What kind of civilizations would you like to see on this game?

No Flag DracoWolfgand
Skirmisher

What kind of civilizations would you like to see on this game?

Post by DracoWolfgand »

I was pondering whether to put this on here, OR on the "User-made content" session,but as this is less of a full-fledged mod idea, and
more just some disorganized thoughts...

So, what I would want to see, would be American civilizations. Like... Civilizations based-around the colonies, on the New World. I mean, fudge, how did the developers made a game about the colonization of the New World, and they did not thought to include a single civilization based on a colony? That would be kind of like making a strategy game set in Medieval Europe and not include any knights. But anyway:

I am a bit of a fan of Wars of Liberty, of course( And thankfull for then for doing... What I just said ), but I think there are other approached that could have been taken. FOR A EXAMPLE: I like the idea of the American civilizations( Which would, as I said, be based around the New World colonies ) having a... Peculiar ability.

They can build a Native Embassy OR a European Embassy( A building unique to then ), but not both. They also cannot build the Saloon. Instead, how do I explain it...

The Native Embassy would, other then be another site to train Native units, unlock one set of unique units, based partially around native americans common on the area. The European Embassy would, other then letting you hire outlaws and mercenaries like a Saloon, let you train a-Different-Set of unique units, based around European units.

For a example, say a civilization on this game is Mexico. Their Native Embassy would thus allow then to train certain infantry units, including particularly one that would resemble the Coyote Runner( Though with some tweaks as to not be too blatant of a ripoff ). Their European Embassy would allow then to train certain cavalry units, particularly one, that I am thinking of calling the Conquistador( It would be a unit similar to the Dragoon, with some differences. A big one is that it would get a multiplier against
Heavy infantry-INSTEAD-Of Heavy Cavalry. In fact, it would even get a attack penalty against Heavy Cavalry. )

What I ponder is: If we go with the Wars of Liberty "Cultures" idea, then what would be the Americans own special little way to age up :p.

Another thing, this one inspired by Wars of Liberty too: A civilization that is a walking referrence to the original AoE. Just like the Maltese, in Wars of Liberty, have a army composition that plays like a AoK civilization, this one, would have a army composition that would resemble the one of a AoE civilization. That would include:

Two different heavy infantry units: Both meele. One of then would be relatively fast and cheap, but weak. The other would be slower and more expensive, but have a massive attack and a also huge multiplier against cavalry.

Three different Heavy Cavalry units: One that would kind of be a fusion between the Cavalry-line and the Chariot-Line. It would play mostly like a standarty heavy cavalry unit, though with a shipment, it could gain the ability to deal trample damage and gain a small anti-infantry bonus, thus majorly increasing its efficiency against infantry. And the last, avaliable only at the Industrial Age, would be the War Elephant, of course :p. To set it apart from the Mahout, it would lack its multipliers, and have MUCH slower speed( Perhaps even slower then most infantry units, like 3.5 ), but MUCH higher Attack( Around 40-45 )

One Light Infantry unit: Cheap, not very strong, but relatively long-ranged. Probably kind of like the Longbowman.w

And two light cavalry units: One of then would play more like a standart light cavalry units. It would not have as high of a anti-heavy cavalry multiplier as usual, but with the right shipments, it could become-Extremely-Quick and hard hitting, thus increasing its efficiency against heavy infantry. The other, unlocked only at the Industrial Age, would be the... I am actually thinking of naming it "Elephant Gunner". It would play mostly like the Howdah does: A bulky cavalry unit with unusually high siege damage. Like before: Much lower speed, but much higher attack.

Problem: I have absolutely no idea, of what civilization would have had a army composition even resembling that, on the timeframe of AoE3. But hey, it could be fun :p.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Re: What kind of civilizations would you like to see on this game?

Post by deleted_user »

Colonization did not just occur on American soil, and still there are the Native civs.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

The rest of your ideas have already been implemented in mods or are bad.

A cavalry unit slower than infantry is laughable.
United States of America Amsel_
Howdah
ESO: The_Amsel

Post by Amsel_ »

Austria is the only civ that really sticks out as missing. There's no way someone didn't bring it up while the game was in development.
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

Given the timeframe, Sweden/Hungary/Poland are really missing as well. These countries were absolute units and at least Sweden also had colonies (although that argument seems irrelevant when including Ottomans anyway).
Whatever is written above: this is no financial advice.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
No Flag DracoWolfgand
Skirmisher

Post by DracoWolfgand »

Well, do you think that the creators of Wars of Liberty cared that there was already a mod( Napoleonic Wars ) that included America as a civilization when they were making the mod? No. No they didnt. They just went with their own approach on it.

