User avatar
Great Britain Riotcoke
ESOC Media Team
Posts: 1602
ESO: Riotcoke
Location: Best County in the UK

24 Jun 2019, 14:07

_RDX_ wrote:
Riotcoke wrote:Honestly I understand why you made this, but people are giving you tips and you're just ignoring them while going onto crying and saying you're quitting. What is the point of making a thread asking for help if you just dismiss what people are saying ?


_RDX_ wrote:I don't mean to disrespect but thank you all for giving these tips. I understood that this game requires a special skill which i don't. I already did what you ppl say or i can't. Thank you very much @Diarouga for reading my posts when no one gave a shit. I apologize to all the members of this community to whom i behaved badly and i wish them good luck. I felt happy being a part of this community. I am sad to say that I am quitting this game for my good and everyone's good because i don't deserve playing it. Who knows? Maybe i'll meet you on AoE 4, if it releases. Until then, good bye. Thank you for your time.


I didn't dismiss what they said, I'm saying that I may not have enough skill to do what they say and I never cried when bad things happened to me, I always laugh at my situation, That's what makes me who i am. If i can't improve, well then screw it, i'll laugh at myself and just move on with another game like Dota 2 and wait for AoE 4. I'm deeply inspired by Charlie Chaplin :love: .


supahons wrote:Why did i even write this? - you start a thread and then you say you want to quit again ;) anyway gl


Don't worry, I'm quitting this time for sure, I mean it.

RFijo wrote:stop lamming india and u improve your skills dealing with india lamers


No, I don't think i 'lamme' with india, i'm just good with that civ. I also play brits and dutch and dealt with india and otto lamers(of my level). Well it is useless talking about it now. I'm over.


Remember that not everyone has to be great at games, not everyone is going to be like the G.
Image
User avatar
France bwinner
Howdah
Donator 01
Posts: 1067
ESO: bwinner

24 Jun 2019, 14:16

yeah if everyone is good, no one is ;)
For my part I have stopped trying to improve for a long time and I still enjoy playing.
Image
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Musketeer
Posts: 62

24 Jun 2019, 14:17

Improving doesn't just happen by playing games. Just look at our friend piroshiki. You kinda need to set goals consciously and work towards them. I'd recommend working hard on the basics; these will be important throughout the game and having bad basics will just limit or cap your growth. I'd look into and/or practise the following things:

- get a wired at least decent quality mouse and a good mousepad. This can make a big difference.
- practice aimbooster a bit. You don't need to be super fast or accurate with your mouse but it's convenient for you to be able to reliably click on units. I used to struggle targetting pikes or other units because I just didn't have the speed and accuracy for it. Once I got good gear and practiced a bit I felt much more at ease doing it.
- Make your hotkey set up efficient and ergonomic. I'd advice putting all the important hotkeys on the left side of the keyboard. Make sure you don't actually have to really move your hand around at all to hit hotkeys as that's inefficient. I used to hit control with my thumb and then the number with my index finger to make a control group, but that requires you to rotate your hand and stuff which is pretty messy. I practiced a lot to get used to using my pinky and changed the hotkeys so that shift + number creates the control group. This is much more efficient. There are a lot of little things like that which can really help you
- Practice actually using hotkeys. No more clicking on buildings or units that you want to train, only hotkeys. It's much faster.
- I'd recommend getting used to using the "select all of the same type" hotkey to manage your control groups. You don't have to move your screen that way, it's awesome.
- On the topic of control groups: use them, and use them in a consistent way. Barracks always on the same group, stables always on the same group, ranged infantry always on the same group, ranged cav on the same group, hand cav on the same group. If you just have hussars and nothing else don't put them on control group 1 where you normally put your skirms because that will end up confusing you a bit. I always put my hussars on control group 3, just like how I actually always put fast raid like units on control group 3 in starcraft or cavalry on control group 3 in sc2. Consistency will make you faster in the long run.
- it's actually nice to change control groups 6-9 to places that are more accesible on the keyboard, like the f keys if you can reach them or for example on the qwerty row.
- make sure you are consistently creating villagers and macroing well. Practise build orders against the computer to get a feeling for the villager distribution. Shitty macro will consistently lose you games no matter how good your strategy is.

