how would you rank the top 10 aoe3 players of all time

Hungary Dsy
Lancer

Re: how would you rank the top 10 aoe3 players of all time

Post by Dsy »

The nice thing about self learning AI that you cant know what outcome it brings to the table. So you cant know if its beating the best players by micro or macro. Only 1 thing is sure: At one point it cant be beaten by humans.
For saving humanity, we need to introduce more RNG into the games so some times We can also win. I advice you increasing the amount and variety of the random creates for this reason!
No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Post by tedere12 »

Hazza54321 wrote:Strategy is way more important than mechanics in aoe3

micro is more important. Most high level players have decent micro/unit control tho so the effect of micro on sucess tends to be underplayed. When I got to play vs h2o on qs I realised that. He did his howdah build and even though I knew it was coming and countered him, I got outmicroed to oblivion and lost every game.
Turkey HUMMAN
Lancer
ESO: HUMMAN

Post by HUMMAN »

few aoe pros have good strategy and bad mechanics. In fact most matchs are determined by simple mistakes, such as losing vills to raid, bad army micro etc. Most of the players do standart builds anyway.
United States of America _H2O
ESOC Business Team
Donator 06
ESO: _H2O

Post by _H2O »

tedere12 wrote:

micro is more important. Most high level players have decent micro/unit control tho so the effect of micro on sucess tends to be underplayed. When I got to play vs h2o on qs I realised that. He did his howdah build and even though I knew it was coming and countered him, I got outmicroed to oblivion and lost every game.

HowdahBoutThat! Micro matters a ton. The howdahBoutThat games make a pretty powerful statement about that point. I was tracking my value in vil seconds from those games. Vs lots of high PR players I was getting 20:1 or 30:1 villager second advantages from just micro.

I see four key elements to gameplay.
Micro - unit control in fights
Macro - spending resources
Strategy - your build order
Tactics - in game decision you make. Which fights do you take? where are your units? This one is where micro and strategy meet.

These elements are all critical and work together. If your micro sucks you will make different tactical choices. These choices change how intimidating you are and how often you can win or make come backs. One persons window of opportunity is another persons fight to run from.

A lot of times too players talk past each other between “strategy” and “micro”. It’s too simple to isolate them.
European Union Scroogie
Lancer
ESO: Scroogie
GameRanger ID: 10056919

Post by Scroogie »

_H2O wrote:
tedere12 wrote:

HowdahBoutThat! Micro matters a ton. The howdahBoutThat games make a pretty powerful statement about that point. I was tracking my value in vil seconds from those games. Vs lots of high PR players I was getting 20:1 or 30:1 villager second advantages from just micro.

What do you mean by vill second advantages "20:1" that you got (how do you get a 20:1 vill second advantage?) and how do you track that? Would be interested in that to track my own improvement. :D
Me being slightly ahead vs H2O: Image
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

How come we don't have matty1248 on any list, he is the best deccan player of all time. Period.
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
United States of America _H2O
ESOC Business Team
Donator 06
ESO: _H2O

Post by _H2O »

Scroogie wrote:
_H2O wrote:
Show hidden quotes

What do you mean by vill second advantages "20:1" that you got (how do you get a 20:1 vill second advantage?) and how do you track that? Would be interested in that to track my own improvement. :D

After a game you can use age community to get the unit kill stats. Do some math on the resources in units you lost vs their loses.
European Union Scroogie
Lancer
ESO: Scroogie
GameRanger ID: 10056919

Post by Scroogie »

_H2O wrote:
Scroogie wrote:
Show hidden quotes

After a game you can use age community to get the unit kill stats. Do some math on the resources in units you lost vs their loses.

Great thank you!
Me being slightly ahead vs H2O: Image
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Post by zoom »

1. Samwise12
2. Garja
3. Samwise12
4. iamGOAT
5. Samwise12
Netherlands blackwidow
Dragoon
ESO: MASTERdutch

Post by blackwidow »

lordraphael wrote:
[Armag] diarouga wrote:Well it is sc2, and in sc2 mechanics are more important than strategy.
This is just irrelevant in aoe3.

only partly true. If you look at sc2 pros at the highest level strategy/ tactics is probably still the defining factor, becasue every top sc2 player has great mechanics.however at lower level mechanics are certainly the defining factor, pretty sure you can have garbage strategys if your mechanics are top and you have at least a rough understanding of the game you can come very far.

