E3 2019

No Flag Djigit
Howdah

Re: E3 2019

Post by Djigit »

umeu wrote:so it would have to be either ww1 or ww2, which kinda doesn't work well with the idea of ages. or it would be age2 = ww1 age3 = ww2 age4 = korean/vietnam war but idk... there was an rts game which did something similar, you could go from basically medieval combat to ww2 I think, but it such a game also has serious competitive drawbacks, I think. How are you going to balance such units.

maybe just ww1 would be interesting, but I doubt it's a very popular era. You could do ages in years of the war

age 2 = 1914 = rifle combat, with machine guns and some forms of artillery and armored cars, zeppelins
age 3 = 1915 = unlocks gas, submarines, flamethrowers
age 4 = 1916-17 = unlocks tanks, shocktroopers, combat airplanes
age 5 = 1918 = unlocks nuclear bombs. GG

It's a possibility, but then again, it would make the CoH franchise somewhat irrelevant.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

I honestly don't think you can capture the style and feeling of age of empires in a world war era rts. Age of empires has some defining aspects, like having a town center and villagers and having basic resources in food/wood/gold and sometimes stone. This all doesn't make any sense in a modern era. I guess you could have iron mines and oil pumps and stuff and I guess it would be possible to have villagers working in those. It just doesn't feel like it's a serious historical game anymore then. World war warfare also has some serious problems if you do it in the style of an age of empires game. Airplanes are just really awkward and if you don't go the route of company of heroes it just feels like it's going to be pretty one dimensional micro wise. A world war RTS can probably work, but then you'd have to basically reinvent the wheel. I think age of empires works best in a medieval time period and I think people would be completely fine with a slightly innovated modern aoe2.
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor
ESO: BrookG

Post by BrookG »

For fact the concept of empires died in the beginning of 20th century and historically is was a term coined by Eric Hobsbawm.
Correlation doesn't mean causation.
http://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

"mr.brookg go buy jeans and goto the club with somppuli" - Princeofkabul, July 2018
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

RefluxSemantic wrote:I honestly don't think you can capture the style and feeling of age of empires in a world war era rts. Age of empires has some defining aspects, like having a town center and villagers and having basic resources in food/wood/gold and sometimes stone. This all doesn't make any sense in a modern era. I guess you could have iron mines and oil pumps and stuff and I guess it would be possible to have villagers working in those. It just doesn't feel like it's a serious historical game anymore then. World war warfare also has some serious problems if you do it in the style of an age of empires game. Airplanes are just really awkward and if you don't go the route of company of heroes it just feels like it's going to be pretty one dimensional micro wise. A world war RTS can probably work, but then you'd have to basically reinvent the wheel. I think age of empires works best in a medieval time period and I think people would be completely fine with a slightly innovated modern aoe2.

There is a world war era based RTS game on same style as age of empires. Its called Rise of Nations.
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

RefluxSemantic wrote:I honestly don't think you can capture the style and feeling of age of empires in a world war era rts. Age of empires has some defining aspects, like having a town center and villagers and having basic resources in food/wood/gold and sometimes stone. This all doesn't make any sense in a modern era. I guess you could have iron mines and oil pumps and stuff and I guess it would be possible to have villagers working in those. It just doesn't feel like it's a serious historical game anymore then. World war warfare also has some serious problems if you do it in the style of an age of empires game. Airplanes are just really awkward and if you don't go the route of company of heroes it just feels like it's going to be pretty one dimensional micro wise. A world war RTS can probably work, but then you'd have to basically reinvent the wheel. I think age of empires works best in a medieval time period and I think people would be completely fine with a slightly innovated modern aoe2.
Yeah, the concept of an RTS based on a historical period when empires were the main political subject can't go on forever. At some point, they will just have to replace "empires" with something else if they still want to continue the franchise. It will have to be called "Age of States" or "Age of Space". Or they will just merge all "Age of Empires" games into one single game, spanning all historical periods, and just keep patching and transforming that one, much like LoL. The Windows 10 business model.
No Flag Djigit
Howdah

