The Best AoE2 player plays AoE3

Australia Kawapasaka
ESOC Pro Team

Re: The Best AoE2 player plays AoE3

Post by Kawapasaka »

I blame bwinner for that defeat, personally. My distributivism > colbertism > eco theory build order is meta at the optimal level of play (MS up).
Holy See Imperial Noob
Lancer

Post by Imperial Noob »

Attachments
[RE SP] ImperialNoob[IN] & skirmisher1380[FR] & bwinner[OT] vs azertyuiopni[BR] & danielges[DU] & MBLSUX[BR] - Deccan.age3yrec
(1001.94 KiB) Downloaded 196 times
Deccan
Deccan
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

I like how it doesn't even show his PR in the rec preview. Viper ascends every power rating.
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah
ESO: gamevideo113

Post by gamevideo113 »

[Some people aspire to be pr30+, some people aspire to have fun, and some people aspire to play 3v3 Deccan.] - vividlyplain - 2019 Who (nationality) rape ?
stupid logic. noob players can say op?
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
Singapore Thrar
Retired Contributor
ESO: Thrar

Post by Thrar »

That was funny. I was surprised that apparently he was so overloaded with all the things going on that he forgot to make vils frequently.

The video has a good number of views, comparable to his normal AoE2 videos. Would be nice to see him play more frequently, maybe with some coaching or after preparing a bit on the builds.
No Flag Astaroth
Howdah

Post by Astaroth »

Well it's normal considering everything was pretty new for him.

But generally, I feel Aoe2 skills don't translate that well to Aoe2, aside from some basics (apm, micro).

Aoe2 is very much based on macro, micro, multitasking, strategical decision making. It is a flexible game in which players often win due to small advantages gained over time.

Aoe3 is instead much more reliant on timings and BOs. The player with a good civ, strong BO and timing will win most of the time vs someone who "just produces units and microes better", even if the first player often has an idle TC, mismacroes or throws a few units. Micro also only goes so far in aoe3 because most units are ranged and many units never miss, so you can't "out dance" your opponent as much as in aoe2. Due to the smaller maps, weaker buildings and reliance on natural res, aoe3 also allows little room for comebacks etc.

(obviously a good aoe2 player will still have the skills to become great at aoe3 and his skill ceiling might be higher, I'm just saying the games are so different that it's not as simple as learning some BOs, the card system and playing 200 games to become really good)
European Union scarm
Howdah
ESO: Malebranche

Post by scarm »

I mean Viper would get very good very fast if he actually knew the game tbh.
No Flag Astaroth
Howdah

Post by Astaroth »

Yeah, but I feel in Aoe3 there is more room for lame stuff/cheese etc, ie the "better RTS player" (micro, macro, apm, decision making) has a higher chance of losing games than in Aoe2.

If you have horrible hunts and no TP map as ger vs Russia, even a much better player will probably just die, no matter what he does. Whereas in aoe2, even if you have a bad map, you can still win by going forward, outmicroing etc.

Same with other stuff. If you just play normal and don't scout it, even a good player can lose to Piro FF or 2rax Jan rush.

All of that is much less of a problem in aoe2. Even if the opponent manages to hide an archery range or surprise tower rush you, you can still win. TC is strong he can't siege it down in age2 and it shoots a lot of arrows, so you will always at least be able to hold for a while, which gives you time for counter damage, raiding etc. If you have 20 Jans in base and only 5 cetan, you're basically just dead.
Italy Mosx
Dragoon
ESO: Mosx

Post by Mosx »

If u have 5 cetan against 20 Jan prob u are sarg
op mechanics, op build order :export: :coin: :ugly: :uglylol: :maniac:

https://www.twitch.tv/mosxgr
No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Post by tedere12 »