Tournament Ideas/Thoughts

Germany amiggo1999
Advanced Player
Donator 01
ESO: miggo1999

Re: Tournament Ideas/Thoughts

Post by amiggo1999 »

@HeadKilla I don't know if you have seen Hazza's 2v2 tourney, but if you really would like to have such a lower lvl tourney, your best shot would be to gather some money from people (like yourself) who want to realize this, and then ask ESOC if the tourney can be streamed on it. I doubt ESOC will ever fund a tourney for lower lvl players. But I am sure they would help organizing and casting it.
Image Image
United States of America musketeer925
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: musketeer925

Post by musketeer925 »

macacoalbino wrote:
lesllamas wrote:This might just become the honorary Aizamk prize, but it's at least an idea lol

I'd fight more for the Honorary Aizamk prize than actually winning the whole thing tbh :P

That's the point. Give people who don't expect to win the whole thing something else to be there for. And it inherently makes games more interesting and encourages innovation in the meta.
United States of America HeadKilla
Lancer
The Big Game Hunter - Bronze ElephantDonator Best
ESO: Headkilla

Post by HeadKilla »

lesllamas wrote:Something I'd suggest that's maybe a bit more constructive is something akin to a brilliancy prize that is sometimes given out in chess tournaments. This could go to any single match in the tournament from any bracket, but at your discretion (or viewer voting), you could give a smaller cash prize to the player who pulls out a victory via the most insane or come from behind strategy. This might just become the honorary Aizamk prize, but it's at least an idea lol

Brainstorming more ideas for unique prizes and awards as well as just additional ideas. Many will be bad but perhaps in reading them someone will have a spin-off idea of way to improve the concept.

If we did get a group like EscapeTV or ESOC on board, I like the name of the event to be "The EscapeTV Open" or "The ESOC Open". I like calling it an open because it is literally open to the public to join. You will get a great mix of player skill and the atmosphere is more casual for the lower divisions, in the hopes they learn about comp play and can choose to go further into it or not. Of course calling an event an Open is like using "first of all." You have to follow it up with a "Second of all" or in our case an Invitational. In my world, invitational's are by invite only and participants have already been proven and earned their place through past win in events like invitationals. There are not the lowest divisions of play, but perhaps still 2 div. with major emphasis on the top level in regards to growth, prizes and event attention.

Something in regard to smurfs. What if we had a rule in place that if you placed top in a lower division, you had to compete at the next div. up in future events? Sure, they can have multiple accounts and enter the same div under a new account, but if I keep writing a check to the same person, we could figure that out quickly. Another idea, what if all winners in the lower div had to provide their IP's? What if in order to receive any monetary prize you have to go through some sort of verification process or forfeit the prize? I am trying to think out of the box on this problem.

Voter based awards for participants:

best single game come from behind victory - staff vote
best match come from behind victory - staff vote
worst game throw - staff vote
best user of explorer - viewer vote
favorite pro div player - viewer vote
who will win the event betting favorite - viewer/staff vote
most memorable moment - viewer vote
worst match throw - viewer vote
biggest match upset - viewer vote
most unique play-style - viewer vote
most structured play-style - viewer vote
best overall macro - viewer vote
best overall micro - viewer vote

Statistical awards for participants:

most treasures collected
most victories with a single civ
most civs used in wins
most wins on unique maps
most resources gathered in a game
largest military mass in a single game
quickest victory
longest victory
fastest to Age 2,3,4,5
established the most Native Trading Post's
least amount of total resources unspent
most number of unique units obtained
fewest game losses
most game losses
built the most walls

Awards/prizes for viewers:
- perhaps restrict viewers that are eligible to only those that are subscribed to the twitch channel and members of this forum

randomly select 1 viewer that correctly bet on who will win the event to win a 2 hour coaching streamed coaching session with a top level player.
- it would be great to line up several options for the winner to choose from to better meet their requirements such as game style and regional differences. Whomever the winner chooses from among the available pro's, I will compensate $50 for their services.

viewer that contributed the most to the events stream chat - vote
- it could be useful/constructive comments or relevant conversationalist, certainly number of comments is not important. Perhaps also someone would donate sub's in volume and viewers could vote for that person if they like. I was thinking a good prize for this would be to have a top pro division player chosen from a list of those that previously agreed to rename their explorer to that viewers name for 1 month and make a casual reference in streams once or twice about why they changed the name.

overall betting winner
- I like the betting feature in twitch. While I do not really use it myself, I see other viewers do so regularly. I will give $25 to whichever viewer has the most betting currency after the event ends.