You should try to nail these things and become a mechanical powerhouse. If your basics are good you'll have a solid foundation to improve a lot. As a bit of an anecdote, I started playing guitar at a pretty young age and the first thing I was taught was to get the basics right. I didn't play songs for the first months at all, I just practiced stuff on open strings and my guitar teacher insisted that I needed to get all the basics perfect. Some 15 years later and I'm still benefitting from the fact that my basic technique is pretty much perfect. My RTS basics are probably pretty good too, so I can for example do pretty well at aoe3 or get diamond in sc2 with little effort or tryharding just because I am building on efficient mechanics. I once played a friend in a 1v1 in aoe2, first time I played that game online and I actually stomped the guy just because mechanically I was doing much better than he was. I was literally alt tabbing to follow some standard build order I found online while playing and asking the friend what units I needed to counter stuff because I didn't know any of that, yet I still won. Granted that the guy is pretty mediocre at the game but it still shows how much basic mechanics matter.
Australia Kawapasaka
Dragoon
Donator 06
Posts: 456
ESO: skirmisher1380
Location: Shitney

24 Jun 2019, 14:18

Being good is not for everyone

spoiler
User avatar
France [Armag] diarouga
Gendarme
NWC LAN Gold
Posts: 9565
ESO: diarouga
Location: France

24 Jun 2019, 14:19

bwinner1 wrote:yeah if everyone is good, no one is ;)
For my part I have stopped trying to improve because I don't need to. After all, why would I try hard when I can just play botto?

Fixed it.
User avatar
Great Britain Riotcoke
ESOC Media Team
Posts: 1602
ESO: Riotcoke
Location: Best County in the UK

24 Jun 2019, 14:23

Also it's worthwhile to think about, if you've above like pr20 you're better than average at least :D
Image
User avatar
No Flag ovi12
Jaeger
Posts: 4319

24 Jun 2019, 14:26

It seems to be like there are 2 types of good players; those who play standard and strive to be the best at macro/micro, like Garja, and those who try to win bigger picture, like Somppu or Boneng (and of course, the really top players, like Mitoe, strive to combine both).

I'm not a good player so maybe I am completely wrong. But if I wanted to try and become one, I think I would prioritize watching my own recs to see what went wrong. In game, you think you may know what went wrong, but I think seeing it a second time, and especially from the other player's perspective as well, will be much more enlightening. You will not only see where you got punished, you will also see where you could have got punished but your opponent didn't take the opportunities. So you will learn the weaknesses of your build/playstyle, you will know what and when to hide, etc.
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
User avatar
India _RDX_
Lancer
Posts: 663
ESO: _RDX_

24 Jun 2019, 14:29

@RefluxSemantic I appreciate your write up, It is really useful. Just add one more thing, For hotkeys, i use F1, F2, F3 buttons for control groups 5, 6, 7 which can be assigned to buildings...tc, rax, stable and for the groups 1, 2, 3 , i use the same keys.... for inf, anti cav, artillery etc., so that i make sure that all control groups are accessible closely to my left hand. I hope this thread helps other ppl like me, if they exist.
Image
User avatar
Austria supahons
Dragoon
Posts: 336
ESO: supahons

24 Jun 2019, 14:31

_RDX_ wrote:
supahons wrote:Why did i even write this? - you start a thread and then you say you want to quit again ;) anyway gl

Don't worry, I'm quitting this time for sure, I mean it.


I started writing it, then i did something else and came back later to finish it - in the meantime you decided to quit - that's why i added the text.
It's your decision.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Musketeer
Posts: 62

24 Jun 2019, 14:45

ovi12 wrote:It seems to be like there are 2 types of good players; those who play standard and strive to be the best at macro/micro, like Garja, and those who try to win bigger picture, like Somppu or Boneng (and of course, the really top players, like Mitoe, strive to combine both).

I'm not a good player so maybe I am completely wrong. But if I wanted to try and become one, I think I would prioritize watching my own recs to see what went wrong. In game, you think you may know what went wrong, but I think seeing it a second time, and especially from the other player's perspective as well, will be much more enlightening. You will not only see where you got punished, you will also see where you could have got punished but your opponent didn't take the opportunities. So you will learn the weaknesses of your build/playstyle, you will know what and when to hide, etc.

Garja's mentality is just a handicap. He's basically a good scrub. The real competitive mindset is to play to win and do anything to maximize your chances of winning.
User avatar
United States of America Squamiger
Skirmisher
Posts: 142
ESO: Squamiger

24 Jun 2019, 15:02

RefluxSemantic wrote:Garja's mentality is just a handicap. He's basically a good scrub. The real competitive mindset is to play to win and do anything to maximize your chances of winning.


how does having good micro/macro make you a scrub, in the way that that link means? i read it, I just don't get how it applies
ajabu ya kondoo kucheka kioo
User avatar
No Flag ovi12
Jaeger
Posts: 4319

24 Jun 2019, 15:10

RefluxSemantic wrote:
ovi12 wrote:It seems to be like there are 2 types of good players; those who play standard and strive to be the best at macro/micro, like Garja, and those who try to win bigger picture, like Somppu or Boneng (and of course, the really top players, like Mitoe, strive to combine both).

