Coaching

United States of America HeadKilla
Lancer
The Big Game Hunter - Bronze ElephantDonator Best
ESO: Headkilla

Re: Coaching

Post by HeadKilla »

WickedCossack wrote:Best coaching is through screen share if you have a good set up that can handle it. I've done this a few times and its very fun if the person is actually interested in improving, random strat talk after a game honnestly does very little for under pr30's.
exactly

Things went better than expected with Coach Callen today. We won our first game as Russia against Brits pretty easy. Then I lost to Otto pretty hard. But after that I won 4 more games in a row all with Russia using Coach Callen's advise received so far.

All in all, Callen is a great coach. He was energetic and upbeat. Never seemed to rush me but was firm and assertive with orders during the games. We did use Discord screen sharing while on a phone call so that was so much easier than expected. I believe the lesson lasted about an hour and we got three games in during that time. I would like to do another lesson but next time have another player with us so that we can get more games in faster and perhaps Coach can give tips for both of us.

I tried to pay Callen but he would not accept. I then said I want another lesson and he said we will have to figure out an arrangement. I was thinking $10-$15/hr but we never discussed it actually. 1 hour flew by too fast so I would like to schedule a 2 hour lesson for next time with 2 of us getting coached.
United States of America Cometk
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

For those wondering:

Coaching session included a warm up versus an AI, and an educational pause to discuss macro - that although current res is good (read: low), it incorporates more: that is, the amount of villagers on each res. While macro is good, it won't be good in 30 seconds. See - "where to look during a match."

Basic fundamentals like villager production and resource expenditure were discussed, as well as hotkey optimization to better accomplish this goal, and we got headkilla's find TC hotkey working properly - to only snap there if it's pressed twice.

We went over how to collect crates and why. Simple age 1 optimization can speed up a 5 coss shipment by 20 seconds, and that can be huge. It's not hard to do.

Basic card order was established and why (see: goodspeed's guide when regarding eco upgrades, resource crates, and unit shipments).

What's important is to not throw the gamut of optimizations on a player at once, but rather, ascertain weaknesses, and pirotize them with an ease:effectiveness ratio, so as to make the most gains with the littlest effort. And after that, introduce new mechanics/ideas.

For all recipients of coaching: practice makes perfect. Just as consistency is the most crucial factor in physical fitness, so it is in every skill, hobby. At the end of the day, in the words of Vic Ketchman, "players make plays." It doesn't matter how good the scheme is if individuals can't execute. That's a thing of smart repetition.

Coaching can be absolutely replaced by very diligent self study - but that's why it's a commodity. I've spent 300 hours reading true and bullshit fitness forums, and deciphered them. Personal trainers have too and more. I've spent 3k hours in aoe. That's why these services exist, because it's simply just a lot to understand yourself what to do, and why, and what not to do, and why, and where to go from there. Anecdotalism is in that sense, not such a bad thing. Insights (mental cues) can be expedited in the subject, but it's still a 2-way street. That's also part of the coach's job: motivate a willing motivatee, until he can grow beyond.

High PR doesn't necessarily correlate to teaching effectiveness, I'm sure @WickedCossack knows that as a career teacher. On just a random tangent: teaching is composed of a different skill set. Perhaps why it interests me is because my family is composed of teachers, and I am attempting to return to school to teach afterwards as an aspiration. It's rewarding to do the above, and most so, to accomplish it.

All professors have favorite students, for the reasons stated. That's why it's also in the student's favor to try.
Lancer

Post by HeadKilla »

I am looking for another player to join my coaching lesson with Coach Callen. I am PR 16ish ATM and would like someone PR20ish to practice with while Callen observes and provides us both with coaching during and after the games. Probably last 1-2 hours. Hopefully, it will be on a weekday morning, but coach has not seen the morning sun in many months so probably around 3pm CST. The day and time details will be worked out over the coming days.

Please reply if you are interested in joining my coaching session with Callen and I will be forever thankful.
United States of America occamslightsaber
Retired Contributor
ESO: L1BERTYPR1ME

Post by occamslightsaber »

HeadKilla wrote:I am looking for another player to join my coaching lesson with Coach Callen. I am PR 16ish ATM and would like someone PR20ish to practice with while Callen observes and provides us both with coaching during and after the games. Probably last 1-2 hours. Hopefully, it will be on a weekday morning, but coach has not seen the morning sun in many months so probably around 3pm CST. The day and time details will be worked out over the coming days.

