Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Spanish Interview: AoE3 DE Will Surprise You With Graphics

Post by EAGLEMUT »

https://www.reddit.com/r/aoe3/comments/ ... tion_will/

I believe this is the first official confirmation that the DE will look into graphics for AoE3.
momuuu wrote: theres no way eaglemut is truly a top player
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah
ESO: gamevideo113

Re: Spanish Interview: AoE3 DE Will Surprise You With Graphics

Post by gamevideo113 »

:cry: :cry:
[Some people aspire to be pr30+, some people aspire to have fun, and some people aspire to play 3v3 Deccan.] - vividlyplain - 2019 Who (nationality) rape ?
stupid logic. noob players can say op?
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

I will be very impressed if they can greatly improve them without changing the way the game feels.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Tbh aoe on full settings was already impressive. Making it work on the new high end cards and they dont need to do much more to impress gamers that dont play rpg's.
Australia wardyb1
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: wardyb1

Post by wardyb1 »

I thought the best they would do, is make the game run properly on new processors and graphics cards. Hopefully they don't over do it and make it feel unlike AOE3.
“To love the journey is to accept no such end. I have found, through painful experience, that the most important step a person can take is always the next one.”
Spain yoqpasa
Lancer
ESO: yoqpasa

Post by yoqpasa »

Link to the interview?

Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

momuuu wrote: theres no way eaglemut is truly a top player
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor
ECL Reigning ChampsDonator 01
ESO: Riotcoke
Clan: UwU

Post by Riotcoke »

By different graphics, do they mean the cartoony style that the other two des gave had?

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

I'm a bit more optimistic after reading more about what their general approach to remastering is. What they say is pretty much commonsense stuff and they show some flexibility in terms of which kind of audience they are targeting too. For example, they said they don't want to turn AOE games into an APM-focused game, like SC2, but they want to create game modes that would allow players who like fast-paced games to get into the game.

It's clear that their main focus will be to improve the game assets (textures, models, sounds, maybe even music too), game shaders and other GFX too. And tbh that's already a LOT of work, because that's what kept Ensemble busy for 3 years: it was the game assets, not the engine, the engine is 95% the same as the one from AOM, which had already been built before they started working on AOE3.

I think we should try to contact them as officially as we can to communicate which are the major bugs and exploits that plague this game, so that we don't discover when they ship the game that it looks great graphically, but functionally it hasn't solved those issues.
And maybe we should tell them they should consider adding regionally hosted game servers which could reduce lag if one player has a worse connection.

I hope they're not going to make the same mistake they made with previous remastered editions, which bumped up the graphics and managed to throttle the game engine until the gameplay became laggier than in the non-remastered version.
No Flag Djigit
Howdah

Post by Djigit »

As I'm fully proficient in Spanish thanks to AoE3, here's a rough translation:

[spoiler=Ahora me siento más fuerte]"We are faithful to the essence of the original, but we are open to faster game modes," Bert Beeckman and Adam Isgreen (directors of 'Age of Empires II DE')
Mario Merinowski
9-12 minutes

It's one of the most mythical strategy games of all time. 20 years later it comes back with an awaited remastering in 4K that far from being simply a graphic improvement is a remodeling to adapt the game to this new era. A new edition that will challenge to maintain the essence of the original and offer something new for those who enjoyed it at the time, to try it again.

During E3 2019 we had the opportunity to interview Bert Beeckman, director of 'Age of Empires II Definite Edition' and Adam Isgreen, its creative director. We asked them about the remastering process, what novelties and projects are expected for the future of the series and how they have managed to maintain the essence of the original RTS. Because if there's one thing the two directors know is about the spirit of 'Age of Empires', there's a reason they were chosen to lead this new project after triumphing with the excellent mod 'Forgotten Empires'.

I've been playing 'Age of Empires II' since Pentium III and I can't leave it.

AoE Definitive Edition': rescuing the essence of the original

What challenges have you faced with the Definitive Edition of the first Age of Empires, both in rescuing the original from 1997 and in introducing new elements that the original didn't have?

BB: That's a good question! Especially with the first AoE if you play it now it's a very old game in terms of controls, gameplay, mechanics is a bit imperfect... when people think of the first 'Age of Empires' and you tell them you're going to improve it they tell you that it's basically 'Age of Empires II' [laughs]. So what we wanted was to be as faithful as possible to the first 'Age of Empires' and at the same time optimise it as much as possible... to reach that balance. How much could we improve it and how much did we have to maintain the essence of the original? It's actually been a matter of constant debate within the team.

"When people think of the first 'Age of Empires' and tell them that you're going to improve it, they tell you that it's basically 'Age of Empires II'.

AI: We had to make a big effort to establish where to draw the line between keeping the original game without making it 'Age of Empires II' because a lot of the things we could do suddenly you realised that this would be 'Age of Empires II' and not at all, we didn't want to mix anything with AoE II. We wanted both games to be what they were and that's always a challenge when you make these new versions.

It's about finding that balance between what was good about the original game and what needs to be changed. Here you can see that we didn't want to change the battle mode, it's very good in AoE II, but there are a lot of related things and that's the kind of decision we had to make for that game. But it's something that changes with each game.

What did you learn from the first remastering?

