How To Say

United States of America musketeer925
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: musketeer925

How To Say

Post by musketeer925 »

There a lot of Age of Empires-related words that seem to be commonly mispronounced. I suspect some of this is due to the influence of different members' native languages that might have similar words with different pronunciations, and some of it is just due to unfamiliar words that we only see in the context of AoE3, so we basically do our best and the community, thanks to casting, it tends to standardize on certain pronunciations (right or not).

Let me know if I'm wrong about any of these. This is mostly me trying to correct myself on things I struggle with. Feel free to contribute more words or examples.

Iroquois
I-RO-KOI, not I-RO-KWA (Turns out both are acceptable!)

Casters: Mitoe, edeholland
Correct: one, two

Cuirassier
This one some people seem to get right or close, but I've never been too sure of the correct pronunciation.

Casters: Mitoe: "cuir-ass-seer", Cometk (sounds correct to me?)
Correct (?): "cuir-ass-si-ay"
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Re: How To Say

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

The Dutch advanced church units always have an interesting pronunciation from the casters.
Austria Jerimuno
Advanced Player
ESO: Jerimuno
GameRanger ID: 9241516

Post by Jerimuno »

Can you tell us all how to pronounce these then? :D
Canada Warno
Dragoon
Donator 08
ESO: Warno

Post by Warno »

musketeer925 wrote:
Iroquois
I-RO-KOI, not I-RO-KWA

Dialect can change depending on location. I am from the part of Canada where Iroquois had a lot of influence - the city of 'Iroquois' is about a 40 minute drive from where I currently live.

Usually in Upper New York State they say I-RO-KOI.
In Canada, we say I-RO-KWA.

In French the suffix 'ois' is pronounced "WA". Considering the name Iroquois was formed by the french colonists I believe the second pronunciation is the best.
Although it may not even matter because Iroquois was a name given to their confederacy, they called themselves something different.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

Iroquois and cuirassier seems french words to me. So just trust google translator or any French player.
Image Image Image
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

I think both of your examples (Iroquois, Cuirassier) are pronounced wrongly by the sources you cite, although the cuirassier guy is getting as close as you can get given his english pronunciation skills. He puts emphasis on the wrong syllable though. Both examples happen to be of French origin.

Taking the English language as basis, the "ois" from Iroquois has to be pronounced roughly like "wa" while the "qu" is just a usual "k".

The word "cuirassier" is, in my opinion, not possible to describe with English pronunciation rules, since the language lacks the vowel you pronounce when using the French ending "ier". It cannot even be created by using a combination of letters. Interestingly, Mitoes pronunciation is very close to the German "Kürassier".

source: I like linguistics and learn French currently.
Whatever is written above: this is no financial advice.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by musketeer925 »

Warno wrote:Usually in Upper New York State they say I-RO-KOI.
In Canada, we say I-RO-KWA.

In French the suffix 'ois' is pronounced "WA". Considering the name Iroquois was formed by the french colonists I believe the second pronunciation is the best.
Although it may not even matter because Iroquois was a name given to this tribe, they called themselves something different.

Interesting. The second "correct" link I gave appeared to be someone of Iroquois heritage, using the "American" pronunciation (in addition to their preferred "Haudenosaunee"). I'd be interested if there are people of Iroquois heritage on the Canadian side of the border who use the "Canadian" pronunciation.

the city of 'Iroquois' is about a 40 minute drive from where I currently live

The pronunciation of city names can be quite interesting. Here in Ohio, there is a city called "Versailles", and it is pronounced by locals as VER-SALES, unlike the French palace. Russia, Ohio, is pronounced ROO-SHE.
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by musketeer925 »

duckzilla wrote:I think both of your examples (Iroquois, Cuirassier) are pronounced wrongly by the sources you cite, although the cuirassier guy is getting as close as you can get given his english pronunciation skills. He puts emphasis on the wrong syllable though. Both examples happen to be of French origin.

It may be that I have no understanding of French. :P

However, I feel pretty strongly that the Iroquois pronunciation is an acceptable pronunciation, at least for Americans. The Iroquois Confederacy is a common topic in American history classes, and I've never heard it pronounced the French way except for in the AoE3 community. @Warno's assertion that it is also the common pronunciation in Canada does convince me that both are acceptable. Would love to hear from some other Americans if their experience is the same as mine.

(EDIT: Ah, yeah, looks like wikipedia's pronunciation rules agree that both are okay: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iroquois)

He puts emphasis on the wrong syllable though. Both examples happen to be of French origin.

Would definitely like to hear a clip with the proper French pronunciation.
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor
ESO: dansil92

Post by dansil92 »

Ear-oh-kwa is the francophone pronunciation, and as far as i am aware, the correct way. Ear-oh-koy has always seemed to me like how an uneducated English only speaker would stammer the word out
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

Jerimuno wrote:Can you tell us all how to pronounce these then? :D

No way to explain I'm afraid. Try translate: Waardegelder and Stadhouder.
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor
ECL Reigning ChampsDonator 01
ESO: Riotcoke
Clan: UwU

Post by Riotcoke »

I need help with this, my pronunciation is terrible.

