how would you rank the top 10 aoe3 players of all time

Holy See Imperial Noob
Lancer

Re: how would you rank the top 10 aoe3 players of all time

Post by Imperial Noob »

I have a serious request: could someone knowledgeable cast / recast one or two of the recs with the old pros for the ESOC channel? Sort of a feature episode, describing what the game was like back then, what was it that they were doing, why was that good, or just show some insane mechanics.
@Mitoe maybe? or @Kaiserklein :flowers:
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

Imperial Noob wrote:I have a serious request: could someone knowledgeable cast / recast one or two of the recs with the old pros for the ESOC channel? Sort of a feature episode, describing what the game was like back then, what was it that they were doing, why was that good, or just show some insane mechanics.

About a year ago I was thinking about doing a mini-documentary on AoE3 WCG 2007 & 2008; still have a lot of the stuff I was going to use (clips and recs mostly) saved somewhere. Sadly laziness and the unwillingness to invest money & time into figuring out how to use some solid video editing software have kinda killed the idea, though (remember a certain German guide anyone?).
Armenia Sargsyan
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: lamergamer
Clan: c0ns

Post by Sargsyan »

No need to buy software, just download vegas pro 14 repack
krichk wrote:For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge Challenger_Marco
Canada Mitoe

Post by Mitoe »

2lazy2learn
Armenia Sargsyan
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: lamergamer
Clan: c0ns

Post by Sargsyan »

Its ez af
krichk wrote:For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge Challenger_Marco
Malaysia Aizamk
Pro Player
ESOC WarChiefs Classic 2017

Post by Aizamk »

Imperial Noob wrote:I have a serious request: could someone knowledgeable cast / recast one or two of the recs with the old pros for the ESOC channel? Sort of a feature episode, describing what the game was like back then, what was it that they were doing, why was that good, or just show some insane mechanics.

This would honestly be quite interesting. It’s actually quite difficult to judge a player’s mechanics without a first person view. And after you get a first person view it then becomes incredibly easy to criticize their mechanics.

So it would be nice to have some commentated examples of the mechanics that made a player stand out in the earlier days (back when at my level I’d be nothing more than a captain).
oranges.
Great Britain samwise12
Pro Player
Summer 2015 winner
ESO: Samwise12

Post by samwise12 »

This question is nearly impossible to answer, as there are so many factors to consider when trying to compare players that played 10 years apart. One thing for sure is Grunt and Mankle are #1 and #2.

Grunt in his prime was on another level, i hadn't hit my peak level when i played against him but i will never forget the feeling i had when playing vs him, it felt like he could pick any civ and do any strat and he would still find a way to outplay you, it was insanely frustrating but also amazing to play against him. Mankle was very similar during his training for WCG 2008, this was when i had just joined skwzz and i was helping the likes of Ourk, Parfait, Luigi and NP train for WCG (UK didnt send a player so i never even got the chance to try and qualify which was annoying, as i think i could've done well). I would win the majority of games vs them (this was still before i would say i was at my best) apart from games vs NP which would be 50/50 but this was mainly down to the fact that he was too stubborn to play jap mirrors and insisted on trying to make Brit work even though they were so clearly the inferior civ. Anyway... as i was an up and coming player during this time i played many games vs all the top players. Mankle gave me the same feeling that Grunt had given me in the past, the feeling of utter hopelessness and just waiting to inevitably lose. His macro and micro was just far crisper than the other players.

Then you have the time in which me and mankel dominated for a good few years, the only other player that i can think of during that time who would truly challenge either of us was Challe, but imo he didn't stay active for long enough periods of time to quite reach our level. Flooky was still near the top of the PR ladder at this time but there was a huge skill gap between me/mankle and him, its just that there was also a big skill gap between Flooky and the majority of ESO so he could still maintain a high rating.

Jump ahead to around 2014/15 when i made a short comeback, Ryan and BSOP were the top players, I can tell you for certain that the level of top players was not comparable to the old top players. Of course the meta evolves over time and builds become far more refined, but the biggest difference i noticed is the ability to adapt and micro was worse. This being said i do believe BSOP was very good, its just hard to gauge just how good. Obviously me and ryan were playing at a lower level in 2015 than we were in 2008- 2011/12?(well I can't speak for Ryan but i know my skill level was much lower than it was in the past) main reasons for this is... long periods of inactivity, massive meta shifts, 5 years is a long time in gamer years; my APM, reactions and decision making were not what they used to be.

As for the Japanese players, some of them were for sure very good (the only one i dont really have a memory of playing against is Nagi), but i dont know if i would rate any of them in the all time top 10. So many memories... and obviously there were many good players from each era that i played in, it's just so hard to compare them as the meta was always so different and it's hard to tell how certain players wouldve adapted or if it wouldve suited their playstyle.

One thing i can tell you for sure is over all of my years is.... GoodSpeed is the biggest dodger ive ever met.
Malaysia Aizamk
Pro Player
ESOC WarChiefs Classic 2017

Post by Aizamk »

samwise12 wrote:One thing i can tell u for sure is over all of my years is.... GoodSpeed is the biggest dodger ive ever met.

