United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Re: E3 2019

Post by n0el »

lemmings121 wrote:
n0el wrote:
EAGLEMUT wrote:Well here we go, action queue has just been announced for AoE2:DE on the mixer stream. I'm excited!

That's going to cause a meltdown amongst the purists I'd imagine.

They also anounced a "units in queue" ui, like we have in aoe3, This one I think has a even bigger impact in making the macro easier.

Yup, I saw that. Basically they are making the game easier, which is no doubt the wrong decision.
mad cuz bad
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

I like it
Whatever is written above: this is no financial advice.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Shift clicking waypoints is already possible, you just need one extra click.
Some people will be mad about the queue thing but I think most of the community will welcome it.
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger
ESO: lemmings121

Post by lemmings121 »

n0el wrote:
lemmings121 wrote:
Show hidden quotes

They also anounced a "units in queue" ui, like we have in aoe3, This one I think has a even bigger impact in making the macro easier.

Yup, I saw that. Basically they are making the game easier, which is no doubt the wrong decision.

i'm a bit scared too about making rts easier, in the extreme exemple, we have the aomTT auto-macro.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

A queue is awesome. It has always been the thing I desired most in starcraft 2 and aoe2 and one of the things that I really appreciate about aoe3. I'm not even that bad but without a unit queue it's just really hard to keep track. To be a great player you still need to automize the macro flow in games like aoe2 and sc2 (not as much in aoe3 because its so easy in comparison) but a unit queue just helps the lesser gods keep track of it. In sc2 I sometimes feel like I spend almost all of my attention to macro, whereas microing is what I really want to be doing. Instead you're fighting the UI to get the information you need on whether or not you are still producing units/workings/upgrades.

Maybe this will rub the hardcore aoe2 playerbase - which probably is still a minority - the wrong way, but what I think is more important is that this shows a reasonable casual friendly attitude from microsoft. A unit queue is one of the things I desire the most in aoe4, as well as things like shift click, attack move, easy control groups, being able to easily spot idle villagers or how many villagers are on what resource and stuff like that. I think that's one of the main strengths of aoe3 right now. The UI, although still outdated, is actually pretty casual friendly and gives a lot of information. When you play aoe2 you'll miss that you can't even see how many villagers are on what resources unless you hide the scores and look at a messy list. In a game as fast paced as aoe2 people will still be able to actually straight up outmacro others for the win, but with little changes like these I think the game becomes more fun for the majority of players. I'm actually really excited about aoe2 DE right now.
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

Goodspeed wrote:Shift clicking waypoints is already possible, you just need one extra click.
Some people will be mad about the queue thing but I think most of the community will welcome it.

You can shift click waypoints but not link actions right?
mad cuz bad
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Yeah as far as I know. Shift clicking vills to resources after building houses will save me a lot of VS :P
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

AoE2:DE multiplayer will be server-based :ohmy:
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

Where did you read that
Image Image Image
Netherlands nimanoe
Crossbow

Post by nimanoe »

No Flag Ting
Crossbow

Post by Ting »

^ Add to that the following list of all the other improvements for AoE2: DE and I can say that I'm actually really impressed. I'm starting to get a lot more optimistic about the DE's (well, aside 1DE). Btw, why do they release this information to a german media outlet which is also behind a paywall? Why not release it worldwide for evereyone to know because they'd get more customers? I remember this when AoE4 was first announced as well. Why always only the germans?

https://www.reddit.com/r/aoe2/comments/ ... rticle_on/
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Honestly, I'm actually really excited after reading that. Aoe2 is going to feel like a game that isn't 20 years old. A lot of crucial quality of life improvements are really something to look forward to:
- Shift click
- UI updates to show gatherers per resource and idle vills like in aoe3 currently
- Unit queue, again like aoe3 has
- Visible control groups, like aoe3 has
- Better working attack move
- safety query when deleting important buildings
- technologies can actually be queued up

This is basically the game becoming a proper game. The last two days I've been playing aoe2 again and this adresses all quirky things I noticed. I honestly can't think of any weird quirk left, this is basically going to be as functional as aoe3. The only unsure thing is how much the pathing will actually improve the game, as right now it isn't really very responsive when it comes to army control. But who cares? A fucking modern UI that is going to make playing much more enjoyable. I'm split on the auto reseeding farms though, I secretly quite like doing it. It feels so good to nail that stuff.

Also, server based multiplayer is awesome and I am also interested in an improved AI. The current hardest AI is already pretty great. I hope the new AI doesn't do the unrealistic kiting that it currently does so that it can mimick actual pvp better. Oh, and some new civs and new campaigns too. This is a bargain at 15€ tbh.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Oh hey, I just came up with something that still sucks for aoe2: The mini map. I just can't tell gold or stone apart from anything with those unclear small little pixels of color.
No Flag Ting
Crossbow

Post by Ting »

Gonna tell you one thing that is needed and they still haven't done it (or at least i dont think so): ability to rejoin multiplayer games if you dropp. Guess they leave that for AoE4.
Spain yoqpasa
Lancer
ESO: yoqpasa

Post by yoqpasa »

https://youtu.be/OnfLoHIL0Dg?t=178

2:58-3:09 Does this mean some ESOC members are involved in AoE3 DE? Let's say.... _H2O?

Italy gamevideo113
Howdah
ESO: gamevideo113

Post by gamevideo113 »

Of course they need to involve some members of the AoE3 community, otherwise they’d have no clue about what to do on AoE3. Forgotten Empires was born from AoE2 players and when they did AoMEE it showed, unfortunately. I think they learned their lesson though.
[Some people aspire to be pr30+, some people aspire to have fun, and some people aspire to play 3v3 Deccan.] - vividlyplain - 2019 Who (nationality) rape ?
stupid logic. noob players can say op?
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Dear Micro$oft. Microsoft*.

I forgive you for everything. I live in Seattle, WA and will be willing to take the toll bridge to Renton everyday to playtest AoE3 DE. I'll even leave my PC there. I'm consulted on EP balance changes and have a brain that sometimes works. I've reached t10 in the Aoe3 2v2 ladder. I've eaten at the Microsoft campus food trucks and I always tip.

PM me for business inquiries and my contact information. I'll consider an unpaid position and I've signed at least two NDAs before so don't sweat.

Sincerely,

Callen