Some historical musings and photos of aoe equipment from real life

Bhutan jgals
Lancer
ESO: OstiferButthole

Some historical musings and photos of aoe equipment from real life

Post by jgals »

I am writing today from the historic city of Saratoga, in upstate new York along the Hudson River. It was here in this city now famous for agressively spoiled hot white girls and horse racing that one of the most pivotal events of the last Several hundred years took place.

Here in 1777 the British and the Separatist colonials faced off in an open field with sparse trees and fought what The Battle of Saratoga, now known as the turning point in the Revolutionary war, the first major rebel victory and one that convinced major European powers to give much needed material and naval support to the rebel cause(mainly France). The victory was aided greeatly by a decapitation strategy by a company of snipers called Morgan's rifles , some of whom had probably defected from the famous Rogers Rangers of new Hampshire. They had perched themselves in trees surrounding the battlefield and we're able to eliminate many British officers as they marched to battle.

Without this victory it is possible that the USA may have never existed. You can read more about it here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battles_of_Saratoga

In light of this history there is of course the American military museum here in this town. I was there looking at some artillery pieces today such as these,

IMG_20190523_131904.jpg

This Mortar weighed almost 18k lbs, or around 8k kg for all you Europeans. Ain't no way 4 guys are carrying this thing. Seriously ESO?
IMG_20190523_133653.jpg

IMG_20190523_131943.jpg

and I couldn't help but think that it must have been impossible for them to set up and move as fast as you are able to in the game. how do you think it could have changed the game to make artillery much less movable and a lot slower to set up than it is? I think heavy Cannon are about right but I don't think that horse artillery are at all realistic. And more importantly I think it negatively affects the strategy of the game. I know that the EPers did not want to change much about the game but I think the set up, take down time should be a lot more. Also, since capturing enemy artillery was such a huge part of warfare it would have been really cool to see that capability by say an infantry or cavalry charge if not culverin shot
Here is one example of captured British artillery and most of what the rebels had was captured. Even in European wars it was expected to be captured if a cavalry charge on artillery was successful otherwise it wouldn't even be worth it.
IMG_20190523_132451.jpg

Also, the Germans did have muskets

IMG_20190523_132546.jpg

Here is an Iroquois war club. Plaque calls it "hammer of death" these were the traditional Iroquois war weapon and they we're still using them even after the Europeans introduced steel for their tomohawks. Suprised they did not make an entrance into Aoe.
IMG_20190523_132647.jpg

And here is Kaiserklein

IMG_20190523_132527.jpg
Brazil Majora_
Musketeer
ESO: Majora_

Re: Some historical musings and photos of aoe equipment from real life

Post by Majora_ »

lets add muskts for germany then xD
Holy See Imperial Noob
Lancer

Post by Imperial Noob »

Bass voice mortar being carried around by four dudes like a fat Maharaja in his litter is imho very cool.

I WASTE! ADVANCE!
Czech Republic Googol
Retired Contributor
ESO: Butifle

Post by Googol »

War wagon:
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Yes, horses lugging 2000+ lbs of iron over uneven terrain moving faster than horses carrying 200 lbs of man and metal on only hooves is a little strange. Those are some strong ponies.