11%

Total votes: 56

United States of America musketeer925
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: musketeer925

Two Town Supremacy

Post by musketeer925 »

In general, how do people feel the two town format? I felt like it added a lot more options for players and more depth to age 1 than just "who gets better treasures?" -- you actually have to decide whether to invest in full eco or idle some of your TCs before aging up. Games go slightly longer, reaching industrial slightly more often, more age 1 shipments are viable, and it feels more like the way the game was meant to be played in some sense.

Is civ balance totally ruined? Are the extra "options" we saw today really just because the meta didn't have time to stabilize? Is it a superior format to regular supremacy? Was Otto ban unwarranted?

Was it just a fun experiment, or is this the one true format?
Turkey Mameluke
Dragoon
ESO: Mameluké

Re: Two Town Supremacy

Post by Mameluke »

1. It makes the game more dynamic which I like.
2. Civ balance is really ruined somewhat, Ottoman and France outstanding and Japan for example seems to suck (if you look at stats).
3. I wouldnt say its superior, but definitely something good as a variety.
If you see any mistakes in my grammar/vocabulary or whatever, please correct me. I really appreciate it :!: :flowers:
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

I wouldn't like to see this again. Civ balance made civs like india/dutch absolutely terrible because of bad gathering rates. And for example fre has 1 min faster ff than iro with better eco.
Also, same maps and same match ups made it a little bit boring.
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by musketeer925 »

somppukunkku wrote:I wouldn't like to see this again. Civ balance made civs like india/dutch absolutely terrible because of bad gathering rates. And for example fre has 1 min faster ff than iro with better eco.
Also, same maps and same match ups made it a little bit boring.

Civ balance does seem like it coud be an issue (no big surprise since the game wasn't balanced with this in mind).

I agree that the map pool could have used some more diversity. BO1's resulted in a lot of the same map, so the BO1 maps for sure shouldn't have been re-used in later rounds IMO. However this was more the tournament format than the Two Town format, which is a different discussion than what I intended for this thread.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

I think if AOE3 originally started like this, the game would be more interesting.
However, I think it would take years to find a decent civ balance to make this format legit for all civs.
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by musketeer925 »

somppukunkku wrote:I think if AOE3 originally started like this, the game would be more interesting.
However, I think it would take years to find a decent civ balance to make this format legit for all civs.

Yeah, this is kind of how I feel about it.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

2 TCs from start is overkill. +1 TC limit per age is ok but it fucks over port bonus.
Image Image Image
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor
ECL Reigning ChampsDonator 01
ESO: Riotcoke
Clan: UwU

Post by Riotcoke »

Garja wrote:2 TCs from start is overkill. +1 TC limit per age is ok but it fucks over port bonus.

I mean 2 tcs from the start was the whole point +1tc limit per age wouldn't make a huge difference so you wouldn't see the flavour.

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

It would make huge difference.
Image Image Image
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

I actually like garja's idea.
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

It is a fun experiment, but I don't see it coming back in any future tournaments unless Escape enjoyed it substantially more than I did. Most games seemed to turn into NR10s with the one unique tower TC rush.
Great Britain Interjection
Howdah
Donator 04
ESO: Interjection

Post by Interjection »

I thoroughly enjoyed today, was great fun casting. Seems like an interesting format with a lot of depth, particularly in age 1 as mentioned. But I wouldn't want make it a regular thing.
China Zeke
Dragoon
ESO: XYH

Post by Zeke »

Was a new format and there were some other options rather than the fixed and usual one in normal patch. However, idk but it seems to benefit European civs more which on the other hand hurts Asian civs (Asian civs usually get advantage with their wonders and their eco are somewhat based on non-villager stuffs, while European civs mainly get eco from villagers) It can be proved by the high use/win rate of French, Brit, Port and Russia (probably also Otto if it's not banned)
China Zeke
Dragoon
ESO: XYH

Post by Zeke »

On the normal patch European civs only get more TC till fortress age and takes long time to build one so it takes longer time to benefit from that TC. Also at that time the natural resources went low and map control can make new TC less efficiently. I think we should enable the European villagers (settlers) to build TC or let the explorer build TC faster like the cover wagon does.
No Flag nono12
Crossbow

Post by nono12 »

Garja wrote:2 TCs from start is overkill. +1 TC limit per age is ok but it fucks over port bonus.

