Time to Macro Scenario Idea

Great Britain Interjection
Howdah
Donator 04
ESO: Interjection

Time to Macro Scenario Idea

Post by Interjection »

I spent a couple of hours today executing on a scenario idea I've had for a while.

Two players begin on a blank map (similar to cards) with nothing except starting vils & crates. Resources then spawn randomly on the map (hunts, mines and trees). Both players are then given a random but identical objective e.g., stockpile 2000 food or train 20 hussars. The first player to complete the objective starts a 1 minute timer. If their TC survives the timer, they win a point and trigger a new round.

At the start of the next round, the map is totally reset. New resources spawn and all units, buildings and banked food/wood/gold are deleted. You keep your settlers & techs (maybe. Thoughts?). Then a new objective is assigned. It is a best of 5 - first to 3 points is the winner.

NOTE: Destroying your opponents TC will always win you the round regardless.

The idea is that players compete in a series of intense macro related challenges whilst still being able to raid, send cards and otherwise play AoE3. Each objective should take 4-5 minutes to complete. The theoretical maximum game length would be 25 minutes but most games would be ~20. Remember, you carry your eco over each round.

I have done most of the mechanical triggers to make this work already. Now I just need ideas for various objectives and to polish it and see if it's fun or not. The final version would ideally be scripted into a random map so you can bring your own decks.

OBJECTIVES:

Tier 1 objectives (you start the game with 6 vils so these need to be quickly achievable )
-Train 20 settlers?
-Build a barrack and stable
-

Tier 2 objectives (you should have an early colonial eco by this point so these can be a bit harder)
-ideas
-ideas

Tier 3 objectives (you should have 35 vil eco by this point)
-ideas
-ideas

Tier 4 objectives (mills and plantations sort of time)
-ideas
-ideas
Germany aligator92
Howdah
ESO: aligator92

Re: Time to Macro Scenario Idea

Post by aligator92 »

I see an issue with carrying over your eco. It might lead to one or both players completely ignoring the first objective to boom and be nicely set up for the later rounds (would this be intended?)
Maybe just start round 2 with 20 vills in colonial, round 3 with 35 vills in fortress etc.?
United States of America Papist
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Papist

Post by Papist »

I like the premise is cool. I feel that the eco carrying over leads to a huge snowball potential though. If your opponent gets a big raid in the first round, you've essentially lost the entire game, no?
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
Great Britain Interjection
Howdah
Donator 04
ESO: Interjection

Post by Interjection »

UPDATE:

There will be 5 rounds. Each round will be 5 minutes long. The goal of each round will be to kill as many enemy vils as possible. Whoever has killed the most upon the timer expiring will be declared the winner of the round. Killing the enemy TC will immediately win you the round, end the timer and trigger the start of the next round.

Players start with the following number of vils
Round 1: 20 vils
Round 2: 40 vils
Round 3: 60 vils
Round 4: 80 vils
Round 5: 99 vils

It is a best of 5, first to 3 victories.

NOTE: I will try to build the scenario so that it tracks vil kills (rather than counting who has more at the end of the round). Basically, I don't want 5 & 4 vil shipments becoming absurdly powerful.
^
This is not a simple job and will involve a lot of Quest Var Modify & Quest Var Echo. It may not be possible but I'll take a look