BB: Let's see... Where to start?! I think one thing we definitely learned from the first remastering is what to play and what not to play. Being back at work we knew we were doing it again, for the second time. We knew what had to be done and we were willing to do it, and that's something that helped us a lot. Another thing we definitely learned was to keep the design of the original as faithful as possible to the silhouettes.[/spoiler]
United States of America Squamiger
Howdah
ESO: Squamiger

Post by Squamiger »

please don't make this game too graphically demanding on my poor old computer, i already can't play games like pubg, mordhau, or even the later Total War games :c
Armenia Sargsyan
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: lamergamer
Clan: c0ns

Post by Sargsyan »

Djigit wrote:As I'm fully proficient in Spanish thanks to AoE3, here's a rough translation:

[spoiler=Ahora me siento más fuerte]"We are faithful to the essence of the original, but we are open to faster game modes," Bert Beeckman and Adam Isgreen (directors of 'Age of Empires II DE')
Mario Merinowski
9-12 minutes

It's one of the most mythical strategy games of all time. 20 years later it comes back with an awaited remastering in 4K that far from being simply a graphic improvement is a remodeling to adapt the game to this new era. A new edition that will challenge to maintain the essence of the original and offer something new for those who enjoyed it at the time, to try it again.

During E3 2019 we had the opportunity to interview Bert Beeckman, director of 'Age of Empires II Definite Edition' and Adam Isgreen, its creative director. We asked them about the remastering process, what novelties and projects are expected for the future of the series and how they have managed to maintain the essence of the original RTS. Because if there's one thing the two directors know is about the spirit of 'Age of Empires', there's a reason they were chosen to lead this new project after triumphing with the excellent mod 'Forgotten Empires'.

What challenges have you faced with the Definitive Edition of the first Age of Empires, both in rescuing the original from 1997 and in introducing new elements that the original didn't have?

BB: That's a good question! Especially with the first AoE if you play it now it's a very old game in terms of controls, gameplay, mechanics is a bit imperfect... when people think of the first 'Age of Empires' and you tell them you're going to improve it they tell you that it's basically 'Age of Empires II' [laughs]. So what we wanted was to be as faithful as possible to the first 'Age of Empires' and at the same time optimise it as much as possible... to reach that balance. How much could we improve it and how much did we have to maintain the essence of the original? It's actually been a matter of constant debate within the team.

"When people think of the first 'Age of Empires' and tell them that you're going to improve it, they tell you that it's basically 'Age of Empires II'.

AI: We had to make a big effort to establish where to draw the line between keeping the original game without making it 'Age of Empires II' because a lot of the things we could do suddenly you realised that this would be 'Age of Empires II' and not at all, we didn't want to mix anything with AoE II. We wanted both games to be what they were and that's always a challenge when you make these new versions.

It's about finding that balance between what was good about the original game and what needs to be changed. Here you can see that we didn't want to change the battle mode, it's very good in AoE II, but there are a lot of related things and that's the kind of decision we had to make for that game. But it's something that changes with each game.

BB: Let's see... Where to start?! I think one thing we definitely learned from the first remastering is what to play and what not to play. Being back at work we knew we were doing it again, for the second time. We knew what had to be done and we were willing to do it, and that's something that helped us a lot. Another thing we definitely learned was to keep the design of the original as faithful as possible to the silhouettes.[/spoiler]

i was expecting risitas quotes. ty anyways
krichk wrote:For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge Challenger_Marco
No Flag Djigit
Howdah

Post by Djigit »

Sargsyan wrote:
Djigit wrote:As I'm fully proficient in Spanish thanks to AoE3, here's a rough translation:

Mario Merinowski
9-12 minutes

i was expecting risitas quotes. ty anyways
[spoiler=DO NOT CLICK]Image[/spoiler]
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

wardyb1 wrote:I thought the best they would do, is make the game run properly on new processors and graphics cards.

I'm out of the loop, does it not already?
Australia wardyb1
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: wardyb1

Post by wardyb1 »

kami_ryu wrote:
wardyb1 wrote:I thought the best they would do, is make the game run properly on new processors and graphics cards.

It might be a better question for @EAGLEMUT but I've always thought it didn't work how it should. Maybe it's just a myth that I've believed to be true, but I thought I had heard that AOE3 never properly utilised all the processing power of the pc's processor/GFX card as it never split up tasks for them properly. I'm explaining it terribly, but I had always believed that the full strength of a good PC was never properly used. Or I could've fallen for some AOE3 fake news :hmm:
“To love the journey is to accept no such end. I have found, through painful experience, that the most important step a person can take is always the next one.”
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

wardyb1 wrote:
kami_ryu wrote:

It might be a better question for @EAGLEMUT but I've always thought it didn't work how it should. Maybe it's just a myth that I've believed to be true, but I thought I had heard that AOE3 never properly utilised all the processing power of the pc's processor/GFX card as it never split up tasks for them properly. I'm explaining it terribly, but I had always believed that the full strength of a good PC was never properly used. Or I could've fallen for some AOE3 fake news :hmm:

that's like, pretty much every game made though
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Yeah, AOE3 doesn't use newer GPUs to their fullest potential. And that's because when the game launches it checks hardware profiles against a hardcoded document and if it doesn't find equivalent GPUs, it defaults to a generic profile, which is basically integrated graphics.

On the other hand, this is 2005 GFX technology (it was top-notch 14 years ago..), so obviously the game doesn't have much to show that newer GPUs could render.
United States of America GiBthedurrty
Lancer
Donator 01
Clan: YumiW

Post by GiBthedurrty »

Who cares?
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Urmom.