Then age 1 u can have 2 tcs, 3 tcs age 2 etc... or 1tc age 1, 2 tc age 2 etc... ?
No Flag nono12
Crossbow

Post by nono12 »

Or 2 tcs max till age 3 and then 4 tcs max
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Just remove the build limit. Build limit is lazy design. "Oh we can't balance this unit so let's just limit it, that way it can be OP but can't be abused".
TCs aren't even that good anyway. If you remove the limit it's not like people will start building them everywhere. And if they do, you increase cost.
Great Britain Interjection
Howdah
Donator 04
ESO: Interjection

Post by Interjection »

I'd quite like to try a format at some point where there is no TC build limit and they can be built from age 1. Might be fun
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Goodspeed wrote:Just remove the build limit. Build limit is lazy design. "Oh we can't balance this unit so let's just limit it, that way it can be OP but can't be abused".
TCs aren't even that good anyway. If you remove the limit it's not like people will start building them everywhere. And if they do, you increase cost.

incrementally.
No Flag Djigit
Howdah

Post by Djigit »

If it's feasible, I'd like to see a format where the game speed is between normal and fast.
Sweden tabben
Lancer
EWTNWC LAN Bronze
ESO: tabben

Post by tabben »

somppukunkku wrote: And for example fre has 1 min faster ff than iro

Just curious, what do you even base this statement on? When did you test this? I just hope you're not referring to our iro vs france game in the tourney, please tell me if that's the case :biggrin:
France bwinner
Howdah
Donator 01
ESO: bwinner

Post by bwinner »

This kind of ideas are interesting because you really need to prepare some builds. We have seen that people who hadn't builds prepared like raphael or myself stood no chance (That's why I was so fed up with the last second Otto ban).
However I prefered by far the double shipments SmackDown patch if we had to do this kind of stuff again. Mostly because here it's macro is top important while in 2xshipments you could do more interesting builds. Anyway for fuck sake don't change the rules just befor the tourney start.
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

Thank you for hosting the tournament and the smackdown, it was extremely entertaining.

With that said, judging it as a smackdown, it was probably my least favorite one. It wasn't as exciting as the double shipments or the factory start; the thing that I really liked most were the Ceylon games; I would rather take those with 1 TC over any other games with 2 TC's.
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

This experiment was one of the most fun and well designed smackdown ideas yet. I really enjoyed seeing how 10 extra pop and a free map control building was skewing builds and opening up new possibilities.

We should really have these smackdown patches be online for 2 or 3 weeks before changing the new rule. Like Hearthstone whatever it's called
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

bwinner1 wrote:This kind of ideas are interesting because you really need to prepare some builds. We have seen that people who hadn't builds prepared like raphael or myself stood no chance (That's why I was so fed up with the last second Otto ban).
However I prefered by far the double shipments SmackDown patch if we had to do this kind of stuff again. Mostly because here it's macro is top important while in 2xshipments you could do more interesting builds. Anyway for fuck sake don't change the rules just befor the tourney start.

Builds as india :uglylol:

The biggest mistake Raphael did was clicking India without thinking about the math.
Food gathers more than 50% faster than India gathers wood. I just checked the record. Raphael is basically training vills from 1 TC first 2 and half minutes. Simply because you can't afford more. At some point Raphael understands that if he doesn't start gathering food instead of wood, aging up takes simply forever. 800 food, place wonder, and after you still can't really afford 2 TC production.

300w? Terrible, you don't get a free vill. Basically having xp penalty for nothing. You even have to replace it with trickle because TP is impossible.
Outcome? Raphael ages up around 10 vills less than opponent, only slightly faster age up. The snowball is ready to start rolling.

Ps. Rapha if you read this, get discount bombards with GFA next time.