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
Korea South Vinyanyérë
Retired Contributor
Donator 06
ESO: duolckrad, Kuvira
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by Vinyanyérë »

Before the LAN when I was visiting the Netherlands I asked Goodspeed what city he lived in. He responded by clearing his throat, and I responded by pretending to understand what that meant. Later I found out that he wasn't clearing his throat and that's just how you say "Gouda".
duck
:mds:
imo
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah
ESO: gamevideo113

Post by gamevideo113 »

I think neither of the two cuirassier pronounciations you linked are exactly correct.
Cuirassier should be pronounced like "Ku-ras-yeh" afaik (emphasis on -yeh)
If you want to get an idea of how the -yeh sounds, open the game and listen to a cdb when you task it to a mill, he will say "fermier". The suffix should sound the same in the two words.
The first "r" of cuirassier is meant to be guttural, while the second is silent, i think.
[Some people aspire to be pr30+, some people aspire to have fun, and some people aspire to play 3v3 Deccan.] - vividlyplain - 2019 Who (nationality) rape ?
stupid logic. noob players can say op?
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

Vinyanyérë wrote:Before the LAN when I was visiting the Netherlands I asked Goodspeed what city he lived in. He responded by clearing his throat, and I responded by pretending to understand what that meant. Later I found out that he wasn't clearing his throat and that's just how you say "Gouda".

Haha yeah, Dutch is a funny language. They have lots of these tones between k and h. Basically any "g" is pronounced as a "kh" which sounds like clearing ones throat.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
European Union scarm
Howdah
ESO: Malebranche

Post by scarm »

I like to think that cuirassier is pronounced like kü-rass-ier, the ier being the french thing they use for jobs as well, as in infirmier for example. Kü-rass because its of french origin after all, german pronounciation being kürass, and the french pronounciation sounds kinda similar.

https://defr.dict.cc/?s=cuirass%C3%A9 (This means cuirass or chestplate)
+ the ending of this https://defr.dict.cc/?s=infirmier (which is a nurse). The -ier or -ierre ending is one of the french endings for jobs, and a cuirassier basically is a guy whose job it is to wear a cuirass. You can also listen to by clicking on the little icons.

Finally found a good source:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tE2Z8e_KCvQ
India Challenger_Marco
ESOC Media Team
ESO: challenger_marco

Post by Challenger_Marco »

ask how to say zamburak to darksonic63 aka SWF_DarkSultan perfect accent.
:nwc:
Singapore Thrar
Retired Contributor
ESO: Thrar

Post by Thrar »

The Chinese pikes are pronounced as "Chiang". That's a soft CH sound, not a K and not a QU.
The Fuchuan likewise is pronounced with a soft CH, not a K.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

Cüirassye
Irokwa
Koorer deh bwa

Then again you'd need to pronounce the r's the french way, which is pretty hard for non french people I think.
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
United States of America GiBthedurrty
Lancer
Donator 01
Clan: YumiW

Post by GiBthedurrty »

queerassiay
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Honestly who cares. It’s not reasonable to expect unpaid casters to have the correct pronunciation of words which do not originate from their native language. Just as long as people understand what they are trying to say( the point of language is to communicate after all) it’s okay.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

duckzilla wrote:
Vinyanyérë wrote:Before the LAN when I was visiting the Netherlands I asked Goodspeed what city he lived in. He responded by clearing his throat, and I responded by pretending to understand what that meant. Later I found out that he wasn't clearing his throat and that's just how you say "Gouda".

Haha yeah, Dutch is a funny language. They have lots of these tones between k and h. Basically any "g" is pronounced as a "kh" which sounds like clearing ones throat.

lol G doesn't sound like KH at all in dutch :P but it's an easy way to spot who grew up in NL and also which part of NL and who didn't.
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

umeu wrote:
duckzilla wrote:

lol G doesn't sound like KH at all in dutch :P but it's an easy way to spot who grew up in NL and also which part of NL and who didn't.

Really? Had a conversation with a Dutch guy at my faculty recently who told me that the usual German pronunciation of "Goes" and "Groningen" would be wrong, but that it is rather "Khus/Chus" and "Khroningen/Chroningen". Granted, the second g in Groningen is not pronounced as a "kh/ch".

Beati pauperes spiritu.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

there's no comparable sound in English tbh. But ye, people who can't make that sound would make some sort of KCH sound. But it's still kinda like a G like in for example growl or Garja, but then longer. Like how you can roll an R, but then you roll the G.
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

duckzilla wrote:
umeu wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Really? Had a conversation with a Dutch guy at my faculty recently who told me that the usual German pronunciation of "Goes" and "Groningen" would be wrong, but that it is rather "Khus/Chus" and "Khroningen/Chroningen". Granted, the second g in Groningen is not pronounced as a "kh/ch".

I think you misunderstood him or something, because that's wrong. The "G" is pronounced like you're clearing your throat. It's hard to explain because even google translate and the likes don't pronounce it correctly. Dutch is a hard language because it's a mix between English and German and it basically became an unholy melting pot over time.
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:
duckzilla wrote:
Show hidden quotes

I think you misunderstood him or something, because that's wrong. The "G" is pronounced like you're clearing your throat. It's hard to explain because even google translate and the likes don't pronounce it correctly. Dutch is a hard language because it's a mix between English and German and it basically became an unholy melting pot over time.

Now I am utterly confused, because "The "G" is pronounced like you're clearing your throat" is precisely what I tried to say :?
Isn't it comparable to the German sound at the end of "auch"?

Beati pauperes spiritu.