Thar Desert is not tournament ready.

No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Thar Desert is not tournament ready.

Post by deleted_user0 »

Redesign the map before tournament games are played on it.

The design is fine. But certain things need to be tweaked.

Sometimes spawns are bad, leading to (in order of most occurring)

1) Trees being too far from tc and usually in front of tc
2) 2nd and 3rd hunt too far from tc
3) 1st mine in front and 2nd mine too far from tc

Wood tres often spawn 2 on the same side.

Also, please fix the little hills/rough terrain, it's super annoying, especially when it's in your base, fucking up herding and building etc.
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Re: Thar Desert is not tournament ready.

Post by EAGLEMUT »

umeu wrote:Redesign the map before tournament games are played on it.

The design is fine.
:hmm:

I think everything you listed here are intended features of the map. The terrain elevation is just visual and doesn't affect build sites, to my knowledge.
United States of America musketeer925
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: musketeer925

Post by musketeer925 »

EAGLEMUT wrote:

The design is fine.

The terrain elevation is just visual and doesn't affect build sites, to my knowledge.

Hilly elevation can lead to seeing building locations through fog, as building construction flattens the ground, and this change is immediately visible through fog.
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

That is true, but it sounded more like @deleted_user is claiming that these dunes make it harder to place buildings.
momuuu wrote: theres no way eaglemut is truly a top player
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

EAGLEMUT wrote:

The design is fine.

I think everything you listed here are intended features of the map. The terrain elevation is just visual and doesn't affect build sites, to my knowledge.

it does affect walking distance, which affects herding, and retreating vils for raids, as you can't easily judge how far it is exactly due to elevation. It doesn't affect building itself, but due to the aforementioned, then it may lead to you placing buildings in wrong spot.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

Elevation does affect walking distance. Most EP maps have lower elevation than RE maps. This is something that will be addressed in furute. As for Thar Desert ask @Rikikipu
Image Image Image
United States of America Darwin_
Howdah

Post by Darwin_ »

Regardless of the elevation, the mines and trees on thar can spawn pretty far away from your tc.
somppukunkku wrote:This is not a fucking discogame.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

Thar Desert isn't the greatest map, yea...
Howdah

Post by Darwin_ »

If I were playing in the tournament, I would much rather play on Gran Chaco or Bengal, even parallel rivers. Even as a viewer I don't like Thar desert that much either, as there's just not much going on.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Thar desert makes for exciting games. Hunts are spread out, and the many wood treasures can jump start builds. Play often isn't so linear.
United States of America Papist
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Papist

Post by Papist »

umeu wrote:
EAGLEMUT wrote:

The design is fine.

it does affect walking distance, which affects herding, and retreating vils for raids, as you can't easily judge how far it is exactly due to elevation. It doesn't affect building itself, but due to the aforementioned, then it may lead to you placing buildings in wrong spot.

Why are those bad things? It seems like another nuance of the game you can pick up with experience which is the entire point of having a diverse map pool, yes?
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Papist wrote:
umeu wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Why are those bad things? It seems like another nuance of the game you can pick up with experience which is the entire point of having a diverse map pool, yes?

no, it's just bad design. it makes certain civs unplayable.
United States of America Papist
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Papist

Post by Papist »

How so?
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

I don't know the map so don't take this as an argument for or against the quality of its design, but imo there's nothing wrong with the fact that it makes certain civs unplayable, assuming that's the case. It's not great for a map randomly picked in a rated game, but if you know what map you're playing on beforehand (which you would in a tournament) you can base your civ pick on it.
Howdah

Post by Darwin_ »

Goodspeed wrote:but imo there's nothing wrong with the fact that it makes certain civs unplayable, assuming that's the case...if you know what map you're playing on beforehand (which you would in a tournament) you can base your civ pick on it.

I don't really have anything against this argument, but if there were similar maps (no tp/no water) that do no disproportionately favour some civs and make others "unplayable," then I would much rather have those maps in the pool. And because there are two other maps (bengal and gran chaco) that are quite similar but are much more balanced in terms of favouring some civs, I would rather have those than Thar.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

I do remember really liking Bengal. I'd choose to put that map in the pool over most things, tbh.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

Bengal is great, and it would be great if Thar Desert was replaced by Bengal but I guess it's too late.
Howdah

Post by Darwin_ »

Yeah bengal is one of my favorites too. There's really no reason to include thar but many (imo) not to include it.
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

Thar is one of the best maps and since it spawns symmetrical its nearly always fair.
mad cuz bad
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

haha donald_shitmeu33 getting milked on shit desert
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

Thar Desert is a great map and you're just a hater and I cba right not to make all the arguments for why it's good for the 50th time. People just want boring standard res.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

Mitoe wrote:Thar Desert is a great map and you're just a hater and I cba right not to make all the arguments for why it's good for the 50th time. People just want boring standard res.

I'm not sure why you get mad every time someone says he dislikes an "unstandard map". Probably half of the community (if not more), strongly dislikes these maps, we have the right to disagree you know.
I gave up on that but I still think that some maps are bad by design or because they're unbalanced.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

Trees are a probs bit too far, but hunts and mines are totally mirrored iirc (@Rikikipu can you confirm) so that's fine. It's really low res and no tp, so it makes only a few civs viable, but that's the case with every non standard map. I like the map
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

[Armag] diarouga wrote:
Mitoe wrote:Thar Desert is a great map and you're just a hater and I cba right not to make all the arguments for why it's good for the 50th time. People just want boring standard res.

I'm not sure why you get mad every time someone says he dislikes an "unstandard map". Probably half of the community (if not more), strongly dislikes these maps, we have the right to disagree you know.
I gave up on that but I still think that some maps are bad by design or because they're unbalanced.

My post came across more abrasive than I had intended; I was on the phone at the same time so I was distracted and didn't really think too much about what I was writing.

Thar Desert is my favourite map, and I think it gets a lot of undeserved hate. There's actually more hunts and more gold on that map than 90% of ESOC maps, and just because it's not always inside your base doesn't make it a bad map. You have to build outside of your base a little bit on Thar, or else forward base, and that's fine. It's unique. And even though you have to leave your base very early it's not easy to control your opponent's access to resources most of the time because you can't place your forward base in the direct middle of the map on top of it being very open so that you can pretty much walk in any direction from your base and find resources.

Maps like Arkansas (which I hate playing on, by the way, most boring map ever), Hudson Bay, Adirondacks, Bengal, etc. are much more linear, and you can only expand in one direction: towards your opponent. This doesn't lead to very healthy gameplay, IMO, and that's why you always get really boring on-sided games on those maps.

On Thar I feel like the games are always pretty dynamic. Unstandard, for sure, but they don't just end. That's why I think the map is actually quite well designed: because even though it favours aggression and map control, it's also very difficult to actually control it, and the vast numbers of resources actually drag the game out a lot longer than normal.

It can have a bad spawn maybe 1 in 5 or 1 in 10 times, but pretty much every map does. The majority of the time the hunts and mines in base (or in this case, near your base) are mostly symmetrical, and while trees can be a bit far, I think it's not really an issue because you have to build slightly outside of your base to defend your resources already anyway.
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

funny you kids talking shit about Mitoe
mad cuz bad