Microsoft is putting an Age of Empires survey, make your voice heard!

Germany QueenOfdestiny
Retired Contributor
ESO: QueenOfdestiny

Re: Microsoft is putting an Age of Empires survey, make your voice heard!

Post by QueenOfdestiny »

Done
shit juice :hmm:
United States of America GiBthedurrty
Lancer
Donator 01
Clan: YumiW

Post by GiBthedurrty »

Was in an asdf state of mind. I asdf’d mine.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

That page asking "why do you play" was an interesting bit of self-reflection. I'm kinda wondering how you guys filled that out
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

I wrote a fucking novel in that field.
Too bad I didn't copy the text so I could post the pasta here.
Germany aligator92
Howdah
ESO: aligator92

Post by aligator92 »

Did anyone else have to reload every time to get to the next page?
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

aligator92 wrote:Did anyone else have to reload every time to get to the next page?

Yeah, same for me.... Maybe it is a browser problem.

edit: firefox
Whatever is written above: this is no financial advice.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
United States of America XeeleeFlower
Retired Contributor
Xeelee Patron

Post by XeeleeFlower »

I didn't have to reload.

Using Chrome, btw.
Time is wise and our wounds seem to heal to the rhythm of aging,
But our past is a ghost fading out that at night it’s still haunting.

http://www.galactanet.com/oneoff/theegg_mod.html
Holy See Imperial Noob
Lancer

Post by Imperial Noob »

iCourt wrote: I mean it's a Merc that you paid gold for... What even makes it repentant?

Mercs chilling in a monastery are supposed to be repentant sinners
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

iCourt wrote:I responded with how the game code really needs to be polished and simplified.

An example would be repentant mercs? Why have Asian versions with different modifiers? Clusters the game up... Keep the unit the same and use string text to change the name to repentant... If that's even needed. I mean it's a Merc that you paid gold for... What even makes it repentant?

Less is better in these situations.

it's you! ^_^
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Imperial Noob wrote:AOE4 is in a more advanced stage than you think. Video game productions are a bit like film productions, and they had some "footage" to show the composer in January 2019 already. Since they have recorded likely most of the music by now, they are ca. 5-12 months away from the release.

The heralding of further questions within 90 days for all subscribers also suggests that they are seriously working on it right now.

Yeah, I think it's likely to come out sometimes within the next 2 years, though. Game development is rarely done on schedule. They're always delaying and pushing deadlines further away. And sometimes it's not because the game isn't ready, but because launching it requires some marketing channels preparations.

And well, actually, a game is never ready. There's always something to fix, some things to streamline, some remaining bugs to sort out.
Holy See Imperial Noob
Lancer

Post by Imperial Noob »

Dolan wrote:
Imperial Noob wrote:AOE4 is in a more advanced stage than you think. Video game productions are a bit like film productions, and they had some "footage" to show the composer in January 2019 already. Since they have recorded likely most of the music by now, they are ca. 5-12 months away from the release.

The heralding of further questions within 90 days for all subscribers also suggests that they are seriously working on it right now.

Yeah, I think it's likely to come out sometimes within the next 2 years, though. Game development is rarely done on schedule. They're always delaying and pushing deadlines further away. And sometimes it's not because the game isn't ready, but because launching it requires some marketing channels preparations.

And well, actually, a game is never ready. There's always something to fix, some things to streamline, some remaining bugs to sort out.

True. As far as I'm concerned they may release it in 2022 if it means a better product.
United States of America iCourt
Retired Contributor
ESO: iCourt

Post by iCourt »

Imperial Noob wrote:
iCourt wrote: I mean it's a Merc that you paid gold for... What even makes it repentant?

Mercs chilling in a monastery are supposed to be repentant sinners

Then why is that Merc still making you pay? That asshole ain't repenting shit. Matter of fact you should train him and the animation should be him shaking his head and throwing down his weapon. Meanwhile by clicking the train button your camera should be activated and your reaction should be streamed. :P

Point is the game code has these Merc as a completely different unit. Which means all the code that goes into creating a unit has to be there. Which means your code is literally like 20* as much vs using a simple string text/tech tree. On top of that let's say you change the euro Merc stats. You then have to find the equivalent asain version and do the same otherwise you have different versions of the same unit.

This is why Jaegers have different stats between euro civs and asian civs. But only vs cavalry. And we gonna use the same skin and call it the same unit.

The game code is just as messy as my ranting.
Great Britain Interjection
Howdah
Donator 04
ESO: Interjection

Post by Interjection »

I would encourage everyone to share their thoughts on why AoE3 is a good game :).
Singapore Thrar
Retired Contributor
ESO: Thrar

Post by Thrar »

Interjection wrote:I would encourage everyone to share their thoughts on why AoE3 is a good game :).

