Lag in tournament games - Casters

Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor
ECL Reigning ChampsDonator 01
ESO: Riotcoke
Clan: UwU

Lag in tournament games - Casters

Post by Riotcoke »

There's been a large amount of discussion recently revolving around lag in the New World Championship, with Tit vs Garja ending up in a forfeit due to the 'unplayable lag', today's game, turk vs tit, also saw a decent amount of lag that arguably lost turk the india mirror due to his inability to micro. Both games were played by two European players with casters from the United States, with garja vs tit being casted by ComteK and Tit vs Turk being casted by Gibson and Dark Sultan. With the lag creating problems at such a late stage in a large tournament it doesn't seem to right to jeopardize the fairness of the game due to the lag created by a caster, especially when having a caster from a different Continent can add up to 200ms of ping to the game.

It would be nice to see higher level player's opinions on limiting casting to be inclusive of the region that the game is played in, i.e EU games with an EU caster.

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
No Flag Djigit
Howdah

Re: Lag in tournament games - Casters

Post by Djigit »

I highly doubt gibson has anything to do with thish. It's still a legit question.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Riotcoke wrote:There's been a large amount of discussion recently revolving around lag in the New World Championship, with Tit vs Garja ending up in a forfeit due to the 'unplayable lag', today's game, turk vs tit, also saw a decent amount of lag that arguably lost turk the india mirror due to his inability to micro. Both games were played by two European players with casters from the United States, with garja vs tit being casted by ComteK and Tit vs Turk being casted by Gibson and Dark Sultan. With the lag creating problems at such a late stage in a large tournament it doesn't seem to right to jeopardize the fairness of the game due to the lag created by a caster, especially when having a caster from a different Continent can add up to 200ms of ping to the game.

It would be nice to see higher level player's opinions on limiting casting to be inclusive of the region that the game is played in, i.e EU games with an EU caster.
It's interesting how you come to that conclusion when the only common variable is Tit. It's also funny that it literally only lagged during fights, which means in fact that it wasnt connection lag but pc lag. Heres my connection to paris btw. 100 ping in aoe is basically lag free.
Attachments
lag.PNG
France Aykin Haraka
Howdah
EWT
ESO: aykin

Post by Aykin Haraka »

"also saw a decent amount of lag that arguably lost turk the india mirror due to his inability to micro"

Excuse me ? just shut up now.

you saw nothing on stream, only players feel it
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Aykin Haraka wrote:"also saw a decent amount of lag that arguably lost turk the india mirror due to his inability to micro"

Excuse me ? just shut up now.
Lol every single mid game fight you got better trades than you should of because of lag. It was painfully obvious.
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor

Post by Riotcoke »

gibson wrote:
Riotcoke wrote:There's been a large amount of discussion recently revolving around lag in the New World Championship, with Tit vs Garja ending up in a forfeit due to the 'unplayable lag', today's game, turk vs tit, also saw a decent amount of lag that arguably lost turk the india mirror due to his inability to micro. Both games were played by two European players with casters from the United States, with garja vs tit being casted by ComteK and Tit vs Turk being casted by Gibson and Dark Sultan. With the lag creating problems at such a late stage in a large tournament it doesn't seem to right to jeopardize the fairness of the game due to the lag created by a caster, especially when having a caster from a different Continent can add up to 200ms of ping to the game.

It's interesting how you come to that conclusion when the only common variable is Tit. It's also funny that it literally only lagged during fights, which means in fact that it wasnt connection lag but pc lag. Heres my connection to paris btw. 100 ping in aoe is basically lag free.

Maybe i should have rephrased what i said, i didn't meant to personally say it was either ComteK or yourself that created the lag, just that it seems to make sense to have European casters for European games. Also i didn't think about the lag being directly from Tit, although it seems like, from the posts on the tit vs garja thread, that tit generally doesn't lag that much on ladder.

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Riotcoke wrote:
gibson wrote:

Maybe i should have rephrased what i said, i didn't meant to personally say it was either ComteK or yourself that created the lag, just that it seems to make sense to have European casters for European games. Also i didn't think about the lag being directly from Tit, although it seems like, from the posts on the tit vs garja thread, that tit generally doesn't lag that much on ladder.
Why does it matter since I have demonstrable proof that I don't lag with European players?
France Aykin Haraka
Howdah
EWT

Post by Aykin Haraka »

what do you even know about this game, casted by a pr20 is painfull, i watched the stream after games, you can't even cast properly
wiches trades xD, you are not even able to say yes or no, this gonna be a good trade for X battle
France Aykin Haraka
Howdah
EWT

Post by Aykin Haraka »

Riotcoke wrote:
gibson wrote:

oh, ok, nevermind then
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor

Post by Riotcoke »

gibson wrote:
Riotcoke wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Why does it matter since I have demonstrable proof that I don't lag with European players?

The question i'm asking anyway is that, at such a late stage in the tournament, is it worth creating extra lag at all that necessary is fair, rather than pointing blame at either of the US casters for the lag in the two games that i mentioned.

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
France Aykin Haraka
Howdah
EWT

Post by Aykin Haraka »

and btw, I still don't like beeing casted by non european people
France Aykin Haraka
Howdah
EWT

Post by Aykin Haraka »

and again, about PC and connexion, I've already say all about this, even Garja said my PC isn't a problem for the lag, and it will never be

but still, people saw on stream an 0.1sec delay they all yell "omg lag", such a cancer community
nothing new

I encourage people like interjection, aizamk, cometk .. all those people trying to get a good community, a good website, but I mean, there are so few people that are nice, and just all other trying to be nice are ridiculous
they don't even know you, and they just insult you, drop some "xd lag" or smt like that whereas they are not even playing, they are just watching. Sit down watch and shut up I mean
Sweden tabben
Lancer
EWTNWC LAN Bronze
ESO: tabben

Post by tabben »

Neither players nor casters should run aoe3 on high graphics. It may be fine during the beginning of a game but later cause heavy pc lag, especially during fights involving many units. Judging from stream, EscapeAoe seems to be running a bit too detailed graphics. Some players are known for playing with unecessarily high graphics.
You'd think today's computers should easily be able to max out graphics on an old game like aoe3, but old game also means it's not perfectly coded in terms of running smoothly.

Also according to Garja: Vsync affects the trading post travois, causing him to move slower and therefore allowing early XP passes that should be unattainable. If this is actually the case, vsync should be turned off for casters/players to not cause a balance issue.
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor

Post by Riotcoke »

tabben wrote:Neither players nor casters should run aoe3 on high graphics. It may be fine during the beginning of a game but later cause heavy pc lag, especially during fights involving many units. Judging from stream, EscapeAoe seems to be running a bit too detailed graphics. Some players are known for playing with unecessarily high graphics.
You'd think today's computers should easily be able to max out graphics on an old game like aoe3, but old game also means it's not perfectly coded in terms of running smoothly.

Also according to Garja: Vsync affects the trading post travois, causing him to move slower and therefore allowing early XP passes that should be unattainable. If this is actually the case, vsync should be turned off for casters/players to not cause a balance issue.

The problem with having V-sync off is that it can cause problems to occur, for example the bug where you lost half your sounds occurs far more often without v-sync on. Surely for that it makes sense for V-sync to be on for all players instead therefore both players know that things like the trade travios moving slower will occur?

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

tabben wrote:Neither players nor casters should run aoe3 on high graphics. It may be fine during the beginning of a game but later cause heavy pc lag, especially during fights involving many units. Judging from stream, EscapeAoe seems to be running a bit too detailed graphics. Some players are known for playing with unecessarily high graphics.

my cpu never went over 40 percent and my gpu never went over 50 percent that series. I also turned vsync off.
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

you say that but a lot of people (myself included) get soundbug shortly after turning vsync off which is arguably more game changing
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Aykin Haraka wrote:what do you even know about this game, casted by a pr20 is painfull, i watched the stream after games, you can't even cast properly
wiches trades xD, you are not even able to say yes or no, this gonna be a good trade for X battle
Its funny how you're attacking me when I'm just stating the facts which I observed.
France Aykin Haraka
Howdah
EWT

Post by Aykin Haraka »

yes I attack you maybe because you are the lag issue ?
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

Anyone who complains about lag is just bad at the game
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
India gh0st
Lancer
ESO: gh0st007

Post by gh0st »

Aykin Haraka wrote:what do you even know about this game, casted by a pr20 is painfull, i watched the stream after games, you can't even cast properly

Woah, No need to get personal here mate!
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

Your ping to Paris being 100+ ms is definitely not lag free when you consider that the game could potentially be under 30 - 50ms if all players are on the same continent. And I think I guarantee your ping is much higher to iamturk than it would be to Tit.

I think there's probably a bit of a difference between how players from NA and EU are "used" to lag. 100ms might not seem like a lot for us NA players, when we're constantly playing with people from other continents, or even just someone else on the other side of NA, but if EU players are mostly only playing with EU players they're going to be used to significantly lower latency--possibly even as low as 10-20ms if they're in the same country.

This is why I usually drop out of games to screenshare when I'm casting and in general try to avoid being the one streaming the game.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Aykin Haraka wrote:yes I attack you maybe because you are the lag issue ?
I'm not the lag issue? That's already been proven unless youre trying to say that 100 ping creates that lag in aoe or that my comp(7700k and 1080ti) is causing lag. I have 0 history of lagging in any setting. I casted garja vs raikou at the start of the tournament and neither player complained about lag and there was no visible lag. You on the other hand lag every single tournament.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Mitoe wrote:Your ping to Paris being 100+ ms is definitely not lag free when you consider that the game could potentially be under 30 - 50ms if all players are on the same continent. And I think I guarantee your ping is much higher to iamturk than it would be to Tit.

I think there's probably a bit of a difference between how players from NA and EU are "used" to lag. 100ms might not seem like a lot for us NA players, when we're constantly playing with people from other continents, or even just someone else on the other side of NA, but if EU players are mostly only playing with EU players they're going to be used to significantly lower latency--possibly even as low as 10-20ms if they're in the same country.

This is why I usually drop out of games to screenshare when I'm casting and in general try to avoid being the one streaming the game.
I never said it was lag free, it's not gonna be lag free. However is it going to cause the huge lag that we saw only during fights in that India game? No. Sorry I should of clarified that. 100 ms ping is going to have a small amount of lag. I just find it funny that I'm the one being accused of lagging
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

I didn't see the games, and probably won't watch them anyway. I'm just adding to the OP's point of there being obviously greater lag between players/casters out of continent than within the same.

Not really trying to accuse you of anything. But I think claiming that 100ms is basically lag free is a bit much.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Also the lag was not consistent, it was only happening during fights. Lag from me would be consistent throughout the entire game. Its not like my ping is gonna get lower. I meant more the type of lag it was was not possible from me.