Post by Djigit »

AoE4 could be set in the New Imperialism era with African, South East Asian, Middle Eastern and Polynesian civs/tribes.
Imagine an army composed of Dwayne Johnson, Mark Hunt and Umaga Image
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

Dolan wrote:Yeah, the concept of an RTS based on a historical period when empires were the main political subject can't go on forever. At some point, they will just have to replace "empires" with something else if they still want to continue the franchise. It will have to be called "Age of States" or "Age of Space". Or they will just merge all "Age of Empires" games into one single game, spanning all historical periods, and just keep patching and transforming that one, much like LoL. The Windows 10 business model.

I could imagine new AoEs on time frames which have been covered in the past, but with updated mechanics and a different gameplay. I would enjoy and Age of Empires 1 or 2 with the graphics and mechanics (e.g. HC shipments) from AoE 3. Alternatively, there could be an AoE covering the space in between the current games, e.g. starting in the late iron age (~500BC) and ending in the early medieval/feudal age (~800 AD). One could even incorporate interesting decisions, e.g. for the Roman Empire to reform into the Byzantine Empire losing/gaining access to specific units (e.g. no Legions/Ballistas anymore, but access to Greek Fire/Kataphractoi heavy cavalry). Same for Chinese dynasties (Han -> Jin -> Tang) with nice flavor altering gameplay.

I also see a lot of potential in adding new civilizations such as in Napoleonic Era or in a Civilization style. This could be done either by adding another little expansion with AoE3:DE or in the wake of AoE4.
Whatever is written above: this is no financial advice.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
Turkey Mameluke
Dragoon
ESO: MamelukƩ

Post by Mameluke »

I hope they will surprise us at the E3 2019 with some AoE4 content, I dont care what it is. :)
If you see any mistakes in my grammar/vocabulary or whatever, please correct me. I really appreciate it :!: :flowers:
No Flag Djigit
Howdah

Post by Djigit »

Mameluke wrote:I hope they will surprise us at the E3 2019 with some AoE4 content, I dont care what it is. :)
Turkey Mameluke
Dragoon
ESO: MamelukƩ

Post by Mameluke »

Djigit wrote:
Mameluke wrote:I hope they will surprise us at the E3 2019 with some AoE4 content, I dont care what it is. :)

why you laughing? so impossible? they didnt say anything about the trailer too, 2 years ago. (if i remember correctly)
If you see any mistakes in my grammar/vocabulary or whatever, please correct me. I really appreciate it :!: :flowers:
Italy Mosx
Dragoon
ESO: Mosx

Post by Mosx »

duckzilla wrote:
Dolan wrote:Yeah, the concept of an RTS based on a historical period when empires were the main political subject can't go on forever. At some point, they will just have to replace "empires" with something else if they still want to continue the franchise. It will have to be called "Age of States" or "Age of Space". Or they will just merge all "Age of Empires" games into one single game, spanning all historical periods, and just keep patching and transforming that one, much like LoL. The Windows 10 business model.

I could imagine new AoEs on time frames which have been covered in the past, but with updated mechanics and a different gameplay. I would enjoy and Age of Empires 1 or 2 with the graphics and mechanics (e.g. HC shipments) from AoE 3. Alternatively, there could be an AoE covering the space in between the current games, e.g. starting in the late iron age (~500BC) and ending in the early medieval/feudal age (~800 AD). One could even incorporate interesting decisions, e.g. for the Roman Empire to reform into the Byzantine Empire losing/gaining access to specific units (e.g. no Legions/Ballistas anymore, but access to Greek Fire/Kataphractoi heavy cavalry). Same for Chinese dynasties (Han -> Jin -> Tang) with nice flavor altering gameplay.

I also see a lot of potential in adding new civilizations such as in Napoleonic Era or in a Civilization style. This could be done either by adding another little expansion with AoE3:DE or in the wake of AoE4.

