Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Re: AOE3 copy-pastas

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

Why Ottoman Is Hard

Abstract

The computational complexity of several gameplay mechanics crucial to the Ottoman civilization is studied. Playing Ottoman is determined to be NP-hard. Consequently, assuming P ≠ NP, playing Ottoman optimally may require exponential amounts of thinking.

Complexity of Trading Post placement

Ever since the resurgence of the Stagecoach meta, placing Trading Posts optimally is more important than ever. While it was already hard in previous eras due to needing to secure sites, the new meta makes Trading Posts an important area of defense. In fact, certain civilizations, such as French, are impossible to be destroyed using a Trading Post strategy, and necessitate the use of strategies which don't involve Trading Posts to provide defense.

Claim 1: Given a finite set of sites (assumed to be 3D points), a finite set of 3D points where enemies may attack (such as locations for trading posts to be built), the problem of placing the minimum number of Trading Posts to cover these vital spots is NP-hard.

Proof: The problem is equivalent to the minimum building disk cover problem, a special case of the geometric set cover problem. This is well-known to be NP-hard [1] [2].

Notes: If you are willing to make over 4 times as many Trading Posts as is optimal due to your opponent's agression, you can solve it in O(n log n) [2]. Bear in mind though, this is spending over 199 extra wood per Trading Post. Think how late your Artillery Foundry will be due to this wanton expenditure of wood.

Complexity of utilizing and protecting the 2 falconet shipment and utilizing limited mercenaries

Casting one time only shipments such as 2 falconets and using mercenaries is essential to defeating masses of enemy units, as the units of other civilizations are more cost efficient than Ottoman ones. However, as our experience is limited, we can only cast a finite number of shipments, whilst endless hordes of skirmishers and dragoons approach. We must destroy the maximum number of enemy units using our fixed number of 2 falconet shipments/mercenaries.

Claim 2: Given a set of enemy units, which we shall assume to be 3D points, hitting the maximum amount of units with a fixed number k of unit disks is NP-hard.

Proof: This problem is closely related to the minimum unit disk cover problem. We show it is as hard as minimum unit disk cover by reduction: If there exists a solution to solve the 2 falconet problem, then we can simply binary search on k to solve the minimum unit disk cover problem. Therefore the mercenary problem is also NP-hard.

Complexity of using minuteman

Constructing a wall as Ottoman is sub optimal and therefore minutemen are essential to defending against attacks from musketeers, hussars, and even ashigaru.

Claim 3: Given a ramp of integer width y, and given a multiset of walls of width x1, x2, ..., xm, determining whether it is possible to wall off the home city while aging up is NP-hard.

Proof: This is simply the subset sum problem where we wish to find a subset of the m walls whose width sum up to y-1. This is well-known to be NP-hard [3].

Notes: As we see, even determining the existence of a possible wall is difficult. That said, this particular instance is efficiently solvable in pseudopolynomial time using dynamic programming as the number of distinct walls widths is small.

Complexity of destroying hussars using a Town Center

Unlike other civilizations whose viable strategies include something else than a Fast Fortress, the Ottoman civilization relies on a Fast Fortress to stand any chance in any matchup. Moreover, they have to deal with raiding hussars with minimum defence, making them extremely dangerous. We must deal with this using a Town Center. Unfortunately, Colonial Militia is not viable in the current meta, Town Centers are very weak, so we must rely on a one time batch of minutemen.

Claim 4: Given a set of enemy hussars, which we shall assume to be 3D points, determining the best order to destroy them using a Town Center is NP-hard.

Proof: This is simply the travelling salesman problem, which is well-known to be NP-hard since the Hamiltonian cycle problem is NP-hard [3].

Notes: The problem becomes even harder if you take into account the optimal time to activate minutemen ability. This is left as an exercise to the reader.

Complexity of A-moving

A-moving may seem like a trivial problem to many AOE3 players, but it is in fact the difficult problem of multi-agent planning. AOE2 players will understand that Turk units, such as the Jannisary, are inherently more difficult for path planning compared to the units of other civilizations. In AOE3, this problem is exacerbated by the fact that Ottoman units tend to be clumped up as a deathball, introducing additional computational complexity.

