What percentage of the community uses a laptop?

Laptop
54%
Desktop
41%
Both
5%

Total votes: 78

Great Britain Riotcoke
ESOC Media Team
ESO: Riotcoke

30 May 2019, 12:16

After seeing a comment from both Kasier and Cossack that they both play on Laptops, i'd find it interesting to see what percentage of the community uses a laptop even if they give a disadvantage.
United States of America Squamiger
Skirmisher
ESO: Squamiger

30 May 2019, 12:25

aoe3 is the game of aging, downwardly-mobile millennials who move every 2 years to a new tiny room in a 7 bedroom house in a gentrifying city that costs $1000 a month, and who play aoe3 because it reminds them of when they were 12-15 and living securely in their parents' house in the suburbs

so i doubt a lot have big desktops-- too expensive / too hard to move with
ajabu ya kondoo kucheka kioo
Armenia Sargsyan
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: Sargsyan
GameRanger ID: 2106182

30 May 2019, 12:32

Squamiger wrote:aoe3 is the game of aging, downwardly-mobile millennials who move every 2 years to a new tiny room in a 7 bedroom house in a gentrifying city that costs $1000 a month, and who play aoe3 because it reminds them of when they were 12-15 and living securely in their parents' house in the suburbs

kowalski analysis
Romania Dolan
Jaeger

30 May 2019, 12:32

The best players ever of this game played on desktop (iamgrunt, _h2o, blackstar_op).
You can get used to playing on laptops pretty well (I used to play on a laptop too, for a while), even on trackpad.

But most laptops are not really made for gaming, they tend to get hot and throttle. So they're not the optimal setup for gaming.
Personally, I came to like using big screens, so for me using a laptop for anything is just too cramped an experience.
"That is why I am always on about peace, you see. It is the most violent people who go for love and peace."

"Aren't we all just internet explorers?"
Armenia Sargsyan
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: Sargsyan
GameRanger ID: 2106182

30 May 2019, 12:35

Laptops are awful for gaming
Romania Dolan
Jaeger

30 May 2019, 12:37

Good laptops can be ok, but still, you get a screen that is usually 15" (rarely 17"). So it's still very small even for the typical average desktop resolution (20-ish inches 1080p) which is used for gaming even at pro events. Actually pro players typically use resolutions which are below 1080p and somewhat smaller screens, but not 15" screens. Even at esports events the setup includes monitors that are close to 20" in size (this one in the pic is probably 19-20"):

You never see players at pro events playing on 15" screen laptops. It might be different for FPS games, though, where you need pinpoint precision, because your damage is always targeted per one unit. In RTS you probably need a slightly bigger screen than in FPS for better macro. You also need high refresh rate (at least 144Hz) and 1ms latency for best performance.
"That is why I am always on about peace, you see. It is the most violent people who go for love and peace."

France Kaiserklein
Gendarme
NWC LAN 4th place
GameRanger ID: 5529322

30 May 2019, 13:00

Laptop is totally fine, don't be pussies
Micro tricks

LoOk_tOm: I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..

India Challenger_Marco
Lancer
ESO: challenger_marco

30 May 2019, 13:13

you only need bigger screens for fps games , for rts is not mandatory ....
No Flag Imperial Noob
Lancer

30 May 2019, 13:28

Squamiger wrote:aoe3 is the game of aging, downwardly-mobile millennials who move every 2 years to a new tiny room in a 7 bedroom house in a gentrifying city that costs $1000 a month, and who play aoe3 because it reminds them of when they were 12-15 and living securely in their parents' house in the suburbs

xD I love such selectively morbid socio-economic comments
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Gendarme
Donator 03

30 May 2019, 13:48

The Basement uses a mix
There's sand in my teeth
Great Britain Riotcoke
ESOC Media Team

30 May 2019, 13:52

Dolan wrote:Good laptops can be ok, but still, you get a screen that is usually 15" (rarely 17"). So it's still very small even for the typical average desktop resolution (20-ish inches 1080p) which is used for gaming even at pro events. Actually pro players typically use resolutions which are below 1080p and somewhat smaller screens, but not 15" screens. Even at esports events the setup includes monitors that are close to 20" in size (this one in the pic is probably 19-20"):

You never see players at pro events playing on 15" screen laptops. It might be different for FPS games, though, where you need pinpoint precision, because your damage is always targeted per one unit. In RTS you probably need a slightly bigger screen than in FPS for better macro. You also need high refresh rate (at least 144Hz) and 1ms latency for best performance.

Refresh rate isn't really an argument, i have a moderately priced laptop with 144hz. And i can't tell the difference between that and my 144hz desktop monitor.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

30 May 2019, 13:58

You people are aware that you can connect screens (yes, even multiple!) to a laptop?
Great Britain Riotcoke
ESOC Media Team

30 May 2019, 14:10

Goodspeed wrote:You people are aware that you can connect screens (yes, even multiple!) to a laptop?

You can, but to most laptops there are limitations, as most don't output 144hz through their outputs, so you can't use a good monitor.
Romania Dolan
Jaeger

30 May 2019, 14:14

You'd also need some special cables with low latency, if you take that route.

Kiribati SirCallen
Gendarme
ESO: KTRAlN

30 May 2019, 14:37

and the giving famishes the craving
sweet thames, run softly, til I end my song

The shepherd's staff's tantalus around my neck

let the water
touch the tongue
Great Britain Riotcoke
ESOC Media Team

30 May 2019, 14:57

I should of probably checked this, still a month has gone by, maybe there's huge changes :hmm:
Tuvalu gibson
Gendarme

30 May 2019, 15:02

@SirCallen
Denmark crjensen4
Dragoon
Donator 07
ESO: crjensen4

31 May 2019, 11:38

And then there are those of us born in the 70’s with wife and kids; high paying job - who has a dedicated room in the house just for playing AOE3 and of course on a gaming laptop insanely over equipped for handling the game....
Kiribati SirCallen
Gendarme
ESO: KTRAlN

31 May 2019, 15:12

gibson wrote:

@SirCallen

A desktop takes up less space than a guitar.

I have moved every year for the last five years into tiny rooms and then into a gentrifying city because my friends live here, it's beautiful, and I make money.

Playing AoE does not remind me of living in inner Dubuque, no, nor the farm. Nothing does.

I pay $900/mo with two roommates, so pretty close. It's hard being downwardly mobile while entering the workforce near my parents' current wages. Some (all) things are out of our control.

6/10 pretty accurate.
and the giving famishes the craving
sweet thames, run softly, til I end my song

The shepherd's staff's tantalus around my neck

let the water
touch the tongue

Forum Info

Return to “General”