Just here to point out that even though its not a huge difference at top lvl, there are people relying heavily on their mechanical skill and it works. (all of eu terrans, lots of eu zergs, soO, Zest, bunny..)

But in the end its hard to say what makes the difference. You can see clear differences in both mechanical and strategic skill in the best players. Also the two both go hand in hand with decision making, which then links them all together. So one can make the other seem more impactful when its not necessarily the case.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Dsy wrote:The nice thing about self learning AI that you cant know what outcome it brings to the table. So you cant know if its beating the best players by micro or macro. Only 1 thing is sure: At one point it cant be beaten by humans.
For saving humanity, we need to introduce more RNG into the games so some times We can also win. I advice you increasing the amount and variety of the random creates for this reason!
Why wouldn't we be able to tell? In the AlphaStar games, we definitely could. It won by micro.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

Yea, AlphaStar was really bad strategically. Its macro was perfect of course, but since the best players' macro is great it doesn't make a huge difference, its insane micro however, was just game changing.
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

Well iirc that was only after 10 days of training, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a strategy god after 200 days of training.
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

ovi12 wrote:Well iirc that was only after 10 days of training, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a strategy god after 200 days of training.

Nah, it was more like months of training.
Also the AI had unrealistic APM and used a hack (the equivalent of zoom hack). It lost to a 2nd tier GM after the hack was removed.
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

None of you retards compare to fuking lukas_l99
United States of America GiBthedurrty
Lancer
Donator 01
Clan: YumiW

Post by GiBthedurrty »

k
Sweden tabben
Lancer
EWTNWC LAN Bronze
ESO: tabben

Post by tabben »

GiBthedurrty wrote:k

K
Suriname kaister
Lancer
ECL Reigning Champs
ESO: I Date My Cousin

Post by kaister »

tabben wrote:

K

k
Austria Jerimuno
Advanced Player
ESO: Jerimuno
GameRanger ID: 9241516

Post by Jerimuno »

kaister wrote:
tabben wrote:

K

k

K
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

Jerimuno wrote:
kaister wrote:
Show hidden quotes

k

K

k
United States of America GiBthedurrty
Lancer
Donator 01
Clan: YumiW

Post by GiBthedurrty »

ktraln xD
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

Jerimuno wrote:
kaister wrote:
Show hidden quotes

k

K

k
Armenia Sargsyan
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: lamergamer
Clan: c0ns

Post by Sargsyan »

[Armag] diarouga wrote:
Jerimuno wrote:
Show hidden quotes

K

k

Potassium
krichk wrote:For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge Challenger_Marco
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

[Armag] diarouga wrote:
ovi12 wrote:Well iirc that was only after 10 days of training, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a strategy god after 200 days of training.

Also the AI had unrealistic APM and used a hack (the equivalent of zoom hack). It lost to a 2nd tier GM after the hack was removed.

I’m pretty sure they said that they were having bad results for months, but only recently they had really cracked the problem, and since then, it had only 10 days to train. I know about the zoom hack and apm, but if the 10 day thing is true, I think it’ll likely become a strategy god and be able to beat people without zoom hack and such. That’s just speculation from me, I guess well have to wait and see.
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

ovi12 wrote:
[Armag] diarouga wrote:

I’m pretty sure they said that they were having bad results for months, but only recently they had really cracked the problem, and since then, it had only 10 days to train. I know about the zoom hack and apm, but if the 10 day thing is true, I think it’ll likely become a strategy god and be able to beat people without zoom hack and such. That’s just speculation from me, I guess well have to wait and see.

I don't know. In term of options, Starcraft is much much more complicated than chess and go, thus the computers really can't "solve" the game. Also the computer was like really bad strategically, not even master level, and the difference between a low master and a top GM is huge.