Subscription goal based prizes for viewers
- What I had in mind was something like for every 50 subscriptions received over the course of the event, a new sub at random will receive an EscapeTV hat.
- 500 subs and 1 new sub at random will receive an https://escapetv.uk/merch/ item of their choice.

2v2 event
I was also thinking that maybe we could make the 2v2 a pro/am style event and have it be more casual. I was thinking that the top 8 available players overall from the pro division would each be paired with a top 8 available player from the adv division. Double elimination bo3 matches and finals can be b05. We could then balance out the prize pool so that the top 4 teams will all win something and each pro division participant is guaranteed to get paid for agreeing to participate. So the potential prize pool would look something like this:

1st team - $100
2nd team - $75
3rd/4th team - $50
5th-8th pros each receive $10 for participating

Grudge Matches
Can we do grudge matches? I was thinking about trying to get perhaps 5 grudge matches lined up with players agreeing to play in theory should viewers vote to see that match. I will give each player $25 if they participate and the winner will get another $50. We can call it "$100 grudge match" as chosen by you, the viewers =)

Something for the beginners to win
Something of value for the lowest div winner would be nice. I was thinking that the winner of the beg division will get a 2 hour coaching session from their choice of Pro's that have agreed to participate in advance. We would use the same list of players that we could use for this same prize to the Betting winner viewer. I would again compensate the chosen pro $50 for helping out with all the other pro's each receiving $10 for their willingness. I really like this idea for a few reasons. First, these sessions could be invaluable to the players that win them. They will never forget the time a pro spent with them when starting out. Second, the pro's will get great publicity and possibly provide some video content that would benefit the community. I know that i love the videos of pro's in game spectating players and giving comments to them during the game. I cannot be alone here. And finally third, lets put as much money as we can into the pockets of the players that put their time and energy into this community at the highest level's.
Lancer

Post by HeadKilla »

amiggo1999 wrote:@HeadKilla I don't know if you have seen Hazza's 2v2 tourney, but if you really would like to have such a lower lvl tourney, your best shot would be to gather some money from people (like yourself) who want to realize this, and then ask ESOC if the tourney can be streamed on it. I doubt ESOC will ever fund a tourney for lower lvl players. But I am sure they would help organizing and casting it.

I will look into seeing if I can provide support for Hazza's event. I have watched his streams and I to enjoy chocolate brownies.

However, my vision is not to simply offer low level players events to play in. It is to have larger, streamed events focused on and rewarding most the top level play but not forgetting the majority of the player base is not at that level. Trying to bring all play levels a little closer together or at least expose the lower level players to what it may be like to play at the higher levels, on a first hand basis. So the two idea's are different but not mutually exclusive of each other.
European Union scarm
Howdah
ESO: Malebranche

Post by scarm »

Don't have much to contribute except saying that i appreciate your effort!
Germany amiggo1999
Advanced Player
Donator 01
ESO: miggo1999

Post by amiggo1999 »

@HeadKilla Hazza's event took place earlier this year, the reason I brought it up, is that he himself funded it. The problem with having ESOC fund a lower lvl player event, is that the people who participate in and donate to ESOC don't want to see uncompetitive play. But if that is something you wish to realize, you can do so with money you and other people raise. And as with Hazza's event there is likelihood that ESOC will promote and broadcast it.
Image Image
Lancer

Post by HeadKilla »

scarm wrote:Don't have much to contribute except saying that i appreciate your effort!

I imagine you have more to offer than you think.

Would you play in this type of event? If so, what division? What would be your goal?

Would you view this event on stream? If so, would you participate in the discussion and try to win some prizes?
European Union scarm
Howdah
ESO: Malebranche

Post by scarm »

Technically i would, but unfortunately my setup is pretty bad, and sometimes overheats and my internet also might cause lag sometimes (200 kbs DL lol).

