A Proposal to automate Livestock Pens

Serbia ShinkuroYukinari
Dragoon
ESO: ShinkuroYukinari
Clan: BANIN

A Proposal to automate Livestock Pens

Post by ShinkuroYukinari »

Hello!
As we are all aware, Livestock Pens are rarely used as a food source, except in some niche situations or as Britain, cause Fulling.
From my perspective, one of the main issues is that a food economy based on Pens can easily be crippled if the player forgets to refresh them, making Mills more desirable as you just build the thing, place the Settlers and off you go!

An idea I came up with is this:
All Pens and similar buildings get an option to activate or de-activate automatic production of certain livestock.
If activated, a trickle is introduced, similar to the Ottoman Settlers.
Once X seconds pass, if the cap isn't reached and you have enough food, 1 of that livestock spawns and the appropriate food is deducted. Say, 1 sheep and -100 food every 10 seconds.
This way in the mid-late game, if a player establishes a food eco using Pens, he can activate the trickle and, provided he doesn't end up idling some Settlers due to putting too many on Herding, he can rely on those Settlers working nonstop, thereby being able to focus more on other parts of the game, like the big battle going on, for which you need constant reinforcements.
Assuming it can be coded, it can make Livestock more practical to use by preventing the issue of having your food eco be crippled because in the heat of battle you forgot to refresh the Sheep.

I would like to hear your opinions on this and what could be improved!
My signature was removed, MOD ABUSE!
Austria supahons
Dragoon
ESO: supahons

Re: A Proposal to automate Livestock Pens

Post by supahons »

Livestock isn't good in supremacy (https://eso-community.net/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=15822)
and in treaty it's a skill - no need to change imo.
India Frost Bite
Dragoon
ESO: ContainsCaffeine
GameRanger ID: 3243371

Post by Frost Bite »

Strategy games are named so.. because it requires immense attention, the ability to react and take decisions. Focussin on livestock whilst killing enemy units is what that seperates a pro from a mediocre player.
World War 3 is inevitable, Run for your lives, fools
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

sounds like farm automation in AoE2 — it should be given a shot in the III DE
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Post by zoom »

Decreasing building cost might make sense, for starters. Although it's unlikely to meaningfully impact viability.

Making this mechanic viable in supremacy is risky business. Maybe later on, down the road.

Regardless, an interesting thought!
United States of America Squamiger
Howdah
ESO: Squamiger

Post by Squamiger »

I feel like if you do this, then what becomes the functional difference between mills and livestock pens? Why have both? Right now, livestock pens provide more food but require a lot more attention and investment and time to pay off. It's a strategic choice that most players don't make in supremacy because hunts usually last till the game ends, and in treaty, it's a skill that separates winners from losers
Great Britain Interjection
Howdah
Donator 04
ESO: Interjection

Post by Interjection »

^
This is simply not true, I ran the maths a while ago. Livestock pens are just objectively terrible if you train animals from them. If you send some upgrades maybe it's okay but you'll probably lose the game not shipping crates and etc

https://eso-community.net/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=15822
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

well, you still get more food than on mills
some time ago, when I was still playing treaty at times, I wondered if it was worth it to go for livestock pens as a civ with no upgrades whatsoever, like the Germans — the overall balance should be positive
Holy See Imperial Noob
Lancer

Post by Imperial Noob »

Serbia in WOL has a sheepyard economy and players can operate it easily. It's a matter of viability.
Bhutan jgals
Lancer
ESO: OstiferButthole

Post by jgals »

Livestock is useful in supremacy. With Iroquois on Deccan, Mongolia etc it's actually OPAF. I have had great success sending filling instead of 3v if I have more than 5 animals in age 1. On Mongolia you have all cows fat by 7-8 min and can fitepit spam so many aenna it's unfair.

I wish you would make livestock automatically go to farm like they so pen. That's something that really need to be done