Please reply if you are interested in joining my coaching session with Callen and I will be forever thankful.
I’d be down if you don’t mind 8-10pm CST.
The scientific term for China creating free units is Mitoe-sis.

I intend all my puns.
Lancer

Post by HeadKilla »

occamslightsaber wrote:
HeadKilla wrote:I am looking for another player to join my coaching lesson with Coach Callen. I am PR 16ish ATM and would like someone PR20ish to practice with while Callen observes and provides us both with coaching during and after the games. Probably last 1-2 hours. Hopefully, it will be on a weekday morning, but coach has not seen the morning sun in many months so probably around 3pm CST. The day and time details will be worked out over the coming days.

I’d be down if you don’t mind 8-10pm CST.
Thank you for your interest.
I don't usually stay awake that late these days and prefer mornings. However, I am still awaiting coach to determine what would work best with his schedule so that just may be the time we go with.
Germany lordraphael
Pro Player
EWTNWC LAN SilverAdvanced Division WinnerDonator 01

Post by lordraphael »

not good you let callen coach you. Gives that guy another excuse to dodge me.
breeze wrote: they cant even guess how much f***ing piece of stupid retarded they look they are trying to give lesson to people who are over pr35 and know the best mu. im pretty sure that we need a page that only pr30+ post and then we could have a nice discussins.
Lancer

Post by HeadKilla »

lordraphael wrote:not good you let callen coach you. Gives that guy another excuse to dodge me.
To be fair, it appears to me that just about everyone dodges you. :cry:
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

How can you dodge someone who's always afk
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Sweden Zutazuta
Howdah
zuta

Post by Zutazuta »

deleted_user wrote:For those wondering:

Coaching session included a warm up versus an AI, and an educational pause to discuss macro - that although current res is good (read: low), it incorporates more: that is, the amount of villagers on each res. While macro is good, it won't be good in 30 seconds. See - "where to look during a match."

Basic fundamentals like villager production and resource expenditure were discussed, as well as hotkey optimization to better accomplish this goal, and we got headkilla's find TC hotkey working properly - to only snap there if it's pressed twice.

We went over how to collect crates and why. Simple age 1 optimization can speed up a 5 coss shipment by 20 seconds, and that can be huge. It's not hard to do.

Basic card order was established and why (see: goodspeed's guide when regarding eco upgrades, resource crates, and unit shipments).

What's important is to not throw the gamut of optimizations on a player at once, but rather, ascertain weaknesses, and pirotize them with an ease:effectiveness ratio, so as to make the most gains with the littlest effort. And after that, introduce new mechanics/ideas.

For all recipients of coaching: practice makes perfect. Just as consistency is the most crucial factor in physical fitness, so it is in every skill, hobby. At the end of the day, in the words of Vic Ketchman, "players make plays." It doesn't matter how good the scheme is if individuals can't execute. That's a thing of smart repetition.

Coaching can be absolutely replaced by very diligent self study - but that's why it's a commodity. I've spent 300 hours reading true and bullshit fitness forums, and deciphered them. Personal trainers have too and more. I've spent 3k hours in aoe. That's why these services exist, because it's simply just a lot to understand yourself what to do, and why, and what not to do, and why, and where to go from there. Anecdotalism is in that sense, not such a bad thing. Insights (mental cues) can be expedited in the subject, but it's still a 2-way street. That's also part of the coach's job: motivate a willing motivatee, until he can grow beyond.

High PR doesn't necessarily correlate to teaching effectiveness, I'm sure @WickedCossack knows that as a career teacher. On just a random tangent: teaching is composed of a different skill set. Perhaps why it interests me is because my family is composed of teachers, and I am attempting to return to school to teach afterwards as an aspiration. It's rewarding to do the above, and most so, to accomplish it.

All professors have favorite students, for the reasons stated. That's why it's also in the student's favor to try.
Where to sign up?
Sweden Victor_swe
Lancer
Donator 01

Post by Victor_swe »

Its not really coaching. But this reminded me of The Day i brought some random pr22 guy? Into our clan.
Tbh i just thought he had an op nick name. So good he used it tiwce.
He was just an abitiousless boy at the time. Roumor has it he just want ed help with his spanish home work.
However that changed quickly and things spiraled out of control.
Before u knew it kid was recking university internet conecttions to fix ftj.
He later became president of aoe.
Be carefull what u start here. Ur actions May have consequences that will impact more than u think.
Dead hunts cant walk....