@WickedCossack looks like he hasn't met you
oranges.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

The definition of hypocrisy is Samwise12 calling other people dodgers. Kid dodged more games than he played.
@samwise12 Come play?
Great Britain samwise12
Pro Player
Summer 2015 winner
ESO: Samwise12

Post by samwise12 »

maybe
Canada Mitoe

Post by Mitoe »

Aizamk wrote:So it would be nice to have some commentated examples of the mechanics that made a player stand out in the earlier days (back when at my level I’d be nothing more than a captain).

We'd obviously both be nothing but captains back in the day anyway
China wookl
Skirmisher
ESO: wookl

Post by wookl »

2010——2019
1._H2O
2.BlackStar_OP
3.LordRaphael
4.nagayumi
5.IrishFaithful
6.Snowww
7.Samwise12
8.goongoon
9.kynesie
10.Boneng

TOP3 keep high level many years,other players get the list in highlight time .
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

I feel like lot of the names in these lists are not at all on comparable level.
Image Image Image
Finland princeofkabul
Pro Player
NWC LAN Top 8EPL Reigning Champs
ESO: Princeofkabul

Post by princeofkabul »

i dont understand why people keep putting boneng to their lists when there's like 10 more deserving to be there. guess that pk win does that, who knows.
Chairman of Washed Up clan
Leader of the Shady Swedes
Team Manager of the Blockhouse Boomers
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

Yea, people just judge from tournament results.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Well tournament results should be the most important metric when measuring how good someone is.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

gibson wrote:Well tournament results should be the most important metric when measuring how good someone is.

Not really.
You claimed above that I didn't deserve to be in the top 10 because I didn't win any major event, but if you look at it closely, the last big ESOC tourney I played in was the 2015 Winter tournament, where I was still quite far from my peak level and where I lost 1-4 to _H2O who then beat raphael 5-0.
Of course I am not in the top 10 aoe3 tournament players of all time, but you can't measure how good I am from tournament results.
Great Britain WickedCossack
Retired Contributor

Post by WickedCossack »

Aizamk wrote:
samwise12 wrote:One thing i can tell u for sure is over all of my years is.... GoodSpeed is the biggest dodger ive ever met.

@WickedCossack looks like he hasn't met you

That's the true mark of a good dodger. ;)
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

[Armag] diarouga wrote:
gibson wrote:Well tournament results should be the most important metric when measuring how good someone is.

Not really.
You claimed above that I didn't deserve to be in the top 10 because I didn't win any major event, but if you look at it closely, the last big ESOC tourney I played in was the 2015 Winter tournament, where I was still quite far from my peak level and where I lost 1-4 to _H2O who then beat raphael 5-0.
Of course I am not in the top 10 aoe3 tournament players of all time, but you can't measure how good I am from tournament results.
What point are you trying to make? You can be a pugger and win qs and unrated 1v1s all day but ultimately if you don't have tournament results when a discussion comes up about the best players to play the game you(not you specifically) don't deserve to even be mentioned.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

gibson wrote:
[Armag] diarouga wrote:

Not really.
What point are you trying to make? You can be a pugger and win qs and unrated 1v1s all day but ultimately if you don't have tournament results when a discussion comes up about the best players to play the game you(not you specifically) don't deserve to even be mentioned.

Well, if that's about aoe3 achievements then yes.

Still, if a guy doesn't play in tournaments but has a 90% win rate against the guy who won the tournaments (I'm not saying this is my case), then he's the best player.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Diarouga is Paul Morphy, guys.
France bwinner
Howdah
Donator 01
ESO: bwinner

Post by bwinner »

gibson wrote:
[Armag] diarouga wrote:

Not really.

diarouga is the only player that makes me feel the same like what samwise has described for grunt and H2O. When I green up a game vs him, I already know I will lose 100%. I am obviously much lower than other top players as well, but when I play vs kaiser, mitoe or raphael, I know that if I play at my very best lvl (like could happend 1 time out of 20 games) I might very well win, while vs diarouga I will always get rekt no matter what. I have only played like 2-3 games vs H20/bsop so maybe it would be the same vs them. I anyway remind that in 2016 diarouga was shitting on everyone including H2O.
India gh0st
Lancer
ESO: gh0st007

Post by gh0st »

hmm, seems like bwinner is a much better player than I thought.
Brazil t3rror1sta
Dragoon
ESO: Knight_br

Post by t3rror1sta »

h20
bsop
kynesie
Aizamk
Samwise12
NYKNICKS
takuman
Lordraphael
Ourk
Iamgrunt
Canada Mitoe

Post by Mitoe »

bwinner1 wrote:
gibson wrote:
Show hidden quotes

diarouga is the only player that makes me feel the same like what samwise has described for grunt and H2O. When I green up a game vs him, I already know I will lose 100%. I am obviously much lower than other top players as well, but when I play vs kaiser, mitoe or raphael, I know that if I play at my very best lvl (like could happend 1 time out of 20 games) I might very well win, while vs diarouga I will always get rekt no matter what. I have only played like 2-3 games vs H20/bsop so maybe it would be the same vs them. I anyway remind that in 2016 diarouga was shitting on everyone including H2O.

BO101 let's go? :P