Microphone?

United States of America giveuanxiety
Advanced Player
Donator 02
ESO: GiveUAnxiety

Microphone?

Post by giveuanxiety »

Hey guys I have a mechanical keyboard and it is always quite load and can be heard while I’m streaming, I was thinking recently about trying to figure out how to get it to not be heard on stream. I also was thinking about buying a better microphone. Like a microphone stand, but if I bought that wouldn’t that just pick up my keyboard sounds a lot?
Lasol wrote: :hmm: just Saw a YouTube video with giveyouanexiaty. He Said check youre stove, if you Want to improve youre aoe3 skills.

WHAT does check your stove means? And how do you do it?
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor
ECL Reigning ChampsDonator 01
ESO: Riotcoke
Clan: UwU

Re: Microphone?

Post by Riotcoke »

It depends entirely what microphone you go for, if you go for something that is unidirectional instead of omnidirectional it should pick up most of it's noise from the front of the microphone. So with a microphone stand the microphone being relatively close to your mouth you shouldn't have a huge problem with clatter from your keyboard.

Another possible way of combating the problem is lowering the sensitivity of your current microphone to a point where it won't pick up your keyboard, or to use Push to Talk.

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
India Shikari
Dragoon
ESO: rahuru

Post by Shikari »

Honestly i dont mind keyboard noise in your video. You are one of the few aoe3 streamer that always talks while playing not to mention face can. That is more than good enough imo.
India Frost Bite
Dragoon
ESO: ContainsCaffeine
GameRanger ID: 3243371

Post by Frost Bite »

@giveuanxiety It is good to have that keyboard noise in your stream, because when you suck and you dont want your viewers to know abt it, you could press some random keys and viewers might think like ."Oh, he's so involved in his game, sounds like a good gamer."
World War 3 is inevitable, Run for your lives, fools
Turkey Gafur
Skirmisher
ESO: Gafur

Post by Gafur »

Theres no way to prevent keyboard sounds if you bought a blue switch keyboard
mentally healthy
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

Keep the noise to show the APM noob
United States of America giveuanxiety
Advanced Player
Donator 02
ESO: GiveUAnxiety

Post by giveuanxiety »

Hah, ya I have always gone back and forth with if I like the keyboard sound or not. Before I bought my keyboard and I saw other streamers I thought it was real cool, and I did like having it myself for a long time. But recently I have been thinking about stepping up my qualify videos for youtube. I know I could get a better mic and that would prob help the vids a lot, but I also been thinking it would be better to get rid of the keyboard sound.
Lasol wrote: :hmm: just Saw a YouTube video with giveyouanexiaty. He Said check youre stove, if you Want to improve youre aoe3 skills.

WHAT does check your stove means? And how do you do it?
India Frost Bite
Dragoon
ESO: ContainsCaffeine
GameRanger ID: 3243371

Post by Frost Bite »

Well.. Now that you have found out the root cause of your problem.. I suggest you to eliminate it
World War 3 is inevitable, Run for your lives, fools
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

If you get a decent mic and put it right next to your mouth and set it to really low gain you wont really hear the keyboard
Armenia Sargsyan
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: lamergamer
Clan: c0ns

Post by Sargsyan »

I personally don't mind keyboard sounds
krichk wrote:For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge Challenger_Marco
Isle of Man UpMySleeves
Dragoon
GameRanger ID: 7309280

Post by UpMySleeves »

I enjoy some keyboard sound in the background. The more annoying thing is when the mic picks up game sounds from speakers, so you get that echoey, shitty sound.
Someone mentioned before, lower the mic sensitivity. I had a similar issue on discord and that fixed it.
Never trust a man in a blue trench coat, never drive a car when you're dead
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

You could get a dynamic mic with a cardioid pickup pattern. And place it on a stand that sits close to where you're speaking.

Just stay away from condenser mics, which tend to have higher sensitivity and pick up a lot more background noise than dynamic mics.
And if you get a dynamic mic with a cardioid pattern, it will tend to ignore background noise. Like this:

Examples of classic dynamic mics with cardioid pattern are: Shure SM57, Shure SM-7B, Sennheiser E835 S, etc.
I really like how the Sennheiser sounds like. Problem is these mics will need an audio interface too, because they have an XLR connector, so you can't connect them directly to your computer, they need something that takes analog audio in and can convert it to digital signal and send it back to your computer.

So if you want to just get a mic that works on a PC with an USB input, you could go for an Audio Technica ATR2100. I know a friend who has it and it sounds OK for the price (about 70 bucks, plug it in the PC, bam, it works). It's not amazing, but USB mics are not optimal for audio quality.

If you want to go the whole hog with an external audio interface, it depends on how much you'd be willing to spend for quality. A basic interface might set you back for 100 bucks and a decent mic for another 100. Add a pop filter and a boom arm, and the whole setup might cost somewhere under 300 bucks.

PS. You can ask me more, I know a fuckton about mics, since I studied a lot of this before I bought mine. I even talked to some sound engineer friend of another friend for some extra advice.
Denmark crjensen4
Dragoon
Donator 07
ESO: crjensen4

Post by crjensen4 »

I use an AT2020 usb mike with a Røde boom arm - and just a standard shock mount. I am extremely pleased with this setup. I use it for instructional videos.

https://imgur.com/yYgfkJu
India Challenger_Marco
ESOC Media Team
ESO: challenger_marco

Post by Challenger_Marco »

I always love to hear the keyboard noise ,it's sort of style in showing off & gives energy to the viewers ,we can hear what you say in stream clearly so don't care about the sound from keyboard @giveuanxiety
:nwc: