Do people in Aoe3 get more salty?

No Flag Astaroth
Howdah

Do people in Aoe3 get more salty?

Post by Astaroth »

I know, this does sound a lot like a flaming thread, but that isn't really the point. I just find it an interesting observation that people in Aoe3 on average, even or especially at the top level, often get quite salty when losing. Especially when e g. compared with Aoe2.

Obviously not every Aoe3 player always gets salty nor is every Aoe2 player never salty. Especially some guys like MbL or Hera do get salty occasionally.

But I feel that for Aoe3 it is on a whole other level. Many players make excuses when they lose, complain, blame this or that, don't write gg, just go "out" etc. Conversely in Aoe2, most (top) players write gg 99 % of the time. I think I've never ever seen e. g. Daut or Viper after losing (yes, Viper loses) write sth in chat like, "Meh, bad map // unfair matchup" etc (even if that was objectively the case). Many aoe2 pros can lose 0-4 in an important tourney, be really mad inside, but still write gg wp gl next round.

Is it just me? Is the sample size too small? Am I missing sth? Or are Aoe3 players on average more salty? If yes, why is that? And I don't think it is because Aoe3 has such especially unfair matchups or maps; aoe2 can be quite similar to that in some cases (Khmer VS Mayans on land or so, let alone unfair maps).

Just to emphasize: I don't exempt myself from that, I used to be fairly bad myself when playing actively.
Australia Kawapasaka
ESOC Pro Team

Re: Do people in Aoe3 get more salty?

Post by Kawapasaka »

I get mad at games all the time but I force myself to shut up and say gg.
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor
ECL Reigning ChampsDonator 01
ESO: Riotcoke
Clan: UwU

Post by Riotcoke »

Everyone knows everyone at a certain level, so you get grudges and people get more salty. Some people are just very salty though, not going to name names but a certain water player who likes walls from turkey is the saltiest.

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
Armenia Sargsyan
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: lamergamer
Clan: c0ns

Post by Sargsyan »

i may burn inside but dont complain to not look like a retarded nerd
krichk wrote:For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge Challenger_Marco
No Flag Djigit
Howdah

Post by Djigit »

That's because the game is extremely frustrating.
I mean look at the age1 tryhards who seek to steal your treasure at all cost, instead of scouting and getting a better one lol. The treasure system is a cancer...
Turkey Mameluke
Dragoon
ESO: Mameluké

Post by Mameluke »

since when its salty to say "bad map/unfair mu"? Also unnecessary comments yes, but its not flaming (the opponent) or being salty. salty would be like a top player said once "lost to a noob out". And its imo very natural to be a bit salty, insulting other ppl is something different ofc. Blaming map, matchup, saying something like "lost to a noob out" are quite normal things after losing a game. Ofc it would be better to not do it but We're HUMANS :D
If you see any mistakes in my grammar/vocabulary or whatever, please correct me. I really appreciate it :!: :flowers:
No Flag bepsi
Musketeer

Post by bepsi »

Interesting observation. I do think that the rift caused by the esoc patch, dividing the community into an self proclaimed class of 'pros' vis-a-vis the vast bulk of unwashed noobs still playing on the RE patch, generates a whole lot of toxicity in and of itself. The inherent country club mentality it fosters is conductive to in-group bullying and pecking order, and a snobbish attitude towards outsiders. Apart from the apparent evils this phenomenon is bound to generate, it will certainly also alienate the vast majority of potential community members globally who are unaccustomed to the anglo-american (ie puritist) mindset. Just my 2 cents. :kinggreen:
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

Honestly there isn't any rift. You wouldn't simply have a competitive scene without the EP.
Image Image Image
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Post by zoom »

It's definitely true. Personally, I just find it funny.
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

I’ve always found it strange that people insist on making excuses / flaming with 300+ viewers watching and judging.

I don’t really think it’s necessarily that AoE3 players are saltier than other games, but I do feel like twitch chat culture feels much more personal / toxic than some other games. I mean, twitch chat’s pretty toxic in some games like League of Legends, but that’s more memeing than anything else; in AoE3 it feels like all the viewers mean what they say, and oftentimes what they’re saying is that one player is bad and insulting them etc.

I think knowing that this is what the audience is like automatically puts some players on the defensive when they start losing—as if they have to justify their loss for the audience or else lose face somehow.
No Flag bepsi
Musketeer

Post by bepsi »

Nice filibuster.
United States of America Papist
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Papist

Post by Papist »

bepsi wrote:Interesting observation. I do think that the rift caused by the esoc patch, dividing the community into an self proclaimed class of 'pros' vis-a-vis the vast bulk of unwashed noobs still playing on the RE patch, generates a whole lot of toxicity in and of itself. The inherent country club mentality it fosters is conductive to in-group bullying and pecking order, and a snobbish attitude towards outsiders. Apart from the apparent evils this phenomenon is bound to generate, it will certainly also alienate the vast majority of potential community members globally who are unaccustomed to the anglo-american (ie puritist) mindset. Just my 2 cents. :kinggreen:

This all seems like a bit of a stretch considering most people on RE have never heard of the EP at all.

And as someone who's been a part of both communities for a long time, I haven't seen what you're saying about this community being a vehicle for in-group bullying and snobbery. Sure people here fault the RE for its technical bugs and bad civ balance, but who doesn't? And when has anyone here attacked the people who play on RE?
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
Turkey HUMMAN
Lancer
ESO: HUMMAN

Post by HUMMAN »

lol people here even attack EP treaty players :D
France flontier
Lancer
Intermediate Division Winner
ESO: Flontier
Clan: PLOP

Post by flontier »

wtf, people in aoe3 aren't salty at all https://i.gyazo.com/113cb8f014486a08e3a ... db0e8b.png
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor
ECL Reigning ChampsDonator 01
ESO: Riotcoke
Clan: UwU

Post by Riotcoke »

bepsi wrote:Interesting observation. I do think that the rift caused by the esoc patch, dividing the community into an self proclaimed class of 'pros' vis-a-vis the vast bulk of unwashed noobs still playing on the RE patch, generates a whole lot of toxicity in and of itself. The inherent country club mentality it fosters is conductive to in-group bullying and pecking order, and a snobbish attitude towards outsiders. Apart from the apparent evils this phenomenon is bound to generate, it will certainly also alienate the vast majority of potential community members globally who are unaccustomed to the anglo-american (ie puritist) mindset. Just my 2 cents. :kinggreen:

Nobody stops you playing EP, there's pr20s who play EP. It's for everyone.

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
Germany japanesegeneral
Lancer
ESO: JapaneseGeneral

Post by japanesegeneral »

This community is a E-dick-measuring community. Which basically explains the behavior you discribed. Lets get into detail about this topic:
Some people claim you have to measure the length others claim you have to calculate your Adjusted Penis Size (or TMI) with the following formula:
((L*D)+(W/G))/(A^2)
Length times Diameter plus Weight over Girth divided by Angle of the tip squared. (It is the most commonly used formula to calculate the TMI, but there are multiple out there for more information on that topic click on the link: https://southpark.fandom.com/wiki/T.M.I./Trivia

While many members of the community claim the calculation of the TMI would be wrong, some believe all that matters is size. Yes it is obvious nobody wants to be beneath average in terms of your E-dick size. That is why everybody tries to make sure the community gets to know you have one of the biggest E-dicks there are. The best way to archieve that is by telling everyone why a certain map sucks, or a certain mu is unwinnable, they would have won the game without lag. It is promotion for your formula. Everyone tries make their own calculation formula for the TMI to be considered the one and only. However no one has archieved anything like that in the past. Thats why most players fear other calculations might be correct. To put it in a nutshell most players fear having a small E-penis. The natural reaction to fear is angry behaviour which is just a synonm for salty behaviour. There is no way people will stop the measuring. So you gotta adapt to it but once you find the beauty of E-dick-measuring you will find the pleasure in this community.
6 petards a day keep the doctor away.
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

Also, for what it's worth, I think the community has improved a lot this year in terms of friendliness.
Russia yurashic
Howdah
ESO: Yurashic

Post by yurashic »

I wouldn't say this community is any more toxic than any other community really, it's small so you can't really be toxic, you meet these people all the time anyway.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

Imo it's just a matter of habits.
_h2o, bsop and garja (who were considered to be the top players in 2015) were extremely salty.
As a result, the new generation of top players assumed that it was okay or even normal to complain after a game instead of typing "gg gl in the next round".
I think that without the Ryan rage, people would GG more often.

It's also easy to blame a loss on lag, MU, map etc.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

Mitoe wrote:Also, for what it's worth, I think the community has improved a lot this year in terms of friendliness.

Hum, I think the opposite tbh.
United States of America dicktator_
Howdah
EWT
ESO: Conquerer999

Post by dicktator_ »

In tournies and casted games it definitely got better imo.
steniothejonjoe wrote:I can micro better than 99% of the player base and that's 100% objective
:mds:
Tokelau jesus3
Jaeger

Post by jesus3 »

A pinch of salt usually adds to the flavour, however, truckloads of salt may or may not impact the edibility of that dish immensely and irreversibly
Australia Kawapasaka
ESOC Pro Team

Post by Kawapasaka »

The best thing about EP is you can't pest the people you hate because there's nobody else to play with :mrgreen:
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Nah, this community is quite tame compared to those of other games, like LoL. And it's actually friendlier because most people know each other, so there's less anonimity than in bigger communities, in which nobody cares much about the impact of what they're saying. Or about their reputation.

On the other hand, in smaller communities, it's likely that people may be more self-conscious about their reputation, so they may take a loss much more seriously than if they were part of a bigger community. So things might get more personal in both directions, on both sides (streamers/viewers, high-level players/low-level players, etc). It's like living in a small building of flats, in which everyone knows their neighbours, compared to living in a high-rise tower, in which you might barely know the people on your floor and the concierge.

If the community got substantially bigger, these conflicts and personal grudges would defuse, because there would be so many more players and competition, that you would simply not have time to care about losing to one player among tens of thousands. You'd be too busy jumping into another game. But you wouldn't have closer or more familiar relations either, so increased anonymity would cut both ways.
No Flag Astaroth
Howdah

Post by Astaroth »

Thanks for all the input so far, good points.

Another few thoughts: maybe the fast pace of the game (compared to Aoe2) actually contributes to the saltiness. For one, games are very high adrenaline, so a loss affects you more than in a calmer setting. Also, games are often decided in a blink, so you might suddenly lose when before you thought you had a big lead, making you feel very disappointed and surprised. It's easier to accept a loss imo when the game is 20 minutes long and you have already been thinking for 5 mins that you will likely lose.

I suppose the demographic of the game might also be slightly younger than in eg Aoe2? Sure, some Aoe3 players are in their mid 20s, but I feel that aoe2 players on average are still a bit older (Daut haha).