From what I recall, I mentioned 3 things in the survey:
  • Pacing: AoE3 pacing is just right to me. Most games are 10-15 minutes and don't drag on with long periods where not much happens (like AoE2 dark age by comparison), and at the same time it's not as lightning fast and unforgiving as e.g. Starcraft.
  • Good balance between strategy, macro, and micro. Again by comparison, AoE2 skews too much towards macro for me (lots of eco management) and Starcraft towards micro, given players with overall similar skill levels.
  • Distinctive civs with major differences in how to play or play against. Civ selection has a big impact on strategy, so there is a lot of variety. Starcraft also does this well in my mind (even more distinctive, but far fewer civs).
Great Britain Interjection
Howdah
Donator 04
ESO: Interjection

Post by Interjection »

Put it in the survey <3
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

When they asked what age game I was currently playing most I answered AoE2, truthfully, and then every question became about that :| Should've seen that coming I guess.
What's interesting given @Thrar's post is that my reasoning for preferring AoE2 is mostly the balance it strikes. Where the difference is most obvious I think is the balance between early and late game. AoE3 isn't fun for me in the later ages. Balance takes a nosedive to the point where people are just trying to abuse broken units, eco management becomes non-existent, and there is no more resource scarcity.

I was going to fill it out again for AoE3 but it turned out to be too long of a survey to do twice :sad:
Germany lordraphael
Pro Player
EWTNWC LAN SilverAdvanced Division WinnerDonator 01

Post by lordraphael »

Goodspeed wrote:When they asked what age game I was currently playing most I answered AoE2, truthfully, and then every question became about that :| Should've seen that coming I guess.
What's interesting given @Thrar's post is that my reasoning for preferring AoE2 is mostly the balance it strikes. Where the difference is most obvious I think is the balance between early and late game. AoE3 isn't fun for me in the later ages. Balance takes a nosedive to the point where people are just trying to abuse broken units, eco management becomes non-existent, and there is no more resource scarcity.

I was going to fill it out again for AoE3 but it turned out to be too long of a survey to do twice :sad:

i think youre a big traitor to the aoe 3 cause. I also said i started with aoe 3 while infact aoe2 was my first game of the franchise. THought youre clever mart :unsure:
breeze wrote: they cant even guess how much f***ing piece of stupid retarded they look they are trying to give lesson to people who are over pr35 and know the best mu. im pretty sure that we need a page that only pr30+ post and then we could have a nice discussins.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

They asked what you're playing now, not what you started with.
But tbh I think for AoE4 they have more to learn from AoE2 than AoE3. :oops:
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Nah, the only reason why AOE2 was more popular was because it came out right when RTS games were still popular with the mainstream public. After RTS games lost ground to COD and shooters, it was basically irrelevant how good your RTS was, if the general public simply wasn't into difficult, complicated games that require an actual brain to play.

So that's why there is such a big audience of nostalgics for AOE2, it's just exposure. Once the public got used to a certain format that was established by AOE2 (medieval times, big maps, slow-paced, rushing is almost non-viable except for some builds used by competitive players because towers are so OP, etc), they found it hard to learn how to play AOE3, which had so many new features and innovations: decks, homecities, shipping points, trade routes, smaller maps, faster pace, new resource-generating buildings (banks, factories), and so on. Not to mention that the cards-unlocking system completely put off most normies from playing AOE3 more than just a few times. Normies are very easily annoyed if they don't like a game's campaigns or single player mode, and those were not really AOE3's best game modes.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Dolan wrote:Nah, the only reason why AOE2 was more popular was because it came out right when RTS games were still popular with the mainstream public.
Teach us more, oh wise impartiolan!
United States of America iCourt
Retired Contributor
ESO: iCourt

Post by iCourt »

"Normies" lol...

Helps that AOE2 is a very solid game to boot. Always felt that game could be refined. Always was weird seeing Aztec and Mayan with champions/crossbows. Maybe just different skins like how they did the priests.

Great game though. The new civs and units in HD look a bit out of place visually, but they play fun.

Aoe3 has some awesome mechanics and gameplay as well. It just has some broken features. A lot of what @Interjection brought up in his post is spot on.

I'm only critical cause I want it to improve. I'm finally at a point in my career I have more free time, so I'd like to come back to a working and polished game haha.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

I think aoe3 had a lot of potential but gs has a point when he says the balance is terrible. RE maps are garbage, and TPs overall break the balance. Water is broken as fuck on RE too. Inter civ balance is horrible. Late game is poorly designed and very imbalanced too, which lots of people tend to abuse because it's easier than actual gameplay.
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Holy See Imperial Noob
Lancer

Post by Imperial Noob »

Kaiserklein wrote:I think aoe3 had a lot of potential but gs has a point when he says the balance is terrible. RE maps are garbage, and TPs overall break the balance. Water is broken as fuck on RE too. Inter civ balance is horrible. Late game is poorly designed and very imbalanced too, which lots of people tend to abuse because it's easier than actual gameplay.

And yet so much of it has been improved by a small ESOCommunity alone.
Imagine what the amount of manpower and support that AoE2 community has, not to mention official add-ons, patches etc. could change.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

Those are pretty trivial complains. Lot of that stuff applies to AOE2.
The most evident issue with aoe3 balance is that nilla, TWC and TAD have completely different design ideas behind the civs, especially TAD (nilla TWC are somewhat comparable).
Image Image Image
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

The problem is you just can't have 14 "unique" civs and have a well balanced game. You have to sacrifice something if you want better balance.