E3 2019

United States of America giveuanxiety
Advanced Player
Donator 02
ESO: GiveUAnxiety

Re: E3 2019

Post by giveuanxiety »

They still support AOE DE 1 after more than 1 year after release.
Lasol wrote: :hmm: just Saw a YouTube video with giveyouanexiaty. He Said check youre stove, if you Want to improve youre aoe3 skills.

WHAT does check your stove means? And how do you do it?
Switzerland bobabu
Howdah

Post by bobabu »

Dolan wrote:
bobabu wrote:Honestly, if you watch it on your phone you won't see any difference. If you watch it on a 4k monitor you will see that it makes a big difference. On a 1920x1080 monitor, you will see it a bit. So all of you who are saying it's looking bad are probably watching it on a low-end device.

I'm watching it on a 32 inch 2K monitor. It still looks cartoonish af to me.

Sure, it has improved, but the engine seems to have the same clunky pathing it used to have.

Has money for a 2k monitor but can't afford 20 bucks for a game O_o
Italy Mosx
Dragoon
ESO: Mosx

Post by Mosx »

It's hard for an Aoe3 player with solid knowledge in game learn to play aoe2 isn't different game or total different??
op mechanics, op build order :export: :coin: :ugly: :uglylol: :maniac:

https://www.twitch.tv/mosxgr
Switzerland bobabu
Howdah

Post by bobabu »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:It seems like the remastered versions are shaping up to be glorified DLCs. I don't expect the remastered AoE3 to bring anything other than a few broken civs, more bugs, and discontinuation of support after 6 months or less. EP will most likely be better and we'll have the same situation as the AoE2 community when the HD version was released.

Really they shouldn't focus on new stuff but just fixing bugs. Nicer graphics is enough and then just the stuff that esoc adds and some anti cheat system.
Switzerland bobabu
Howdah

Post by bobabu »

Mosx wrote:It's hard for an Aoe3 player with solid knowledge in game learn to play aoe2 isn't different game or total different??

Definitely easier to learn aoe 3 coming from aoe 2 than the other way around. Because aoe 3 simplified a lot of things.
Germany supernapoleon
Lancer
ESO: Supernapoleon

Post by supernapoleon »

So we can wait at least another 1,5 years for Aoe3 DE to come out?
"I'M SOOOOOO GOOD AT THE GAME"
Hazza wrote: "I mad u win cos u get carried all game and have to lame every game"
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

bobabu wrote:
Dolan wrote:
bobabu wrote:Honestly, if you watch it on your phone you won't see any difference. If you watch it on a 4k monitor you will see that it makes a big difference. On a 1920x1080 monitor, you will see it a bit. So all of you who are saying it's looking bad are probably watching it on a low-end device.

I'm watching it on a 32 inch 2K monitor. It still looks cartoonish af to me.
[spoiler=pic]Image[/spoiler]

Sure, it has improved, but the engine seems to have the same clunky pathing it used to have.

Has money for a 2k monitor but can't afford 20 bucks for a game O_o

I have AOE2 HD on my Steam account. Bought it a few years ago as a value pack. I never played it, though, just got it together with AOE3.

Why would I buy AOE2 DE if I don't like it or even played HD? I played the original AOE2 and it was a nice game for its time, but times have moved on and AOE3 is still a better game overall, imo.

2K monitors are OP, especially if they are at least 30 inch.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

I'm just gonna say I'm pretty disappointed, AoE3 graphics seem to have been way ahead of time lol
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

pecelot wrote:I'm just gonna say I'm pretty disappointed, AoE3 graphics seem to have been way ahead of time lol

Damn right ahead of their time. Just look at this:

This was from a Hawaii map I was working on, some years ago, but it's using the textures from the original game.
Pls don't steal the idea without credit. :P I worked a bit on it, but never completed it or published it.

This is from Caribb:

This is a texture I modded in the game, a professional, high-resolution texture, in TIFF format, from a pack used by an actual game development studio:

This is the kind of detail AOE3 currently supports with a game engine developed between 2003-2005, so more than 14 years ago :uglylol: :

Autism level zoom:

Yep, it's real sand.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Now go back and compare to that cartoonish turd they put out with AOE2 DE.

