ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

The future of Escape

Post by edeholland »

https://www.aoezone.net/threads/future- ... ost-631911

:( It has been amazing while it lasted, I'll always look back at the NWC LAN as an incredible event which made my hobby a lot more real. Thanks @zeroempires @robo @Hamu3l and our beloved @Interjection. I hope we'll see you around in the age communities for ages to come!
Australia Kawapasaka
ESOC Pro Team

Re: The future of Escape

Post by Kawapasaka »

:cry:
Great Britain TheNameDaniel
Advanced Player
Donator 01
ESO: danielek

Post by TheNameDaniel »

What happens to the team now?
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

I read that.
Rip :(
India gh0st
Lancer
ESO: gh0st007

Post by gh0st »

:sad:
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor
ESO: BrookG

Post by BrookG »

These news were so sad. You guys gave us hope and brought new light in the games :cry: :cry:
Correlation doesn't mean causation.
http://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

"mr.brookg go buy jeans and goto the club with somppuli" - Princeofkabul, July 2018
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

TheNameDaniel wrote:What happens to the team now?
Escape is likely going to wind down too, after the studio shuts down we will do what we can to continue with the channel from home. However, I anticipate this will be a short-term thing as we seek employment elsewhere.
United States of America giveuanxiety
Advanced Player
Donator 02
ESO: GiveUAnxiety

Post by giveuanxiety »

Wow that is really sad, and tbh unexpected from me. Timing was definitely unfortunate with aoe2 de coming out soon and that would be their best timing to grow. Ya I suppose they were too ambitious and maybe should of crunched the numbers more before making the decision. Also giving out all that prize money to players, perhaps they could of done a smaller prize pool and use the money to pay the bills. Either way huge thank you to them for doing everything they did. I hope their still satisfied even if it didnt work out long term. They got great experiences and memories, and they chased a dream of theirs instead of playing it safe and looking back in life and wondering "what if"
Lasol wrote: :hmm: just Saw a YouTube video with giveyouanexiaty. He Said check youre stove, if you Want to improve youre aoe3 skills.

WHAT does check your stove means? And how do you do it?
India Challenger_Marco
ESOC Media Team
ESO: challenger_marco

Post by Challenger_Marco »

wtf what happened?
:nwc:
United States of America giveuanxiety
Advanced Player
Donator 02
ESO: GiveUAnxiety

Post by giveuanxiety »

I wish they would of been a little more open about the financial situation and they might of got some more help to pay the pills. I assume they were renting the studio, I guess they didnt sign a 1 year lease. I guess they were just paying month to month with no lease end date.
Lasol wrote: :hmm: just Saw a YouTube video with giveyouanexiaty. He Said check youre stove, if you Want to improve youre aoe3 skills.

WHAT does check your stove means? And how do you do it?
Great Britain TheNameDaniel
Advanced Player
Donator 01
ESO: danielek

Post by TheNameDaniel »

giveuanxiety wrote:I wish they would of been a little more open about the financial situation and they might of got some more help to pay the pills. I assume they were renting the studio, I guess they didnt sign a 1 year lease. I guess they were just paying month to month with no lease end date.

Yeah a studio that size was probably very expensive to rent per month.
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

That's unexpected. I didn't realize the LANs didn't pay off the way they were expecting. I hope everyone involved will bounce back from this and I wish them the best in the foreseeable future. Hopefully we'll see you guys stick around for some time!
India Challenger_Marco
ESOC Media Team

I thought escape would boom aoe3 gaming industry as well as aoe2 much more......im really disaapointed...i hope best for them to be succesfful in their life!
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

No that doesn't matter. In its current state esports isn't a profitable venture, in the same way that Tinder, snapchat, and uber are all losing money. The idea is you get backing from a large company willing to invest in an emerging market and understanding that the venture isn't going to immediately profitable. That's how most major esports orgs stay open.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Escape gave us the AoE3 LAN and for that, forever grateful.
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

deleted_user wrote:Escape gave us the AoE3 LAN and for that, forever grateful.

Yeah, now I'm even sadder that I didn't get to attend that. I was naively almost expecting another LAN at some point. Well, maybe I'll see you guys in DE somewhere.
India Challenger_Marco
ESOC Media Team

I thought i could come to escape studious one day ...but one that dream....erased :(
United States of America Papist
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Papist

Post by Papist »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:That's unexpected. I didn't realize the LANs didn't pay off the way they were expecting. I hope everyone involved will bounce back from this and I wish them the best in the foreseeable future. Hopefully we'll see you guys stick around for some time!

