The future of Escape

United States of America Amsel_
Howdah
ESO: The_Amsel

Re: The future of Escape

Post by Amsel_ »

This is sad to hear. I've been wondering about Escape's finances from the start. It seemed so unlikely that the project could sustain a studio and multiple employees just off of donations from the AoE community that I presumed it was just a front for Microsoft ahead of its new installments in the franchise. I'd be interested to hear more about Escape's business-side history though. Did they reach out to any other companies? Was there an attempt to draw in new users, or to monetize the existing playerbase? How did you guys raise capital? Did you try hosting events targeting the local population? Etc. The quality was quite impressive though. It makes me wonder if you guys could expand beyond AoE, and work as contractors for other people hosting events and such.

However, the most important question is... did you use quickbooks for your accounting?
Netherlands onabudget
Crossbow
ESO: onabudget

Post by onabudget »

This is just so sad. Thank you Robo, Ham, Zak and Will for the amazing content that you have provided us with for as long as it lasted!

It is a relief that you will still be around @Interjection , I just got here and I'm not ready to say goodbye to you! :grin:
I'm not a smurf, I'm just very inconsistent ^_^
Holy See Imperial Noob
Lancer

Post by Imperial Noob »

RIP Escape

For a moment it felt as if the colony had two town centers.
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger
ESO: lemmings121

Post by lemmings121 »

So sad news. I was hoping Escape would get bigger with aoe2de lauch and keep going strong with our community + other aoe games.

thanks for the awesome content provided and gl in future projects!
Great Britain thomasgreen6
Lancer
ESO: Thomasgreen6

Post by thomasgreen6 »

Wtf now I have to play LAN vs my brother again on a laptop from 2003 :(

Thank you for hosting great events and creating great content (and inviting me @Interjection). Good luck for the future
'I'm gonna win this and I'm just gonna enjoy it' - Tibia 2k18

http://www.Twitch.tv/thomasgreen6
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

:sad:
Hippocrits are the worst of animals. I love elifants.
United States of America GiBthedurrty
Lancer
Donator 01
Clan: YumiW

Post by GiBthedurrty »

Sargsyan wrote:
GiBthedurrty wrote:hpc goes to prison now this. AOE DEAD SAD GIB! ONLY WAS IS HPC IS FREED AND COMES BACK

why is HPC in prison?

I heard he raped kaiser was on twitch.
Brazil Luciofrancosi
Skirmisher
ESO: luciofrancosi

Post by Luciofrancosi »

This is really sad to hear!! You guys did such an amazing job!! The events, the quality of the streams, the professionalism!! It makes me regret not going to Manchester to watch the lan event even more as I hoped maybe I could be there next year!!
I really wish you guys the best of luck, thanks everything you guys have done!! You really brought a huge amount of joy to this community!!
"Supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting"

Sun Tzu - The art of war
Austria Kevsoft
Retired Contributor

Post by Kevsoft »

Just noticed it :( . I was really hoping that after the AOE2 & AOE3 tournaments it would attract enough attention to make it sustainable. Escape has definitely brought AOE tournaments to the next level.
Austria supahons
Dragoon
ESO: supahons

Post by supahons »

Kevsoft wrote:Just noticed it :( . I was really hoping that after the AOE2 & AOE3 tournaments it would attract enough attention to make it sustainable. Escape has definitely brought AOE tournaments to the next level.

yes, unfortunately it wasn't backed by a generous patron or corporate sponsor. (that was my assumption)
Denmark crjensen4
Dragoon
Donator 07
ESO: crjensen4

Post by crjensen4 »

So sad
You guys did an amazing job and for that you deserve a huge thanks.
While I agree with many others here in the topic of asking the community for help it is ofc your decision.
@Interjection I would like to see an inventory list as I may be interested in acquiring some items.
Thanks.
Great Britain Interjection
Howdah
Donator 04
ESO: Interjection

Post by Interjection »

Thank you <3

I'll post the inventory publicly when we go through it
Italy Mosx
Dragoon
ESO: Mosx

Post by Mosx »

Thanks for all guys, rip
op mechanics, op build order :export: :coin: :ugly: :uglylol: :maniac:

https://www.twitch.tv/mosxgr
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Can't say I didn't see this coming. There was no realistic way in which you could keep such an expensive production setup by covering games that have a very niche audience.

If Microsoft's AOE4 launch makes enough waves, something like this could become viable, but there are lots of ifs.
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

I can't be the only one to think that the LAN tournament is worthy of being a yearly tradition.
But who would have the Will-power to organize something like that?
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
No Flag Astaroth
Howdah

Post by Astaroth »

More like, the money.
Latvia harcha
Gendarme

Post by harcha »

I don't think a big prize pool is necessary to get this community together, do you?
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
European Union scarm
Howdah
ESO: Malebranche

Post by scarm »

It is not about the prizepool. It is about flights, rooms, and places to sleep. Also Equipment.
Latvia harcha
Gendarme

Post by harcha »

If i recall correctly in the stream of LAN there were quite a lot of people spectating IRL outside of the 8 players so I think it is reasonable to expect similar number to show up somewhere in central europe without sponsored transport or accomodations.

I think the biggest problem is the actual organization and location. Then again LAN events are being organized all the time, we could just crash one of those...
United States of America HeadKilla
Lancer
The Big Game Hunter - Bronze ElephantDonator Best
ESO: Headkilla

Post by HeadKilla »

harcha wrote:If i recall correctly in the stream of LAN there were quite a lot of people spectating IRL outside of the 8 players so I think it is reasonable to expect similar number to show up somewhere in central europe without sponsored transport or accomodations.

I think the biggest problem is the actual organization and location. Then again LAN events are being organized all the time, we could just crash one of those...
Dont visitor's to central Europe typically lose organs on the black market?
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

HeadKilla wrote:
harcha wrote:If i recall correctly in the stream of LAN there were quite a lot of people spectating IRL outside of the 8 players so I think it is reasonable to expect similar number to show up somewhere in central europe without sponsored transport or accomodations.

Dont visitor's to central Europe typically lose organs on the black market?
lol, no
European Union scarm
Howdah
ESO: Malebranche

Post by scarm »

Well flights for 8 people from potentially all over the world (at least 1-2 transatlantic, maybe from asia) alone are potentially quite expensive.
United States of America HeadKilla
Lancer
The Big Game Hunter - Bronze ElephantDonator Best
ESO: Headkilla

Post by HeadKilla »

I remember when LAN's meant each player brought their own equipment, except desk and maybe chair. Providing the equipment for players is certainly a huge up front cost.

Continental airfare is an insane cost. I looked into flights to/from Turkey to US and it was like $1200 on the low side with layovers to boot.

What country has the largest top level player base? I could pretty easily host a LAN in NA, but I would not want to take on the travel costs and such.
Australia Kawapasaka
ESOC Pro Team

Post by Kawapasaka »

HeadKilla wrote: What country has the largest top level player base?
I think we all know the answer to that #HonHonHon
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor
ESO: BrookG

Post by BrookG »

For the aoe3 LAN we gathered around 30-40 people
Correlation doesn't mean causation.
http://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

"mr.brookg go buy jeans and goto the club with somppuli" - Princeofkabul, July 2018