EP Win Rate Statistics

France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Re: EP Win Rate Statistics

Post by Kaiserklein »

Mitoe is right, nowadays it feels like everyone wants to play passive and go fortress no matter what, when in fact there's a lot of more aggressive colonial options. Brits being an obvious example, but also civs like france, iro, china, even germany sometimes.
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Australia Kawapasaka
ESOC Pro Team

Post by Kawapasaka »

Goodspeed wrote:
I_HaRRiiSoN_I wrote:
Show hidden quotes

4) GUA plays British into every match up :P
That doesn't explain the 39% win rate against Dutch, historically one of the easiest Brit MUs
But a small sample will do that

That's all me vs Sheckler.
Hungary Dsy
Lancer

Post by Dsy »

I think British should be buffed. Its played a lot and performing very bad.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

It might be wise to apply some statistics to this data, as without knowing the uncertainty of a certain point of data that point of data is essentially meaningless. I'm not great at statistics but as far as I could tell the optimal way to approach this problem is to consider this a binomial distribution. Then, as far as I can tell, it seems reasonable to assume that 2 * the standard deviation gives a 95% confidence interval, the general norm for significance (slight sidenote: it seems reasonable to me to approximate it this way, as the binomial distribution approaches a bell curve for large numbers, but if anyone knows how to do this more cleanly please let me know). So according to my 'research' on the internet, the standard deviation of a binomial distribution like the coinflip is determined by sd = sqrt (n * p * (1-p) ) with n the number of tries and p the probability of succes (a win). Using this and finding out the 95% confidence interval in winrate gives:

Civilization winrate +- 2 sigma
Iro 55.8 +- 3.89%
Spain 54.7 +- 4.75%
Russia 53.6 +- 2.99%
Portuguese 53.3 +- 4.90%
Aztec 52.6 +- 6.35%
India 52.1 +- 3.48%
Dutch 51.2 +- 3.42%
China 51.1 +- 3.85%
Germany 50.8 +- 2.89%
Japan 49.4 +- 3.05%
Ottoman 48.4 +- 4.04%
France 48.3 +- 2.71%
Sioux 47.0 +- 5.37%
British 42.2 +- 2.59%

Funnily enough only 3 civs differ significantly from 50%: brits with at best 45.79% winrate, iro with at worst a 51.91% and russia with at worst a 50.61% winrate. But it also kind of shows that it's hard to say much about balance using this. Aztec could be anywhere from the top civ with a large margin to the second worst civ for example. I only consider the British result to be odd and actually require some sort of explanation (which could be that british is too weak atm or that weaker players tend to play british).
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

You have to take the players into account.
For instance the top 8 has a 70% winrate regardless of the civ.
France bwinner
Howdah
Donator 01
ESO: bwinner

Post by bwinner »

RefluxSemantic wrote:It might be wise to apply some statistics to this data, as without knowing the uncertainty of a certain point of data that point of data is essentially meaningless. I'm not great at statistics but as far as I could tell the optimal way to approach this problem is to consider this a binomial distribution. Then, as far as I can tell, it seems reasonable to assume that 2 * the standard deviation gives a 95% confidence interval, the general norm for significance (slight sidenote: it seems reasonable to me to approximate it this way, as the binomial distribution approaches a bell curve for large numbers, but if anyone knows how to do this more cleanly please let me know). So according to my 'research' on the internet, the standard deviation of a binomial distribution like the coinflip is determined by sd = sqrt (n * p * (1-p) ) with n the number of tries and p the probability of succes (a win). Using this and finding out the 95% confidence interval in winrate gives:

Iro 55.8 +- 3.89%
Spain 54.7 +- 4.75%
Russia 53.6 +- 2.99%
Portuguese 53.3 +- 4.90%
Aztec 52.6 +- 6.35%
India 52.1 +- 3.48%
Dutch 51.2 +- 3.42%
China 51.1 +- 3.85%
Germany 50.8 +- 2.89%
Japan 49.4 +- 3.05%
Ottoman 48.4 +- 4.04%
France 48.3 +- 2.71%
Sioux 47.0 +- 5.37%
British 42.2 +- 2.59%

Funnily enough only 3 civs differ significantly from 50%: brits with at best 45.79% winrate, iro with at worst a 51.91% and russia with at worst a 50.61% winrate. But it also kind of shows that it's hard to say much about balance using this. Aztec could be anywhere from the top civ with a large margin to the second worst civ for example. I only consider the British result to be odd and actually require some sort of explanation (which could be that british is too weak atm or that weaker players tend to play british).

The best aproach would be to use bayesian interferences. Although what you did is fine and the confidence interval indeed works the same as for a gaussian for big numbers binomial.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

RefluxSemantic wrote:It might be wise to apply some statistics to this data, as without knowing the uncertainty of a certain point of data that point of data is essentially meaningless. I'm not great at statistics but as far as I could tell the optimal way to approach this problem is to consider this a binomial distribution. Then, as far as I can tell, it seems reasonable to assume that 2 * the standard deviation gives a 95% confidence interval, the general norm for significance (slight sidenote: it seems reasonable to me to approximate it this way, as the binomial distribution approaches a bell curve for large numbers, but if anyone knows how to do this more cleanly please let me know). So according to my 'research' on the internet, the standard deviation of a binomial distribution like the coinflip is determined by sd = sqrt (n * p * (1-p) ) with n the number of tries and p the probability of succes (a win). Using this and finding out the 95% confidence interval in winrate gives:

Iro 55.8 +- 3.89%
Spain 54.7 +- 4.75%
Russia 53.6 +- 2.99%
Portuguese 53.3 +- 4.90%
Aztec 52.6 +- 6.35%
India 52.1 +- 3.48%
Dutch 51.2 +- 3.42%
China 51.1 +- 3.85%
Germany 50.8 +- 2.89%
Japan 49.4 +- 3.05%
Ottoman 48.4 +- 4.04%
France 48.3 +- 2.71%
Sioux 47.0 +- 5.37%
British 42.2 +- 2.59%

There is much more uncertaintly due to players of certain levels playing certain civs more than others. People mentioned this earlier but a civ like Brit doesn't really get played at the top level, so there will be a disproportional amount of games in there where the Brit player was significantly worse than their opponent. With data as meaningless as this, statistics don't make it any more meaningful.

