player usually don't have access to more than 1 account. So stop crying.

lol, who are you kidding? There are a lot of ppl. with 10s of smurfs, enjoying to bash ppl with much lower skill level. There was a glitch sometime back (dont know if it exists now) where some ppl could make as many accounts they wanted, for free. And the 7 dollar sale 2 times a year? Its not new ppl making all those accounts! Most of them are old players, making new smurf accounts. :shock:

As you said, old player have smurf and there is a much lower rate of old player at pr12 than at pr30 (since the rate is 100% at pr30). At major+ level, if you don't know your opponent, it's a smurf almost all the time.
India rsy
Jaeger
Donator 01

Post by rsy »

Mitoe wrote:I try not to play with anyone below major level unless I'm truly desperate to alleviate my boredom. Most of the time I would rather log off than play vs someone lower than that because it's just not fun for me.

oh my feels bad to be mitoe's last choice to play with.
as far as smurfs go if u know u just played a smurf why give a fuck. also people don't play on the same level every time .like a 1lt could beat a major at times and still lose to an ms at times. also theres the case of the men who drink or smoke and play and play much worse than heir real level.
Also why this thread in strategy section lol. @edeholland @Cometk @Papist
United States of America noissance
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: noissance

Post by noissance »

I blame the infinite account creation exploit.
Error 404: Signature not found
Singapore Thrar
Retired Contributor
ESO: Thrar

Post by Thrar »

I can relate to the feeling, but I think it's important to understand that a win rate of ~50% is expected when playing people around your skill level. Sometimes your opponent may have a particularly good game while yours isn't going too well, and even though you may feel you never had a chance it's still just due to variance.
It's the same for me, I'm around PR 20 and sometimes get absolutely crushed by someone around my level, but looking at their stats or the rec it usually becomes quite clear that they just did well while I didn't.

As tabben suggested, looking at the data doesn't show much evidence of a significant number of smurfs in your games. It's a well-researched fallacy that humans generally tend to intuitively misinterpret occurrence rates, so something like a 50% win rate can feel like 30%, even though data says otherwise. Perhaps that's part of what's at play here.
Another factor could be getting tilted after some bad results. I've had days where I play 3-4 games, lose them all, and get so annoyed at my own poor performance that I just have to keep playing to prove to myself that I can still win. Of course, being frustrated is not a good state of mind for playing, so I lose more, get more frustrated, and so on. I'm trying to pay more attention to this and take a break when it happens, but it's not always easy for me to notice while in the moment.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

tabben wrote:seems like a very strategy related thread indeed! :smile:

Tbf, the worst part of ranking up a new acc is working through all the players under pr29.
Smurfing doesnt get fun until you can make overrated majors ragequit.
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

well @Cometk what do you think? can you just rank up as a rocket ?
United States of America Cometk
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

it's pretty hard for spank to rank up
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

Cometk wrote:it's pretty hard for spank to rank up

you been me for a little while, and you where much better than me. you won most. but lost one. How much did you rank up? being OP you? not much?
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

one smurf that ruin your game, on his trail to OP, is about to rek the game. cos there are just to many of you smurfs (and you know it)