Realistically, there's no way tournaments for an 18 and 14 year old game respectively are going to pay off enough to support an e-sports studio. I think these guys definitely had the right idea, they were just too ambitious/impatient. If they had started small and gotten their name out there with a couple of events, then expanded when the DEs and AoE4 were released it might have been a different story.
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
India Challenger_Marco
ESOC Media Team

Papist wrote:
Mr_Bramboy wrote:That's unexpected. I didn't realize the LANs didn't pay off the way they were expecting. I hope everyone involved will bounce back from this and I wish them the best in the foreseeable future. Hopefully we'll see you guys stick around for some time!

Realistically, tournaments for an 18 and 14 year old game respectively aren't going to pay off enough to support an e-sports studio regardless of how they're run. I think these guys definitely had the right idea, they were just too ambitious. If they had started small and gotten their name out there with a couple of small events, then expanded when the DEs and AoE4 were released it might have been a different story.

Past is Past can't change it now :(
Great Britain Interjection
Howdah
Donator 04
ESO: Interjection

Post by Interjection »

Zak was going to post about our closing down on ESOC as well as AoEZone, but is currently traveling so must have lost connection and wasn't able to.

@giveuanxiety It's more about Escape's lack of momentum this year than pennies we could have saved here & there to go a few extra months. If we could start over tomorrow with all the experience we've gained, and the DEs & AoE4 being that bit closer, then yes I imagine things could have gone better. EDIT: We were functionally renting a warehouse. The initial contract was for a year, after that you have to sign for two years at a time. All the stuff you could see inside it was bought & owned by Escape. We will be selling all the assets as best we can before Christmas.

The project was a lot of fun and perhaps the experience will help carry me onto bigger things. Above all else though, I'm very pleased to have made The New World Championship happen.

What's next from me? I'll be around just like I have been for the last 7 years
United States of America Papist
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Papist

Post by Papist »

Challenger_Marco wrote:
Papist wrote:

Realistically, tournaments for an 18 and 14 year old game respectively aren't going to pay off enough to support an e-sports studio regardless of how they're run. I think these guys definitely had the right idea, they were just too ambitious. If they had started small and gotten their name out there with a couple of small events, then expanded when the DEs and AoE4 were released it might have been a different story.

Past is Past can't change it now :(

Yes, but we learn from it and hopefully not repeat the same mistakes in the future.
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
European Union scarm
Howdah
ESO: Malebranche

Post by scarm »

This really is heartbreaking, thank you guys so much for the amazing event that was the NWC (and also the ECL).
Germany eulergauss
Crossbow

Post by eulergauss »

Really sad :sad:
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

giveuanxiety wrote:Wow that is really sad, and tbh unexpected from me. Timing was definitely unfortunate with aoe2 de coming out soon and that would be their best timing to grow. Ya I suppose they were too ambitious and maybe should of crunched the numbers more before making the decision. Also giving out all that prize money to players, perhaps they could of done a small prize pool and use the money to pay the bills. Either way huge thank you to them for doing everything they did. I hope their still satisfied even if it didnt work out long term. They got great experiences and memories, and they chased a dream of theirs instead of playing it safe and looking back in life and wondering "what if"

It seemed to be expected though. I have no idea how a channel of that size would ever succeed in paying the bills of all the people involved. It was an admirable but very risky endeavour. I think it was clearly not working out well enough when you just look at how often they were streaming with not that many viewers. I just can't even see that giving one person enough income for a living. It's only a bit unfortunate that they couldn't last until aoe2DE, which could maybe give them a bit of a boost. Although I honestly doubt it'd raise their viewership to the point where they'd be able to sustain themselves.

I really appreciate the content they created a lot. I hope people involved didn't lose a lot of money or their investments because of this and I wish them the best of luck finding a new job. I think what they did meant a lot for this community and I don't think people will forget what they did. Maybe they can try this again when aoe4 releases? Because they sure did a good job at it.
Germany Lukas_L99
Pro Player
Donator 01
ESO: Lukas_L99

Post by Lukas_L99 »

:(