King of the Hill Mode

Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor
ESO: dansil92

King of the Hill Mode

Post by dansil92 »

I was wondering how this game mode is implemented from a map constraint perspective. Does this mode work the same with ESOC and UI Maps?
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Re: King of the Hill Mode

Post by EAGLEMUT »

Great question! King of the Hill functionality has been implemented on all ESOC maps with EP4, subsequently receiving a major balance pass with EP5 across all ESOC maps (mainly for 1v1, in anticipation of the Fort Frenzy tournament). Therefore, yes, it is fully implemented on all ESOC maps and available to be spectated using Aizamk's UI. Hopefully we'll see another King of the Hill event in the current grand tour season! :kinggreen:
Holy See Imperial Noob
Lancer

Post by Imperial Noob »

EAGLEMUT wrote:Great question! King of the Hill functionality has been implemented on all ESOC maps with EP4, subsequently receiving a major balance pass with EP5 across all ESOC maps (mainly for 1v1, in anticipation of the Fort Frenzy tournament). Therefore, yes, it is fully implemented on all ESOC maps and available to be spectated using Aizamk's UI. Hopefully we'll see another King of the Hill event in the current grand tour season! :kinggreen:

Last time many players ignored the hill of the king though. I wonder what can be done to make them less inclined to do so. Maybe something with spawning crates / other bonuses?
Australia robo
ESOC Media Team
ESO: robo_boro
Clan: sQad

Post by robo »

Imperial Noob wrote:
EAGLEMUT wrote:Great question! King of the Hill functionality has been implemented on all ESOC maps with EP4, subsequently receiving a major balance pass with EP5 across all ESOC maps (mainly for 1v1, in anticipation of the Fort Frenzy tournament). Therefore, yes, it is fully implemented on all ESOC maps and available to be spectated using Aizamk's UI. Hopefully we'll see another King of the Hill event in the current grand tour season! :kinggreen:

Last time many players ignored the hill of the king though. I wonder what can be done to make them less inclined to do so. Maybe something with spawning crates / other bonuses?

Something that is done in AoE2 is whoever controls the hill gets free resources (1 of each resource per second). This makes fighting for the middle incredibly worthwhile, and leaving a player to control the middle freely leads to them gaining huge power spikes.

This could be replicated with crates spawning every x seconds as you mentioned.
Holy See Imperial Noob
Lancer

Post by Imperial Noob »

The main dilemma was that if someone is able to push the hill, they could as well push the base
Maybe the hill should be both lucrative and quite far away, so that players have to gamble with their army a bit
Great Britain Interjection
Howdah
Donator 04
ESO: Interjection

Post by Interjection »

Crates spawn at the hill using Tiny FFA logic 8-)
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor
ESO: dansil92

Post by dansil92 »

The hill could have trickle logic like the campaign treasure ships or, like @Interjection says above, crates appearing at the fort would make pushing the fort even more rewarding as ungathered crates can fall to you and vills will be there meaning you can pick some off too.

Thank you @EAGLEMUT for getting back to me woth specifics!
United States of America Squamiger
Howdah
ESO: Squamiger

Post by Squamiger »

Imperial Noob wrote:The main dilemma was that if someone is able to push the hill, they could as well push the base
Maybe the hill should be both lucrative and quite far away, so that players have to gamble with their army a bit

I like this idea a lot-- like the RE map Mongolia, where TCs are close together on the bottom, and the trading post is far north, so if you want to push the trading post line you better be sure you can handle your opponent rushing your base.
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

Imperial Noob wrote:

Did they? I don't think this was even much of an issue last time. If you ignore it and the other player doesn't, you just lose the game automatically; that seems like a big incentive already.
Holy See Imperial Noob
Lancer

Post by Imperial Noob »

EAGLEMUT wrote:
Imperial Noob wrote:

Did they? I don't think this was even much of an issue last time. If you ignore it and the other player doesn't, you just lose the game automatically; that seems like a big incentive already.

They did. There were lots of complaints that people are playing just like normal 1v1. IIRC Kaiser's games are a good example.