Currently i am PR 21 but i only recenty started grinding so i may be a bit higher, so basically intermediate/beginner division, depends on how the divisions end up.

If i hae free time i would definitely watch some games, but weekend evenings (gmt+1) are kinda bad for me due to social acitivities. And yeah i always like to tell my nooby opinion to everyone lol (as in yeah i am kinda active in twitch chat if i am watching).
Turkey HUMMAN
Lancer
ESO: HUMMAN

Post by HUMMAN »

I wouldnt watch low level divisions, but i think it is fun to let lower level players compete and have the excitement of tourney. It is also an attempt to make EP mainstream rather than top level along the community, which EP never achieved and i think it should. However i have no idea with management and even if low levels will play/or know about the tourney. Also smurfing is certain in such setting.
Lancer

Post by HeadKilla »

amiggo1999 wrote:@HeadKilla Hazza's event took place earlier this year, the reason I brought it up, is that he himself funded it. The problem with having ESOC fund a lower lvl player event, is that the people who participate in and donate to ESOC don't want to see uncompetitive play. But if that is something you wish to realize, you can do so with money you and other people raise. And as with Hazza's event there is likelihood that ESOC will promote and broadcast it.

I am willing to allocate some funds to this event if we get ESOC to promote and broadcast it.

As for people not wanting to see competitive play, I get that. I really do. I was thinking that the balance of on camera matches would heavily favor the higher level players. However I was thinking that there could be a feature match for each other round expect beginner. Only streams of the Pro division for rounds 1 and 2. Starting with round 3 only the top match for advanced and intermediate divisions will be covered while as many as possible pro division matches will be covered.
Lancer

Post by HeadKilla »

HUMMAN wrote:I wouldnt watch low level divisions, but i think it is fun to let lower level players compete and have the excitement of tourney. It is also an attempt to make EP mainstream rather than top level along the community, which EP never achieved and i think it should. However i have no idea with management and even if low levels will play/or know about the tourney. Also smurfing is certain in such setting.

I agree.

As individuals we can probably achieve the most via word of mouth and just sharing links and post to social media.
I know that when I am hosting games I can incorporate the name of the event into the game name. People will ask and I can tell those people about the event and stress its a free event with lower divisions and you could possibly get your match streamed or win some cash along the way. I know that during the time leading up the the NWC LAN and a few days following, the majority of the chat in my lobby's was about the LAN and who was watching or informing players that did not know that they could be watching. All these small things done on the individual level really help. Obviously the more individuals contributing the better.
United States of America randerzbobanderz
Musketeer
ESO: RandyBobandy

Post by randerzbobanderz »

HeadKilla wrote:
scarm wrote:Don't have much to contribute except saying that i appreciate your effort!

Would you play in this type of event? If so, what division? What would be your goal?

Would you view this event on stream? If so, would you participate in the discussion and try to win some prizes?

I would definitely be interested! I would barely make the cutoff for "Advanced" (PR 21), and have wanted to play in a tournament for a while.
Lancer

Post by HeadKilla »

randerzbobanderz wrote:
HeadKilla wrote:

I would definitely be interested! I would barely make the cutoff for "Advanced" (PR 21), and have wanted to play in a tournament for a while.

I think this could be a great opportunity for many players in the same boat as yourself to finally take the plunge into a Tournament. Taste it, process it, decide if you have acquired the taste and go from there.
Netherlands onabudget
Crossbow
ESO: onabudget

Post by onabudget »

PR13 here, I love your ideas! I would definately compete in the intermediate division and watch most if not all of the pro games. I'd also like to watch some of the intermediate/advanced games for fun and to learn from.
I'm not a smurf, I'm just very inconsistent ^_^
Great Britain Black_Duck
Dragoon
ESO: Tom
Clan: DUKC

Post by Black_Duck »

HeadKilla wrote:

Ive been playing for years, although quite unsuccessfully I am only pr24 :(

If there was a way for a 2v2 tourney or a tourney that was for lower ranked players to be checked to make sure they are definitely not a smurf then I would pay $5. Not sure how many people like me you would need to make the checks worthwhile but its a possibility.
Challenged_Macro wrote: Respect Mussolini guys,if hes triggered there is always a reason.
Mussolini wrote: I hope corona gets you, your family and all your fuckin relatives as you fuckin deserve it for being cocky
Lancer

Post by HeadKilla »

Black_Duck wrote:
HeadKilla wrote:

If there was a way for a 2v2 tourney or a tourney that was for lower ranked players to be checked to make sure they are definitely not a smurf then I would pay $5. Not sure how many people like me you would need to make the checks worthwhile but its a possibility.