BrookG - "There is a G in everyone"
Great Britain samwise12
Pro Player
Summer 2015 winner
ESO: Samwise12

Post by samwise12 »

im pretty sure @Challe wrote that post
Sweden Zutazuta
Howdah
zuta

Post by Zutazuta »

Victor_swe wrote:Its not really coaching. But this reminded me of The Day i brought some random pr22 guy? Into our clan.
Tbh i just thought he had an op nick name. So good he used it tiwce.
He was just an abitiousless boy at the time. Roumor has it he just want ed help with his spanish home work.
However that changed quickly and things spiraled out of control.
Before u knew it kid was recking university internet conecttions to fix ftj.
He later became president of aoe.
Be carefull what u start here. Ur actions May have consequences that will impact more than u think.
LOL... I’d forgotten about the school internet part. Good memory
Lancer

Post by HeadKilla »

I am still looking for a sparring partner in the PR20ish range. It will be 2 hours of games with Coach Callen watching and providing in game advice and post game analysis. We are open on day and time, but really prefer weekday between 13-19 GMT. I plan on playing Russia and would like to get better against Otto and learn to deal with hand cavalry better.
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor
ECL Reigning ChampsDonator 01
ESO: Riotcoke
Clan: UwU

Post by Riotcoke »

I can play but I think I might be just over the level unfortunately

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
Lancer

Post by HeadKilla »

Riotcoke wrote:I can play but I think I might be just over the level unfortunately
Yeah, we already tried that before and it did not go so well. Thank you though for the offer. Maybe in a couple days after another lesson (2 tops) I will be to your level @Riotcoke and then we can try again :P

EDIT: Or if you drop LSD 1 hour before we start it will be more fun for me.
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor
ECL Reigning ChampsDonator 01
ESO: Riotcoke
Clan: UwU

Post by Riotcoke »

HeadKilla wrote:
Riotcoke wrote:I can play but I think I might be just over the level unfortunately
Yeah, we already tried that before and it did not go so well. Thank you though for the offer. Maybe in a couple days after another lesson (2 tops) I will be to your level @Riotcoke and then we can try again :P

EDIT: Or if you drop LSD 1 hour before we start it will be more fun for me.
Yeah sure I'll take a tab on the weekend and give you a message

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
Lancer

Post by HeadKilla »

@Shikari let me know if you have a day and time available to do this.

@raptiformica also if you wish to join me, let me know what day would be best.
Singapore Thrar
Retired Contributor
ESO: Thrar

Post by Thrar »

I'm PR 23 and mostly play French and a bit of China. If that interests you, I could make it between 13-16 GMT on most weekdays.
United States of America demon_
Crossbow
ESO: KoM_Inuyasha

Post by demon_ »

I'm down, I'm pr 22-23. In NA CST (-6) will be available the next couple of days. @HeadKilla
Germany rnmrtzk
Musketeer
ESO: rnmrtzk

Post by rnmrtzk »

@HeadKilla I think with my pr 22-23 I am also in your range! My main and so far only Civ that I play: France. So if you're looking for a 'France Bot' as a sparring partner, let me know... Maybe we can have some games on Thursday?

@demon_ & @Thrar
If you both also want to play some games, just text me!
look wrote:I Opened the TAD today
it looks like i was in paradise
Sweden Challe
Musketeer
ESO: Challe

Post by Challe »

samwise12 wrote:im pretty sure @Challe wrote that post
What the hell is going on in here bruv
Sweden Challe
Musketeer
ESO: Challe

Post by Challe »

rnmrtzk wrote:@HeadKilla I think with my pr 22-23 I am also in your range! My main and so far only Civ that I play: France. So if you're looking for a 'France Bot' as a sparring partner, let me know... Maybe we can have some games on Thursday?

@demon_ & @Thrar
If you both also want to play some games, just text me!

Hey can I join your gamings? My englando not best but it iz ok me thinko. We can do even 3v3 i show you my spainiard skills jejeje
Germany amiggo1999
Advanced Player
Donator 01
ESO: miggo1999

Post by amiggo1999 »

@Challe go away you noob
Image Image
Italy Mosx
Dragoon
ESO: Mosx