Claim 5: Given a deathball of n units, each with a start position and a desired end position, finding optimal routes from each start position to an end position such that they are conflict-free in space and time is NP-hard.

Proof: By reduction to multi-agent planning on a graph, well-known to be NP-hard [4].

Notes: All civilizations suffer from this problem. But Iroquois are less affected, as an Iroquois player has sufficient APM to split his aennas such that collisions are unlikely, allowing the use of efficient heuristic algorithms in practice. Moreover, as Dutch gameplay revolves around amassing Ruyters, which hardly collide, path planning is trivial.

Complexity of playing Ottoman

Theorem 1: Playing Ottoman is NP-hard.

Proof: From above Claims.

Notes: If you manage to play Ottoman efficiently, you may have solved the P = NP problem. In this case, you can collect your one million dollars from the Millennium Prize as well as get rich by defeating encryption algorithms used by financial institutions.

References

[1] Das, G. K., Fraser, R., López-Ortiz, A., & Nickerson, B. G. (2011, February). On the discrete unit disk cover problem. In International Workshop on Algorithms and Computation (pp. 146-157). Springer Berlin Heidelberg.
[2] Liu, P., & Lu, D. (2014). A fast 25/6-approximation for the minimum unit disk cover problem. arXiv preprint arXiv:1406.3838.
[3] Karp, R. M. (1972). Reducibility among combinatorial problems. In Complexity of computer computations (pp. 85-103). springer US.
[4] Papadimitriou, C. H., Raghavan, P., Sudan, M., & Tamaki, H. (1994, November). Motion planning on a graph. In Foundations of Computer Science, 1994 Proceedings., 35th Annual Symposium on (pp. 511-520). IEEE.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

@Diarouga no, you have no clue rushing vs ATP is good
India gh0st
Lancer
ESO: gh0st007

Post by gh0st »

oh my, this thread is going in hall of fame already.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

[Armag] diarouga wrote:
@Diarouga no, you have no clue rushing vs ATP is good

what a pasta, surely the best one in here
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor
ESO: BrookG

Post by BrookG »

Because I have a track record, I often give guidance to new and mid-career employees, but it is not good to teach because the method of work is an inherent order ... The same feeling as teaching Spain's fastest FF to beginners
Correlation doesn't mean causation.
http://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

"mr.brookg go buy jeans and goto the club with somppuli" - Princeofkabul, July 2018
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor
ESO: BrookG

Post by BrookG »

If Tabben has million numbers of fans I am one of them. If he has ten fans I am one of them. If Tabben has only one fan and that is me. If Tabben has no fans, that means I am no more on earth. If world against the Tabben, I am against the world...

Prolly by rafamundo
Correlation doesn't mean causation.
http://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

"mr.brookg go buy jeans and goto the club with somppuli" - Princeofkabul, July 2018
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

superdreadnought rail cannon gustav max
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
Serbia ShinkuroYukinari
Dragoon
ESO: ShinkuroYukinari
Clan: BANIN

Post by ShinkuroYukinari »

France is broken
My signature was removed, MOD ABUSE!
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

Let's spam this during the showmatch between tabben and Raphael.
I enjoy watching Tabben play Age of Empires III.
Tabben is my favorite player. When he wins, I think to myself "yes!", when he loses, I think to myself " no!".
No Flag zurkoql
Crossbow
ESO: zurkoql

Post by zurkoql »

Lukas_L99 wrote:So you're going by "tabben" now nerd? Haha whats up douche bag, it's Lukas from Highschool. Remember me? Me and the girls used to give you a hard time in school. Sorry you were just an easy target lol. I can see not much has changed. Remember Hazza the guy you had a crush on? Yeah we're married now. I make over 200k a year and drive a mustang GT. I guess some things never change huh loser? Nice catching up lol. Pathetic..

H-hey Tabben, do you remember me from aoe3? RE patch? It's Hazza. I just wanted to stop by since you missed the last reunion, I was looking for you. I always thought you were really smart and talented and had good micro, but I could never work up the nerve to tell you. Anyway, I hope you're doing well...HAHA Just kidding, it's still Lukas you fucking gullible idiot lmfao. Anyway, the gym awaits, see ya man good talk
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

Hello, my name is Juan Pastoroni, CEO of Copy Pasta Industries. I’d like to let you know that we’ve just gained copyrights on a lot of copy pastas seen in this chat. If you are using them right now, please refrain from doing so, or risk being fined under copyright infringement. Thank you, and don’t be funny and copy and paste this. This is business, kid.
Australia Kawapasaka
ESOC Pro Team

Post by Kawapasaka »

[Armag] diarouga wrote:Let's spam this during the showmatch between tabben and Raphael.
I enjoy watching Tabben play Age of Empires III.
Tabben is my favorite player. When he wins, I think to myself "yes!", when he loses, I think to myself " no!".

What showmatch?
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

Inter wanted to host a smackdown showmatch but rapha is actually going to dodge.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

:salt:
United States of America charlemango
Musketeer
ESO: 2ndLastKnight

Post by charlemango »

Someone post the ageofkiller one where the guy was like every time I see you post in the chat you are sucking off kynesie
Australia robo
ESOC Media Team
ESO: robo_boro
Clan: sQad

Post by robo »

Every user will be given 100 denarii before each game, bet on the outcome of each game. Use !bet name x to place your bet and !denarii to check your points! The winner at the end of the stream will win themselves (or a person of their choosing) a Subscription to the channel!

Nightbot 2019
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah
ESO: gamevideo113

Post by gamevideo113 »

somppukunkku wrote:I assume diarouga won because he uploaded. But infact, if the game lasted 32 mins garja has overperformed and diarouga underperformed hard which makes the G winner.

tabben wrote:I assume dontay won because he uploaded. But infact, if the game lasted 43 mins powersource has overperformed and dontay underperformed hard which makes the P winner.
[Some people aspire to be pr30+, some people aspire to have fun, and some people aspire to play 3v3 Deccan.] - vividlyplain - 2019 Who (nationality) rape ?
stupid logic. noob players can say op?
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah

Post by gamevideo113 »

Garja wrote:I mean, I played better but I'm also better so that's expected.
[Some people aspire to be pr30+, some people aspire to have fun, and some people aspire to play 3v3 Deccan.] - vividlyplain - 2019 Who (nationality) rape ?
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah

Post by gamevideo113 »

When you beat a guy and hes surprised of your strong play (for your PR strong) and says "nice smurf" even though you arent smurfing...my respond always: "thank you for the compliment" :mrgreen:

Surprised this wasn't in here already
Googol wrote:When you shitpost an forum and admins are surprised of your posts (for your shitpost strong) and says "nice shitpost" even though you aren't shitposting my respond always: "thank you for the warning" :mrgreen:
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah

Post by gamevideo113 »

analworsher9 wrote:ESO-C diagnosed with cancer
This community has become malignant to the point of utter disbelief. Zealot moderators such as edeholland and Papist have ruined the community's healthy discourse (ex: their reprehensible treatment of long time player jakebailey12 and edwardteatx) ....

While there is a good chance this post will be "deleted" by the aforementioned acidic individuals, it is important to voice the concerns of many community members who are fed up. This behavior will no longer be tolerated.

You wish worsh, you wish you could.

-analworsher9
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah

Post by gamevideo113 »

gibson wrote:have you ever been here sitting on your computer and you wonder what do to life like all is done is play video games can you move on to be a big bidness man like noel or jacked like princeofkabul or will you just become old and senile like metis making 3500 boom offline and get laughed at by pro tr player and look up wikipedia shit or maybe you just be a troll like the influx we seen recently like bittersalt frostbite or other trump person names maybe theyre all the same person we dont know we may never know possible to join the media team like site and than have a big fight n leave but people are always leaving the media team so who even cares or you could shack up in a basement and drink nock off brand soda all day and ill night or pretend to leave and come back on a different account with an american accent and become a mod maybe so many different options could just smoke weed and make balance changes like goodspeed could b or its always a possibili to start dating someone from here you know that works out nice generally just as long as the girl doesnmt have a dick like what happened in one of the hangover movies which reminds me of my life goal to be like sircallen tall and strong red checks look like apples but horse eat apples i remember once i was in highschool and went to a girls horse party and saw a happy male and horse and than i knew where the expresion hung like a horse came from a genderme is a horse or part horse part man a swedish horse with long demon hair lookin ass like he just got out of a giant blow dryer like they have a dollywood splash country to help u dri off but id rather not be like that either maybe ill become csgo god pro like osmane make my way all the way up to gold nova basically kennyS in this bitch but better tryin to be op like dutch jerom which is jerom like jerome but no e but he unfriend me on facebook so not him i got it ill swim to england like when michael phelps raced a real live great white shark but still lost cause sharks are fast in the water but i bet he could beat the shark in a land race but anyway back to the point swim to englad with brexit and live with harry and samthelag getting baked and smokin big doinks in amish but next thing i know lag and its austrailla with sirmusket whos even more jacked than princeofkabul and were chilling with his 11/10 gf whos totally real and i wish so bad i could be him but change my mind once i see a kangaroo fighting vs a spider as big as my head no more austrailla for me i want to move to brazil and become besties with kickass and macaco lemmings and help them to get good internet we're wiring fiber from cali through the panama canel up in here but the tax is to much where doesnt have tax ah i know antartica has no tax but wait its becase theres no one who lives there and only pengiuns and bears and ice so this will never ever do too cold im gonna watch shrek
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
Sweden Zutazuta
Howdah
zuta

Post by Zutazuta »

Anyone still got the monster dog clip?
United States of America lesllamas
Lancer

Post by lesllamas »

Saved on my computer from a couple years ago:

What the fuck did you just fucking say about Jerom, you little bitch? I’ll have you know he graduated top of his class in Time to Micro, and has been involved in numerous secret raids on Tibia’s stream, and he has over 300 confirmed droptricks. He is trained in gorilla warfare and is the top Quicksearch sniper in the entire ESO Community. You are nothing to him but just another 1st lieutenant. He will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to Jerom on twitch chat? Think again, fucker. As we speak he is contacting his secret network of mods across ESOC and your twitch account is being traced right now so you better prepare for the ban, noob. The ban that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your smurf. You’re fucking dead, kid. Jerom can be anywhere, anytime, and can outplay you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with his trackpad. Not only is Jerom extensively trained in banning trolls, but he has access to the entire arsenal of the Moesbar hacks and will use it to its full extent to kick your miserable ass off the RE patch, you little shit. If only you could have known what unGarjaly retribution your little “clever” twitch comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have respected Jerom. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. Jerom will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo.

Jerom and Barmboney spend many night together. Talking between kisses about twitch chat. They pray to the Garja that Somppu will not find them.

N30_Jerom isn't so great? Are you kidding me? When was the last time you saw a player with such an ability and micro with dutch? Jerom puts the game in another level, and we will be blessed if we ever see a player with his skill and passion for the game again. H20 breaks records. Garja breaks records. Jerom breaks the rules. You can keep your statistics. I prefer the magic.

Did you ever hear the tragedy of Sir Callen "the wise"? I thought not. It's not a story ESOC would tell you. It's a Brit legend. Sir Callen was a Dark Lord of the Brits, so powerful and so wise he could use Attack Move to influence musketeers to create PR...He had such a knowledge of Attack Move that he could even keep the musks he cared about from dying. The secret of Attack Move is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural. What happened to Sir Callen?
He became so powerful...the only thing he was afraid of was losing his PR, which eventually, of course, he did. Unfortunately, he taught his Twitch audience everything he knew, then copypasta memers hacked him in his sleep. It's ironic, he could save others from death, but not himself.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Nishe