This is an interesting idea of capturing an entry fee in order to safeguard against smurfs. I am not in a position to know if this would work or not. I do know that pretty much everyone feels and entry fee is a bad idea.

Would you play in this event if there was no entry fee while we still did our best to prevent smuffing as much as possible?
Lancer

Post by HeadKilla »

onabudget wrote:PR13 here, I love your ideas! I would definately compete in the intermediate division and watch most if not all of the pro games. I'd also like to watch some of the intermediate/advanced games for fun and to learn from.

I love to hear this. Exactly the demographic I wanted to target. Do you have the ESOC path already or are you playing RE?
Great Britain Black_Duck
Dragoon
ESO: Tom
Clan: DUKC

Post by Black_Duck »

HeadKilla wrote:
Black_Duck wrote:
Show hidden quotes

This is an interesting idea of capturing an entry fee in order to safeguard against smurfs. I am not in a position to know if this would work or not. I do know that pretty much everyone feels and entry fee is a bad idea.

Would you play in this event if there was no entry fee while we still did our best to prevent smuffing as much as possible?

I would definitely give it a go! I guess if its division based like the English football league (sorry im a brit who likes football) if you made the seasons pretty short and reduced the prizes the smurfs would soon go into the divisions they belong in.
Challenged_Macro wrote: Respect Mussolini guys,if hes triggered there is always a reason.
Mussolini wrote: I hope corona gets you, your family and all your fuckin relatives as you fuckin deserve it for being cocky
Netherlands onabudget
Crossbow
ESO: onabudget

Post by onabudget »

HeadKilla wrote:
onabudget wrote:PR13 here, I love your ideas! I would definately compete in the intermediate division and watch most if not all of the pro games. I'd also like to watch some of the intermediate/advanced games for fun and to learn from.

I love to hear this. Exactly the demographic I wanted to target. Do you have the ESOC path already or are you playing RE?

Right now I'm playing on RE, but often on ESOC maps. I haven't installed EP yet as most folks with PRs I like to play against are on RE anyways.

I will be installing EP in the near future though to give it a go and maybe compete in a weekend tournament just for fun :P
I'm not a smurf, I'm just very inconsistent ^_^
United States of America Cometk
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

@HeadKilla Hey man, it's good to have you on the forums! I'm Cometk and I do the main tournament administration for ESOC. If you'd like to discuss doing some events, hit me up on discord. Not quite sure what my exact tag is because I'm at work but if you join the main discord you should be able to find me.
Lancer

Post by HeadKilla »

Cometk wrote:@HeadKilla Hey man, it's good to have you on the forums! I'm Cometk and I do the main tournament administration for ESOC If you'd like to discuss doing some events, hit me up on discord. Not quite sure what my exact tag is because I'm at work but if you join the main discord you should be able to find me.

will do.
Vietnam Davy_Jones_123
Crossbow
ESO: TranHungDao221

Post by Davy_Jones_123 »

To prevent smurfing, make a community on facebook then use it to identify player's account. To enter a lower level tournament, players have to sign in with their nickname+FB name. Just need to make sure those FB accounts are real. not fake accs.
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

Davy_Jones_123 wrote:To prevent smurfing, make a community on facebook then use it to identify player's account. To enter a lower level tournament, players have to sign in with their nickname+FB name. Just need to make sure those FB accounts are real. not fake accs.

That doesn't prevent smurfing.
mad cuz bad
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Davy_Jones_123 wrote:To prevent smurfing, make a community on facebook then use it to identify player's account. To enter a lower level tournament, players have to sign in with their nickname+FB name. Just need to make sure those FB accounts are real. not fake accs.

This is actually the worst idea I've ever read.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

I don't think it's a bad idea to have every player take an extremely high-res picture of their fingerprint and send it to ESOC staff as verification.
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix