ALT + D

Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Re: ALT + D

Post by momuuu »

tedere12 wrote:I don't think reviving explorer by changing it's stance was intented. What would be the purpose of it? Pull trick and treasure guard creeping have a purpose, they make the game a lot more functional, if they didn't exist the game would be a lot crappier.

Do you think the code that makes pull trick possible was put in there to enable skirms running away at 6 speed or so? Or do you think they put it in there so units form formations more smoothly?

Also, what makes you think the way treasure creeping works precisely was intended? For all we know they did intend the treasure guardians to reset when you leave the range, but it seems highly speculative to conclude that the behaviour that occurs when shooting treasure guardians outside of treasure range works the way they intended it to work.
France flontier
Lancer
Intermediate Division Winner
ESO: Flontier
Clan: PLOP

Post by flontier »

Wow i havent read the whole discussion but there is some obvious point.

I'm not pro of this but i guess in every game (i hope) while it is designed, there is people who have to...test the game.

Do you think that these aoe3 guys haven't seen the pull trick and treasure creeping stuff while testing ? Well they fucked up so many others stuff on this game but you cant missed this 2 things after playing 5min of this game. So exept if the dev team of aoe3 created this game while drinking i dont know how they wouldn't have intended pull trick and treasure creeping.

On the other hand, alt-d isnt obvious to notice like the 2 others, and they probably missed to see it and fixed it thats why its a bug clearly not intended.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

flontier wrote:Wow i havent read the whole discussion but there is some obvious point.

I'm not pro of this but i guess in every game (i hope) while it is designed, there is people who have to...test the game.

Do you think that these aoe3 guys haven't seen the pull trick and treasure creeping stuff while testing ? Well they fucked up so many others stuff on this game but you cant missed this 2 things after playing 5min of this game. So exept if the dev team of aoe3 created this game while drinking i dont know how they wouldn't have intended pull trick and treasure creeping.

In the other hand, alt-d isnt obvious like the 2 others, and they probably missed to see it and fixed it thats why its a bug clearly not intended.

Pull trick is actually pretty new in aoe3's history, so I dont know how you concluded that a few devs would test and find it when millions of players took years to really discover it. I remember reading a quote from a streetfighter (or other popular fighting game) dev where they discovered the possibility to do infinite combos but decided to not patch it out because they thought it would be too hard to do.

This also doesn't rule out the possibility that they discovered the bug but left it in because they didnt dislike it. Something that happened a lot to sc broodwar for example
United States of America Papist
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Papist

Post by Papist »

Kaiserklein wrote:Actually creeping is definitely not a bug. But side stepping most likely is

So side stepping (microing your explorer so the treasure guardian's attack gets messed up and it literally RUNS OFF THE MAP) is only "most likely" bug, but alt d is definitely bug? Can you clarify what your standard for declaring something a bug is?
https://youtu.be/oMYW7TtN8Pc?t=43

As for creeping, are you telling me that animals doing this when shot outside the treasure radius was intentional?
https://youtu.be/zdSSVCfDOeg?t=91

You're free to think creeping is good or bad, but it's just silly to say this isn't a bug. Being able to kill guardians without taking any damage on your explorer defeats the entire treasure mechanic.

tedere12 wrote:I don't think reviving explorer by changing it's stance was intented. What would be the purpose of it? Pull trick and treasure guard creeping have a purpose, they make the game a lot more functional, if they didn't exist the game would be a lot crappier.

It definitely wasn't intended and I don't think anyone here is arguing that is was. The problem I have is with people calling alt d cheating because "it's a bug", while defending other bugs.
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
Spain Snuden
Jaeger
ESO: Snuden

Post by Snuden »

So if I press "Alt + d", my explorer revives?

If yes, the argument that it should be allowed is ridiculous.
[Sith] - Baphomet
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

Snuden wrote:So if I press "Alt + d", my explorer revives?

If yes, the argument that it should be allowed is ridiculous.

Why?
France flontier
Lancer
Intermediate Division Winner
ESO: Flontier
Clan: PLOP

Post by flontier »

momuuu wrote:Pull trick is actually pretty new in aoe3's history, so I dont know how you concluded that a few devs would test and find it when millions of players took years to really discover it.

Its not new at all...and you just cant remove it from the game for gameplay reason like tedere has explained there is purpose behind this.

momuuu wrote: I remember reading a quote from a streetfighter (or other popular fighting game) dev where they discovered the possibility to do infinite combos but decided to not patch it out because they thought it would be too hard to do.

This also doesn't rule out the possibility that they discovered the bug but left it in because they didnt dislike it. Something that happened a lot to sc broodwar for example

Yea as if they could have like it or it was hard to do... They take risk to do a game very different from aoe2 with HC cards, 3d graphisms and new mechanics like the snare effect to make the game more realistic and they could have accepted a bug where you can revive your explo by typing melee hotkey ? yea probably.
No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Post by tedere12 »

momuuu wrote:

Do you think the code that makes pull trick possible was put in there to enable skirms running away at 6 speed or so? Or do you think they put it in there so units form formations more smoothly?

Also, what makes you think the way treasure creeping works precisely was intended? For all we know they did intend the treasure guardians to reset when you leave the range, but it seems highly speculative to conclude that the behaviour that occurs when shooting treasure guardians outside of treasure range works the way they intended it to work.

Doesn't each unit have a maximum speed limit which is the speed it is allowed to move with when it is pulled into the army? The pull trick exists for the reason you mentioned, in games like stronghold crusader where there is no such thing, things can get very messy and it's frustrating to control your army. People might use it to pull their explorer and free him from snare, but the way I see it, it's exploiting a game mechanic for a different purpose, it's not a bug and it makes sense, unlike changing unit stance to revive a dead unit.