I'm not a good player so maybe I am completely wrong. But if I wanted to try and become one, I think I would prioritize watching my own recs to see what went wrong. In game, you think you may know what went wrong, but I think seeing it a second time, and especially from the other player's perspective as well, will be much more enlightening. You will not only see where you got punished, you will also see where you could have got punished but your opponent didn't take the opportunities. So you will learn the weaknesses of your build/playstyle, you will know what and when to hide, etc.

Garja's mentality is just a handicap. He's basically a good scrub. The real competitive mindset is to play to win and do anything to maximize your chances of winning.

Yeah, and honestly I am significantly a scrub, not only in AOE but also important real life stuff like solving math problems (I do math in uni.). I'm glad I now know a game for it. I know being a scrub is not good, because in the times I mananged not to be, I was a lot more sucesfull I think. So I am trying to change this about myself, and I think I'm making some small progress, but it's really hard for some reason; the feeling of "looking down" on the other ways is still there even though I don't want it to be.
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
User avatar
No Flag ovi12
Jaeger
Posts: 4319

24 Jun 2019, 15:12

Squamiger wrote:
RefluxSemantic wrote:Garja's mentality is just a handicap. He's basically a good scrub. The real competitive mindset is to play to win and do anything to maximize your chances of winning.


how does having good micro/macro make you a scrub, in the way that that link means? i read it, I just don't get how it applies

Well aiming for good micro/macro in itself does not make him a scrub. It's just that he has an idea of how the game "should" be played, and he believes 100% that if everything is done right, a player who plays that way has just about a 100% chance of winning. And nothing seems to change his mind.
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
User avatar
Great Britain Riotcoke
ESOC Media Team
Posts: 1602
ESO: Riotcoke
Location: Best County in the UK

24 Jun 2019, 15:21

Any word out of Garja's mouth is gospel, you guys are just being blasphemous.
Image
User avatar
Italy Garja
ESOC Maps Team
Donator 02
Posts: 7534
ESO: Garja

24 Jun 2019, 15:26

RefluxSemantic wrote:
ovi12 wrote:It seems to be like there are 2 types of good players; those who play standard and strive to be the best at macro/micro, like Garja, and those who try to win bigger picture, like Somppu or Boneng (and of course, the really top players, like Mitoe, strive to combine both).

I'm not a good player so maybe I am completely wrong. But if I wanted to try and become one, I think I would prioritize watching my own recs to see what went wrong. In game, you think you may know what went wrong, but I think seeing it a second time, and especially from the other player's perspective as well, will be much more enlightening. You will not only see where you got punished, you will also see where you could have got punished but your opponent didn't take the opportunities. So you will learn the weaknesses of your build/playstyle, you will know what and when to hide, etc.

Garja's mentality is just a handicap. He's basically a good scrub. The real competitive mindset is to play to win and do anything to maximize your chances of winning.

Lmao at the bs and linking articles I read like 5 years before you. You'd be surprised how much I can lame if I really want to embrace the play to win mindset.
User avatar
France [Armag] diarouga
Gendarme
NWC LAN Gold
Posts: 9565
ESO: diarouga
Location: France

24 Jun 2019, 15:31

Even when you do so you lose to everybody.
User avatar
No Flag ovi12
Jaeger
Posts: 4319

24 Jun 2019, 15:32

Garja wrote:
RefluxSemantic wrote:
ovi12 wrote:It seems to be like there are 2 types of good players; those who play standard and strive to be the best at macro/micro, like Garja, and those who try to win bigger picture, like Somppu or Boneng (and of course, the really top players, like Mitoe, strive to combine both).

I'm not a good player so maybe I am completely wrong. But if I wanted to try and become one, I think I would prioritize watching my own recs to see what went wrong. In game, you think you may know what went wrong, but I think seeing it a second time, and especially from the other player's perspective as well, will be much more enlightening. You will not only see where you got punished, you will also see where you could have got punished but your opponent didn't take the opportunities. So you will learn the weaknesses of your build/playstyle, you will know what and when to hide, etc.

Garja's mentality is just a handicap. He's basically a good scrub. The real competitive mindset is to play to win and do anything to maximize your chances of winning.

