how would you rank the top 10 aoe3 players of all time

France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Re: how would you rank the top 10 aoe3 players of all time

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

Mitoe wrote:
Veni_Vidi_Vici_W wrote:I just want to emphasize a very important point that GS made. Skill and knowledge are two very different things and are relative.

For Diarouga knowledge IS skill in AoE3. He's made it very clear many times on this forum that he thinks mechanics are basically meaningless.

Not exactly.
I think that strategy is more important than mechanics but knowledge and strategy aren't the same.

Knowledge is included in strategy but reacting and innovating are also a very important part of strategy.
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

If strategy were more important than mechanics and APM then anyone I coached would be easily major+. Sadly, this is not so: they simply cannot keep up with everything they need to do or think about, or do things as efficiently or effectively as required.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

poor callen
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

Mitoe wrote:If strategy were more important than mechanics and APM then anyone I coached would be easily major+; but sadly, it is not so.

As I said, strategy is more than just learning a build order lol.
I remember I played the China vs Brit MU vs Callen 2 years ago and I first won 3-0, then I told him exactly what to do (VC FF) and I lost the next game because the strat just better.

Same goes for the game I lost vs bwinner. He didn't play better mechanically (although I might have outplayed him if I practiced more), but he got a huge advantage because of superior strategy, and it snowballed.
Canada Mitoe

Post by Mitoe »

[Armag] diarouga wrote:
Mitoe wrote:If strategy were more important than mechanics and APM then anyone I coached would be easily major+; but sadly, it is not so.

I remember I played the China vs Brit MU vs Callen 2 years ago and I first won 3-0, then I told him exactly what to do (VC FF) and I lost the next game because the strat just better.

Same goes for the game I lost vs bwinner. He didn't play better mechanically (although I might have outplayed him if I practiced more), but he got a huge advantage because of superior strategy, and it snowballed.

Callen isn't bad mechanically. He's not major/lt colonel because he's got poor strategy or poor mechanics; he just needs to not troll as much and have some more confidence and he'd probably reach colonel.

I don't necessarily agree with the bwinner game. I don't think his strategy was really better than what you did--the problem is more that Ottomans are just poorly designed. It's very difficult to be proactive against them because of how fast they are and how overwhelming their military is in the first 5 - 8 minutes of the game. True, though, you kinda played into his hands by playing equally passive yourself.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

Yeah callen is basically colonel tbh, he just needs to not delete stuff and quit that easily, and do serious builds
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
United States of America Cometk
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

this is now an uplifting callen appreciation thread. all off-topic posts will be deleted
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Since this game isn't that mechanically challenging, most of the difference is made in decision making I think. Maybe less so in a mirror meta, but with the current civ rules I don't think mechanics win tournaments. Lack thereof will certainly lose tournaments though :P

Edit: Callen is great
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player

Post by Kaiserklein »

I still think someone with perfect mechanics would win any fight regardless of the unit composition/build order, just cause with perfect macro you get more out, and with perfect micro the split fire etc would be absolutely insane. But for us, yeah strats matter a lot

edit: Callen is not French, which is a good thing
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Canada Mitoe

Post by Mitoe »

Goodspeed wrote:Since this game isn't that mechanically challenging, most of the difference is made in decision making I think. Maybe less so in a mirror meta, but with the current civ rules I don't think mechanics win tournaments. Lack thereof will certainly lose tournaments though :P

Mechanics/APM open up more options which is huge. Decision making is important of course but if you've got poor macro or sloppy execution then it doesn't matter whether you knew what the correct choice was because you will miss out on that opportunity.

I think in a low-lag or lag-free environment there's a lot more room for micro to matter in AoE3 than people give it credit for--though I will grant that it is still less than a game like StarCraft.

Edit: Callen is a talented poet.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

I'm not saying mechanics aren't important. I'm saying that's not usually where the difference is made on a top level, because at that level everyone has it down to enough of an extent that it doesn't win games as much as superior decision making and a better game plan.

Callen is a good person and tragically underrates himself.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

Yea I agree with GS. You need to have a good macro but it's not that hard. Then strategy makes the difference.

edit: Callen should resign less.
United States of America XeeleeFlower
Retired Contributor
Xeelee Patron

Post by XeeleeFlower »

Callen is a beautiful old soul.

