How do i just 'improve'?

India Ashvin
Retired Contributor
ESO: Octanium

Re: How do i just 'improve'?

Post by Ashvin »

_RDX_ wrote:
Kazamkikaz wrote:what type of keyboard you use? you play on laptop or what?

Well yeah, i play on a laptop. Is there a problem?

I think yes, what are the specs?
Brazil macacoalbino
Howdah
ESO: MacacoAlbino
Clan: 3Huss

Post by macacoalbino »

Dude, if you really want to improve you gotta lose a lot and find in each loss what is the thing you're doing wrong. Sometimes you'll be clueless and studying your games and talking about it with other people will help you figure out where your game is failing. Usually though in lower levels it's just a matter of macroing and going for strong timings. Usually picking a single civ to practice and learning all the possible timings for it will help you figure out the game a bit easier than just switching them all the time

India _RDX_
Lancer
ESO: _RDX_

Post by _RDX_ »

Ashvin wrote:I think yes, what are the specs?

Intel Core 2 Duo and Intel integrated graphics :biggrin: I know the specs is kind of old but the game is old too. Also, I run the game on lowest graphic settings, I think i don't have any problem with that... It is running smoothly.
oranges.
United States of America Papist
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Papist

Post by Papist »

According to your ESO profile, you've only played 313 rated games since you created your account (and I'm guessing not all of those are 1v1). Now compare that to the thousands of games logged by most top players. While watching recs and learning from your mistakes is definitely important, you also need to prepared to put a lot of hours into this game if you want to reach the highest level.
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
India _RDX_
Lancer

Post by _RDX_ »

NOPENOPENOPENOPE...... y0u DoNt KnOW mY sEcRet sMUrfs.
oranges.
India Ashvin
Retired Contributor
ESO: Octanium

Post by Ashvin »

_RDX_ wrote:
Ashvin wrote:I think yes, what are the specs?

Intel Core 2 Duo and Intel integrated graphics :biggrin: I know the specs is kind of old but the game is old too. Also, I run the game on lowest graphic settings, I think i don't have any problem with that... It is running smoothly.

Many times, hardware upgrade directly translates to increase in player rating. While it may not be a hard and fast rule but I have seen it working with me. But I think if you are not improving, its because you are trying very hard at it mentally and then getting frustrated. Chill out, take small breaks between your games, think about what you could have done better in the last game.
India _RDX_
Lancer

Post by _RDX_ »

Ashvin wrote:Many times, hardware upgrade directly translates to increase in player rating. While it may not be a hard and fast rule but I have seen it working with me. But I think if you are not improving, I thinks its because you are trying very hard at it mentally and then getting frustrated. Chill out, take small breaks between your games, think about what you could have done better in the last game.

Yeah, I'll try that, thanks.
oranges.
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor
ECL Reigning ChampsDonator 01
ESO: Riotcoke
Clan: UwU

Post by Riotcoke »

Another tip is to just play against better players. You might lose PR but you'll learn more and not stagnate into bad habits that work in lower ranks.

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
Germany yemshi
Jaeger
ESO: yemshi

Post by yemshi »

Portugal Kazamkikaz
Dragoon
ESO: Kazamkikaz

Post by Kazamkikaz »

_RDX_ wrote:

i mean my laptop the function keys is combined with volume etc so i cant make control groups with f1 f2 etc
My Youtube channel

"If you can't win the fight
don't take the fight"-Aizamk 2016
India Challenger_Marco
ESOC Media Team
ESO: challenger_marco

Post by Challenger_Marco »

Kazamkikaz wrote:
_RDX_ wrote:

i mean my laptop the function keys is combined with volume etc so i cant make control groups with f1 f2 etc

Same problem I really think a separate keyboard is better I'm planning to buy one.
:nwc:
New Zealand ocemilky
Dragoon
ESO: Motch | Milky__

Post by ocemilky »

Haven't read the whole thread but the easiest way to improve in any game is to watch pros. Just watch streams whenever you can. Best are tournaments as you ften have casters to break it all down. Watching NWC taught me so much new strategy and I also didnt think of the 'pull trick' on units and that has been amazing to use recently.
sergyou wrote:i won't even bother reply to ur posts anymore and id like u to the same and not quote me
howlingwolfpaw wrote:cognitive dissonance is what people suffer from when refusing to look at 9/11 truth.
Austria Jerimuno
Advanced Player
ESO: Jerimuno
GameRanger ID: 9241516

Post by Jerimuno »

You should be careful with watching content like the NWC LAN event and trying to apply strategies which you've seen there though.

A lot of the games played in that particular event were rather unstandard, and players chose rather delicate strats for certain reason, which most likely won't apply when you try to recreate them. That's why I think learning what is meta or standard play with one or two civs, and trying to get decent with that is what most people should go for at first in order to "just improve".
New Zealand ocemilky
Dragoon

Post by ocemilky »

I agree with that Jerimuno. A lot of strategies arent for every game. But nonetheless still there to learn from and like I mentioned I picked up the pull trick after 5 min of tuning in. There's so much value when casters are there to explain what something is and why it's good in this particular situation.

Watching top players just play is the next best thing.
sergyou wrote:i won't even bother reply to ur posts anymore and id like u to the same and not quote me
howlingwolfpaw wrote:cognitive dissonance is what people suffer from when refusing to look at 9/11 truth.
Brazil macacoalbino
Howdah
ESO: MacacoAlbino
Clan: 3Huss

Post by macacoalbino »

ocemilky wrote:.... But nonetheless still there to learn from and like I mentioned I picked up the pull trick after 5 min of tuning in. ...

And some people think this requires skill :hehe:

New Zealand ocemilky
Dragoon

Post by ocemilky »

Hehe. More about reaction timings than skill
Brazil Luciofrancosi
Skirmisher
ESO: luciofrancosi

Post by Luciofrancosi »

One thing that appears to be working for me is taking regular breaks from the game too!! Taking a few days off, maybe even a couple of weeks may make you a bit sloppy but it gives you a lot of clarity!!

I play now like 2 or 3 times a week and I feel that I am improving a lot faster than I was back when I played 4h per day 7 days a week!!
"Supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting"

Sun Tzu - The art of war
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

Jerimuno wrote:You should be careful with watching content like the NWC LAN event and trying to apply strategies which you've seen there though.

A lot of the games played in that particular event were rather unstandard, and players chose rather delicate strats for certain reason, which most likely won't apply when you try to recreate them. That's why I think learning what is meta or standard play with one or two civs, and trying to get decent with that is what most people should go for at first in order to "just improve".

This also illustrates why it's a good idea to try to understand why you do specific things in each build order, instead of just copying the build orders themselves. Understanding why you want to send 700w or 5v first or second etc. can give you a better idea of how to adapt your build in other situations and come up with your own builds.
Brazil marcos kratos
Crossbow

Post by marcos kratos »

I stagnated between 31-33 pr I can not get out of this for some 2 years xD
Portugal Kazamkikaz
Dragoon
ESO: Kazamkikaz

Re:

Post by Kazamkikaz »

marcos kratos wrote:I stagnated between 31-33 pr I can not get out of this for some 2 years xD

KKKK time for unstandard ideas
My Youtube channel

"If you can't win the fight
don't take the fight"-Aizamk 2016