Some Random AoE 3 Thoughts

United States of America randerzbobanderz
Musketeer
ESO: RandyBobandy

Re: Some Random AoE 3 Thoughts

Post by randerzbobanderz »

zoom wrote:
Imperial Noob wrote:There are several problems with the Black Family timeline:

The Great Siege of Malta took place in 1565. An unrelated Ottoman attack by a small force of a 1000 janissaries either before that or later would be ridiculous.
The fictional middle-aged Francisco Delgado, according to the description, served under Pedro de Alvarado, who died in 1541. Fair enough. 1560s
However, if an Aztec Army came from Tenochtitlan to the rescue, the year must have been earlier than 1521, when the city was destroyed and the Aztecs defeated. And in 1521 the sort of forces that Delgado commands would be idiots not to try to directly aid Cortes instead of fighting predominantly Spanish-speaking, catholic crusaders---of all people.
The chapter master and a major Hospitaller officer being English and Scottish respectably is very weird. In 1565, IIRC, there were exactly two English-speaking, low ranked knights in the chapter.

And anyway, the sons of Morgan Black apparently did not speak fondly of the Fountain of Youth to the next generation, despite the fact that John Black's act took place in the 1760s, 200 years after his grandfather's act.

Oh, and John Black died during the 7-Year War, that is, pre-1763, while his daughter looked ca. 25 in ca. 1825. (Bolivar died in 1830) Afterwards, her son fought in the battle of Little Big Horn in 1876, 50 years later, begging the question when was he born.

Hmm

Despite that, I just love the Act1 story for a thousand of reasons, including the characters, the factions, the amazing choice of a protagonist faction and their goal. I would love to see an ambitious 2010s version of it, with the knights having historically accurate religious moral doubts about such water, a tie-in to the Holy Grail, accurate languages of the soldiers, a moral conflict about helping "the savages" against catholic Europeans etc. This would ground the story historically even more
I'd call the entire fucking campaign a problem.

Noooo I love that campaign. I replay the whole line from Nilla to TAD every couple years. So much nostalgia is packed into it for me.