Theoretically, any civilization that existed on the timeframe-Could-Be included on the game. "Could" and "Should" are, however, different things. And, in my personal opinion, the main factor to decide whether they "should" be included in the game is: "Can we think of a intersting plaiyng style for this civilization that both resembles what would one expect knowing the nation history and culture, is sufficiently different from the ones of any other civ already on the game to do not feel like just more of the same, as is neither too overpowered nor too underpowered compared to every civilization on the game?"

For a example, I would LOVE to see Poland Winged Hussars on this game! I just wouldnt know how to make then stand out from Cuirassier and other similar "elite" cavalry units.
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor
ECL Reigning ChampsDonator 01
ESO: Riotcoke
Clan: UwU

Post by Riotcoke »

Fix the British flag and make them OP so they're Historically correct, then nothing else needs to be changed.

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
Holy See Imperial Noob
Lancer

Post by Imperial Noob »

No Flag DracoWolfgand
Skirmisher

Post by DracoWolfgand »

Huh. My first thought would be just making it a Royal Guard unit, and giving the Poland a few unique cards dedicated to improving Hussars. I will give it, though, your idea is MUCH more original :p.
Holy See Imperial Noob
Lancer

Post by Imperial Noob »

DracoWolfgand wrote:Huh. My first thought would be just making it a Royal Guard unit, and giving the Poland a few unique cards dedicated to improving Hussars. I will give it, though, your idea is MUCH more original :p.
The thing is, Winged Hussars were hussars only by name and a common interest in fancy clothing. They were noblemen of various wealth, essentially orientalized knights.

Compare hussars:
9e_Hussards,_par_Victor_Huen.jpg
And Winged Hussars (or: Husaria)
husaria.jpg
Czech Republic Googol
Retired Contributor
ESO: Butifle

Post by Googol »

Imperial Noob wrote:
DracoWolfgand wrote:Huh. My first thought would be just making it a Royal Guard unit, and giving the Poland a few unique cards dedicated to improving Hussars. I will give it, though, your idea is MUCH more original :p.
The thing is, Winged Hussars were hussars only by name and a common interest in fancy clothing. They were noblemen of various wealth, essentially orientalized knights.

Compare hussars:
9e_Hussards,_par_Victor_Huen.jpg
And Winged Hussars (or: Husaria)
husaria.jpg
The originial kebab removers
United States of America Papist
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Papist

Post by Papist »

They paid them lip service with that age 4 German shipment, but it would indeed be cool if they were included as an actual unit, perhaps as a substitute for the stradiot.
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

I would also be ok with an Austrian civ which has a mechanic comparable to the consulate, e.g. "Imperial Allies" or "Habsburg Realm", granting units with Polish/Hungarian/Czech/Spanish/Italian/Flemish context.

edit: the more I think about it, the more I actually love it.
Whatever is written above: this is no financial advice.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
Serbia ShinkuroYukinari
Dragoon
ESO: ShinkuroYukinari
Clan: BANIN

Post by ShinkuroYukinari »

WOL has a very well made Habsburg civ, which would be great to see in AOE3 in the future if you ask me :)
For those unaware, Habsburgs are defined by 2 things
1. They age up by strategic marriages, getting a certain civ's bonus with each ageup. For example, you can age to 2 with British, Portuguese, French or Spanish bonus
2. Their units are incredibly expensive and pop demanding, but they are really strong. For example, a jacked up Musketeer with 300HP costing 2 pop
My signature was removed, MOD ABUSE!
No Flag DracoWolfgand
Skirmisher

Post by DracoWolfgand »

You know one of the few things I didnt liked about WOL? Their approach on the "old" European civs.

When they "rehauled" then, they also replaced the more archaic unique units of most with more modern unique units. While it certainly made it more historically accurate( I will admit: The British really have no business still using Longbowman well into the Industrial Age ), it also contributed further to a problem that AoE3, to me, had since the beggining: A lot of the time, the European civilizations felt kind of... "Generic."

I dont know how to put it rationally. It would be unfair to say they all play the same. But I just though civilizations had more personality on the two previous games of the franchise. Say: The Goths from AoK had a completely differeny army composition and used completely different tactics from the Franks, and the Saracens, and the Italians etc.