/thread
Time is wise and our wounds seem to heal to the rhythm of aging,
But our past is a ghost fading out that at night it’s still haunting.

http://www.galactanet.com/oneoff/theegg_mod.html
Armenia Sargsyan
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: lamergamer
Clan: c0ns

Post by Sargsyan »

Callen Collon ?
krichk wrote:For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge Challenger_Marco
France bwinner
Howdah
Donator 01
ESO: bwinner

Post by bwinner »

Mitoe wrote:
[Armag] diarouga wrote:

Callen isn't bad mechanically. He's not major/lt colonel because he's got poor strategy or poor mechanics; he just needs to not troll as much and have some more confidence and he'd probably reach colonel.

I don't necessarily agree with the bwinner game. I don't think his strategy was really better than what you did--the problem is more that Ottomans are just poorly designed. It's very difficult to be proactive against them because of how fast they are and how overwhelming their military is in the first 5 - 8 minutes of the game. True, though, you kinda played into his hands by playing equally passive yourself.

Diarouga made obvious misstakes in his strat this game :
He was confused with wood age up because he knows I usually tower ff in this match->he made an early rax for producing no unit and was very late in age 3 without defending his TP.
Then I believe he should have sent a little group of goons raiding all game cuz I had nothing to catch them. He was probably waiting for mams but I never sent them.
Then he still had an opportunity but made culv/falc instead of cuirs. I guess it's because he is not used to 20 range abus who destroy artillery.

Edit : Callen est mon cherie.
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

Mitoe wrote:If strategy were more important than mechanics and APM then anyone I coached would be easily major+. Sadly, this is not so: they simply cannot keep up with everything they need to do or think about, or do things as efficiently or effectively as required.

But what about someone like Boneng?

Edit: Callen is an ingenious mathematician.
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
India Shikari
Dragoon
ESO: rahuru

Post by Shikari »

Mechanics are superior. Proof ai beats star craft 2 players ez using apparently not so good unit. With a single unit composition basically. With pure insane micro.
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

Strategy is way more important than mechanics in aoe3
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

Shikari wrote:Mechanics are superior. Proof ai beats star craft 2 players ez using apparently not so good unit. With a single unit composition basically. With pure insane micro.

Well it is sc2, and in sc2 mechanics are more important than strategy.
This is just irrelevant in aoe3.
Germany lordraphael
Pro Player
EWTNWC LAN SilverAdvanced Division WinnerDonator 01

Post by lordraphael »

[Armag] diarouga wrote:
Shikari wrote:Mechanics are superior. Proof ai beats star craft 2 players ez using apparently not so good unit. With a single unit composition basically. With pure insane micro.

only partly true. If you look at sc2 pros at the highest level strategy/ tactics is probably still the defining factor, becasue every top sc2 player has great mechanics.however at lower level mechanics are certainly the defining factor, pretty sure you can have garbage strategys if your mechanics are top and you have at least a rough understanding of the game you can come very far.
breeze wrote: they cant even guess how much f***ing piece of stupid retarded they look they are trying to give lesson to people who are over pr35 and know the best mu. im pretty sure that we need a page that only pr30+ post and then we could have a nice discussins.
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

Fancy getting smashed in sc2 rapha?
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

lordraphael wrote:
[Armag] diarouga wrote:

only partly true. If you look at sc2 pros at the highest level strategy/ tactics is probably still the defining factor, becasue every top sc2 player has great mechanics.however at lower level mechanics are certainly the defining factor, pretty sure you can have garbage strategys if your mechanics are top and you have at least a rough understanding of the game you can come very far.

It's true that strategy makes the difference between the top GM, but with just god like mechanics you would be top GM.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

You can't just make a blanket statement like "at the highest level strategy is the most important" or " at the highest level mechanics are the most important". It just depends on the player. While they all have a crazy high baseline level of both, some players really excel in strats and others in mechanics, it just depends on the specific player.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player

Post by Kaiserklein »

Well you can say mechanics are more important at perfect level, just because it's impossible to scout perfectly in this game, which means strats are gonna end up being rock paper scissor anyway.
At our imperfect level though, yeah, both are important, as well as adaptation.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

gibson wrote:You can't just make a blanket statement like "at the highest level strategy is the most important" or " at the highest level mechanics are the most important". It just depends on the player. While they all have a crazy high baseline level of both, some players really excel in strats and others in mechanics, it just depends on the specific player.

My point is that in sc2, below GM, the games are almost always going to be decided on mechanics (strategy is important too, but being a strategy god doesn't matter if you die to a ling rush because you can't micro or if you have no units because you stack 2000 minerals in bank), while at GM level, although some games are decided on micro, strategy is way more important.