If only I had their resources and access to the source code, I'd make this game induce epileptic orgasms if you just looked at it. :pop:
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor
ECL Reigning ChampsDonator 01
ESO: Riotcoke
Clan: UwU

Post by Riotcoke »

Age 3 vanilla looks better than the 2 de editions, for an rts game it's graphics really were beyond it's time

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

At the risk of sounding like a maniac, that's because they spent 3 years developing AOE3, doing pretty much nothing but graphics. And lots of content in AOE3 (especially map textures, but also warship textures) was hand-painted then scanned.
So it doesn't have a digital, plasticky look to it, which is what you would have got back then if you made it only digitally, since GFX technology was much less developed than today.

Well, ordinary unit models do look pretty blocky and stripped down, because this helped them keep the lag more manageable. Only special cinematic units have a great level of detail. Look at the warchief in this picture and compare the level of detail with those native units on the left:
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Aoe3's graphics have always been amazing to me. They did a really good job back in the day. I think it is unfair to compare aoe2 DEs graphics to those of aoe3 or of a modern game. This wasnt meant as a huge update, just a few little tweaks to grab some extra cash. But for aoe3 a few extra tweaks would mean a lot to the dedicated fans. Just them patching out moesbar would be amazing tbh. Or maybe including esoc maps and ep so that everyone would be playing on the better version.
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor

Post by Riotcoke »

Only problem with aoe 3's graphics is that bloom is way too high and annoying.

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Blooming effects only came into use in the early 2000s. AOE3 was part of the first wave of games that started using it to get some extra visual awesomeness on the screen. So probably the technique and shaders were only in their incipient phase.

You can disable it with a simple toggle in the Options.
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor

Post by Riotcoke »

Yes, but the game looks shite without the bloom, it needs to be a slider really.

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

The physics in aoe is pretty cool too, spinnimg after a cannon ball, clutching chest if shot by a missile, buildings and boats losing parts of the structure etc, and little details such as units chearing after a won fight.
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah
ESO: gamevideo113

Post by gamevideo113 »

gibson wrote:It was funny in the twitch chat to see everyone flaming aoe2 when they showed the aoe2 de trailer. I can only imagine the people hating on it are simply jealous that aoe2 is a much more successful game.

Ha! Gottem
[Some people aspire to be pr30+, some people aspire to have fun, and some people aspire to play 3v3 Deccan.] - vividlyplain - 2019 Who (nationality) rape ?
stupid logic. noob players can say op?
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

They did a decent job, considering the old engine limitations

but that isometric / dimetric perspective just sucks, lol.

There's no 3D perspective projection like in AOE3 at all.

Italy gamevideo113
Howdah
ESO: gamevideo113

Post by gamevideo113 »

Imo it got a lot more confusing to watch, i'm not sure it was a step in the right direction, but we'll see when some more footage is released.
[Some people aspire to be pr30+, some people aspire to have fun, and some people aspire to play 3v3 Deccan.] - vividlyplain - 2019 Who (nationality) rape ?
stupid logic. noob players can say op?
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

It would be fitting right? That’s where they announced.
mad cuz bad
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

Btw tonight I got an email notification for the aoe2de beta but when I checked the mail it was gone.
Image Image Image
Switzerland bobabu
Howdah

Post by bobabu »

Imao Age of Empires 4 should continue progressing in history like all the other Age of Empires titles did. Which was also the intent of Ensemble studios even though it is a gamble.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

so it would have to be either ww1 or ww2, which kinda doesn't work well with the idea of ages. or it would be age2 = ww1 age3 = ww2 age4 = korean/vietnam war but idk... there was an rts game which did something similar, you could go from basically medieval combat to ww2 I think, but it such a game also has serious competitive drawbacks, I think. How are you going to balance such units.

maybe just ww1 would be interesting, but I doubt it's a very popular era. You could do ages in years of the war

age 2 = 1914 = rifle combat, with machine guns and some forms of artillery and armored cars, zeppelins
age 3 = 1915 = unlocks gas, submarines, flamethrowers
age 4 = 1916-17 = unlocks tanks, shocktroopers, combat airplanes
age 5 = 1918 = unlocks nuclear bombs. GG