Modem and router

United States of America giveuanxiety
Advanced Player
Donator 02
ESO: GiveUAnxiety

Modem and router

Post by giveuanxiety »

So I just bought a new modem and router. I was previously renting a router from Comcast but I wanted to finally buy one so I wouldn’t be paying each month to rent one. The one I was renting was good for my internet, so I wanted to buy one that is just as good as that or better. I went to Best Buy and they recommended buying a modem and a router, because it will basically increase my internet speed. I think I bought a slightly cheap router because it’s for a 1 bedroom, but basically there is not Ethernet space or plug to connect the modem and the router. I’ll post a pic of the router, and my modem is a netgear. I don’t know much about this stuff. Should I return both? And get a 2 in 1 modem/router like what I was previously renting?
Attachments
5F6B639A-5211-4917-98B4-BA0321D88A3D.jpeg
Lasol wrote: :hmm: just Saw a YouTube video with giveyouanexiaty. He Said check youre stove, if you Want to improve youre aoe3 skills.

WHAT does check your stove means? And how do you do it?
United States of America musketeer925
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: musketeer925

Re: Modem and router

Post by musketeer925 »

I’ll post a pic of the router, and my modem is a netgear
The arris is your modem, the netgear is your router.

Looks like this particular modem has 1 ethernet port on the back, which should connect to the WAN ethernet port on your router. In the purple region in the pic below. Back of your modem should look like this:
https://www.arris.com/surfboard/product ... ems/sb6183

And a common netgear router back:

The WAN Ethernet port is the yellow one in this pic. It's not always yellow, but generally separated a bit from the others. If you need more help, you can post your router model number.

I agree with best buy that you will probably get a better WiFi connection using the netgear router instead of a 2-in-1. However, for gaming/streaming you should probably go wired to your PC anyway, in which case it doesn't really matter. I'd worry more about watching videos on your smartphone/tablet/laptop. If you didn't have problems with that before, then a 2-in-1 is probably fine. High-end routers are mostly either for fighting the dense-apartment arms race where you only get good signal if your router is stronger than your neighbors, or for large homes. A small, isolated home probably doesn't need anything too great.

For the best Wi-Fi signal, place your router in a high place.

I am a big cybersecurity nerd, so make sure you use non-default passwords and update firmware on any devices you end up with. :smile:
United States of America giveuanxiety
Advanced Player
Donator 02
ESO: GiveUAnxiety

Post by giveuanxiety »

Ok ya I had them set up the way you said and I couldn’t get the internet working. I don’t care about WiFi on my phone, I just want what will be best for streaming. I use an wired Ethernet connection for my pc. What do you suggest I do? If you are up to it any suggestions from bestbuy website would be appreciated. Thanks
Lasol wrote: :hmm: just Saw a YouTube video with giveyouanexiaty. He Said check youre stove, if you Want to improve youre aoe3 skills.

WHAT does check your stove means? And how do you do it?
United States of America musketeer925
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: musketeer925

Post by musketeer925 »

For wired, basically anything is okay. Pretty much all consumer hardware exceed by far the speeds of your ISP, unless you have gigabit internet (then just make sure what you get supports gigabit speeds - most stuff does).

You may need to talk to your ISP to activate the new modem, once it's plugged in. Of course, make sure the cable jack (round screw thing, blue section) is plugged in the way your old rented one was.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Ubiquiti and Cisco make pretty good net gear. The kewl kids get a capable router/modem combo and an access point antenna to have better house coverage for wifi stuff.
United States of America SoldieR
Pro Player
ESO: SoldieR

Post by SoldieR »

Ya dont you jsut plug wall cable into modem then phone cord from modem to router?