Lmao at the bs and linking articles I read like 5 years before you. You'd be surprised how much I can lame if I really want to embrace the play to win mindset.

But that's the point, you don't "lame"; and yet it seems like you still try to win. That's the definition of a scrub.
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
User avatar
Armenia Sargsyan
Jaeger
Donator 01
Posts: 2062
ESO: Sargsyan
Location: Armenia
GameRanger ID: 2106182

24 Jun 2019, 15:33

Garja wrote:
RefluxSemantic wrote:
ovi12 wrote:It seems to be like there are 2 types of good players; those who play standard and strive to be the best at macro/micro, like Garja, and those who try to win bigger picture, like Somppu or Boneng (and of course, the really top players, like Mitoe, strive to combine both).

I'm not a good player so maybe I am completely wrong. But if I wanted to try and become one, I think I would prioritize watching my own recs to see what went wrong. In game, you think you may know what went wrong, but I think seeing it a second time, and especially from the other player's perspective as well, will be much more enlightening. You will not only see where you got punished, you will also see where you could have got punished but your opponent didn't take the opportunities. So you will learn the weaknesses of your build/playstyle, you will know what and when to hide, etc.

Garja's mentality is just a handicap. He's basically a good scrub. The real competitive mindset is to play to win and do anything to maximize your chances of winning.

Lmao at the bs and linking articles I read like 5 years before you. You'd be surprised how much I can lame if I really want to embrace the play to win mindset.

A scrub would disagree with this though.
User avatar
Italy Garja
ESOC Maps Team
Donator 02
Posts: 7534
ESO: Garja

24 Jun 2019, 15:37

Ye sure. A scrub who's 10pr better, but ok :lol:
User avatar
Italy Garja
ESOC Maps Team
Donator 02
Posts: 7534
ESO: Garja

24 Jun 2019, 15:37

ovi12 wrote:
Garja wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Lmao at the bs and linking articles I read like 5 years before you. You'd be surprised how much I can lame if I really want to embrace the play to win mindset.

But that's the point, you don't "lame"; and yet it seems like you still try to win. That's the definition of a scrub.

Tell me from what you get this impression. I mean make concrete examples.
User avatar
No Flag ovi12
Jaeger
Posts: 4319

24 Jun 2019, 15:42

Garja wrote:
ovi12 wrote:
Show hidden quotes

But that's the point, you don't "lame"; and yet it seems like you still try to win. That's the definition of a scrub.

Tell me from what you get this impression. I mean make concrete examples.

I don't have any concrete examples, because afaik you never said "I try to win". But you seem to get very mad when losing, you compete in tournaments, you take the admin decision when you can in tournaments. These are just the things I came up with in a few seconds, and in my opinion they all point to you wanting to win; they are not characteristic of a player who is playing "just for fun".
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
User avatar
Italy Garja
ESOC Maps Team
Donator 02
Posts: 7534
ESO: Garja

24 Jun 2019, 15:47

I just don't play for fun of course, let alone in tourneys. Obviously lot of ladder games are just for fun and you can tell by the variety of civs and strats I play. But that has nothing to do with not laming. I guess you should first tell me what you mean by laming.
Switzerland bobabu
Lancer
Posts: 919

24 Jun 2019, 15:51

Just let Hazza Hari Kari and you will always win
User avatar
No Flag ovi12
Jaeger
Posts: 4319

24 Jun 2019, 15:57

Garja wrote:I just don't play for fun of course, let alone in tourneys. Obviously lot of ladder games are just for fun and you can tell by the variety of civs and strats I play. But that has nothing to do with not laming. I guess you should first tell me what you mean by laming.

Well I am leaving the definition of "laming" up to you. All I need is that your restrict yourself in some artificial way, which according to your own admission, you do. The only other part is that you play to win, which I have argued for and it seems like you might agree with as well. This is all you need to define a scrub. I am a scrub too, not only in this game but at other things as well. However, for years now I have been trying to change; it was pretty easy for me to change in this game (even though I still have some scrub residue sometimes), but at other things I'm still having a hard time.
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
User avatar
India Frost Bite
Dragoon
Posts: 300
ESO: ContainsCaffeine
Location: India
GameRanger ID: 3243371

24 Jun 2019, 16:10

_RDX_ wrote:I can see so many triggered ppl with a lot of toxicity. idk, Is saying 'I felt happy for being part of this community' wrong? Is bidding a 'good bye' wrong?

Internet... why take it serious..
World War 3 is inevitable, Run for your lives, fools

Forum Info

Return to “General”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest