What percentage of the community uses a laptop?

Laptop
54%
Desktop
41%
Both
5%

Total votes: 78

Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor
ECL Reigning ChampsDonator 01
ESO: Riotcoke
Clan: UwU

Post by Riotcoke »

After seeing a comment from both Kasier and Cossack that they both play on Laptops, i'd find it interesting to see what percentage of the community uses a laptop even if they give a disadvantage.

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
United States of America Squamiger
Howdah
ESO: Squamiger

Re: What percentage of the community uses a laptop?

Post by Squamiger »

aoe3 is the game of aging, downwardly-mobile millennials who move every 2 years to a new tiny room in a 7 bedroom house in a gentrifying city that costs $1000 a month, and who play aoe3 because it reminds them of when they were 12-15 and living securely in their parents' house in the suburbs

so i doubt a lot have big desktops-- too expensive / too hard to move with
Armenia Sargsyan
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: lamergamer
Clan: c0ns

Post by Sargsyan »

Squamiger wrote:aoe3 is the game of aging, downwardly-mobile millennials who move every 2 years to a new tiny room in a 7 bedroom house in a gentrifying city that costs $1000 a month, and who play aoe3 because it reminds them of when they were 12-15 and living securely in their parents' house in the suburbs

kowalski analysis
krichk wrote:For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge Challenger_Marco
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

The best players ever of this game played on desktop (iamgrunt, _h2o, blackstar_op).
You can get used to playing on laptops pretty well (I used to play on a laptop too, for a while), even on trackpad.

But most laptops are not really made for gaming, they tend to get hot and throttle. So they're not the optimal setup for gaming.
Personally, I came to like using big screens, so for me using a laptop for anything is just too cramped an experience.
Armenia Sargsyan
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: lamergamer
Clan: c0ns

Post by Sargsyan »

Laptops are awful for gaming
krichk wrote:For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge Challenger_Marco
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Good laptops can be ok, but still, you get a screen that is usually 15" (rarely 17"). So it's still very small even for the typical average desktop resolution (20-ish inches 1080p) which is used for gaming even at pro events. Actually pro players typically use resolutions which are below 1080p and somewhat smaller screens, but not 15" screens. Even at esports events the setup includes monitors that are close to 20" in size (this one in the pic is probably 19-20"):

You never see players at pro events playing on 15" screen laptops. It might be different for FPS games, though, where you need pinpoint precision, because your damage is always targeted per one unit. In RTS you probably need a slightly bigger screen than in FPS for better macro. You also need high refresh rate (at least 144Hz) and 1ms latency for best performance.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

Laptop is totally fine, don't be pussies
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
India Challenger_Marco
ESOC Media Team
ESO: challenger_marco

Post by Challenger_Marco »

you only need bigger screens for fps games , for rts is not mandatory ....
:nwc:
Holy See Imperial Noob
Lancer

Post by Imperial Noob »

Squamiger wrote:aoe3 is the game of aging, downwardly-mobile millennials who move every 2 years to a new tiny room in a 7 bedroom house in a gentrifying city that costs $1000 a month, and who play aoe3 because it reminds them of when they were 12-15 and living securely in their parents' house in the suburbs

xD I love such selectively morbid socio-economic comments
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

The Basement uses a mix
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor

Post by Riotcoke »

Dolan wrote:Good laptops can be ok, but still, you get a screen that is usually 15" (rarely 17"). So it's still very small even for the typical average desktop resolution (20-ish inches 1080p) which is used for gaming even at pro events. Actually pro players typically use resolutions which are below 1080p and somewhat smaller screens, but not 15" screens. Even at esports events the setup includes monitors that are close to 20" in size (this one in the pic is probably 19-20"):

You never see players at pro events playing on 15" screen laptops. It might be different for FPS games, though, where you need pinpoint precision, because your damage is always targeted per one unit. In RTS you probably need a slightly bigger screen than in FPS for better macro. You also need high refresh rate (at least 144Hz) and 1ms latency for best performance.

Refresh rate isn't really an argument, i have a moderately priced laptop with 144hz. And i can't tell the difference between that and my 144hz desktop monitor.

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

You people are aware that you can connect screens (yes, even multiple!) to a laptop?
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor

Post by Riotcoke »

Goodspeed wrote:You people are aware that you can connect screens (yes, even multiple!) to a laptop?

You can, but to most laptops there are limitations, as most don't output 144hz through their outputs, so you can't use a good monitor.

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

You'd also need some special cables with low latency, if you take that route.
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor

Post by Riotcoke »

I should of probably checked this, still a month has gone by, maybe there's huge changes :hmm:

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

@deleted_user4
Denmark crjensen4
Dragoon
Donator 07
ESO: crjensen4

Post by crjensen4 »

And then there are those of us born in the 70’s with wife and kids; high paying job - who has a dedicated room in the house just for playing AOE3 and of course on a gaming laptop insanely over equipped for handling the game....
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

gibson wrote:

@deleted_user4

A desktop takes up less space than a guitar.

I have moved every year for the last five years into tiny rooms and then into a gentrifying city because my friends live here, it's beautiful, and I make money.

Playing AoE does not remind me of living in inner Dubuque, no, nor the farm. Nothing does.

I pay $900/mo with two roommates, so pretty close. It's hard being downwardly mobile while entering the workforce near my parents' current wages. Some (all) things are out of our control.

6/10 pretty accurate.