Massing priests is OP

United States of America randerzbobanderz
Musketeer
ESO: RandyBobandy

Massing priests is OP

Post by randerzbobanderz »

I played an FFA last night as Russia with the TEAM Cheap Priests Card. You just have to age to 3, send 9 Highlanders and start massing the 100 coin 360 HP monsters. They make an incredible meat shield while the Highlanders and 2 Falcs card do the damage, while also healing each other. No one knows how to deal with it because its so stupid, so I was able to wipe 2 players bases out easy. For some reason they train super fast, and nothing has a multiplier against them. Def the most fun I've had in an FFA in a bit.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Re: Massing priests is OP

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

Serbia ShinkuroYukinari
Dragoon
ESO: ShinkuroYukinari
Clan: BANIN

Post by ShinkuroYukinari »

Doesnt seem too horrid to handle. Get a few artillery pieces or skirms to snipe the Highlanders and focus on cavalry as a brute-force unit. Also note that you need 3 specific shipments to make it work, that is a lot for a very specific cheese that will be seen by a mile away by anyone familiar with it.
My signature was removed, MOD ABUSE!
Musketeer

ShinkuroYukinari wrote:Doesnt seem too horrid to handle. Get a few artillery pieces or skirms to snipe the Highlanders and focus on cavalry as a brute-force unit. Also note that you need 3 specific shipments to make it work, that is a lot for a very specific cheese that will be seen by a mile away by anyone familiar with it.

True, but remember in FFA people often sit in their bases and play extra greedy. They won't have time to adapt. Its also a unit comp that no one knows off the top of their how to counter.
Brazil macacoalbino
Howdah
ESO: MacacoAlbino
Clan: 3Huss

Post by macacoalbino »

You should try the sioux native scout+siege dance strat

Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor
ECL Reigning ChampsDonator 01
ESO: Riotcoke
Clan: UwU

Post by Riotcoke »

It's only good if the opponent doesn't micro.

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
Australia Kawapasaka
ESOC Pro Team

Post by Kawapasaka »

randerzbobanderz wrote:
ShinkuroYukinari wrote:Doesnt seem too horrid to handle. Get a few artillery pieces or skirms to snipe the Highlanders and focus on cavalry as a brute-force unit. Also note that you need 3 specific shipments to make it work, that is a lot for a very specific cheese that will be seen by a mile away by anyone familiar with it.

True, but remember in FFA people often sit in their bases and play extra greedy. They won't have time to adapt. Its also a unit comp that no one knows off the top of their how to counter.

That's the only way to win FFA. Rushing might knock out a couple but at least one of the guys who just picked a full treaty deck will be left alone for long enough and the person who invested in crates and unit shipments will have no eco.
But to be fair, I can 100% understand just having some fun rushing and dying a bit later because winning FFA isn't exactly the most rewarding experience in the world, it's usually extremely anti-climactic and it takes like 2 hours so you're always dying for a piss.

[spoiler=are we having fun yet]Image[/spoiler]
Musketeer

Yeah i entirely agree. FFA for me is just about having fun, so I do some dumb strat. For long Age V games ill just play treaty
Brazil macacoalbino
Howdah
ESO: MacacoAlbino
Clan: 3Huss

Post by macacoalbino »

Might as well play deathmatch tbh

Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor
ESO: dansil92

Post by dansil92 »

If i recall correctly, great bombards should be the best counter to massed priests, as they don't have amy negatives vs priests and have insane base damage. Othewise cav of any kind will do. Id be really interested to see how iro or aztec stand up to a priest rush tbh
United States of America Papist
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Papist

Post by Papist »

dansil92 wrote:If i recall correctly, great bombards should be the best counter to massed priests, as they don't have amy negatives vs priests and have insane base damage. Othewise cav of any kind will do. Id be really interested to see how iro or aztec stand up to a priest rush tbh

It takes a while to get a good priest rush up and running, so I would imagine the fast-paced TWC cis would perform quite well.
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
Malaysia Aizamk
Pro Player
ESOC WarChiefs Classic 2017

Post by Aizamk »

if it's good enough to beat best mechanics it's good enough to beat anyone
oranges.
Bhutan jgals
Lancer
ESO: OstiferButthole

Post by jgals »

found out by doing this that urumi do a pretty good job. I ended up with about 50 priests in a team game. They are really hard to micro, because they dont attack things unless you tell them to attack individual targets and they can't attack move (pls fix ep) But they have 500 HP in colonial, even though they do shit damage. They can beat light infantry mass, but not so good vs muskets

EDIT

Note, after further testing today this build should be used defensively rather than offensively. Since they can't siege there is no point. But aging with 14-17 vils and Blockhousing up with advanced buildings and advanced barracks hitpoint cards allowed me to hold a rush from PR 20 iro player today for about 15 minuets. 3 waves of attacks and only on the 3rd push did I need to train 2 batches of strelets. This was deccan so plenty of res in base. Even spamming priest for 10 min my gold mine was half full or more

http://www.agecommunity.com/stats/GameS ... 587d880b31

unfortunately it doesn't show a stat for my priest production. Pls fix