What you would need is a data set where games are only counted if the difference between the players' elo ratings is low enough, say 100 JP elo points or less.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Goodspeed wrote:
RefluxSemantic wrote:Funnily enough only 3 civs differ significantly from 50%: brits with at best 45.79% winrate, iro with at worst a 51.91% and russia with at worst a 50.61% winrate. But it also kind of shows that it's hard to say much about balance using this. Aztec could be anywhere from the top civ with a large margin to the second worst civ for example. I only consider the British result to be odd and actually require some sort of explanation (which could be that british is too weak atm or that weaker players tend to play british).
There is much more uncertaintly due to players of certain levels playing certain civs more than others. People mentioned this earlier but a civ like Brit doesn't really get played at the top level, so there will be a disproportional amount of games in there where the Brit player was significantly worse than their opponent. With data as meaningless as this, statistics don't make it any more meaningful.

What you would need is a data set where games are only counted if the difference between the players' elo ratings is low enough, say 100 JP elo points or less.

At which point the data set would probably become very small and unusable I suspect. I think an easy way to test the hypothesis that weaker british players are overrepresented in the data is to actually gather the average ELO for each civ. That could at least give a vague indication as to whether something like that can explain the low british winrate.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Ah yeah you can actually do that because due to the way elo works you know that a 100 elo difference means 66% win rate. This would actually make the data much more meaningful. You'd still have some issues (like some civs being easy to exploit but hard to win with at the top level), but I daresay you would be able to draw some conclusions based on it.

Average elo per civ also would be a pretty interesting stat on its own. Someone do this pls

(Would have to be JP elo since EP elo ladders aren't close to settled)
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

Spain still needs to be buffed, though
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Post by zoom »

Great job on this, guys! It's interesting.
Dsy wrote:I think British should be buffed. Its played a lot and performing very bad.
From what I've seen it's played little. It remains more popular with less good players, though.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

These stats are meaningless because it depends so much on the player.
Some guys have 80% regardless of the civ while some have 40%
France Guigs
Tournament Admin
ESO: Guigs

Post by Guigs »

zoom wrote:Great job on this, guys! It's interesting.
Dsy wrote:I think British should be buffed. Its played a lot and performing very bad.
From what I've seen it's played little. It remains more popular with less good players, though.
Problem with brits is counterpick anyway, any good Brit map is good for Russia or india
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

The map pool isnt ideal for brits and tbh civs like jap iro (and german on low res) beat brit aswell.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Because most players play primarily the standard euro civs and because most players are bad, and because most good players are not limited by familiarity, it makes perfect sense.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Post by zoom »

Lecastete wrote:
zoom wrote:Great job on this, guys! It's interesting.
Problem with brits is counterpick anyway, any good Brit map is good for Russia or india
It's certainly one problem. It isn't very relevant outside of events, though, which is where this data-set comes from, I gather.
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor
ESO: BrookG

Post by BrookG »

I have always signaled that referencing winrates is tricky. Total picks are the most important in that aspect, they can throw off the rate. And then there is popularity of a civ. The more popular a civ is the more likely it is their winrates are low to mid. There are more opportunities one can mess their game up.
Correlation doesn't mean causation.
http://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

"mr.brookg go buy jeans and goto the club with somppuli" - Princeofkabul, July 2018
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

There are also more opportunities for their opponent to mess up?
Popularity only has an effect on win rate if it's different per skill level.
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor

Post by BrookG »

Goodspeed wrote:There are also more opportunities for their opponent to mess up?
That's why I mentioned mid too.

"mr.brookg go buy jeans and goto the club with somppuli" - Princeofkabul, July 2018
France Le Hussard sur le toit
Howdah
ESO: LeHussardsurletoit

Post by Le Hussard sur le toit »

As was mentioned already by someone else, the only way to give some sense to those data is to compare for each civ the expected score based on elo to the actual results, and see which civs performs generally worse than expected. The way elo works, only the relative strengths of the players count.
ESOC : came for the game, stayed for the drama.
France chronique
Advanced Player
ESO: poissondu44

Post by chronique »

Where are the entire data set? (not just the win% of eache civ).
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

BrookG wrote:
Goodspeed wrote:There are also more opportunities for their opponent to mess up?
Why not high?
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor

Post by BrookG »

Goodspeed wrote:
BrookG wrote:
Why not high?
Because bad players are more than pros

Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor

Post by BrookG »

chronique wrote:Where are the entire data set? (not just the win% of eache civ).
I have it here for you. The data is from EP6 games since mid August. The data is compiled from lemmings121 and Buckethead, and I simply included some visualisation. The csv is here.
For more data look here: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=17351

France chronique
Advanced Player
ESO: poissondu44

Post by chronique »

8 game aztek vs spain :O