Definitive editions coming to Steam

Switzerland bobabu
Howdah

Re: Definitive editions coming to Steam

Post by bobabu »

Imperial Noob wrote:
fighting Frenchman wrote:There's plenty of hype for AoE 4 already and nobody really cares about AoE 3 when 2 is so much more popular lol

Let's assume AoE3 has 10% the popularity, hype potential, etc. of AoE2.
10% is a lot in business lol

Besides, the hype is cumulative on the internet.

They probably not gonna make much money with it even if they ask for money. And it's perfectly reasonable to ask for money. And we desperately need some improvements especially considering all of the cheating. If everybody would be as stingy as you, all the games would be crappy free to plays. And I bought the game like 4 times and I will gladly buy it a fifth time
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Ez 4 Swiss
Hungary Dsy
Lancer

Post by Dsy »

EzR 4 Gates
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

No one cares about fixed crates, in this thread.

This is damn good news, but I wonder whether or not the DE editions will make for an augmented playerbase. That's what I want. If they could patch the game so that moesbar, altD and other things were fixed, that would be equally awesome. In the end, though, what matters the most is having a stronger, active player base.
Hungary Dsy
Lancer

Post by Dsy »

But playerbase wont last long if they dont balance the game.
If you think about the whole community isnt active because of Morgan Black's campaing was so exciting.
Defend vs hacking and fixing bugs all itself wont succeed. It will probably keep the existing playerbase.
In my opinion if they successfully make an anticheat and fixing bug and exploits it would be the biggest bald move to not balance the game which is much more easier.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

This announcement shouldn't be overstated, though. It's not a special announcement about AOE3 DE, it's a lump statement about their strategy for the titles that they're going to release next.
It's typical of Microsoft to not say much, just issue some generic press release, then keep silent until they launch the new game. Then they proceed to just plop the game like an unfinished turd upon the whole community and let them all get mad that it's not what they really wanted. Fix bugs later.
That's Microsoft's build order. And it works every time. People keep religiously waiting for the next thing. :ship:
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

Well, they're actually going back and doing it even for AoE1:DE, for which they also started funding some updates again. Credit where credit is due, seems like good stuff.
momuuu wrote: theres no way eaglemut is truly a top player
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Well, yeah, of course, they have these franchises in their pockets: Minecraft, AOE, Halo, Gears of War, Battletoads etc etc. They can't just let them die, because they provide content for their various platforms, so, at the minimum, they need to make an effort to at least keep them alive with periodical updates.
These franchises keep a captive audience paying into their coffers for as long as they (Microsoft) don't completely botch them, like they did with AOEO.
Hungary Dsy
Lancer

Post by Dsy »

I think it would be important to not lie. They can only resurrect and make it very successful if:
-Anticheat
-Compatitive online matchmaking
-Bug fixes
-Balance changes
-Competitive maps
Will be implemented. All crucial for success.
What happens how will they do we will see.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

My bet is that they will only fix stuff that could make the game fail to sell.

So they will fix cheating, improve the UI (need to add some new eye candy to make people pay for the game again), fix some game-breaking bugs (like failure to identify GPU when the game starts, etc), but they won't invest much in pleasing the competitive scene, if at all. You can never please the most diehard fans or competitive players. You're making most money with naive buyers.
United States of America SoldieR
Pro Player
ESO: SoldieR

Post by SoldieR »

I agree. Keep the expectations low, and hope to be surprised. That's been the correct way to view aoe releases the last 10 years.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Or any release really
United States of America SoldieR
Pro Player
ESO: SoldieR

Post by SoldieR »

Ya, actually. Even aoe3 was released without OBS, without PR, without rated game browser, with only HC level as the only "rating system".
Armenia Sargsyan
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: lamergamer
Clan: c0ns

Post by Sargsyan »

What really ? I didnt know that haha
krichk wrote:For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge Challenger_Marco
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

IAmSoldieR wrote:Ya, actually. Even aoe3 was released without OBS, without PR, without rated game browser, with only HC level as the only "rating system".

Wasn't OBS like a third party add-on made by the community anyway?
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

The first OBS maps for AOE3 were made by pftq, there was no OBS whatsoever before that.
Some other people copied pftq's work and created those GP Obs versions that were used so much back in the RTSSanct era.

Much later on, I made some packs for team games with OBS, which I gave to Veni, because I noticed he was playing teams a lot and was complaining there were no OBS maps for teams for the entire RE mapset. So I made a pack with all the RE maps with OBS (non-playing player) added for all types of team games (2v2s, 3v3s, with one or several observers). I also published them on HeavenGames and gave some 1v1 versions to the team that was making the patch for the mac community. I think this was like in 2012 - 2013.

Then Aizamk started working on a nilla version of OBS maps with extra options (hotkeys for in-game stats, etc). I think he started working on the first versions just before the PK-Clan TAD tourney, so it probably was in 2013. Then came the UI maps, Esoc patch maps etc.
No Flag Superfly47
Musketeer
ESO: Superfly47

Post by Superfly47 »

Won't definite version split online community with some player new version and others old one, making it even harder to find a game.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

Superfly47 wrote:Won't definite version split online community with some player new version and others old one, making it even harder to find a game.

No
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Canada _NiceKING_
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: _NiceKING_
GameRanger ID: 9999999
Clan: Xbox

Post by _NiceKING_ »

Mitoe wrote:
Imperial Noob wrote:It really sucks that they made no open, official contact with the community.

Well it’s possible that they haven’t even started on AoE3:DE yet with AoE2:DE likely coming next.

AoE3DE and AoE2DE are being developed simultaneously. It was mentioned on one of the weekly streams almost a year ago.
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
Superfly47 wrote:Won't definite version split online community with some player new version and others old one, making it even harder to find a game.

No

Yes.

Especially if the system requirements are as bad or worse than AoE1:DE
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

well, that's assuming that the DE won't attract literally anyone new to the game, which I think it's safe to consider unlikely
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

Mitoe wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:

No

Yes.

Especially if the system requirements are as bad or worse than AoE1:DE

I don’t think the old version will exist outside of Gameranger so it will die a slow death anyways.
mad cuz bad
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

right, there will probably be no reason to maintain the old ESO, unless they merge the two :cry:
Tokelau jesus3
Jaeger

Post by jesus3 »

I'm gonna watch those guys and take my blessings back if they should screw up, so rest assured.