Amazing idea
op mechanics, op build order :export: :coin: :ugly: :uglylol: :maniac:

https://www.twitch.tv/mosxgr
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

Well here we go, action queue has just been announced for AoE2:DE on the mixer stream. I'm excited!
momuuu wrote: ā†‘theres no way eaglemut is truly a top player
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah
ESO: gamevideo113

Post by gamevideo113 »

EAGLEMUT wrote:Well here we go, action queue has just been announced for AoE2:DE on the mixer stream. I'm excited!

Oh boy oh boy!
They're gonna make a lot of tryhard fans quite pissed!
[Some people aspire to be pr30+, some people aspire to have fun, and some people aspire to play 3v3 Deccan.] - vividlyplain - 2019 Who (nationality) rape ?
stupid logic. noob players can say op?
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: ķŒ€ ķ•˜ģš°ģŠ¤

Post by n0el »

EAGLEMUT wrote:Well here we go, action queue has just been announced for AoE2:DE on the mixer stream. I'm excited!

That's going to cause a meltdown amongst the purists I'd imagine.
mad cuz bad
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: ķŒ€ ķ•˜ģš°ģŠ¤

Post by n0el »

and right click drag scrolling, straight out of CnC
mad cuz bad
No Flag Djigit
Howdah

Post by Djigit »

Is action queue what RoN has, where idle settlers start to do something automatically (building, hunting, mining...)?
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

Djigit wrote:
Is action queue what RoN has, where idle settlers start to do something automatically (building, hunting, mining...)?

It's what AoE3 has; shift click.
momuuu wrote: ā†‘theres no way eaglemut is truly a top player
No Flag Djigit
Howdah

Post by Djigit »

EAGLEMUT wrote:
Djigit wrote:

It's what AoE3 has; shift click.
oh boi, I thought every rts had thish
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Djigit wrote:AoE4 could be set in the New Imperialism era with African, South East Asian, Middle Eastern and Polynesian civs/tribes.

Yep. The 19th century and early 20th are uncovered subject matter for the AOE franchise. Empires went into a decline early 20th century, so there's still some uncovered modern imperial age for AOE to cover.

It could be called: Age of Empires IV, The Final Age.
Or The End of Empires.

Tho, it could be argued that when the British empire declined, its place was taken by the USA. Even though, officially imperial, monarchist empires have disappeared, hegemonic powers haven't. You could still make an Age of Global Powers sort of game, that would cover the Cold War/Soviet era, then more recently, China's rise.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

AoE IV: Trains
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

Dolan wrote:
Djigit wrote:AoE4 could be set in the New Imperialism era with African, South East Asian, Middle Eastern and Polynesian civs/tribes.

Yep. The 19th century and early 20th are uncovered subject matter for the AOE franchise. Empires went into a decline early 20th century, so there's still some uncovered modern imperial age for AOE to cover.

It could be called: Age of Empires IV, The Final Age.
Or The End of Empires.

Tho, it could be argued that when the British empire declined, its place was taken by the USA. Even though, officially imperial, monarchist empires have disappeared, hegemonic powers haven't. You could still make an Age of Global Powers sort of game, that would cover the Cold War/Soviet era, then more recently, China's rise.

So... basically Command&Conquer...
Whatever is written above: this is no financial advice.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

But done better : P
Spain NekoBerk
Lancer
ESO: Nirket

Post by NekoBerk »

See you later with some Aoe IV news in 2022 guys!
"That's why we sing for these kids who don't have a thing
Except for a dream and a fuckin' rap magazine " - Eminem

"And we hate po-po
Wanna kill us dead in the street fo sho' " - Kendrick Lamar
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Thats awesome.. hoping for a high quality mini map next I guess. Is attack move still bugged sometimes in aoe2 btw?
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger
ESO: lemmings121

Post by lemmings121 »

n0el wrote:

That's going to cause a meltdown amongst the purists I'd imagine.

They also anounced a "units in queue" ui, like we have in aoe3, This one I think has a even bigger impact in making the macro easier.