I believe it was intented because it would be really hard to take treasures if the treasure guardians kept running back to the treasure or attacked your explorer after the first shot. It would lead into enemy scouting the treasue before you can collect it, you losing your explorer and not being able to scout, less intense age 1 game and the game being more boring overall. Even if it was unintentional, it serves a purpose, whereas using alt + D to revive dead explorer doesn't.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

flontier wrote:
momuuu wrote:Pull trick is actually pretty new in aoe3's history, so I dont know how you concluded that a few devs would test and find it when millions of players took years to really discover it.

Its not new at all...and you just cant remove it from the game for gameplay reason like tedere has explained there is purpose behind this.

Can you find a game or source from say, ~2010, where people actually discuss or use this pull trick? I don't recall seeing it or seeing it mentioned around then.

momuuu wrote: I remember reading a quote from a streetfighter (or other popular fighting game) dev where they discovered the possibility to do infinite combos but decided to not patch it out because they thought it would be too hard to do.

Yea as if they could have like it or it was hard to do... They take risk to do a game very different from aoe2 with HC cards, 3d graphisms and new mechanics like the snare effect to make the game more realistic and they could have accepted a bug where you can revive your explo by typing melee hotkey ? yea probably.

Ultimately you are arguing that bugs are per definition cheats, arent you?
No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Post by tedere12 »

Papist wrote:

It definitely wasn't intended and I don't think anyone here is arguing that is was. The problem I have is with people calling alt d cheating because "it's a bug", while defending other bugs.

Alt + D is definitely not cheating in my opinion, I said that in my first post. It's however clearly an unintended feature people use to gain unfair advantage, the difference between reviving your exlorer to build a TP or steal a treasure or scouting and having a dead explorer is very big and could be game changing.
How could you compare alt + D to actual intended game mechanics that require (minimal) skill and effort and actually make some sense?
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

tedere12 wrote:
Papist wrote:

Alt + D is definitely not cheating in my opinion, I said that in my first post. It's however clearly an unintended feature people use to gain unfair advantage, the difference between reviving your exlorer to build a TP or steal a treasure or scouting and having a dead explorer is very big and could be game changing.
How could you compare alt + D to actual intended game mechanics that require (minimal) skill and effort and actually make some sense?

Again, why is it an unfair advantage if both players can use it?
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

momuuu wrote:
tedere12 wrote:
Show hidden quotes

https://eso-community.net/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=14833
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:
momuuu wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Do you understand what "unfair advantage" means?
United States of America _H2O
ESOC Business Team
Donator 06
ESO: _H2O

Post by _H2O »

This is just arguing for the sake of arguing. It’s not helpful to confuse people on this topic with the exploit being obviously bad for the game. Not only is it unproductive, it is selfish to create such a debate on the topic and defend the obviously wrong position just to engage in debate. All you get is confusion and more people thinking they can justify using this tactic in games.
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

momuuu wrote:
Mr_Bramboy wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Do you understand what "unfair advantage" means?

Exploiting game bugs falls well within "unfair advantage", that's why it is typically a bannable offense in actively moderated online games.

momuuu wrote: theres no way eaglemut is truly a top player
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

Yeah, I mean point trading isn't even bug exploit. It follows the rules to a T. why would they even ban that?

This discussion is absolutely retarded.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

So what? You can't call something unfair that is not unfair.

Well I guess you can, but that's the actual "retarded" thing going on here.
No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Post by tedere12 »

momuuu wrote:
tedere12 wrote:
Show hidden quotes

because not both players have the opportunity to use it in order to gain an advantage. The way I see it, using alt + D to revive your explorer is equal to making certain mistakes and getting away with them/not getting punished as you should. Therefore, they gain an advantage over what should happen if they didn't revive their explorer.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

Saying using alt-d is unfair is like getting angry that the opposing football team is trying to use offside to their advantage.

It's like saying it's unfair that the opponent is killing your explorer to begin with. By this standard anything can be called unfair because it's just completely arbitrary.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

Honestly not worth wasting time answering jerom and papist, they just lack the common sense required to make a difference between obvious glitches and abusing well defined mechanics. I'm being rude but it's just the truth
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Hungary Dsy
Lancer

Post by Dsy »

Its just a dev question. Just fix it and no issue more.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

Kaiserklein wrote:Honestly not worth wasting time answering jerom and papist, they just lack the common sense required to make a difference between obvious glitches and abusing well defined mechanics. I'm being rude but it's just the truth

I'd say you can't defend the views that you consider obvious, and thus you just resort to insulting people instead. If only you had the common sense and mental capacity to defend your views.

In this thread there are zero solid arguments to prove that alt-d is a cheat. There's not a single reason that shows why alt-d is somehow inherently unfair. People that back up and just claim "its obvious" are very sad people in my eyes. Don't you guys want a reason to believe something? Or is just following your very first instinct of what others have said for the rest of your life enough for you? I'm happy I'm not such a simple sheep.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player

Post by Kaiserklein »

I've explained my point countless times in other threads, not gonna bother again just because like 5% of the community can't understand them and keep crying about alt d every single time
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

Kaiserklein wrote:I've explained my point countless times in other threads, not gonna bother again just because like 5% of the community can't understand them and keep crying about alt d every single time

Haha, the "I explained this before and I don't care but I'm right" argument. How sad. Not that I'm surprised.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player

Post by Kaiserklein »

Jaja